MS Sea Venture literature: What do I do with it?

When we cleaned out my girl friend's parent's house (her mother was a travel agent, and they took many cruises (sadly both now deceased), I came upon this wonderful folder for the Sea Venture. Apparently they went on her, and it is filled with tons of cruise ephemera from a cruise on the ship. Daily programs, passenger list, the thing is loaded with stuff.

Since Pacific Princess got sold for scrap :( I think I'm going to hold on to this folder.

This reminds me of when Sea Venture came to the aid of QE2 in 1974. Sea Venture's captain, Torbjorn Hauge, who stayed up countless hours without sleep, had said: "We'll sleep when we get old".

Here's to remembering the ship that MADE cruising what it is today, Sea Venture!

As I said above, while I may not know what to do with it, I'm holding on to it!

I could never throw it out!

I'll have to post some photos when I have the time. Sadly, you cannot upload photos here, you need to host them elsewhere at your expense :( As with the cruise lines, it's all about money here!

When we cleaned out my girl friend's parent's house (her mother was a travel agent, and they took many cruises (sadly both now deceased), I came upon this wonderful folder for the Sea Venture. Apparently they went on her, and it is filled with tons of cruise ephemera from a cruise on the ship. Daily programs, passenger list, the thing is loaded with stuff.

Since Pacific Princess got sold for scrap :( I think I'm going to hold on to this folder.

This reminds me of when Sea Venture came to the aid of QE2 in 1974. Sea Venture's captain, Torbjorn Hauge, who stayed up countless hours without sleep, had said: "We'll sleep when we get old".

Here's to remembering the ship that MADE cruising what it is today, Sea Venture!

Funny seeing the photo of the Old Regal Empress! Before landing up in Ft Lauderdale, she spent several years sailing the Caribbean out of Port Manatee in Florida. We used to do last-minute cruises with some of the neighbors and had a blast. I can recall that the food onboard was excellent and found out that the chef's salary was significantly higher than that of the captain! Unfortunately the business foundered and she left for the other coast and now, I believe, she is no longer with us but has been reduced to bits of metal. She was swaybacked, but we loved her anyway.

Thanks for reminding us!

If I were you I would hold on to them for the memories that her dear mother had.

I know it does not have to do with cruises but I have some old Pan Am brouchures from 1973. One of them is for Hawaii and advertises 8 days in Waikiki from $56.00 plus airfare. Sign me up!

I see they moved the thread over here. Oy! These CC boards baffle my mind at times! I used to be a mod at other forums, but the mods here make me wonder why I contribute here! They bury threads in forums folks hardly ever visit. Then again, they have wayyyy to many forums to begin with!

Still seems like they are in the cruise line's pocket. Sorry, it is what it is.

I like to contribute, but moving my thread requires one heck of an excuse, and moving it here is not one! Just another grave yard for posts they don't want to read.

I'll have to post some photos when I have the time. Sadly, you cannot upload photos here, you need to host them elsewhere at your expense :( As with the cruise lines, it's all about money here!

Couldn't you post those photos in the "photo gallery" thread?

I see they moved the thread over here. Oy! These CC boards baffle my mind at times! I used to be a mod at other forums, but the mods here make me wonder why I contribute here! They bury threads in forums folks hardly ever visit. Then again, they have wayyyy to many forums to begin with!

Still seems like they are in the cruise line's pocket. Sorry, it is what it is.

I like to contribute, but moving my thread requires one heck of an excuse, and moving it here is not one! Just another grave yard for posts they don't want to read.

Agreed.....:(

• 7 months later...

Ahhh the Sea Venture! My first cruise. :)

Very small, only 626 passengers on a 550 foot ship, a much lower ratio than nowadays. It's funny to read descriptions like "the new standard of luxury", I just remember it as being very "mod".

• 3 weeks later...

One of my first immigrant ancestors to come to America came on the "Sea Venture", with a stop in Bermuda.

But that picture does not look like the same boat, since he came in 1607-8 :)

But it does make the name a most historic one.

Doug McDonald

• 4 weeks later...

What on earth are you talking about "at your expense"? The majority of photo hosting sites on the internet are 100% free. Photobucket, Flickr, Tinypic, and that is just to name a few of the most popular. :confused:

Archived