San Fran/Alamo Square Question

Got2Cruise

Have to confess that I had to look this up on my Google map, even though I was born and raised in San Francisco. Looking at the map, discovered that the famous "Painted Ladies" Victorian homes border the park, so that would be a good photo op. It's over 2 miles away from the piers as the crow flies, so it all depends on how much walking you really want to do. Don't believe there's too much else to see in the area.

it is not really walkable from north beach to this area. it is a long ways and many hills...you could do it but it would take at least an hour..and exhausting.

I would take muni--you can go to http://www.511.org and input info and it will lay out a route for you. the painted ladies are north of the panhandle of gg park..in Nopa neighborhood. it is better these days..used to be sketchy...

so take a taxi or take the bus...I wouldn't walk.

Okay, I will confess why I am going there. My daughter, now grown, used to be a huge fan of the TV show "Full House". In the opening credits that is where they filmed, and they pretended that the family lived in one of those houses. So I am going to take a picture of myself there with those houses in the background. hahaha Crazy I know. Thanks for responding.

Have to confess that I had to look this up on my Google map, even though I was born and raised in San Francisco. Looking at the map, discovered that the famous "Painted Ladies" Victorian homes border the park, so that would be a good photo op. It's over 2 miles away from the piers as the crow flies, so it all depends on how much walking you really want to do. Don't believe there's too much else to see in the area.

it is not really walkable from north beach to this area. it is a long ways and many hills...you could do it but it would take at least an hour..and exhausting.

I would take muni--you can go to www.511.org and input info and it will lay out a route for you. the painted ladies are north of the panhandle of gg park..in Nopa neighborhood. it is better these days..used to be sketchy...

so take a taxi or take the bus...I wouldn't walk.

Thank you for your response.

Okay, I will confess why I am going there. My daughter, now grown, used to be a huge fan of the TV show "Full House". In the opening credits that is where they filmed, and they pretended that the family lived in one of those houses. So I am going to take a picture of myself there with those houses in the background. hahaha Crazy I know. Thanks for responding.

Not crazy, very cool!

my son, who bikes all over town, said he would not walk this either...

and think about the show...the interiors could not exist in those houses without magic...a sunken living room in a victorian...

the houses are not too far from the haight...but the haight is full of tourists and heroin addicts...I don't like going there myself. cole valley...at cole and carl, right on the N judah--is a great little neighborhood..not too far..probably walkable from alamo square. eat at zazie...fabulous...

• 4 weeks later...

So, we went to S.F., loved it.:) Decided we had to go to Alamo Square. Guess how we got there? We drove, since we had a rental car anyway. lol yep. It was easy for us, being from NY, we put the address in the GPS, and parked right at the curb. So glad we did. What a view. The only other people we saw were tourists like ourselves, or a few neighborhood folks with their dogs. Thanks for your assistance.

• 3 weeks later...

Take the 30 from Fisherman's wharf to the 22 to Alamo Square. From there it is an easy walk to the Height. I find the Height fun and engaging. Lots of good resturants and interesting shops to browse. Do't be put off, it isn't menacing in the least.

Exactly right.

My dd loved it! I actually made a little video using You Tube having the Theme Song playing in the background. :D It was one of the many highlights of our trip. The bus stops on the corner and every fifteen minutes it would stop and tourists (well mostly 20 somethings) would pour out. Next week we are going to see Uncle Jesse, umm, John Stamos on Broadway in "The Best Man". He stars with James Earl Jones, whom DD knows as the voice of Luke Skywalker's father. (The thumbnail is an actual pic we took)

How did like the pictures of the houses?

Did she think your a "cool" parent for

remembering after many years!

We do!!

DSCN1269.jpg.5f18ba040bf894ee88a80beb1ccf5ce9.jpg

Archived