Review of the Norwegian Star NYC to Bermuda - June 24 to July 1, 2012

TerpGirl77

Day Four: Beautiful Bermuda

Good evening everyone! Before I get on to day four, I wanted to pause and say thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your kind comments. Please know that they really mean something to me and I now have written evidence for my dad that the English degree was worth a few of his pennies!

So, it’s the BIG day! Bermuda! And we don’t have to leave at 5pm! The night before I was like a small child on Christmas Eve. I kept waking up, turning the TV to “Channel 4” to see the deck camera, and then to the next channel to see how many nautical miles until we arrived. 1:30 AM – double digits, 4:30 AM – still double digits, 6:00am SINGLE DIGITS!

I couldn’t contain my excitement so I was off like a rocket at 6am to the fitness center. A few more people milling around and I felt a tinge of excitement and anticipation on the ship. Motivation is a funny thing. I wanted to maximize every moment in Bermuda, so my plan was to be off the ship in the 8:00 am hour when we docked. With that thought in my head, I finished my normal one-hour workout in 45 minutes, cutting a bunch of minutes off my normal running pace.

It’s 6:45 and I’m all done with gym time so it was off to Market Café again for breakfast. I went all out this morning and went to the egg station and walked away with a huge veggie omelet. I paired that with some bacon, potatoes, fruit and a pastry, tea and OJ. I think that was enough food to fuel my day.

Over breakfast, I reviewed my sketch of what I wanted to do for the three days in Bermuda. Here’s the breakdown:

Bermuda Day One: Shopping and lunch in Hamilton then Horseshoe Bay Beach

Bermuda Day Two: St. George then Elbow Bay Beach

Bermuda Day Three: Dockyard/Snorkel Park (I’m terrified of missing the ship so I decided it would be best to stay close to home --like 10 steps close to home --on the day we depart.)

I’ve never done excursions, mostly because they seem to be hit and miss in terms of quality and pricy. I’d rather go it on my own and use the money for souvenir shopping or a great meal in a local restaurant. To come up with my sketch, I downloaded the Fodor’s guide on my Kindle and highlighted the things I wanted to see.

Breakfast is over (and was delicious, did I mention that I love breakfast?) and as I’m in the hallway a few doors down from my cabin I see Mr. Handsome walking toward me. This morning’s greeting was a hug and a little kiss on the cheek. I ask him what he’s doing on “this side of town” (his room is on the port side) and he tells me he was trying to find me to see what I was planning to do in Bermuda, but wasn’t sure which room was mine. I point and say “it’s just up the hall” and share what’s in the sketch for day one AND did he want to join me? He tells me he’s planning to rent jet skis with son and friend but I’d probably see him around Hamilton or did I want to meet up tonight? I told him let’s meet at Gatsby’s at 7pm and we could go from there. It’s a date? Maybe?

SAFETY BREAK FOR SOLOS: I was hesitant to give Mr. H my stateroom number, although I’m sure he saw me go into my room after we finished our conversation. Just wanted to say that I think cruising is one of the safest ways for single women travelling solo. You are essentially in one big group in a contained environment, cameras are EVERYWHERE, your card records all of your transactions thus your whereabouts on the ship and that photo you take at check-in isn’t for some item they want to sell you later – it’s for the facial recognition software they use when you leave and return to the ship. As a single woman who travels a lot, I feel safer on a cruise ship than I do in hotels that I often stay in for work.

And we’re back. It’s 8:45 am and I am on the ground in Bermuda.

ry%3D480

Hello Bermuda. I love you already.

It’s a nice walk down the pier and into the customs/shopping area in the Dockyard. Here you can purchase a three-day ferry/bus pass. For $28 (CASH ONLY) you get unlimited rides on the bus or ferry and an easy to read, well-marked map. The pass is a great value and the bus is an excellent way to see Bermuda. I had no problem with the bus routes and the people of Bermuda are very friendly and will eagerly point you in the right direction if you are confused or lost. (SIDE NOTE: I noticed Bermudans greet each other by saying “morning, afternoon or evening depending on the time of day instead of hello, how are you? So I started doing it too. It feels very civilized.) Pass in hand I weaved my way through the groups gathering for excursions and got in line for the ferry.

With passengers loading and unloading and actual travel time, the ferry takes approximately 40 minutes to Hamilton. It was such a beautiful ride.

ry%3D480

Baby island photo from the ferry.

The ferry drops you off right on Front Street the main drag in Hamilton. Bermuda is a place where all of your senses are engaged --the pastel color buildings, the sweet smell of sea air, the sound of scooters and British accents all around. The tropical sun was full blast this morning and I realized if I was going to be out all day that sunglasses weren’t going to cut it so I made my first purchase – a big sun hat from a shop selling tee shirts and other souvenir items.

Now that I didn’t have the sun beating down on my head, I started walking down Front Street looking at all of the shops. There are two ships at the Dockyard (Star and Celebrity Summit) and the HAL Veendam is docked in Hamilton so the streets are busy. I check out a few shops and especially love the stores where you can get real “Bermuda” shorts and other island gear, such a great look, especially for the guys. I make a second purchase at the Irish Linen Store where I find some beautiful French hand towels for my mother in a beautiful Greek key pattern that she loves.

My father calls me a “clothes horse” (whatever that means) and I openly admit that I do love to shop. A few doors down from the Irish Linen Shop is a women’s boutique called Cecile. This is where I hit pay dirt with an amazing Lilly Pulitzer sale! Their entire back room was filled with everything Lilly – clothes and accessories and I had an absolute field day. Most of the items were 50% off with some items up to 70% off. I went on a shopping spree here and bought three dresses, two pairs of shorts, two tops, a swimsuit and a bag. Then I realized I was going to the beach and would be either hauling all of this stuff with me or I had to take a round trip ferry ride back to the ship which would be almost two hours round trip.

Luckily, the shops in Hamilton stay open until 9pm on Wednesday nights because of a special event called Harbor Nights, which is a street festival with vendors and live music. The women in the shop agreed to hold my purchases until I returned. The woman at Cecile told me they often have great sales like the one I found, so if you are in Hamilton be sure to stop by – there are deals to be had!

While I was trying on clothes I asked one of the shopkeepers for recommendation on a good place for lunch. She said “If I were you I’d pack a picnic and head to the beach.” Great idea! She recommended a little deli called the Hickory Stick that was a few blocks up on Church Street. This was good since it was fairly close to the bus stop and I would get to see more of Hamilton.

Hamilton is a very tiny city so you can quickly see all of the major sights by taking a walk. I passed by their small but beautifully landscaped park, a Cathedral, the Parliament House and the original post office. To me Hamilton’s strength is dining and shopping.

DINING RECOMMENDATION: The Hickory Stick is a small, unassuming takeout place and was filled with locals. They serve sandwiches, salads and have hot food specials. They’ll wrap up your food and give you utensils so you have everything you need for a beach picnic! I got a roast beef sandwich, chips, cookie and ginger beer. The sandwich was HUGE – enough for two and was very, very good.

Lunch in hand I boarded the pastel pink bus for the 25 minute ride to Horseshoe Bay beach.

What can I say about Horseshoe Bay Beach? I don’t have the words to adequately describe how beautiful it is. The sand has the slightest tint of pink and is soft like baby powder, the water is an inky aqua blue and there are beautiful rock formations. It’s a popular destination because there is a lifeguard on duty, has a chair rentals, a food station and a restroom/shower/changing area. It was crowded. I heard people calling one part of the beach “the baby pool” because its protected by rocks, has no waves and is shallow. I saw a lot of families with little ones on that part of the beach.

I rented a chair and set up camp for the day. And this was my view for five hours.

ry%3D480

I spent the day reading, taking little catnaps, climbing the rocks, playing in the ocean and enjoying the scenery. What’s so interesting about Bermuda is how quickly the weather conditions change, so be ready for anything. First it was sunny, then it got windy, then it RAINED, then cloudy for a bit and then back to perfect sun. You can tell who the locals are because when it rained the tourists went running for cover dismayed that their beach day was ruined and the locals stayed put. One couple put a towel over their heads, one guy got IN the ocean and another family just sat there until is was over. I followed their lead and literally in 10 minutes it was all over!

After the rain I took a dip in the ocean and was back in my chair sipping on a rum swizzle and just people watching. Up the beach further in the water I spot two boys trying to body surf. I keep looking and realize it is son and friend! Surely, Mr. H cannot be far behind. I start looking around to see if I can find him but don’t see him anywhere. This is interesting and I want to know more (busybody.) So, when I see son and friend heading toward the food stand I get up and decide I want a snowball so head that way too (if you go here get the grape snowball – yum!)

We end up being in the same line and son nods hello. I say hi and ask them how their day at the beach was. Son says he’s been trying to body surf but the waves are too calm. That’s when I go in for the kill. I say “you’ll have to get your dad to take you to another beach.” Son says: “Oh he’s not here, he decided to stay on the ship today.” I reply, “Cool, you two are out on your own today. How old are you again?” Son replies: 14.

What?

Ok, I am not a parent, so I have no right to judge, but this did not sit well with me. If I were a mom I would be very hesitant to let my 14-year-old son and his friend loose in a foreign country. I know kids these days grow up faster and have more street smarts but I would love to know what other moms and dads think about this. At the very least, even if that’s the way of the world today, I would actually want to spend some time with my child and share in the experience of such an amazingly beautiful place. Maybe it’s unrealistic at that age and again it's really none of my business I guess.

It’s evening now and the beach is starting to clear so I rinse off, use the changing room (warning: it’s grimy) head up the very steep hill to the bus stop (Wow – I got a second workout on this hill. In fact you can pay a van driver $1 per person to shuttle you to the top.)

Arriving back in Hamilton I get a second wind as the Harbor Nights street festival is getting started. At first I was going to stop by Cecile’s and then head back to the ferry, but I just like being in Hamilton so stop by Docksider’s Bar on Front Street for a rum swizzle. This is a fun sports bar with a jukebox that was playing good tunes. I start talking to the bartender and he convinces me that I need to try their award winning fish chowder and I oblige and get a grilled cheese to go along with it. Sometimes the simplest meals are the best ones and this was a great one. Fish chowder is a local dish in Bermuda and should not be missed! Just don't put too much of the spicy vinegar like sauce in your soup. It is hot!

I’m starting to get tired and decide it is time to head back to the ship. I stop by Cecile’s to pick up my purchases and buy a pair of sandals and necklace to go with my new outfits. (American Express will be happy this month)

The ferry is crowded with tired passengers trying to get back to Star or Summit but it’s still a relaxing trip.

ry%3D480

Good evening, Hamilton.

I'm late getting back and I’m supposed to meet Mr. Handsome at Gatsby's soon, so I rush back to my room, drop my bags and take a quick shower and change. I’m 15 minutes late but he’s there and he's still handsome. I decide I’m going to keep silent about running into son and friend but start the conversation by saying “what did you all do today?” He says he “hung around all day.” I ask him where and he says he stayed on the ship for most of the day and then “we went out to the Dockyard.” Terrific.

I tell him all about my day, babbling on as usual and then we switch to talking about life back home. During this conversation he blurts out “we should keep in touch after the cruise is over.” I decide this is a good thing and we get a pen from the bartender and I write down my email address on a napkin. He says “your boyfriend isn’t going to get mad if some guy starts e-mailing you right?” and I let him know there is no one to get mad, I’m single for right now.

We’ve each had two drinks so things are not out of control and the next comment raises the stakes. He says, “Good, I was hoping we could have a some fun on this cruise” and then starts rubbing my back. Ummm….

Ok, I’m 35 years old, clearly an adult and I firmly believe what goes on in the bedroom or how you get there is really no ones business as long as it’s legal, consenting, you are not cheating, etc. etc. But even with this philosophy, I just don’t do the one night thing. Call me a prude, tell me it’s why I’m single, but it is simply a no-go for me.

Acting more like a 17 than 35 year old I laugh it off, lean away and say “I don’t know about that.” I think he’s got the message. He asks what I’m going to do next. I tell him I might go to Spinnaker Lounge and he says he needs to go catch up with son and friend. He gets up to leave and when he does gives me his stateroom number and says call if “I want to meet up later.” Don’t wait by the phone mister.

I have one more drink at Gatsby’s and for some reason I’m hungry again. I decide to mix it up and go to Blue Lagoon for snacks. There’s a reason why everyone on these boards rave about this place. Those buffallo wings are delicious and so is the spinach and artichoke dip. It’s only 10:45pm, but being out in the sun all day has really made me tired so I go back to my stateroom, organize my purchases, put on some aloe lotion and get ready for bed. I open up one of the red wines from the mini bar and watch The Vow on TV (note: have tissues handy).

Bermuda day one was a very good one and demonstrates the benefit of this type of itinerary. I felt no pressure to go at some insane pace to see and do everything – I just took my time, slowed down and did what I wanted to do. Very nice to live life at this pace.

Next Up: Bermuda Day Two, The. Most. Amazing. Meal. Ever. aka The Chef’s Table and tearing up the dance floor at the White Hot Party.

Will try to get a few posts up tomorrow. Have a very boring technical review for a client, so I can "multi task" by listening and writing at the same time!

Excellent review!

I agree, you really are a great story teller.

One question though, did you buy a day pass for the spa or were you allowed to use the facilities because you had gotten the massage?

Hi sbt518,

Thanks for your nice note! You have to buy the day pass separately from your spa treatment. It was $30 but totally worth it to me, especially on that rainy day. Enjoy your cruise!

Again, I was HORRIBLE about taking pictures but here are a few that I failed to include in other posts because I was typing too fast.

ry%3D480

There are no pictures or recording during the shows due to copyright, but I snapped this picture of the stage before it started.

ry%3D480

My reminder to turn my clock back.

ry%3D480

Street in Hamilton

ry%3D480

Remains of appetizers at Ginza

ry%3D480

I miss this view...

i'm not finished reading this review yet--i just got to sea day two--but i wanted to say thanks! love it! i did this same sailing solo on the gem back in october--we are kindred cruise spirits, you and i. i also loved freestyle dining (and took my kindle) and i also did the martini tasting (and felt it was a LOT of alcohol--fortunately i'm ok with that!) i also found an inside cabin to be perfect for a solo traveler. and i was also awakened by the clicking of hangers. ;-)

i'll be on the star on sunday (this time with my husband so not solo--boo...) and this is making me even more excited for our trip. thanks!!!

That's so funny and I'm so envious that you're headed out so soon. Drink a martini for me and I hope you have a great time!

"Ok, I am not a parent, so I have no right to judge, but this did not sit well with me. If I were a mom I would be very hesitant to let my 14-year-old son and his friend loose in a foreign country. I know kids these days grow up faster and have more street smarts but I would love to know what other moms and dads think about this."

As a parent of a 13 year old and 15 year old, NEVER would that be okay with me! So many things could go terribly wrong in that scenerio that it's scary to think about.

Looking forward to reading more!

DINING RECOMMENDATION: The Hickory Stick is a small, unassuming takeout place and was filled with locals. They serve sandwiches, salads and have hot food specials. They’ll wrap up your food and give you utensils so you have everything you need for a beach picnic! I got a roast beef sandwich, chips, cookie and ginger beer. The sandwich was HUGE – enough for two and was very, very good.

In all of the reviews and posts about Bermuda that I've read, you are the first I've found that went to the Stick. It's across the street from the bank where I work and I agree the food is great and the portions are huge. The place has no sign on the outside, so you have to know where it is and that is why only locals go there. I just hope you haven't let the cat out of the bag now :D.

Glad to hear you had a great time when you were here. Keep the posts coming.

First of all, this is great...not just a review, but a thriller, too. Hurry up, what happens next?????

Now my question, You wrote about the pools in the Spa. What is the access to them? Is it only ladders or do they have an area with steps down into them?

Do you know if there are any shady outside areas to sit and read and is there shade in the Adults Only area?

Thanks, really looking forward to more and to finding out about Mr. H.

Love your review!! :)

Anxiously awaiting the next installments. It certainly does read like a short story!

After reading some yesterday, I informed my husband that someday I would love to do a solo cruise..LOL I got a really funny look. <shruggin> He'll get over it! :rolleyes:

you have no idea how happy i was to see your latest post. i'm hooked. ha!

i don't know how i feel about mr. h but he sure is making for an interesting trip report!

also--please get to bermuda day 2 soon! i'm sailing on sunday and want to hear about your chef's table experience, as i'm very very seriously considering doing it (if we can get a reservation).

Anxiously awaiting the next installments. It certainly does read like a short story!

After reading some yesterday, I informed my husband that someday I would love to do a solo cruise..LOL I got a really funny look. <shruggin> He'll get over it! :rolleyes:

i'm married and i went on two solo cruises this year. have your husband talk to mine--he'll extoll the virtues of having a wife who travels without him (the first one is 'can eat pizza for a week'. ha!)

i'm married and i went on two solo cruises this year. have your husband talk to mine--he'll extoll the virtues of having a wife who travels without him (the first one is 'can eat pizza for a week'. ha!)

LOL Yes, Tracy - I've even had him reading some of your blogs... he "thinks" he may be okay with this...'someday' .LOL)

Not that I'm a stalker, or creepy, I just have too much time on my hands and work with MS Office constantly...so...I present "Starry Nights" by TerpGirl77, all the reviews and story put together so far into a readable book with a table of contents (are all hyperlinked to the appropriate chapter).

Really look forward to reading the next installment!

Sorry I couldn't attach the PDF to this posting, it's too big by like 4 KB or something, so it goes to my blog where it's stored for now.

Not that I'm a stalker, or creepy, I just have too much time on my hands and work with MS Office constantly...so...I present "Starry Nights" by TerpGirl77, all the reviews and story put together so far into a readable book with a table of contents (are all hyperlinked to the appropriate chapter).

Sorry I couldn't attach the PDF to this posting, it's too big by like 4 KB or something, so it goes to my blog where it's stored for now.

OMGoodness, Tilly! It's amazing! I can't wait to get to the next chapter!

Wow, that is so cool! She can send her manuscript in to get published now!! We are all waiting patiently for her next chapter!

***Shh, don't tell! I'm writing this during the technical portion of a day long presentation and since I don't understand XML, PPL, blah, blah, blah I can atleast look smart and make it seem like I'm taking notes.***

Bermuda Day Two: St. George's and Beyond

Humans are creatures of habit and that applies to cruise ships. I ended up seeing the some of the same people everyday because they seem to be on the same "route" -- Market Cafe at breakfast, poolside at lunch, Gatsby's for drinks... This morning I decided to travel a different route, forgo the gym get up and dressed and head to the MDR for breakfast. This was a really nice change of pace with the table service and I got to see a bunch of new faces.

Today was a tremendously important day for my a number of my clients since the Supreme Court was issuing the Obamcare ruling, so I temporarily interupted my vaction to log-in to my company's VPN to make sure things were not absolute chaos at the office. I purchased the $55 internet package (100 minutes) and spend 30 minutes or so answering a few things here and there. The crazy week I had in the office before departure paid off as everything was actually going smoothly.

I'm off the ship and it's hot and hazy today. I head for the ferry and lineup for St. George. It's about an hour ride and I was just planning to enjoy the scenery but there was a wonderul Bermuda Ambassador on board this ferry. He gave a long talk about the history of Bermuda and St. George and had a great sense of humor. Peppered into his talk he gave dining and shopping tips for our time in St. George and answered a lot of questions. I really appreciated this free service and if you have questions look for the Ambassadors dressed in neon shirts all around the island.

ry%3D480

View headin' out for the day!

Inspired by the ferry talk I decided to take in a little history (instead of heading straight for shopping and strolling) and walked out to St. Catherine's Fort. This is where it all started for Bermuda, a ship wrecks, lands ashore here and the rest is history. The fort is a bit of a walk from town so take that into account if you have on strappy sandals like I did.

Back in St. George and it's windy and hot so I stop by the little store near the ferry stop and get a scoop of ice cream. Nothing wrong with having an ice cream cone before lunch, right? Now on to the shopping. My first stop was the Bermuda Glassworks store. They have hand crafted glass made in Bermuda and I found a little whale-shaped piece for my friend. They also have rum cake samples and I bought three to take home to various family members. Those things are so good! This shop will also hold your items while you go around town and I was grateful I didn’t have to try and protect my glass gift the whole day.

Next up: the perfume factory. This is such a lovely little place. When enough people gather, they give you a little tour and we got to go upstairs and see one of the staff members bottling and wrapping up the perfume. I went overboard here buying soaps and the fragrance sampler kit for me and two fragrances and lotions for gifts.

After that I went over to the St. Peter’s Church that was built in the 1500s. The church volunteer here was very friendly and patient in answering questions. Services are still held at this church and it’s worth the visit. They have a prayer request book and the volunteer told me they pray for all of the requests each week. It was interesting to read all the requests from different parts of the world. I was in the church when I got the CNN Breaking News e-mail about the ruling, so I took a minute, sat down and prayed for our country and our leaders.

ry%3D480

Church in St. George

I just wandered through the town after church and stopped at the Historical Society. There’s not much to see at this tiny little museum, but I there is a great gift shop that only stocks locally made items and I picked up two watercolor paintings by a local artist that were on sale.

ry%3D480

Street Corner in St. George

Time for lunch and I headed to the White Horse Pub. The food here was typical bar food and not a highlight of the trip but it was nice to sit and eat lunch on the water. I walked down another few streets in St. George and decided to stop into a local drug store just because the storefront was cute. Here I found another shopping haven. This store had in stock all of my favorite British chocolate, candies and drugstore products. A couple of years ago during a trip to London and Paris, I left my entire toiletry kit behind in a hotel in Paris so had to buy all new products. I fell in love with a bunch of them and they had a full selection in this store. I think the woman at the register thought I was crazy, buying three tubes of toothpaste and a whole bunch of chocolate bars! It was starting to look like rain, so I asked the woman standing outside the store which was best way to get back to the Dockyard and she recommended the taking the #1 bus to Hamilton and ferry from there.

The #1 bus is like taking the “local” and if you have time to do this I’d recommend it. It’s like getting a very affordable driver take you around Bermuda with a “few” of your friends. You get to see some beautiful houses and see what the local surroundings are like. It’s the prettiest ride I’ve ever taken on public transportation.

I spread out my map and figured out what roads we were travelling, I just hopped off at a stop that had something interesting nearby. I knew I was at the right stop because other groups of people would get on or off at the same stop. Bermuda’s attractions are not theme park sized so you can get through them pretty quickly. Here’s where I stopped.

1. Crystal Caves: Worth it. The stalagmites are amazing and very large. If you are putting this on your main list of places to visit, be sure to wear close toed shoes. You can really climb down in the caves and the footing was not great for my sandals with no traction on the bottom. I would have done more here if I had the right shoes
  2. Botanical Garden: I didn’t spend too much time here, but I went into the rose gardens and a few of the flowering gardens too.
  3. Swizzle Inn: Take it or leave it here. I can say I’ve been. It might be more fun if I stayed a little longer and planned to have a meal but it was really a refreshment/ladies room break. I will say the rum swizzles are VERY STRONG and I wondered about all the customers who were drinking pitchers and then getting back on their scooters! I wouldn’t be able to do it after a few of those drinks.

4.Elbow Bay Beach: Loved, loved, loved. This beach is so beautiful, less crowded than Horseshoe but the water is a lot rougher. If actually wished I had not made the other stops and just went here as planned. The water is a lot rougher and there is no lifeguard or any chairs for rent or changing rooms, just pure beautiful beach.

The #1 drops you right on Front Street in Hamilton (it does go all the way to the Dockyard I think, but the ferry is faster)and really wanted to do another stroll through Hamilton, but also wanted to get back and take my time getting ready for the Chef’s Table so I ran for the ferry and just made it on.

Back on the ship and I’m dressed and ready to go for the Chef’s Table! I didn’t do any of the “dress up or don’t” nights but did step it up from my usual and wore a fancier maxi dress and wedges for this dinner.

NEWBIE/EXPERIENCED CRUISERS/WHOEVER WILL LISTEN TIP: DO THE CHEF’S TABLE. If you are on a budget, make this your splurge, if you are like me and treat yourself on cruises, this is the real deal. When you have to entertain clients you get to have some very good dining experiences and I’ve been blessed to be able to dine is four and five star restaurants around the world. I’ve eaten at “celebrity” Chef’s Tables before and I never thought I’d find a similar dining experience on a cruise ship, but I absolutely did. The Chef’s Table gets my 100%, A++ seal of approval. Don’t delay, book today.

All of the guests are asked to arrive at Gatsby’s no later than 6pm (you get a reminder in your stateroom the day before). I arrived at 6pm on the nose and the concierge greeted me by name (remember the facial recognition software?). They had roped off an area of Gatsby’s for us to sit and lounge and we were served a glass of chilled champagne. Wonderfully refreshing since I’d been out in the sun all day.

There were 14 of us in total, older couples, younger couples and a few other solo travelers (nice to see.) Everyone was mingling in our little area of Gatsby’s and then Monica the concierge asked us to get together for a group photo. We got all arranged on the stairs and the photographer came and took our photo. Then we were whisked through La Cucina into a private room in the back.

For those who study the ship layout, I’d be interested to know where this room connects to. I actually think this was an area of Aqua where they have movable walls to make small dining spaces. Anyway, the room was all decked out. They brought in a bunch of art pieces from the art auction and had them on easels around the room. The table was beautifully set. I found ny name card at the head of the table with another solo traveler and a lovely Canadian couple to my left.

When I sat down I saw a recognizable logo from my fashion magazines. The chargers on the table were Versace! Curious I discretely (probably not) turned over the plate and there it was hand stamped and numbered: “Versace. Italy.” Nice. Monica started with a brief introduction, describing the service for the evening and then introduced the executive chef, the executive pastry chef, the executive sommelier our waiters. The sommelier did a brief talk about the wine pairings and then out came the waiters with our amuse bouche!

I’m not going to go through all nine courses, but will post a photo of the menu when I get back to my hotel oom. This was one of my top-5 all time meals. Ok, nevermind, you can skip this part but I have to write about a few of my favorites that I’m still thinking about:

·The amuse bouche was a gastronomical treat. There was a piece of mango that was somehow infused with air (I’m explaining this all wrong, so make so you go to get the correct explanation) and it exploded in your mouth. It was a wonderful mix of salty and sweet all at the same time.

·The soup course was liquid heaven. We get a white bowl with a white cauliflower something or other stacked in the middle. I was actually one course behind in my head and though this is a huge bowl for such a small serving and I guess they are going for the monochromatic look with the white on white. Then the waiter come out with little pitchers for each place setting and poured the most luscious delicious asparagus soup ever.

·The granite was grapefruit flavored and was so refreshing.

·The sea bass was probably the best prepared piece of fish I’ve had in a long time and the sauce I could drink out of a glass.

·The wine was excellent and they were generous with the servings frequently topping off glasses when they were getting low. We definitely had more than four glasses of wine served to us.

Sea bass and veal were the two main courses, but we had both Kosher and gluten free table mates and the chef brought out equally appealing options for them from what I could see. After each course, the Chef would come out and explain the ingredients and how he made them. I’ve been at Chef’s Tables before where the chef shows up at the end of the meal and waves hello so I appreciated how interactive he was.

What made this a perfect meal was not only the wonderful food but the wonderful company. I guess it was fate but the 14 of us just clicked instantly. During the almost three-hour dinner we were just howling with laughter to the point where my sides hurt, we had a great rapport with the sommelier and waiters and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. You could not create a more fun and festive dinner party if you tried. At the end of the meal our concierge said she’d never seen a group of strangers have so much fun together and she couldn’t wait to write up the report for the hotel director. As we left the dining area a woman sitting in La Cucina stopped one of my dining companions and asked what was going on in that room because it sounded like we were having a lot of fun.

After dinner Chef Jerome came around and took another photo with each person or couple, we received our group photo from the start of the dinner, a signed menu and an invitation for a private galley tour on the last sea day. We were escorted back to our roped off area in Gatsby’s for after dinner drinks.

We all hung out at Gatsby’s for a while and ordered another round of drinks and then one of the couples said we were all going to the Spinnaker lounge for the White Hot party. Things were hopping when we arrived and we literally danced the night away. It was so much fun with all of us out there – multiple age ranges and life stages just completely getting down to the music with our neon necklaces hanging around our necks. Around 3:00 we left the Spinnaker and a few of us headed to Blue Lagoon for “fourth meal.” Chicken wings all around.

This is what I think sets cruising apart from any other type of vacation. It’s 3:30 in the morning and I’m sitting in Bermuda in a nice looking restaurant eating chicken wings with a couple in their late 50s, a couple in their 40s another 35 year old woman all who I just met a few hours ago and we are laughing and carrying on like we’ve know each other forever. At 4:30 am I arrived back at my stateroom my face hurting from smiling and laughing so hard.

Oh and by the way no Mr. H sightings today.

Next up: Final day in Bermuda, a deck walk with Mr. H and getting close to the end of the cruise.

Hi PCCreek,

Thanks! I hope you do cruise solo. It's wonderful!

you have no idea how happy i was to see your latest post. i'm hooked. ha!

i don't know how i feel about mr. h but he sure is making for an interesting trip report!

also--please get to bermuda day 2 soon! i'm sailing on sunday and want to hear about your chef's table experience, as i'm very very seriously considering doing it (if we can get a reservation).

Hi Elbodans. It's up, sorry about the weird formatting, something going on with the message board not liking my Mac today. I hope you enjoy the Chef's Table as much as I did!

Tilly84,

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for doing this, it is very sweet and I appreciate it so much. I'm going to print it out and put it in my scrapbook. And if I ever decide to quit the rat race and just cruise forever will you be my editor?

Archived