"upgrade" to 4J

melli_fera

We're booked ES on Breeze in an interior cabin (cat 4H). Been checking fare viewer daily for any drops and I noticed cat 4J has shown up for $5pp difference. I surely would pay an extra $10 for a window, but I'm concerned about how much privacy/noise we really would have in this category. Supposedly the window looks out to an open public deck.

Has anyone stayed in a 4J on Dream or Magic (or Breeze, yet)?

I had a balcony on Magic deck 6 and this is a picture from the public deck. You cant see the wall your cabin looks out at.

I did have a similar cabin on Princess (the wall is shorter and you actually have more of a real view). .. the wall on Carnival is so high, you can barely see over it when standing at the window .. depending on how tall you are, but you get light... and a higher deck.

I would do it if it was a higher deck.

This is Magic, deck 6, showing the window of the 4J from the outside.

MagicPreview043.jpg

We had a 4J on the Magic over Christmas and loved it. It was not noisy at all since a lot of people do not go out there. You really can not when the ship is moving due to the wind. The view is beautiful.

I will however tell you that the movement in that area is way more than on other points on the ship. I however found that the movement on those huge ships are way more than other ships I have been on.

Have a great cruise.

It looks as though, depending on the location of the cabin, you have nearly direct access to outside (which is also kinda nice).

What about noise?

On Princess we did hear the slamming of the door which was located next to our cabin.

Anyone can go out there, and we also noticed some putting their faces up against our window to peer in.. so you do need to close your curtains if you are getting dressed.

But you can see out .. of course to me its better than a regular inside where you cannot see out.

Five years ago my aunt was showing me this stuff she bought at a hardware store for her small bathroom window. It was almost like plastic and came on a roll like plastic wrap. You cut it to fit window and it peeled off and stuck to window glass. It looked clear when looking out the window but from outside it was shiny and you couldn't see in the window at all. I forget what she paid but it wasn't a lot. Could someone put this on window of this type of cabin? It wasn't sticky and just peeled right off like a temporary decal. That way you could have nice view without people peering into your room and at end of your trip you could remove it in less than a minute with no damage to window or window trim.

Five years ago my aunt was showing me this stuff she bought at a hardware store for her small bathroom window. It was almost like plastic and came on a roll like plastic wrap. You cut it to fit window and it peeled off and stuck to window glass. It looked clear when looking out the window but from outside it was shiny and you couldn't see in the window at all. I forget what she paid but it wasn't a lot. Could someone put this on window of this type of cabin? It wasn't sticky and just peeled right off like a temporary decal. That way you could have nice view without people peering into your room and at end of your trip you could remove it in less than a minute with no damage to window or window trim.

these windows are already treated with that.. however if someone puts their face up to the window, they can see in.. and after dark, it does no good whatsoever.

Anyone who has stayed in one of these-did you think you could feel the movement more up here? I know someone already said they did feel it more and I am wondering b/c IL's are coming with us on our next cruise and they have never cruised so wanted to try to limit the movement. They really liked these rooms but now I am worried that they will feel too much up there.

Ok, so if I booked online, and I want to do this, do I just call Carnival on the phone and tell them the price I saw on fareviewer and I want to upgrade to it for the price difference?

And now that I think of it, would we be responsible for a "change" fee since we booked early saver?

That way you could have nice view without people peering into your room and at end of your trip you could remove it in less than a minute with no damage to window or window trim.

I dont know about a nice view-- the view is a wall.

There are no chairs out there--- but there is a bench.

If you find you have a problem with rude people slamming that door-- throw a towel over the top and it will stop the door from slamming

Ok, so if I booked online, and I want to do this, do I just call Carnival on the phone and tell them the price I saw on fareviewer and I want to upgrade to it for the price difference?

And now that I think of it, would we be responsible for a "change" fee since we booked early saver?

if you are booked early saver in a regular inside cabin then there is no "change fee since you are upgrading.

a reasonable change fee for someone looking to make changes to their booking is 50.00 but you are upgrading so that is allowed.

If you are booked with carnival-- that is who you call. If you are booked using an agent-- MUST call that agent to make changes

Decided to go for it! Thanks to everyone for offering their insight. We may not have a great view (if any), but we'll have some natural light, and neighbors only on one side. I figured, for $10, it was worth trying out.

If you can get 6201 or 6202, they have a couch - all the others on deck 6 only have a chair. We stayed in two of these rooms on the Dream and loved the location. You can see in the window if you're right up against it, but it's great to have the sunlight.

Some pics -

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

door to observation deck

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

Decided to go for it! Thanks to everyone for offering their insight. We may not have a great view (if any), but we'll have some natural light, and neighbors only on one side. I figured, for $10, it was worth trying out.

I don't think you will regret this. In my opinion a 4J is the best cabin on the ship, given the price, location and window.

when looking for the cabin- do not take a cabin that is marked with a * as these beds do not go together but sit head board to head board. these are also handicapped cabins

Archived