A Bermuda Cruise in Review: Summit (with pics!)

ChampionCruiser

Thanks for your review! I will let you know if I am able to get the ornament. We were on the Oasis in November. This trip will certainly be quite different, but I'm certain amazing! The last time we cruised to Bermuda it was on the Horizon and we loved it.

Thanks again for even checking! I would have loved to cruise on one of the smaller ships to St. George's. I'm sure that was a great experience.

Where there any specials that we should be aware and ready to take advantage of the first day on the boat....internet time, spa...drinks?

There wasn't anything that jumped out at any of us because we didn't take advantage of anything. I'm no help there, i'm afraid.

Did you rent chairs....cost?

This I can answer! Yes, we did rent chairs. There were a couple of options: a simple fold out chair or a "4 position lounger". The loungers were $10 each plus a $10 deposit that is returned. They also rented umbrellas and gear at the same place. I believe the regular chairs were $7.

Congratulations on your graduation. What an interesting and unique career choice. Very fitting you celebrated with the two cruises, it must be so much fun having that insight when sailing.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise EVER in 2 months on the Summit to Bermuda and your photos and review makes me so excited. I cannot wait! Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort for this great review. It's much appreciated.

Okay, your extensive review was a seller. I just booked and will be on the July 15th sailing.... It wasn't hard convincing my son, just off a merchant marine training ship for 45 days in the north Atlantic, to take a pleasure cruise. Thanks for time spent putting it all together, and the follow-ups!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your wonderful review. My husband and I will be on the Summit on July 22nd.

Did you meet anyone or hear anything about Harbor Nights in Hamilton? I've read about this Wednesday and know it takes place only on Wednesday nights during the summer. Trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Congrats on your graduation!

Vicki

We went to Harbor Nights last week, it was packed. It was one of the things I was looking most forward to, I especially wanted to see the Gombey dancers. However, it was so crowded we left after about 40 minutes and never got to see much of anything.

Great review! Thank you for taking all the time to do such an extensive review with all the pictures.

Just booked our 3rd cruise to Bermuda. Looking forward to visiting there on the Summit.

Just wondering, with all the cutbacks to late night food, my DH likes a late night snack. Is there anywhere to get pizza late at night, other than room service?

Also, we are in our 50's and enjoy dancing, not ballroom. Is there decent music to dance to at night?

Diane

Thanks for the wonderfully written, detailed review! On Sunday I'm going on my 15th trip to Bermuda (2nd trip on the Summit, but 12th Celebrity cruise), and it makes me happy to see that your account of your trip has inspired others. Bermuda is my favorite place, and a Celebrity cruise is my favorite way to get there.

The information I was seeking about embarkation in Cape Liberty was here, so thank you, especially, for that. I live in NJ (I'll echo others' sentiments -- out-of-staters please keep your eyes on the industrial buildings and the swamps, and leave us our mountains, woods, beaches, and charming suburbs), and it's a quick drive from my house to the port. We were delayed by traffic last year, so I wasn't sure how early to leave. It's good to know that we can arrive 11ish and not wait around too long. :)

Good luck in your studies overseas. I hope we'll be reading more reviews from you soon!

We have often talked about Bermuda as a trip for a cruise, but really didn't know much about it. Thank you for the great information. I have no doubt we will try it sooner rather than later. Perhaps we will do an Aug or Sept cruise when the water would be a little warmer I assume.As we are not nearly as young as you, I would see us using buses and taxis, but it is grand to know where to start. Thanks for all the work you did on your review.

A great review and fab photos. It really made me wish for sea days and blue skies!! Looking forward to booking my next cruise and interested in Bermuda now. We went on the Summit in April 2011 and it was a lovely ship even before the refurbishment. I have enjoyed cruising with celebrity the most so far.

Thanks again.

I have enjoyed reading your review, along with your pictures. Although this will be our 5th cruise to Beemuda, it will be our first with Celebrity. Your information has been very helpful. Thanks for the information on the brunch on the last day and that it has replaced the midnight one. I like that it seems they still hold it (at least it looks like it from your pictures) in the main dining room. I love taking pictures of all the beautiful food at the midnight buffet and when NCL changed there's to the buffet area it doesn't have the same elegance with the sneeze guards in the picture, LOL.

Which brings me off topic. What camera did you take these beautiful pictures. If it was with a point and shoot, I'm impressed and would look into getting the same one.

Thanks again for a wonderful review.

Thanks for the wonderful review and pictures. For some one who has done this cruise on the Summit twice before (Also went to Bermuda in 2006 on RCCL), I felt like I was back there. My husband and I are not beach people, but in 2006 we did spend the day (with friends) at Horseshoe Bay and it was fantastic! We had great weather most of the 3 trips to Bermuda. We enjoyed riding the buses and ferries. The last trip we stopped at The Swizzle Inn outside of St. Georges and loved it. We have also done lots of sight seeing over the three trips.

MY NIKKON Cool Pic takes pictures like yours and all are great..

My DH and I will be going back on the Summit Sept 21, 2013 to New England and Canada. It will be my fourth time on the Summit and first since they refurbished. Am in cabin 8147 (next to 8145, which is across from a staff service door). Am wondering if I'm going to hear the door slamming. Have time, but not sure if we should upgrade to Aqua Class. Just have a deposit and haven't paid in full and probably won't till next year.

For any one going in the future, it is easy to learn the transportation system. The first time we went we did take a narrative tour around the Island, then after that it was easy do it ourselves. The last day we stayed at the dockyard and did the shops. We took these trips as a casual vacation and Bermuda is easy to do, you just have to keep going back.

The Summit is a relatively small ship (2000) versus the Silhouette which we were on this past February. I enjoy a smaller ship.

Great photos! We will be on the ship this sunday to Bermuda, what cabin were u in?

Have you joined the roll call? If not, please do and sign up for the Connections party for which CC'ers will get an invitation in your stateroom. See ya then!

• 2 months later...

We are inviting a few of our Cruise Critic members and readers to be among the first to participate and have a chance to have their Celebrity vacation and destination images and videos shared with the rest of the world.

We’re admirers of some of the photos and stories you’ve shared. Today, we’ve launched Celebrity Cruises Storybook hosted on our Celebrity Cruises Facebook Page.

Please take a look at http://on.fb.me/QVlbwI and click on Add Your Story. Follow the simple instructions. We’ll review the content and your Celebrity Cruises story could be shared with others and possibly used in our marketing materials.

Thanks for your participation and being such a strong supporter of our brand.

All the best……Brian

Brian P. Powell

Celebrity Cruises

Marketing

Archived