First Time in NY Help...

dr28326

I don't believe you will find a hotel in NYC that allows smoking inside at all.

There are a few. The LaGuardia Plaza at LGA allows smoking in your room only. Most of the hotels in Flushing Queens allow smoking inside your room. Any hotel that caters to Chinese from China allows smoking. The Crowne Plaza in Meadowlands, NJ is one of the few on the NJ side that allows smoking in your room. Again, they cater to a large Chinese contingent and about 85% of Chinese men smoke. That is a very nice hotel for the area. They couldn't bend over backwards anymore to please their guests.

If you are going to stay in NJ, fly into Newark. I would not fly into LGA to just travel to NJ.

I agree, although getting from LGA using the combination taxi/ferry/hotel shuttle won't be any more expensive than getting a cab/car service from EWR to Edgewater. Just a hassle to schlepp luggage three times-into the cab, onto the ferry, into the hotel shuttle. I am going to guess the fare would be in the neighborhood of $60-70 each way from EWR to Edgewater. It is $40 to Secaucus.

I don't believe you will find a hotel in NYC that allows smoking inside at all.

I've found LOTS... but just like the rest of the hotels in the prime areas... they want $400 a night for a room.

GREATAM - THANK YOU FOR YOUR FABULOUS INFORMATION!!! VERY, VERY HELPFUL!!!

GREATAM - THANK YOU FOR YOUR FABULOUS INFORMATION!!! VERY, VERY HELPFUL!!!

MAKE SURE it is this hotel. There is another one with a similar name in the area which is a REAL dump.

http://www.laguardiaplazahotel.com/

You have to ask for the shuttle to the train station about 1/2 hr. in advance of when you plan to go. Takes about 10-15 minutes to the train station. When you return at night, you can either take the train back to Flushing Main station (last station on the line), come up out of the subway and DIRECTLY in front of you is the bus stop for the bus that drops you DIRECTLY across the street from the hotel (ask the bus driver when you get on to drop you at the Crowne Plaza-everyone knows it by that name).

Or take a taxi back from Manhattan ($30-35). DO NOT try to take the train back to Flushing station and then get a taxi to the hotel. You could wait for hours and hours. Just not a lot of taxi service in the area.

You can also read through this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1393103&highlight=la+guardia+plaza+hotel

I posted the EXACT directions and times to get the train/bus and how to get into Manhattan. The passenger I posted it for used it and it worked just like I posted.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you for all your information. We decided to change the date we wanted to sail out of New York and we booked our cruise and made our reservations at the hotel you recommended today!! Since we are now into December, the rate was even less expensive at $109 per night and I requested a third floor room with a patio. Thanks. ;)

So, looks like Christmas in New York for us! :D I am definitely going to be doing some research on NYC now... I really want to see Rockefeller Center, Macy's, and lots of beautiful Christmas decorations. I would like to see the 911 Memorial and possibly a show but we only have one day to see some of NYC so we shall see - one day is better than nothing. I believe we will take the train in and a taxi out. Is it a problem getting a taxi to this hotel at night ~ say 9/10 pm???

Thank you for all your information. We decided to change the date we wanted to sail out of New York and we booked our cruise and made our reservations at the hotel you recommended today!! Since we are now into December, the rate was even less expensive at $109 per night and I requested a third floor room with a patio. Thanks. ;)

So, looks like Christmas in New York for us! :D I am definitely going to be doing some research on NYC now... I really want to see Rockefeller Center, Macy's, and lots of beautiful Christmas decorations. I would like to see the 911 Memorial and possibly a show but we only have one day to see some of NYC so we shall see - one day is better than nothing. I believe we will take the train in and a taxi out. Is it a problem getting a taxi to this hotel at night ~ say 9/10 pm???

Since you only have one day, you need to decide what the most important things are for you to see. We were there for 5 days last December (not our 1st trip to NYC either) and still didn't get to do everything we wanted to. To see all of these places (on your own) and go to the 9/11 Memorial AND a show.....will be extremely difficult in one day. You must have a reservation for the 9/11 Memorial, so I would go out onto their site and book that first. Then, you'll need to plan the rest of your time around that.

Since NY is the city that never sleeps, it might be possible to do it in one day.:) Get your 9/11 Memorial tickets for first thing in the morning. What kind of show do you want to see? Would you want to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular? Kind of cheezy, but everyone should see it at least once in their lifetime. There are many shows all day, so you can easily fit that in. After the show you can see the decorations, which really need to be seen at night to enjoy the full affect. Radio City is right in Rockefeller Center, where you will see the tree, the skating rink, Saks Fifth Avenue windows. You can then walk to Macys and see their windows, and then go to the top of the Empire State Bldg which is down the block from Macy's.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies. Ummm... I suppose I worded my post incorrectly. I am SO aware we can't do it all in one day!! So, I'm making a list of what we want to do and then I'll prioritize.

We are still a wee bit confused as to where we really want to stay. The LaGuardia Plaza Hotel comes highly recommended and I love-love the rate so we have a reservation there for now....however, I worry about transportation back to the hotel at night. We will more-than-likely take a 5:30pm holiday lights tour, get some dinner, and then head back to our hotel for the evening. I've been reading and googling various things about NYC (first timers we are) and I've read a couple of times that basically, it's illegal for a cab driver to refuse to take you to the LGA area but many balk at the idea and don't like it. :o I would absolutely hate to run-in to this or have problems getting a cab at night... even though I know we would tip well, knowing we were "out of the way" but still... this being our first time, reading this really put me off.

So, I've found a great little Hilton hotel for $325 a night - a full $200 more. My husband thinks that's crazy and we should just figure out our transporation back to the hotel ahead of time. So, I'm off to read the link posted above about how we can possibly get ourselves back to the hotel. We shall see.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. We've got over 4 months to plan and so far, I'm loving the research. We've traveled quite a bit - 8 countries for me and several more for my husband - but for some reason, visiting New York seems like a daunting task... scarey, even... which is really quite embarrassing to admit. :o

Since I've apparently hijacked this NYC thread... :o

Can anyone recommend a good place for frozen hot chocolate... maybe some place that is not Serendipity... somewhere possibly closer to 28th street or somewhere less crowded (I hear Serendipty gets really crowded).

The LaGuardia Hotel is a pain to go back and forth for sightseeing. The only time I would stay in the LaG hotel is to spend the night before the cruise or before flying home. That is not to say it is not a nice property. If your cruise leaves from Manhattan, and you want to sight-see in Manhattan then stay in Manhattan. Everything in NY is expensive, you just can't compare it to what things cost where you live. Don't forget to add in the cost of the cab to and from LaG when figuring the price.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies. Ummm... I suppose I worded my post incorrectly. I am SO aware we can't do it all in one day!! So, I'm making a list of what we want to do and then I'll prioritize.

We are still a wee bit confused as to where we really want to stay. The LaGuardia Plaza Hotel comes highly recommended and I love-love the rate so we have a reservation there for now....however, I worry about transportation back to the hotel at night. We will more-than-likely take a 5:30pm holiday lights tour, get some dinner, and then head back to our hotel for the evening. I've been reading and googling various things about NYC (first timers we are) and I've read a couple of times that basically, it's illegal for a cab driver to refuse to take you to the LGA area but many balk at the idea and don't like it. :o I would absolutely hate to run-in to this or have problems getting a cab at night... even though I know we would tip well, knowing we were "out of the way" but still... this being our first time, reading this really put me off.

So, I've found a great little Hilton hotel for $325 a night - a full $200 more. My husband thinks that's crazy and we should just figure out our transporation back to the hotel ahead of time. So, I'm off to read the link posted above about how we can possibly get ourselves back to the hotel. We shall see.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. We've got over 4 months to plan and so far, I'm loving the research. We've traveled quite a bit - 8 countries for me and several more for my husband - but for some reason, visiting New York seems like a daunting task... scarey, even... which is really quite embarrassing to admit. :o

I am currently in Doha, Qatar, so the brain is on overtime. I haven't slept for 33 hours so if this is garbled, excuse please.

BUT-the plan I laid out for you originally works VERY well (tested by other CC'ers and by me time and again-on last Thursday when I had to go see a customer in the Bowery-stayed at the LaGuardia Plaza, took the train into town and a cab from Times Square to the Bowery-less than $40 total INCLUDING a cab back to the hotel and a generous tip).

A cab from Manhattan BACK to the hotel will run you $30-35. You can flag one on ANY corner in Manhattan. MAKE SURE you have the driver take the 59th St (Queensboro Bridge). There is NO TOLL getting to LGA (the area) that way. I have paid as little as $27.00 for a taxi from Manhattan to the Crowne Plaza and as much as $37.00 (plus gratuity). I don't know where you heard that taxis are hard to get to any hotel around LGA. The LGA/Manhattan ride is very lucrative for taxi drivers.

If you have any doubts, use a car service. I highly recommend Dial 7 (we have a corporate account) But Carmel works also. Just call in advance. The ONLY disadvantage to using a car service after sightseeing is you have to be at a SPECIFIC place at a SPECIFIC time.

Just flag a taxi. MUCH, MUCH easier. And they ALL know where LGA is. And MOST know where the Crowne Plaza is but take the address just in case-there are some newbie, idiot drivers out there.

If you THINK you need a break during the day (you don't have THAT much time between arrival at LGA and sightseeing), then book the overpriced Manhattan hotel room.

I HATE being in Times Square. TOURIST CITY. All the looky loos that have no idea what the City is REALLY about stay there. Crowded, noisy and certainly not for me. I prefer Downtown or the Village.

Do what you want. But if I only had one day to sight see, I sure wouldn't spend my money on an overpriced Manhattan hotel room. That's what you get-an OVERPRICED Manhattan hotel room. JMHO

The LaGuardia Hotel is a pain to go back and forth for sightseeing. The only time I would stay in the LaG hotel is to spend the night before the cruise or before flying home. That is not to say it is not a nice property. If your cruise leaves from Manhattan, and you want to sight-see in Manhattan then stay in Manhattan. Everything in NY is expensive, you just can't compare it to what things cost where you live. Don't forget to add in the cost of the cab to and from LaG when figuring the price.

You are out of touch. 30 minute train ride, 15 minute hotel shuttle ride to the train station from the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel. Can't make it much faster in a taxi or car service to Manhattan. And the OP is flying into LGA.

It is one of the TRUE bargains in NYC. As close as a cab ride into Manhattan to get to an overpriced hotel room.

Now if you REALLY think you need to go BACK to the the hotel during your sightseeing excursion, then book the Times Square/EVERYBODY TOURIST hotel room. You will be close to your hotel and can go lay down or just chill out. Or just sit your butt down at one of the many restaurants, bistros, etc. and enjoy the street scene (and enjoy the money you are saving). If you are REALLY into shopping, Manhattan may be the place to be to have a place to put all those shopping bags (Kim Kardashian comes to mind). But for the average US tourist, you will probably NEVER go back to the Manhattan hotel UNTIL you go to bed.

But if you are content to get away from the hustle and bustle, the train ride into the City is VERY peaceful (as long as you don't try it on Saturday morning). Gives you time to think, get your ducks in a row.

Then the whole world of Manhattan awaits you when you come up out of the subway.

I can spend my per diem allowance on top of the line Manhattan hotel rooms (per diem is $450 per day). Why would I???? Why shouldn't that money go in MY pocket? Do I REALLY want to stay in a noisy, crowded area (the typical tourist area around Times Square) when I can stay around South Street Seaport, FAR downtown, the Bowery, the Village (CONSIDERABLY more expensive than around LGA) or take a 30 minute train ride (less time than from the Upper East side to the Village) for FAR less money. I vote for the outlying areas.

My admin just ran the amount of luxury hotels I have stayed at IN MANHATTAN over the last 5 years. 28 to date. All the deluxe ones plus some of the second tier fancy ones.

Would I stay there again?? Only the Ritz, Battery Park City (the view), the Ganesvoort (for the party), the Plaza (for the historical value) and Trump Tower (just because THE DONALD lives there and would flip out if everything wasn't perfect).

Can I spend my money in better places? You betcha. Would I spend my per diem dollars on a "chain hotel" (Sheraton, Hilton, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Doubletree, etc. etc). Only once in while!!!

GreatAm, I don't think I am out of touch, I have lived and worked in Queens my entire life. There is no way you can convince me that the LaG location is more convenient than one that is in the heart of the tourist district, especially for the first time tourist to NYC. I like to walk out the door of my hotel and then walk everywhere I want to go, and then when I am tired or hungry, I can walk back to where I want to go. It is not the same as being a business person.

Thank you to everyone for all the info and the advice. I can appreciate both sides of the argument. We are flying to LGA and have ONE day - our flight arrives into LGA just before 10 am. We won't even be able to explore until probably around noon or 1pm. I see no reason that two semi-healthy adults can't enjoy walking, sitting & eating, taking a Holiday Lights tour, etc in 8 hours without needing to return to our hotel for a rest. Basically, if a nice hotel in Manhattan was $200, we wouldn't even be having this discussion... but I understand New York prices and can appreciate they may be worth it. I don't know what we will do but my husband seems to think a simple train ride into Times Square and a car service back is the way to go (something we looked into last night but thanks for the tip). When adding it up... it just makes "cents" ;)

Manhattan Hotel

Taxi from LGA to hotel = $35

Hotel = $342.01

Taxi back to hotel after long day walking over 2 miles all day = $15

Taxi from hotel to cruise port = $15

Total = $407.01

LGA Hotel

Free shuttle from LGA to hotel

Hotel = $130.83

7 Train to Times Square = $5

Car service or taxi back to LGA hotel = $45

Free shuttle to LGA to catch cruise bus to port

Cruise bus to port = $30

Total = $210.83

We have several months to think about this and change our mind or win the lottery however, I am a no-nonsense kinda gal ... frugal... I mean.. basically, I can be an elcheapo! So, LGA it will probably be!! I definitely appreciate both sides of the argument but despite New York seeming a bit intimidating, my husband and I enjoy travel and after letting this all sink in for a couple of days, it feels like it should be smooth going. Worst case scenario?? We have to ask someone to assist us because we are lost ~ and I hear New Yorkers are good at giving directions and quite polite! :)

By the way, whatever we decide, I will report back. I always do trip reports and can be very specific with details. Overall, I say.. to each his own!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the information! We will head to the HOHO bus for sure! A couple of miles we could handle...but 4 is not going to happen! I really appreciate the map too! ~Joyce

Hi Joyce,

We(DW and I) cruised out of Manhattan a year and a half ago. First time in NYC and we are from a town of 2000 people( so --country bumpkins). We stayed in Midtown Manhattan, took the subway to Battery Park, rode the Statin Island ferry, walked up to the WTC, looked around(the site was still under construction) then walked around the Finanical district(Wall Street) and then took the subway back up to Times Square. We had no problems and used this site for navigation help. http://hopstop.com/?city=newyork Put in your starting address, where you want to go, click on the picture of how you want to go(walk-Subway-bus-taxi etc ) it will tell you what subway, the times , where to "catch it. I found this site VERY helpful.:)

Hope this helps you..and if you have any problems at all, just stop and ask someone..found the people very helpful.

We are cruising out of NYC again 10/21/12 and plan on going to the WTC site again by subway and then going back up to Central Park and then walk back to Times Square to our hotel, using the same website for help.

Knarf (Frank backwards)

thank you so much for the helpful information! We will be there on Nov 1st, so you will even have more time to post more helpful hints when you return?! ~ Joyce

Hi Joyce,

we are leaving out of NYC on 10/21 for a 14 day cruise ending up in New Orleans on 11/4. So I will have to post my "hints" before I leave. I spend "much" time on the computer researching before I cruise(I know I need to get a life, but my wife has control of the TV remote so I just get on line and read and search !!:D

Here, Joyce, are some sights that I have found good info about NYC that has helped me.

Sorry for throwing so much at you. But I like to share.:p

www.timeoutny.com

www.nyctourist.com

www.nycgo.com

www.nyc.com

Here is Frommers one day walking tour of NYC http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/0021020766.html

Here is Frommer’s 3 day trip to NYC http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/0021020791.html

I also used this site for my travel arrangements….. http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/tripplanner.aspx

Here is a NYC map that I used to locate places.. http://www.aviewoncities.com/maps/nyc.htm

As I have said, we are going to NYC in Oct (a day before our cruise out of NYC) and I definitely want to to go the the World Trade Center site and Museum. You need a ticket to go there, they are free but they can limit long lines with a ticket procedure. This is the site for info about the WTC and the ticket procedure info

http://www.911memorial.org/

Instead of taking the subway to the WTC as I mentioned before, I am throwing around the idea of taking the water taxi from Midtown down along the west side of Manhattan down to Battery Park, getting off at the WTC site, visit the museum and then getting back on for the rest of the water taxi trip. The ticket for the water taxi includes the WTC site ticket. The site for the water taxi is http://www.nywatertaxi.com/tours/hop-memorial

Any questions ?:)

later,

Frank

[/font][/color]

I also just found an App for the 9/11 memorial. It has all the info as well as a self-guided tour through the memorial site. Just search for 9/11 memorial and you should locate it. ~ Joyce

Don't forget to make reservations for the 9/11 site, if you haven't already.

I also just found an App for the 9/11 memorial. It has all the info as well as a self-guided tour through the memorial site. Just search for 9/11 memorial and you should locate it. ~ Joyce

Don't forget to make reservations for the 9/11 memorial, if you haven't already.

Archived