Question about Oasis of the Seas...is it too much?

It is mine too, teajak. I got blasted before for not loving the grand lady to pieces. I've mentioned it's hard to see the sea, someone said "Go up on deck!". Uh huh. *sigh*

Anyway, any cruise is wonderful. :) I adore being at sea and vacationing with my husband and family. Having said that, Oasis is not the ship for me. This too is my opinion, and I really don't think there is any way to answer this question except to see for yourself. *shrug*

That made me chuckle.:D

But you tried it and made an educated decision. Wouldn't you recommend that the OP do the same?
Absolutely,that is why I offered our opinion.You cannot make an educated decision without hearing both sides,I presented ours.:)

Obviously you are not wrong since it is your opinion :) but I really don't get this! I know you are not alone as others have mentioned the same thing but to me it literally felt no more removed from the water then the freedom or voyager classes IMO. What do you feel made the difference for you? Honest question, not flaming.

I think because we book ov balconies and spend the majority of our day up on deck we never noticed a difference....same amount of ocean viewing. We tend to go to bars/lounges at night so we don't miss the views there anyway.

Again, not saying your wrong at all....we all have different views and at least you experienced the class to find out if you like it or night.

We tried it twice the first time in an OV cabin forward this time in a mid ship ocean view balcony.We like to walk around the deck,sit by an open deck and read and had to search for this.The second time was much easier.We enjoyed the concierge lounge for breakfast and happy hour.I also posted about how well behaved the vast majority of children were on our 6/23/cruise.This is totally a matter of personal preference and we prefer the open glassed area's of the Radiance class.My one strong opinion is that a first time cruiser should try a smaller class to begin with then move up so that you can make an intelligent decision on what your preference is.Happy sailing, we do love cruising.;)

For us it seems like the more we cruise, the more we prefer smaller ships. We cruised on the Oasis (with kids) and had a great time. The kids would love to go back but for me, once was enough. Way too big.

But, I agree with those that say you have to try it and form your own opinion. Some love it, some don't.

Thinking about going on the Oasis of the Seas next summer. I've been on 7 cruises on most of the major lines. Voyager of the Seas was my first cruise nearly 9 years ago.

I've looked at pictures and read about the Oasis, and it looks incredible, but is it too much? Does it still feel like a cruise? Are the same smells and sights and sounds and traditions still there? It's kind of an open ended question, I'm just worried that it is so huge and so different that it will make it feel not like a cruise.

For us, the Oasis was a wonderful vacation, and she is a beautiful ship. Did it seem like a cruise? I would say no. It felt more like a theme park.

• The people who don't like rides and/or always hold the purses and stuffed animals, can go relax in Central Park. The rest of the bunch (after riding the merry-go-round and zip-line) will meet up with you for lunch at Park Cafe.
  • You can then head to the water park area...have fun in the H2O zone.
  • If you are done in time, head over to the Aquatheater for a water show.
  • After that, let the kids have some burgers and fries at Johnny Rockets, followed by ice cream on the boardwalk. They might be lucky enough to get a phot op with Shrek.
  • If you are staying overnight, reserve a breakfast with the kids and the Dreamworks characters.

Like I said, loved the vacation, just never felt like I was on a cruise. :)

Thinking about going on the Oasis of the Seas next summer. I've been on 7 cruises on most of the major lines. Voyager of the Seas was my first cruise nearly 9 years ago.

I've looked at pictures and read about the Oasis, and it looks incredible, but is it too much? Does it still feel like a cruise? Are the same smells and sights and sounds and traditions still there? It's kind of an open ended question, I'm just worried that it is so huge and so different that it will make it feel not like a cruise.

Like you, we did the Voyager many years ago and loved it.

We then did Explorer twice, and they were fabulous.

We just got back from the Oasis, and exceded every expectation. Unbelievable ship.

I did a review (still in progress) with pictures if you are interested, link is in my signature.

The only way you will know is to go and try it for yourself. You can read what other have to say, both pros and cons, but unless one of those is dead on to your feelings they are just others opinions. It does seem that the overall opinion is yes it is worth it.

For us, we sailed Allure in June. I watched and watched prices until I found a very good resident rate. I personally was not willing to pay the ridiculous rates they were asking so needed a deal to try it. I am so glad that we did. Will it be our next cruise, maybe, maybe not, but we definitely will go on Allure/Oasis again.

As others have said there is too much to do for 1 week. You have to reconcile that before you get on board. Decide what are the highlights you want to hit and if you do more great. If not, you have at least done the most important stuff.

As for seeing the ocean, we spent a lot of time in the solarium. We were always able to find seats facing out to the ocean. We sat there with our books and drinks and enjoyed the view. We also had an ocean view balcony so spent quite a bit of time there. We had our kids on board with us and they were in a central park balcony across the hall. Ended up spending time on their balcony as well when we wanted a little more. At night, we usually were at the pub if not at a show.

I say look for a good deal and try it out yourself.

I think that the Oasis/Allure are ships that have to be tried to be truly appreciated. True they are not for everyone but either is the Radiance class or any other class for that matter. I have no problems with seeing the sea on either ship but I guess some do. The entertainment aboard these two ships are still the best that I have experienced on any ship. I also love the variety of specialty dining that is offered. I suggest that you try it and see for yourself if either ship fits your needs.

I think that the Oasis/Allure are ships that have to be tried to be truly appreciated. True they are not for everyone but either is the Radiance class or any other class for that matter. I have no problems with seeing the sea on either ship but I guess some do. The entertainment aboard these two ships are still the best that I have experienced on any ship. I also love the variety of specialty dining that is offered. I suggest that you try it and see for yourself if either ship fits your needs.

I agree 100%! I honestly don't know if I would appreciate the Radiance class all that much as I prefer being outside in the sun as much as possible on a cruise. Now if we had to Alaska, I may change my tune (can't convince my husband of that one yet....he's wants warm weather only on vacay) I'm so excited for the Allure as we're going to do more specialty restaurants this time around. We have no problems with the dining room food, but since it's just the 2 of us this time, we are going to splurge and try new things.

My favorite thing about them is the space. There are so many things going on that the crowds are very much dispersed. We never got to do half the things we wanted to do because there is so much going on! I personally love that in a vacation. We've done all-inclusives before and while we like it, we still need to be near a city so that we don't get bored (can't just lay out on the beach) The Oasis class gives us the best of both worlds. My only complaint about them is limited ports. We don't cruise for ports, but we would still like a variety. Oh, and I would like if the prices came down a smidge ;)

We tried it twice the first time in an OV cabin forward this time in a mid ship ocean view balcony.We like to walk around the deck,sit by an open deck and read and had to search for this.The second time was much easier.We enjoyed the concierge lounge for breakfast and happy hour.I also posted about how well behaved the vast majority of children were on our 6/23/cruise.This is totally a matter of personal preference and we prefer the open glassed area's of the Radiance class.My one strong opinion is that a first time cruiser should try a smaller class to begin with then move up so that you can make an intelligent decision on what your preference is.Happy sailing, we do love cruising.;)

I saw that post about the kids on your sailing...VERY good to hear! You usually only hear negatives about the kids running around. We don't have kids ourselves and while we've never had an issue with unruly kids we also are able to cruise during non-peak times....makes it much easier that way!

We've always had balconies and I sometimes wondered if we should book an inside since we're not in the cabin much. Then I think about it and we use the balcony multiple times throughout the day. Nothing beats first thing in the morning and being able to go out in your pj's and see a beautiful new island in front of you. Or while I'm finishing getting ready for dinner my husband heads out there with a cocktail to stay out of my way (humidity does crazy things to my hair and I usually have a bit of a tantrum trying to tame it down :p)

Happy sailing to you as well! I'll have to try the Radiance class someday and see which we prefer.

I am actually glad that you asked this question :) I am excited about seeing what other respond with. We are booking for our 10th year anniversary for 10/2013 - and are between the Freedom and Oasis. Hubby wants Oasis for the size, and I want freedom... for the same reason. LOL I am worried that 7 days won't be enough time to "see" all that Oasis has to offer. I guess only time will tell what we choose. Our other choice is go Freedom first, then upgrade with Oasis the next year :rolleyes:

We've done the explorer class on RCL and the Dream Class Carnival, just need to make that leap to what the next best thing is

IMHO I think you should work yourself up. Do the Freedom class first and than the Oasis class. The Freedom class is a fantastic ship and will give you a chance to get that big ship feel. Than when you cruise an Oasis class you will be able to appreciate the fact that it is a Freedom on steroids.

To the OP: As you can see, it is a matter of opinion. Based on the cruise history you posted, you will find an OA/AL cruise to be really different. 'Good different' or 'Bad different' will be your call.

We did AL as our 14th RCI cruise, having been on every class of ship RCI runs, with Radiance of the Seas our favorite. We kind of felt we had to try a megaship before we could either knock it or rave about it. Like another poster, we couldn't see paying standard rates for OA/AL, but we were able to use credit card reward points to cut the cost of our usual JS nearly in half. 5 days before boarding we were offered a 'for fee' upgrade to a Crown Loft suite at a very reasonable cost so we took it. As a result our AL experience was about as 'upper bracket' as it could be.

We won't be going back. Like another poster, it was an excellent vacation, excellent experience, but we sort of felt like we spent 7 days at a Grand Hyatt - not enough like a cruise as we experienced cruising up to that point, and we really liked our prior RCI cruises.

It is like being in a high rise building,very few places to see the ocean unless you have an ocean view balcony.This time we had an ocean view balcony mid ship which made it tolerable but still not like a cruise.Tried it twice. We love the ocean and this ship just doesn't do it for us.No flames please this is our opinion.
I just have to ask this.....if you didn't like the ship the first time around, why try it again?:confused:

To the OP, despite all the opinions you have received, why don't you just go on the Oasis class and see for yourself? Otherwise, you're going to continue wondering what the experience is like on the mega ships! Just go for it! The only person who can answer your curiosity and questions is yourself.

:cool:Having cruised on the Radiance,Mariner,,FOS and the rest of the "smaller ships" we are venturing on the Oasis in Jan..with family and friends...We are "young" seniors and having our grandaughter along with DD and SIL will be fun,,,we loved it last year on the FOS when Shrek and Fiorna came around and we could take some photos with them.

The smaller ships (compared to Oasis and Alure) seem very crowded at times,,especially in the WJ and the elevators,,that's another whole story..Have to take everything in your stride and enjoy,,,life is short,,so why not just grab what you can when you can.:D:cool:

I just have to ask this.....if you didn't like the ship the first time around, why try it again?:confused:
I could say I believe in second chances but the real reason is the Freedom was too expensive,the price dropped on an ov balcony, there are no other ships leaving from Florida in the summer, they all desert us for Europe and Alaska. We didn't have a bad time after all a cruise is a cruise, it is just not our preference.;)

Archived