Chef's Table Solo???

ilovetexas

I'm taking my DS12 on the Glory in a couple of weeks. We've got a fabulous trip planned for Boston pre-cruise then the cruise. He's a great cruiser. Loves all of it. Insists on wearing a tie to dinner every night and intelligently discussing the menu (yes, I'm raising a foodie). I've got reservations to the Steakhouse the first night for us; just one more special thing for him to enjoy.

That said, even though he is mature and well behaved; I would never (even if it were allowed) consider taking him to the Chef's Table. He's 12 and that is an adult night. Since DH is staying home with the other kids, I either don't participate in the Chef's Table, which I am dying to try, or I have to do it solo.

Any opinions? I used to travel for business so I'm used to dining alone but it seems like that might be strange. Is it more of a group conversation / experience, or should I wait until DH can go with me?

I would go and enjoy. Its for all practical purposes, unlimited wine, so to me would be wasted on a child. I agree with you on this point.

As long as you are confident your son will behave .. go for it. I do stuff solo all the time and doesnt bother me.

I would go and enjoy. Its for all practical purposes, unlimited wine, so to me would be wasted on a child. I agree with you on this point.

As long as you are confident your son will behave .. go for it. I do stuff solo all the time and doesnt bother me.

Oh, I'm not worried about leaving him alone for a few hours. He is truly the best cruising child in the family. Loves the clubs, loves the ships, extremely well mannered (around OTHERS!). He said it's a good thing we'll get to spend time together in Boston since I probably won't see him on the ship! :D

I don't mind sitting at a table by myself, seeing a movie by myself, etc. But in this venue, I won't be sitting by myself and I don't want to feel awkward or make others feel awkward for me. If that makes sense.

Any opinions? I used to travel for business so I'm used to dining alone but it seems like that might be strange. Is it more of a group conversation / experience, or should I wait until DH can go with me?

You know, since he is so well behaved and well dressed why not? I don't know if Carnival allows it though. I am sure someone on here knows. OTOH, maybe he could do Camp Carnival while you enjoy a nice meal.

I say take him. I don't consider 12 to be too young for it. With the exception of the wine I don't think it would be wasted on him. If he's a foodie what a great experience this would be for him! Go with him, what a great memory to make with him!

You know, since he is so well behaved and well dressed why not? I don't know if Carnival allows it though. I am sure someone on here knows. OTOH, maybe he could do Camp Carnival while you enjoy a nice meal.

Oh, no. I don't want him to come with me. He'll either be at Camp Carnival, watching a MUTS (or whatever they call that on Carnival), or whatever strikes his fancy. He won't even be bothered eating dinner alone in the MDR. That kid is like me, he likes his alone time, isn't shy, could talk to a fence post, etc. He's coming with me to the steakhouse on the first night, so that's our "special" night out on the cruise.

I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be strange for me to show up alone at the Chef's Table.

Found this online~

Carnival has introduced an exciting fine dining option for our guests – The Chef’s Table. This one-of-a-kind culinary experience includes an exquisite multi-course private dinner hosted by one of the line’s master chefs along with a private champagne reception (soft drinks for kids) and a personalized tour of the galley.

So it looks like the do not have an age limit~ if you think your son would enjoy it~take him with you~ otherwise I'd wait till you could go with your husband~ seems like a great night that I would want to share with someone.

I'm not reading your post the way some others seem to be.

It isn't that OP is wondering about whether his son should join him.

It's about the experience at the Chef's table as a solo.

I don't know why this would be any different from solo cruisers at dinner in general.

I've been seated with other solos in the MDR, with couples, with families, with friends sailing together.

I'm an introvert and I specifically do set dining because I believe that the ability to make small talk is a very useful skill to cultivate. It may sound silly, but I think my interviews (lost my job in May 2009 after my Victory cruise) were more relaxed thanks to my making that effort to engage in small talk with strangers.

I'm actually considering doing the Chef's Table on Leg 1 of my B2B when I'm solo.

We have been to 4 Chef's tables and 3 of those had someone solo. It didn't seem strange at all. All three fit right in and chatted with their table mates. A lot of the time you will be interacting with the Chef as he explains his creations.

You are blessed to have such a mature 12 year old. Reward yourself for teaching him well and go and enjoy the Chef's Table.

Just go for it it's moms night out! I am sure you will be fine :) as a single dad raising 2 boys alone I had to take my chances many times and not regret one of them. Well except when Vegas was supposed to be for families...ooops...I just considered that educational. .

We did Chef's Table back in May on the Triumph, and there was one solo lady, and it was not awkward at all. The Chef was talking with us almost the whole time, and everyone was talking with him, so everyone felt included. I didn't see a whole lot of one on one discussion between the "couples", because we were all talking to others at the table, talking about how wonderful the food was, etc. I was there with my adult daughter, but I would have felt very comfortable attending by myself.

I took my DD to chef's table (she was 15) and we both enjoyed it, but I totally understand your wanting it to be an adult outing. I don't think there would be any issue at all going solo. Had there been a solo seated near me when we went, I wouldn't have thought anything of it and would have engaged him or her in conversation just as we did the others at the table. Go, and have a wonderful time!!

On the Magic, Another wife and I were solo for the last half of the experience because both our husbands were seasick! We had not met before and we did fine! Solo chefs table is just fine - everyone was very friendly. Do it!

I would still take the kid. He will have a blast. He is going on teenager, he can handle it and it would be a great bonding experience imho... Being a teacher of high school students, they can handle a great deal more adult stuff than they are given credit for. :rolleyes:

I'm doing the Chef's Table solo on my upcoming cruise in September. I had the same concerns you do, but also thought it would be an experience I didn't want to miss. I also asked for advice on cc and was told to go for it! Everybody told me I should do it. I can't wait!!

I say take him. I don't consider 12 to be too young for it. With the exception of the wine I don't think it would be wasted on him. If he's a foodie what a great experience this would be for him! Go with him, what a great memory to make with him!

Oh, no. I don't want him to come with me. He'll either be at Camp Carnival, watching a MUTS (or whatever they call that on Carnival), or whatever strikes his fancy. He won't even be bothered eating dinner alone in the MDR. That kid is like me, he likes his alone time, isn't shy, could talk to a fence post, etc. He's coming with me to the steakhouse on the first night, so that's our "special" night out on the cruise.

I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be strange for me to show up alone at the Chef's Table.

I'm probably not commenting exactly on what your asking but here it goes.

I say you should do what you want. Sounds like he would have fun on it so if you want to take him, take him. I'm 29 and am going to do the Chef's Table with my husband this upcoming cruise. It wouldn't bother us to have a 12 year old at dinner.

Then on the other hand, if you are wanting to go alone, I don't think anyone would feel sorry for you and I don't think it would be weird either. That would be like saying a solo cruiser shouldn't cruise because they would be lonely.

So either take him and have fun, or go yourself and have fun.

To answer another part of your post, "Should I wait for my husband to attend with me on another cruise."

Personally I would wait. I have traveled for my job and have had wonderful opportunities where I wished my wife was along. She was able to attend somethings and even our daughter at times. I love having those shared memories. We our doing the chef table for our 30th anniversary next week and I an excited about doing it with her.

It has also bee my expience that its always better the first time yo do something. That anticipation and the thrill of something new is something that dose not happen twice. That would be good to share with your husband. just my opinion to that pert of your question.

OP, I did the Glory Chef Table as solo. It was great. The Chef

and staff will spoil you. The tour, the info, the food itself and

the Magician that did card tricks for us...let's just say that

it was one of those special evenings that you will not soon forget.

In March, DW and I did Chef's Table on Miracle, Eastern Caribbean,

since I enjoyed the first one so much. Same fun time; same great menu.

BTW, there was a mix of folks. There was a family with a tween and a teen.

There were 3 older singles together, a solo (but not single), and several married

couples. The kids did have a nice time and were well behaved. In fact, the M'De

asked us, before, if we were OK having teens at the table....they had 2 Chef's Tables

on the cruise and he could have easily switched us.

[At least when I did it] They seated couples across the table from each

other and the solos at the ends....but believe me the Chef and the food

have center stage and small talk is easy.

Either solo or together...have a nice time!

:cool:

Thank you all for your input. AZbeachboy does have a point about experiencing something for the first time but since DH and I just got back from a cruise without the kids it may be a while before that happens again. We went to dinner at Remy on the Disney Fantasy to celebrate our anniversary and words cannot begin to describe how incredible that was!

It will be interesting to compare it to the Chef's Table, which I've heard excellent things about and will cost significantly less than Remy did.

I feel it's less awkward to do the Chef's Table solo than the 1st night in the MDR (not that I find that all that awkward either). You'll first be in the galley having hors d'oeuvres and a drink and chatting w/ the chef and each other as you kind of move around. Very conducive to chatting up someone standing near you. By the time you're seated at the dinner table, you'll probably have broken the ice w/ the other diners and it's very easy for a solo to be part of the table.

Absolutely go for it. I LOVED it. I tried it when they were testing it out and it was only the 2nd week Carnival had ever offered it on any ship and it was AMAZING. SO polished and well done you'd have thought they'd been doing it for years. Probably the single best experience I've ever had on Carnival.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the reassurances i am traveling with a large group however i will be doing the chef's table solo unless i can find someone from my group that would like to do it as well. This is my first cruise and doing the Chef's table sounds like an awesome experience I was sorta nervous about doing it alone but y'alls replies have helped :)

I went and experienced the chef's table Solo on the Destiny recently and had a fantastic time! I was a bit nervous at first, but everyone was friendly and I ended up having a lovely time. The wine helped too :)

FYI: we got along so well the entire dinner from reception through dessert lasted about 3 1/2 hours. I was so full I could barely eat the dessert (not sure what some are speaking about in other threads in regards to not being full- there are 7 courses + finger foods from reception). Well worth the $75!

Archived