Temperatures in Norwegian Fjords Mid-July to Mid-August

Does anyone know what the average temperatures are in the Norwegian fjords during July-August? We are booked on a 14 day cruise starting 21 July and as we are only allowed one suitcase (23 kilos) each, and a carry-on, we have to be very selective with our packing. Will we need rain gear? Are there likely to be more warm days than cool-to-cold?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I live in the middle of the fjord-land, so i should be qualified to answer your question.

Were in the Fjords are you going? If you do the "complete" tour - from south to north, I guess you can experience everything from HOT summer (around 25-30 deg. celcius) to winter-like temperatures below 10 deg celcius. (I'm sorry. I don't know the farnheit scale) I guess you will also experience rainy days and super-sunny days.

So, my advice will be to pac for all occasions. Use many thin layers instead of one THICK. And for sure - I guess you need some protection against the rain.

But.. in my part of the country - around Geiranger - we usually have the best of the summer in late july-august, but the weather here is so unpredictable that we can't tell the as a general rule that goes for every year.

Does anyone know what the average temperatures are in the Norwegian fjords during July-August? We are booked on a 14 day cruise starting 21 July and as we are only allowed one suitcase (23 kilos) each, and a carry-on, we have to be very selective with our packing. Will we need rain gear? Are there likely to be more warm days than cool-to-cold? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As reflected down below in my live/blog from being there in July and as noted by Trotto, weather conditions will vary and you need to be flexible, layer, etc., etc.

Overall, we knew it would be cooler in parts and we prepared accordingly. Fortunately, our weather was sunny (with an exception on one morning) and things worked very well for us. Below are a few pictures to prove it. Many more details and pictures on the full live/blog connected below.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for July 27, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 63 °F last year with a low of 52 °F, with an average high on this date of 63 °F with an average low of 52 °F. During recent history, the high has been 80 °F (2008) and a low of 46 °F (1999) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

What ports are you visiting?? Reactions and other questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,302 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

How lucky can you get? To live near the beautiful Geiranger! We have not visited there yet but we do have from 09.00 to 18.00 on 31 July to see as much as possible of this lovely area, following cruising Geirangerfjord for 2 hours, from 07.00.

We are indeed doing the "full tour" and our others ports of call are Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, Flam, Rotterdam, Bergen, Alesund, Aidfjord, with scenic cruising in Oslo Fjord, Lysefjord, Sognefjord and Hardangerfjord along the route. Our cruise starts and ends in Rotterdam and the ship is the MS ROTTERDAM.

Thanks so much for your help as regards climatic conditions - kinda sounds like we can expect just about anything and we will try to pack accordingly! Have no problem with cool or even cold weather, but we'd appreciate clear, dry, gale-free days! Whatever the weather, one month from today we'll be on our way! We can't wait!

Hi TLCOhio,

Thanks for your reply, which sounds very encouraging, weatherwise! We will, of course, take something for any weather. At least we will have good reason to limit our packing of "formal wear"!!

In my reply to Trotto I named all our ports of call and if we get the weather that your lovely photos indicate, we'll be thrilled, since the scenery looks quite amazing.

Hi TLCOhio, Thanks for your reply, which sounds very encouraging, weatherwise! We will, of course, take something for any weather. At least we will have good reason to limit our packing of "formal wear"!! In my reply to Trotto I named all our ports of call and if we get the weather that your lovely photos indicate, we'll be thrilled, since the scenery looks quite amazing.

PASSENGERES: our others ports of call are Oslo' date=' Kristiansand, Stavanger, Flam, Rotterdam, Bergen, Alesund, Aidfjord, with scenic cruising in Oslo Fjord, Lysefjord, Sognefjord and Hardangerfjord along the route. Our cruise starts and ends in Rotterdam and the ship is the MS ROTTERDAM. [/quote']

Appreciate the added information on your upcoming Norway cruising out of Rotterdam. Fun!! Yes, lots to see, love and do in Norway. We have been to Oslo (in 2008 during a Baltics cruise), plus Flam, Bergen and Alesund during our July 2010 as detailed below on the live/blog with many of my pictures and other tips, ideas, etc. Below are a few tips and visuals. Happy to share more. Let us know any added questions.

The Oslofjord is not a real "fjord". It's nice to see, but it is just a long, nice sail-in. It does not have the huge "drama" you will have in going to Flam, etc., being surrounded by these close, high mountains, etc.

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,421 views.

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Hi TLCOhio,

I can't tell you how thrilled and grateful we are that you took the time and trouble to post such detailed and interesting information on the highlights of many of our cruise ports of call. Thanks also for the great websites, which are very helpful.

It is obvious that you love Norway and I am sure that after our cruising and sightseeing experiences, we will share your enthusiasm. We are hoping to take lots of photographs and will be delighted if they turn out to be as beautiful as yours are.

Hi TLCOhio, I can't tell you how thrilled and grateful we are that you took the time and trouble to post such detailed and interesting information on the highlights of many of our cruise ports of call. Thanks also for the great websites, which are very helpful. It is obvious that you love Norway and I am sure that after our cruising and sightseeing experiences, we will share your enthusiasm. We are hoping to take lots of photographs and will be delighted if they turn out to be as beautiful as yours are.

Appreciate so much your kind and positive comments on the pictures and posting for Norway. Yes, I'll be looking for that check in the mail from the Norway tourism people. It's easy and fun to share the glory and beauty for this interesting country that offers so much. Sorry, earlier, I double posted a fish market picture from Bergen. Below are a few more from Norway to keep the excitement building. Let us know any added questions.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 73,421 views.

From higher, here’s a view of the Fish Market area and other buildings in the main part of Bergen.

BergenFishMarkTown.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

Here is Oslo’s City Hall exterior and one of its large interior spaces where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded annually on December 10 each year. This structure houses the city council and city administration, plus art studios and galleries. The construction started in 1931 with the main structure completed in 1936. The German invasion of Norway in 1940 caused construction to stop, and it was not resumed until 1947. This City Hall was official opened in 1950. Its characteristic architecture, artworks and the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony makes it one of Oslo's most famous buildings. The roof of the eastern tower has a 49-bell carillon which plays every hour. This City Hall is situated in central downtown Oslo dramatically overlooking the scenic harbor area.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

• 7 months later...
Hi

I live in the middle of the fjord-land, so i should be qualified to answer your question.

Were in the Fjords are you going? If you do the "complete" tour - from south to north, I guess you can experience everything from HOT summer (around 25-30 deg. celcius) to winter-like temperatures below 10 deg celcius. (I'm sorry. I don't know the farnheit scale) I guess you will also experience rainy days and super-sunny days.

So, my advice will be to pac for all occasions. Use many thin layers instead of one THICK. And for sure - I guess you need some protection against the rain.

But.. in my part of the country - around Geiranger - we usually have the best of the summer in late july-august, but the weather here is so unpredictable that we can't tell the as a general rule that goes for every year.

Ok as a resident, I assume you have an idea what is "normal". I know there are always exceptions and we are planning for anything and everything. Our cruise is the first two weeks in June and we go all the way to North Cape and Spitsbergen. I expect some cold weather that far north, but "in general" do you see much fog and rain along the coastline further south during early June? Thanks

Any information on Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger and Flam for shore excursions on our own. Family with 3 kids 15, 13 and 11. Also, and tips about the msRotterdam boat. Never sailed before. Anything we should know??

Welcome to these Cruise Critic Boards. Keep these good questions rolling along!! We've been to both Oslo (in 2008 during a Baltics/Russia cruise) and Flam during our fjords/Arctic Circle trip detailed via the live/blog connected below. I posted more details on another thread you started that details some Oslo and Flam info and questions.

With more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

From our previous travels to many great cities/ports of Europe, here are some of my book and research tips. You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. Right now for our early 2014 Australia-New Zealand cruise, I have a big stack of all of the major travel books from the library for these two countries.

These resources, especially the visual ones, can help you better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very good in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps. One option for some private tour and other local options is to contract the tourism office in each of your ports. You can use Google.com and put in the search term such as "city/port name tourism office". Then follow-up to each of those office by e-mail, ask your questions, get their suggestions, options to consider, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 94,022 views.

Ok as a resident, I assume you have an idea what is "normal". I know there are always exceptions and we are planning for anything and everything. Our cruise is the first two weeks in June and we go all the way to North Cape and Spitsbergen. I expect some cold weather that far north, but "in general" do you see much fog and rain along the coastline further south during early June? Thanks

I'm not a coastal resident, but the western fjords are known for rain. The climate reminds me a bit of Seattle, so rain and fog are more the norm than not. Bergen is particularly famous for rain, though many of us have been lucky enough to see blue-sky port days in May and June. "In general," the fjord weather in the summer is: high 50s and 60s F, overcast with light rain and a fog in the mountains. As you get farther north, you typically see clearer but cooler weather. In Spitsbergen, expect temperatures in the mid-to-high 30s F with a strong wind (especially during the tender ride).

Thanks so much for responding to my query on June weather. Every little bit helps. I read recently that southern Norway was having an unusually cold winter and northern Norway was warmer than normal with less ice. So it will be interesting o see what we get. Thanks!

We have been to Norway during several summers and have had every sort of weather you can imagine including torrential, torrential rain, sunny & warm days and very cold days. Come prepared!

Chicago Web - if you have several children with you in Oslo & Stavanger we would recommend the Oslo Folk Museum (take small boat over to Bygdoy from the harbour near where the ship berths) and the Oil Museum in Stavanger - sounds dull but is great fun with many interactive activities including a mock up oil rig and 3D film presentations. We had a great time there.

There is NEVER a time in Norway when you can say "that's it, set fair for a fortnight, no need for a raincoat". (The same is true in Britain.) If you go to Norway, you need a raincoat, end of story.

Besides, it's over a thousand miles north to south. Trying to assess the weather over the whole region is a bit like doing a forecast for San Diego and Seattle - the same forecast may not be relevant for both places.

And although Bergen's known for rain, I've been there about 25 days in my life and known only 2 wet ones. And one of those was in February. Enjoy!

Archived