Question about Oasis of the Seas...is it too much?

Thinking about going on the Oasis of the Seas next summer. I've been on 7 cruises on most of the major lines. Voyager of the Seas was my first cruise nearly 9 years ago.

I've looked at pictures and read about the Oasis, and it looks incredible, but is it too much? Does it still feel like a cruise? Are the same smells and sights and sounds and traditions still there? It's kind of an open ended question, I'm just worried that it is so huge and so different that it will make it feel not like a cruise.

Thinking about going on the Oasis of the Seas next summer. I've been on 7 cruises on most of the major lines. Voyager of the Seas was my first cruise nearly 9 years ago.

I've looked at pictures and read about the Oasis, and it looks incredible, but is it too much? Does it still feel like a cruise? Are the same smells and sights and sounds and traditions still there? It's kind of an open ended question, I'm just worried that it is so huge and so different that it will make it feel not like a cruise.

Wait until the sunshine class ships come out. Then they will be the newest and most interesting....and maybe the prices will be a little more reasonable. :)

A vacation or cruise is what you make of it. It will be different from your previous experiences. And it may or may not be what you like.

You will receive many many differing opinions here and that's what they are - the opinions and feelings of those who have sailed her. Mine was yes, she is too large for my taste. There were several things I did not like, but many I did. It's all subjective.

There are literally hundreds of threads here about Oasis. You can pull them up easily by using the "Search this Forum" function back on the main page. :)

What you ask is almost a loaded question. What is so great about cruising is that it has a lot of different experiences to offer.

For example I just want to sit and relax. I love the food and dining on a ship. I enjoy the shows and the lounges. I love watching the sea and smelling the salt air. I am an active person and I love the activities. I like the feel of the swaying of the ship. Now you need to add what you love and what makes you feel like you are on a ship.

Here is the problem for most people the Oasis class so huge and has so many entertainment activities and eating venues that it can put some people in an emotion overload. If you want to experience everything in 7 days you simply can't. The more that you want to do and try to do the less time you will have to relax.

You asked "Are the same smells and sights and sounds and traditions still there?" Some may disagree with me but IMHO yes. Again the ship is so big that there is so much more enclosed passenger area where the Sea is not visible. But if you have a balcony or ocean view stateroom you can see the water like any other ship. If you have a Boardwalk balcony there is a good chance you can see the ocean wake of the ship. If you are at one of the 5 pools, sports deck or Solarium you will feel and smell the ocean like on any other ship. Or climbing a rock wall and zipline and waiting in line for the flowrider.

Just got off the Oasis last week.

Before that, 2 cruises on the Explorer, which were both fantastic.

But, I found the Oasis sensational. The biggest difference besides the size, I found the Oasis less crowded. There were so many pools that finding seating and getting comfortable was simple, always found great seats anytime.

The ship is magnificent, really enjoyed it.

I am doing a review of the cruise now.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

Oasis was incredible. never felt crowded and just a technological amazement. Shows were fantastic.

Does it feel/look like a cruise ship - Absolutely! We had a OV Balcony, loved all of it.

Because it is so spread out and so many elevators, you normally never see/feel the # of people on the ship

As others have said, you will find many opinions, but you really cannot make your own unless you go and have the experience. For us, we went for the ship, not the itinerary, and we were Wowed!

I've looked at pictures and read about the Oasis, and it looks incredible, but is it too much?

If you are not interested in a WOW factor than this ship is not for you. Because it is incredible!

Does it still feel like a cruise?

IMHO it makes for a fantastic cruise! Everything that is on a standard cruise is on the Oasis class. Be it Bingo, Triva, Piano Bar, Marriage game, Quest, Karakoe and/or Pool Games.

Are the same smells and sights and sounds and traditions still there?

Sitting on my balcony or walking around up top on pool/sport deck provide all my senses with the vision and feel of being on a cruise.

It's kind of an open ended question, I'm just worried that it is so huge and so different that it will make it feel not like a cruise.

The first question you have to ask yourself is what is important to you on a cruise. Will that experience be possible on the Oasis class ship? The answer will be yes. The second question you have to ask yourself is can you filter out all the other possibilities available in order to stay focus on the things you are looking forward to on a cruise.

I am actually glad that you asked this question :) I am excited about seeing what other respond with. We are booking for our 10th year anniversary for 10/2013 - and are between the Freedom and Oasis. Hubby wants Oasis for the size, and I want freedom... for the same reason. LOL I am worried that 7 days won't be enough time to "see" all that Oasis has to offer. I guess only time will tell what we choose. Our other choice is go Freedom first, then upgrade with Oasis the next year :rolleyes:

We've done the explorer class on RCL and the Dream Class Carnival, just need to make that leap to what the next best thing is

You won't know if it's for you unless you try it. It may be a little more work ahead of the average cruise with booking reservations for dining and/or shows but I highly recommend it. We sailed both Allure and Oasis and they were both amazing. We would certainly sail them again but we do prefer the Freedom Class and Celebrity' Solstice Class. Just do it...Nike

It is like being in a high rise building,very few places to see the ocean unless you have an ocean view balcony.This time we had an ocean view balcony mid ship which made it tolerable but still not like a cruise.Tried it twice. We love the ocean and this ship just doesn't do it for us.No flames please this is our opinion.

It is like being in a high rise building,very few places to see the ocean unless you have an ocean view balcony.This time we had an ocean view balcony mid ship which made it tolerable but still not like a cruise.Tried it twice. We love the ocean and this ship just doesn't do it for us.No flames please this is our opinion.

Tolerable? Tolerable is vacationing at home. At least I'm not working. That's tolerable but you were on a cruise ship.:D

Tolerable? Tolerable is vacationing at home. At least I'm not working. That's tolerable but you were on a cruise ship.:D
A cruise ship that was too enclosed to feel like a ship or a cruise except for our balcony.As I said this was our opinion and we can choose ships that we enjoy.:p

We have recently sailed on some of the smaller ships (RCCL and Princes) because of itinerary. We are so excited to go back to the bigger ships with Liberty in the fall and possibly Oasis or Allure next year. Thanks for posting this question.

Recently off Oasis and I have to say it is an incredible ship. And so technologically advanced it is crazy. And Central Park is just beautiful!

I loved the shows, but did feel a little bit of overload.

The only time it felt crowded was getting back on the ship at ports. Other then that it never felt crowded to me. I really liked the specialty resturants.

Did not really care for the main dinning room set up.

I am so happy to have sailed once on this class of ship. But am happy to go back to a smaller ship next summer too. Any cruise is a good cruise!:)

Oasis and Allure are amazing ships I certainly felt just as much that I was cruising as I did on any other ships. If you want to have a relaxing week you most certainly can have one. And if you happen to be like me and can't sit still for very long these ships offer plenty to keep you occupied.

As far a I am concerned there is no down side to sailing on these ships.

Not flaming, but, decks 14, 15, and 16, as well as deck 5 provide literally acres and acres of open ocean views.

I loved it. I probably spent most of my time in the solarium, hanging out by the hot tubs. I loved going later, when it emptied out a bit. I did a lot of the quieter activites, like the Guitar Hero contest, the quizzes, volleyball, scavenger hunts. I had a great mix of relaxing, and entertainment.

I think what is brilliant about the Oasis is that you can treat the cruise as you want to. If you want to relax by the pool (any one of them), go for it. If you like to do quizzes by the lounges, you can. If you are more adventurous, you can do the rock-climbing, the zipline, etc. You can get that "cruise" feel just by relaxing on deck with cold drink close at hand.

There are some instances where you really do feel the crowds of the ship, compared to other ships. Reserving shows in advance is a must, as well as getting to a show ahead of time. The WJ feels the most crowded. A little pre-planning goes a long way. We ate at JR for breakfast, and the Central Park Cafe is a great spot for breakfast and lunch. There wasn't much we could do about the crowds getting on and off at ports, but that's just a reality of the Oasis class. I rarely felt the crowds hanging out on the ship unless there was a major event.

I think it can seem more overwhelming when you read all the different reviews, and ads. Whatever you like to do on a cruise, you can absolutely do it on the Oasis class. Sprinkle in some exciting Oasis experiences, like the Carousel and the Aqua Theatre, and how could you go wrong?

A cruise ship that was too enclosed to feel like a ship or a cruise except for our balcony.As I said this was our opinion...

It is mine too, teajak. I got blasted before for not loving the grand lady to pieces. I've mentioned it's hard to see the sea, someone said "Go up on deck!". Uh huh. *sigh*

Anyway, any cruise is wonderful. :) I adore being at sea and vacationing with my husband and family. Having said that, Oasis is not the ship for me. This too is my opinion, and I really don't think there is any way to answer this question except to see for yourself. *shrug*

But you tried it and made an educated decision. Wouldn't you recommend that the OP do the same?

Obviously you are not wrong since it is your opinion :) but I really don't get this! I know you are not alone as others have mentioned the same thing but to me it literally felt no more removed from the water then the freedom or voyager classes IMO. What do you feel made the difference for you? Honest question, not flaming.

I think because we book ov balconies and spend the majority of our day up on deck we never noticed a difference....same amount of ocean viewing. We tend to go to bars/lounges at night so we don't miss the views there anyway.

Again, not saying your wrong at all....we all have different views and at least you experienced the class to find out if you like it or night.

Archived