Which ships offer self serve soda?

I thought I've read that some of the ships have self serve soda where the machine gets activated by a chip in the bottom of the special cup they give you. Anyone know which ships have this feature? And are those the machines that some restaurants have that offer hundreds of flavor combinations?

I thought I've read that some of the ships have self serve soda where the machine gets activated by a chip in the bottom of the special cup they give you. Anyone know which ships have this feature? And are those the machines that some restaurants have that offer hundreds of flavor combinations?

Nope... you got me..... Never heard of this before !!!

:confused:

Freedom does. No, five or six flavors.

Only a couple of ships that the machines and the cups with the RFID chip in them. I think it is Freedom and Majesty.

The other machines you refer to are on order with one coming soon to Majesty.

Edit: this thread has details

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630292&highlight=freestyle

No they don't give them to you, you pay for a soda package. Also they are not like the new fancy ones at Wendy's and other places, just standard soda machines. You'll have to do your own mixes.

Last time on majesty (a few months ago) they had one as you came out of the windjammer onto to pool deck. The soda package cups have an embedded RF id chip which is programmed to allow you to use this dispenser for the length of your cruise. The technology also limits the amount of soda per fill (one full cup) and how long you must wait until you can initiate another fill. I liked not having to find an open bar in the morning (diet coke is my coffee) or wait at a busy pool bar for a refill.

The service rep was onboard on embarkation day. He indicated that it was his hope that the units would be installed fleet wide.

Freestyle! I could not remember the name, thank you! I know that the cup with the chip only comes when you purchase the soda card, I just hate dealing with bartenders for "free" soda all the time if I don't have to. I've found they are a little nicer when you are purchasing something. Guess I'll buy a diet coke each morning instead of getting a soda card this cruise.

For those not familiar with the Coke Freestyle machines they are great. You have the choice from many different coke products and then when you select your soda it brings up another menu offering additional options. So you can choose Diet Coke and then pick other flavorings like Lemon, Lime, Vanilla, Raspberry etc. Just a little more fun for soda drinkers than plain soda

coke-freestyle-machine-122110-xlg.jpg

DietCoke.jpg

It doesn't matter to me if they install them on all of the ships, I'll still go to the bar and get a fresh glass with each drink. I don't much like carrying around the Coke cup when I'm not having a soft drink.

It doesn't matter to me if they install them on all of the ships, I'll still go to the bar and get a fresh glass with each drink. I don't much like carrying around the Coke cup when I'm not having a soft drink.

Well...I guess they shouldn't install them then. That settles it.

Freestyle! I could not remember the name, thank you! I know that the cup with the chip only comes when you purchase the soda card, I just hate dealing with bartenders for "free" soda all the time if I don't have to. I've found they are a little nicer when you are purchasing something. Guess I'll buy a diet coke each morning instead of getting a soda card this cruise.

For those not familiar with the Coke Freestyle machines they are great. You have the choice from many different coke products and then when you select your soda it brings up another menu offering additional options. So you can choose Diet Coke and then pick other flavorings like Lemon, Lime, Vanilla, Raspberry etc. Just a little more fun for soda drinkers than plain soda

coke-freestyle-machine-122110-xlg.jpg

DietCoke.jpg

Those are fun! Once they start advertising that they have those, more people will buy soda pkgs. I won't right now, but probably will then since I love flavored fizzy water.

I would assume you can still get cokes at the bars. I am not usre the chip would work for me at lunch. I usually go for a refill at lunch. Do you know how much time you have to have between the fill ups?

The soda package is convenient--but, likely costs me more than if I bought each Coke. I know I could bring Diet Coke on cheaper. My DH does this. He likes tea for dinner and drinks one Coke at lunch. He just brings on a 12-pack for the trip.

Archived