FLL Embassy Suites versus Homewood Suites

Greek50

I see a lot of great things being said about Embassy Suites on 17th. Anyone ever stay at the Homewood Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port Hotel on Griffin? We stayed at Homewood pre-cruise in Miami last November and absolutely loved it so much we are thinking of staying at their FLL one.

You may have done this but on top of any feedback you get here you may want to also check out the reviews on trip advisor.

I've stayed at the Fort Lauderdale Embassy Suites and it was very good. But I have not stayed at the Homestead Fort Lauderdale Airport location.

Keith

I see a lot of great things being said about Embassy Suites on 17th. Anyone ever stay at the Homewood Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port Hotel on Griffin? We stayed at Homewood pre-cruise in Miami last November and absolutely loved it so much we are thinking of staying at their FLL one.

Have stayed in Embassy Suites on 17th many times and love it....I have not stayed at the Homewood Suites so cannot give my opinion, (I am sure it is wonderful), but even so, the convenience of Embassy Suites cannot be beat. You do not need to rent a car or take a taxi. It is near everything. All the restaurants, bars, stores, liquor stores, Walgreens, Publix, dollar store, Ross clothing store (in case you forget your tie...lol).

EVERYTHING.

I like Homewood Suites hotels, although we haven't stayed at the FLL location. One of my friends, who stays in Hilton family hotels 100 or more nights a year, says Homewood Suites is his favourite of the Hilton brands, generally speaking. As mentioned above, ES wins hands down in the convenience factor. However if being next to all that stuff isn't important, then the HS is probably a good choice. There is basically nothing around it in walking distance though.

Homewood suites is nice. Have stayed, but not in FT.L. I'd look at what you need nearby and the cost of the two to decide. Embassy runs pretty high but is super convenient for a night's stay pre or post cruise.

We've stayed in both--each has its pros and cons.

Embassy is more pricey, but it comes with a better breakfast and the cocktail hour. As other posters have mentioned, its convenient location is a real draw. Also, their pool area and lobby are far superior.

Homewood is in the middle of nowhere but it does provide a free shuttle to and from the airport. We had to take a red-eye that got in at 6 in the morning, which would have meant paying an extra day's rate for those 4 hours on a rental car, so we liked that we could check in to Homewood, take a nap, and return later to pick up the car. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told our room wasn't ready yet, but since we desperately needed sleep, the receptionist very graciously put us in an upgraded room with a separate bedroom and full kitchen. After a quick nap, we took the shuttle back to the airport for the car (we got a great last minute rate from Alamo.) Then we were off to the beach, and shopping, and when we returned, the parking, unlike at Embassy, was free. In the morning, we returned the car to the airport and took Alamo's free shuttle to the port. The total cost, including the car, was far less than we'd have paid at Embassy.

That being said, this trip we get in at midnight so we've opted to stay at the Embassy to be closer to the port so we can shop for those last minute items before boarding the ship.

I love the Homewood...very nice staff at that location..it's best to have a car if you're going anyplace..

If you are there Mon-Thurs night, they have a great free dinner buffet...one night they had spaghetti, chicken another, salisbury steak on a different occasion...plus beer and wine... (not offered on weekends though..)

the breakfast is available 7 days and also has hot and cold items...the hot things change daily..pancakes, waffles, eggs.

they have free internet, and there's a laundry room too. I really liked it there...again, helps to have a car as there's nothing around, but it was a very nice place....i stayed there 2 or 3 times..

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to look into the cost of renting a car from Alamo since we arrive Thursday around 4:30 and don't cruise till Saturday. I will then compare all the costs.

Archived