Docking at ports

cjc cruiser

I love to watch the people running to the ship at the ports. Is there any way to know which side of the ship will be facing each port. I don't know the correct terms for what each side of the ship is called, and I was hoping to do a bit of watching from my balcony. We are on the Triumph and will be at Progreso and Cozumel.

I love to watch the people running to the ship at the ports. Is there any way to know which side of the ship will be facing each port. I don't know the correct terms for what each side of the ship is called, and I was hoping to do a bit of watching from my balcony. We are on the Triumph and will be at Progreso and Cozumel.

Try the Port side which is left...

I was told by a Captain on NCL that the decision is made depending on which side of the ship may need painting or other service -- and if the port allows those services to be done there.

Your cabin location may be a guess at best.

Also -- Port is Left -- Both words have four letters ---- Starboard is right . End of lesson !!!

Also -- Port is Left -- Both words have four letters ---- Starboard is right . End of lesson !!!

A version my dad taught us from his shipping days:

We should all look forward in life, so stand on the back (stern) of the ship, and look forward to the front (bow);

In the alphabet "P" comes before "S", so "P" for Port is on your left, and "S" for Starboard is on your right.

:cool:

Cozumel is the best port for watching pier runners. :eek:

Indeed it is. The length of the pier adds to the excitement, and for some reason this port seems to have lots of late passengers.

Archived