Review of the Norwegian Star NYC to Bermuda - June 24 to July 1, 2012

TerpGirl77

Thanks for the review.

This wasn't meant I be my official response, but since I was up WAAAY past my bedtime I was delusional and replied. Okay here's my official reply...

We're cruise newborns. DH and I went on our first cruise in May ( RCI Monarch) and have another in November (CCL Glory). Really didn't have a desire to go on NCL, but always wanted to go to Bermuda. So I figured I would check out your review. I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS REVIEW TO BE AWESOME! It literally read like a novel. You truly do have a gift and I request that you always write reviews even if they're sans Mr. H.

Also your review allowed me to think about NY as a port, NCL as another line for us to experience, and solidified My desire to experience Bermuda. We live in Pittsburgh, but if we get the tickets far enough in advance we can get to NY via Megabus cheap. DH doesn't care what line or destination, he just wants to be on a boat, lol.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Terp Girl,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your review!

I am now sad that it is over. :(

However, happy to hear that you have another cruise coming up - on EPIC - I will be looking forward to reading more from you!

(and I KNOW Tracy will be posting - at least to her blog - when she returns this week!):D

I think all of us 'solo-cruiser-wanna-bees' should do a cruise together and meet up a few times during the cruise!

Runaway from life -wife/mother/SO/grandma/whatever/just plain runaway from life for a week cruise! LOL :rolleyes:

Just read the whole thing and you have a terrific narrative writing style.

I enjoyed every minute of your journal and the MR. H subplot was beyond excellent. (BTW of course he was married ).

I write my own little articles mostly for comedic purposes and the toughest ones to write are when everything goes right. Your trip would have been impossible for me to parody.

GREAT JOB and thank you.

I will agree with the other posters here, that was a great review. Since I was late to the game, I was lucky enough to read it all in one sitting! DH and I are on the Star in October for our 15th anniversary and are super excited! And, now I have some ammunition when talking about either the Chef's Table or the Ship's Tour (or both!). And, I have to think about seasickness medication since we are at the front of the ship, just under the bridge! A day like the one you described could be very interesting without that medication!

Thanks so much for your review!

Susan

Sorry, but I forgot a question. Like you, we have our favorite British chocolates from multiple trips to England. What drug store did you find the British chocolates in so that we make sure to visit that one when we sail in October!

Thanks,

Susan

Very nice review. Seems every time I read about a review to Bermuda everyone enjoys it. I can bet there will be a few more bookings because of your review. Me for one. I have some walking issues but with almost 3 days at port it shouldnt be to much of a problem. More time to sit when I have to. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It was a great read!!

Terp:

Here's the link to the final version that I made of your epic story. I hope you are able to relive your cruise until you can take the next one! Thanks again for the amazing journey, felt like I was right there!

Starry Night by TerpGirl77

First to Terp......amazing review and story!! Absolutely loved it!

To Tilly. That is awesome that you were able to turn her review in to a book! How in the world did you do it? I did a review to Bermuda (not half as good as this one) and would love to do the same thing to it so my wife could put it in our scrap book. Heck, I'd be willing to pay to have it done!

I loved your review! Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this, it was lively, diverse and entertaining. I sailed on the star 9 years ago in hawaii. It was my first cruise on NCL and I totally fell in love with NCL. It's so nice to hear that she ranks #1 in among the NCL ships. What you did for Armando was really nice! We always take really good care of the employees. They work so hard and sometimes I think people don't care. I can't imaging my husband leaving for 6 months to work so he can provide for us it's sad.

I was so glad to hear about your experience in bermuda most reviews I've read lately, the port descriptions are very brief and the whole review is about food. Although I initially was not thrilled about Bermuda, I have a different perspective now thanks to you. We are booking the breakaway next summer in celebration of our 10 year anniversary and plan to renew our vows with our daughter. So, I'm saving your review so that I can reference back to some of the places you visited.

The Chef's table sounds tempting but don't think I can sit down at a table for 3 hours:eek: I get antsy in the MDR I think it's because I'm on my feet most of the time I'm a photographer and after having 10 hour days (weddings:mad:) I have a hard time sitting for so long.

It's evident that you had a wonderful cruise and although Mr. H was a fluke at least you had a wonderful time. I hate the last day I start thinking of all the things I have to deal with when I get back. One thing I do is make sure I have something else booked. So all the work and stress I go through daily is for a reason. Honestly I work so hard just so that I can vacation.

I wonder if I will ever go on vacation alone (doubt it!) my husband and daughter are also obsessed with vacations. I just came back from one today and already have 3 more lined up. I don't think I would want to go without them. However, I'm quite jealous;) It's nice to have that time for you without having to answer to anyone or take care of someone else, just doing you. Take advantage now before you have kids I know I did.

Cannot wait to read more reviews from you in the future:)

Hi Vegas,

Thanks so much for your nice comment. I'm jealous that you get to cruise so often! To be honest the three hour dinner at the Chef's Table didn't seem that long because we were having such a good time. In fact, when it was over all of us looked at each other and said "It's that late?" Happy cruising!

Thanks for taking time and sharing your adventures. I really enjoyed reading each chapter and could not wait for the next one.

We also love, love, love Bermuda!!! It was great to relive our favorite places through your wonderful stories.

We usually cruise about 3 times a year but we have not been able to for a year due to DH's illness. Our last one was on the Gem last May, 2011 for DH's 61's birthday. He is now recovering and God willing our first one back will be on the Star to Bermuda in October.

Cruitenn,

Crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery so you two can get back out there!

Hi TerpGirl,

First of all, thanks for the very detailed review - you are such a great writer. I plan to take it with me when we are on the Star Sept. 9th.

Question: I'd like to know more about the gym - did you do any fitness classes? Are there plenty of treadmills and ellipticals? Did you have to wait for equipment? Is there a scale? (I do weight watchers and am worried about gaining weight on the cruise - I still want to enjoy the food!) What are the hours - is it 24/7?

Thanks again!

MustangJean

Hi Mustang,

Thank you! The Freestyle Daily listed a number of fitness classes that looked good (Spinning, Body Pump, etc.) but I didn't take any. I know spaces is at a premium on cruise ships so I was suprised by the size of the gym. They have nice updated elipiticals, treadmills, bikes, rowing machines, weight machines and free weights. I think the gym hours are 6am-10pm and I was always the first one there in the morning. Since it was near my stateroom I'd do a quick glance during the day and it never seemed packed to the point that you'd have to wait for a machine.

I didn't look for a scale but I totally understand. I lost about 60 pounds five years ago on WW and have managed to keep it off. I've stopped tracking, but tried the plate technique of trying to fill half of it with fruits and veggies, but I'm sure I ate ALL of my daily and weekly points over the week!

terpgirl77,

you deserve it!!

a month ago, i returned from the 7-day cruise to the Bahamas on the Gem. still high from the trip, i decided to buzz by the CC message boards a couple of hours ago, and came across your story. i couldn't put it down! i am impressed and inspired, both by your clever writing, and by the kindred-ness i found in it.

kindred-ness #1: cruising is the perfect balm for the burned-out. last year when i took my first cruise, it was also my first vacay in ten years... which i saw nothing wrong with because i work from home and so why would i need to go away? yet, i was always encouraging others to take a break. by the way, most of my precious few vacations had been solo travels, and i was hooked.

i'd never even been curious about cruising. but when a friend of mine was going on a cruise and texted me to say "i'll be inaccessible by phone or email for a week," i had an unusual reaction. a pang of jealousy. a thought: oh wow. how wonderful it would be to be unplugged and inaccessible.

so i asked another friend who'd cruised, "what do you DO on a cruise, anyway?" she replied simply, "NOTHING!"

the following week, i had a little meltdown. DUH. so i rushed over to a travel agency and cried on their shoulder--which is how i ended up on the Norwegian Jewel last June.

kindred-ness #2: i went solo! but that's part of my habit. i've always been spoiled by the freedom of solo travel.

kindred-ness #3: i'm a freelance journalist and editor. although it's not my first career, it's my third, and so i absolutely identified with the description of your professional responsibilities and your schedule.

kindred-ness #4: i love the inside cabin too! especially the king-sized bed. i truly appreciated seven days of rest and relaxation. i needed a bit of light so i brought along flameless votives from the dollar store. as for a window and a balcony? the whole ship was my window and my balcony!

kindred-ness #5: i met some wonderful, wonderful people on the cruise. couples, kids, seniors, babies, and the crew too! we made some great memories.

kindred-ness #6: loved your description of the last-day blues! last year on the Jewel, on the morning of debarkation i could NOT stop crying. i actually had to flee the ship so no one would see me blubbering.

okay, so there are a couple of areas in which we are not so kindred:

non-kindred-ness #1: i travel on a tight budget. so my buzz came from the free liquor tastings in the shops! and i didn't check out the premium restaurants. so i thank you for the vicarious meals!

non-kindred-ness #2: i didn't meet any touchy-feely dudes. but your experience made for a great memory. woulda been so funny if you'd posted his photo. ha!

non-kindred-ness #3: i didn't post the account of my trip (except for some captioned facebook photos). but maybe i should. i do know how valuable it is to have posts from solo travelers.

non-kindred-ness #4: i drank the "put down a $250 deposit toward a future cruise" kool-aid. hence, my recent cruise on the Gem. same itinerary, same time of year. my vow to myself: a vacay every year!

and finally, i agree with your fans: you should hook up with some travel mags and get yourself a free cruise... you absolutely deserve it!

thanks again for helping me relive my cruise, and for inspiring me in many other ways. and please, please, make sure you take regular cruises. it gives you something to look forward to when the work gets... work-y.

you're a STAR!!

deepee

DPNYC,

I love this post! Writing this review was really fun and based on all of the really sweet feedback from everyone here has me thinking "What If?" How would it work if I decided to do a little freelance writing on the side?

And yes, things have been particularly work-y lately so I come home and read some reviews of the Epic and it makes me feel much better!

Now, you need to write your review -- I'd love to read it!

I don't think I have ever enjoyed a review this much. You make Bermuda sound so enticing I am placing it on my bucket list. I live close to so many ports that it is so easy just to jump on any ship. Going to Bermuda is now very high on my list. Enjoy your time on the Epic and please post a review, as I am considering this one next. Maybe the Transatlantic. Hope to see you on a cruise sometime. You sound like a fun traveler. I still can't believe he was MARRIED!!! I am such a romantic!

Hi NeuroQueen,

I hope you do go to Bermuda. Since things didn't work out with Mr. H I guess the real romance was me falling completely in love with Bermuda! I'm excited about my trip on the Epic and will definitely post a review. Happy cruising!

Sorry, but I forgot a question. Like you, we have our favorite British chocolates from multiple trips to England. What drug store did you find the British chocolates in so that we make sure to visit that one when we sail in October!

Thanks,

Susan

Hi Sebship,

I hope you enjoy the Star and Bermuda as much as I did! I just checked my AMEX statement online and the drug store is called Robertson's. It's in St. George. The store was half drug store with a lot of cute gift shop items. I found the rack of British candies near the second register near the door. Enjoy your trip!

This wasn't meant I be my official response, but since I was up WAAAY past my bedtime I was delusional and replied. Okay here's my official reply...

We're cruise newborns. DH and I went on our first cruise in May ( RCI Monarch) and have another in November (CCL Glory). Really didn't have a desire to go on NCL, but always wanted to go to Bermuda. So I figured I would check out your review. I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS REVIEW TO BE AWESOME! It literally read like a novel. You truly do have a gift and I request that you always write reviews even if they're sans Mr. H.

Also your review allowed me to think about NY as a port, NCL as another line for us to experience, and solidified My desire to experience Bermuda. We live in Pittsburgh, but if we get the tickets far enough in advance we can get to NY via Megabus cheap. DH doesn't care what line or destination, he just wants to be on a boat, lol.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Hello HUBison (assuming you've spent some time in DC based on this name!),

I can't find any faults with NCL and I hope you do try them. I was expecting getting to the pier in NYC to be hectic but it was really easy and even though I delayed my trip down on the day before departure it was nice to spend a night in one of my favorite cities before I left. And, MegaBus is a great travel option! I'm definitely planning on writing a review of my trip on Epic and I sincerely hope there are no Mr. H like incidents this go around!

Very nice review. Seems every time I read about a review to Bermuda everyone enjoys it. I can bet there will be a few more bookings because of your review. Me for one. I have some walking issues but with almost 3 days at port it shouldnt be to much of a problem. More time to sit when I have to. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It was a great read!!

Silverman,

I would definitely recommend this itinerary because of the almost three days you spend it port. You can slow down, take your time and do things at your own pace. Thanks for your nice comment!

What a great read! I live in Lanham, so even though I am not a real Terp like you, I figured it would be good. Glad I only found it today, the suspense would have killed this old girl. We will be taking the same cruise in Oct. for our 45th anniversary. It will be our 9th time to Bermuda, but none of them have had the excitement that you have shown (except maybe for the Honeymoon!). Glad that it turned out well for you. Keep on cruising. Our first was to Bermuda and this one will be #52. I have never met a cruise I didn't like.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi TerpGirl77! I imagine you are quite busy now with all the political goings on....good luck with that.

So glad I found your cruise report as I just made a final payment on my first solo cruise. Not your ship, but the Dawn for Western Caribbean in November. Your adventures, travel style and observations really intrigued me and I'm going to go with your suggestion of the Captain's Table. I'd love to have such a fine time as you.

Thanks for writing such an engaging report. You made your readers think of you as a friend and I for one would love to share a 'tini with you.

Cheers and thanks!

Hello HUBison (assuming you've spent some time in DC based on this name!),

I can't find any faults with NCL and I hope you do try them. I was expecting getting to the pier in NYC to be hectic but it was really easy and even though I delayed my trip down on the day before departure it was nice to spend a night in one of my favorite cities before I left. And, MegaBus is a great travel option! I'm definitely planning on writing a review of my trip on Epic and I sincerely hope there are no Mr. H like incidents this go around!

Yes ma'am I'm a Howard U alum. Wait you're going on Epic? When? We booked on 5th year anniversary cruise next year on her. We were going to do DCL, we honeymooned at WDW, but couldn't justify the cost for a balcony. Since its a special anniversary we really wanted a balcony. We thought about taking Gem out of NY and I would've loved to be on her, but it's a 9 day and DH doesn't have a lot of vacation days.

Hi,

Your reviews was great i read it all the way through,heading to bermuda in september 2013. also will be in washington dc checking out whats to offer before catching the train to new york.

Do you have any more reviews to read you have written you love to read them.

Should join a group that cruises you sound like good fun:D

Archived