Review of the Norwegian Star NYC to Bermuda - June 24 to July 1, 2012

TerpGirl77

He was married!

Good for you for sticking with your instincts!

Great review and thanks for answering my spa question earlier.

I'm really looking forward to our trip on the Star in October now. AND thanks to you I'm going to talk to my husband about the Chef's table as well.

Now I'm looking forward to Elbodans' trip review so I have some more good reading before October. The first one from Bermuda practically set our itinerary for our trip so we'll see what she does this time....

Elbodan's reviews look awesome and now I have reason to pay for wi-fi on the plane this evening so I can dig in to her stuff. I've already found truth on her blog in this statement:

"We don’t have many sidewalk cafes where I live in Pennsylvania. The reason why seems unclear, but I have a secret theory about it–it’s because uptight, stressed-out Northeasterners don’t have time for the simple pleasure of a wasted morning (or afternoon or evening) spent sipping a beverage and watching the world go by."

This is so humorous and SO true!

Thank you for your wonderful review and diary of your trip! I very much enjoyed reading it.

I will be on the Star next month with my two kids (20 & 15), and I am sure there will be times that I will feel like a "solo" cruiser since they will not want to spend all of their time with Mom after they meet friends. You now have me looking forward to those times!!!

I cannot wait to explore the ship and do some of the things you did. Martini tastings and such!

Trusting your instincts definitely served you well on that trip and I am glad you did. We women definitely know when something is "off" with a guy and listening to our inner voice usually sends us in the right direction.

Glad you had fun and again I thank you!!!

Great Review, thanks for sharing with us.

I've been on the Star twice, so far, and have to totally agree with you about the Creme Brulee trio .... It has to be one of my top 2 favorite desserts of ALL time.

Glad to hear that her crew are still as wonderful as I've always found them to be.

Safe Travels,

Tutu

I really, really enjoyed it all :) all the ups and downs, perfectly written. I will be doing the same cruise in August, with my husband (who is a Terp) and we're leaving the same day on Amtrak from DC, where we leave the 14 year old boys safely with their grandparents. I cringed about those kids off the ship and so far away on their own. Your instincts are bang on.

Thanks so much, Epic would be great, too bad you can't do the October trans Atlantic. I'm sailing that solo in a studio, and it sounds like we'd get along really well :)

Great review. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Married, really? I can't get my head around the fact that he is married and he introduced his teen to you. Wow! I don't know about other teens, but my teen would not have gone along with that for one minute. :confused:

Thank you for your review...most enjoyable one I've read! Have you thought about submitting it to a magazine or online travel sites - you're a great writer. Maybe one would sponsor your next trip...I know I'd be tuning in for sure.

And Mr. H - what an a$$!

What a wonderful review. I sail on the Star in 2 weeks and your review has me very excited. I was in Bermuda on the Summit last year and loved it so much I am going back! I can't believe the creep was married. Like they say what happens on Norwegin stays on Norweign. Thankfully you trusted your instincts and can laugh it off.

TerpGirl77 -- you have written the most interesting and entertaining review I have ever seen on Cruise Critic! Thank you! :)

Did you buy a Future Cruise Reward to use as the downpayment on your next cruise?

Mary,

Thank you! I didn't buy a future cruise reward though I read about the offer in the Freestyle Daily everyday and I noticed quite a few people meeting with the cruise consultant during my trip. I'm still fairly new to cruising and now that I know that I love it I'll be looking to purchase one on my next trip!

I really, really enjoyed it all :) all the ups and downs, perfectly written. I will be doing the same cruise in August, with my husband (who is a Terp) and we're leaving the same day on Amtrak from DC, where we leave the 14 year old boys safely with their grandparents. I cringed about those kids off the ship and so far away on their own. Your instincts are bang on.

Thanks so much, Epic would be great, too bad you can't do the October trans Atlantic. I'm sailing that solo in a studio, and it sounds like we'd get along really well :)

Hi SuiteCruiser,

Thanks so much. I work a few blocks from Union Station I think it's the best way to get to NYC! A few weeks ago I read a review of a transatlantic trip and now I want to do it. I hope you write a review so I can live vicariously through you. And if you are married to a Terp then I KNOW we'd get along fabulously! GO TERPS!

Thank you for your wonderful review and diary of your trip! I very much enjoyed reading it.

I will be on the Star next month with my two kids (20 & 15), and I am sure there will be times that I will feel like a "solo" cruiser since they will not want to spend all of their time with Mom after they meet friends. You now have me looking forward to those times!!!

I cannot wait to explore the ship and do some of the things you did. Martini tastings and such!

Trusting your instincts definitely served you well on that trip and I am glad you did. We women definitely know when something is "off" with a guy and listening to our inner voice usually sends us in the right direction.

Glad you had fun and again I thank you!!!

Redpatti,

I see it's your first cruise -- I hope you love the Star (and the martinis) as much as I did. In some ways I consider this my first real cruise because I got to go all out and experience everything. My first one was a three-day on Carnival and me and my two girlfriends purchased it two days before it left because we got a cash Christmas bonus and decided to do something crazy. It was a shall we say a "booze cruise" and I don't remember much. My second cruise was on RCCL for a client who chose to host their annual meeting on the ship and well, I ended up working for four days straight AND at one point sharing an inside cabin with my boss! That is a whole other type of review that I would title TORTURE on the High Seas.

Great Review, thanks for sharing with us.

I've been on the Star twice, so far, and have to totally agree with you about the Creme Brulee trio .... It has to be one of my top 2 favorite desserts of ALL time.

Glad to hear that her crew are still as wonderful as I've always found them to be.

Safe Travels,

Tutu

Tutu,

They are terrific. Do you remember the different flavors? I'm now craving Creme Brûlée...

Hi Terp and thank you for the AWESOME review.

Are you sure he was married? Maybe that was his ex-wife?

Maybe it was a kissing cousin?

That blows my mind. He was with you in front of his son.

Hi A1SusieQ,

It's funny you say that because when I returned I had to convene an emergency session of the girlfriends council so I could get their thinking especially since I'm the one in the group who is notoriously, shamefully bad at all things dating and boy-related. After being scolded about not trying to get this critical information on day one, one of my friends said exactly what you did and reminded me that I am such a drama queen when it comes to these things. At that point though I wasn't about to walk up to them and find out. :eek:

Great review. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Married, really? I can't get my head around the fact that he is married and he introduced his teen to you. Wow! I don't know about other teens, but my teen would not have gone along with that for one minute. :confused:

Hi Camz,

Thanks for your nice comment! I think he was NOT expecting them to show up and the whole thing was very awkward and I bolted out of there as fast as I could.

I can't confirm 100% he was married, but I also know I don't kiss my brother like that either. I thought about it a lot on the bus ride home and considered that maybe I had misread the situation since I admit that even though I'm 35 my dating skills are that of a teenager. At the end of the day, it still all just didn't feel right even BEFORE I saw him hop into that SUV and was actually such a small part of the entire trip that I just told myself I need to stop speculating and put it behind me.

Thank you for your review...most enjoyable one I've read! Have you thought about submitting it to a magazine or online travel sites - you're a great writer. Maybe one would sponsor your next trip...I know I'd be tuning in for sure.

And Mr. H - what an a$$!

Denlin,

That's so sweet of you to say. I wouldn't know where to start, but I guess I could figure it out if someone was paying me to go :). Happy Cruising!

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, which iphone do you have? My photos are very sharp on the 4. Do you have an older model or did you use an app for the photos you took?

Hi SunSand,

I have the iPhone 4S, but I realized today that when I emailed the photos to myself to upload on Shutterfly I chose the "small" size and that's why I think they aren't the best quality. I actually have been pleased with the camera on the iPhone and have heard it's pretty good and much more convenient than my Nikon One camera that I'm still trying to figure out. Happy cruising!

TerpGirl, this is absolutely the best, most thorough, informative and entertaining trip review I've ever read. I felt as though I were sitting right beside you through the entire journey, experiencing the sights, sounds and aromas. Your descriptive style of writing is simply delightful! Many thanks for taking us along as you relived your trip.

I'm glad you were able to catch a glimpse of Mr. H after disembarkation, and give credence to that nagging feeling you had. What an absolute cretin!

I'll be thinking of you on October 17th, when we step off the Star at the Dockyards. ;)

Archived