Allegrismo package

MissKpree

Sorry to gatecrash your post AmoMondo but have been scouring the boards for information on HOHO buses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Have booked Serenade of the Seas for Feb 2013 (MSC are not doing Dubai next year). I noticed a post from you regarding this very subject.

Don't know if you willl remember me but you kindly gave me a lot of information when we were planning an MSC cruise back in 2009/10. We had to cancel due to husband having to undergo heart surgery. This did, as we feared it would, bring him out of remission from cancer and sadly he died at the end of Oct 2011.

My son had been posted to Dubai with his job so I decided to take the cruise, firstly spending some time with the family. There is a roll call going for Serenade of the Seas 25th Feb 2013 and if you could give us any tips I know the people who have joined the Roll Call would be very appreciative.

Note you are still a very keen cruiser. I am taking my first solo trip and am a little anxious and thankfully the single supplements were not too horrific!

Good Luck with your future sailing plans.

Regards

Suron (Suzanne in Bristol, UK) :)

Hi Suron

Yes I do remember you from before. I did manage to get info on the HOHO buses. here's a link: http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/dubai/custompage.aspx?id=dubai_sightseeing_tour&gclid=

In the end I didn't use them as taxis were so cheap and safe in Dubai (no tax on fuel helps!). For example I'd planned on just getting a taxi straight to the "Walk" and then another later to Madinant, however the taxi driver said he'd drive me around a few places and wait for me. In the end he took me through te old town, on to the Palace, then for a walk on the beach at JBR, a stroll down the Walk and on to Madinant(sp?) Souk. Took around 2-2.5 hours and was just under £40.

If you get the option of a sightseeing tour in a seaplane of the city skyline, I'd take it. the one I had through Costa wasn't cheap but truly memorable for all the right reasons. It was limited to 9 people. We had a stretch limo ride to the seaplane, a 45 minute flight over Dubai and it's beaches (an amazing way to see the iconic architecture), we then landed at the Golf Club in Dubai Creek where we had refreshments, followed by another limo back through the old town to the ship.

I did the Arabian Gulf cruise on my own and had absolutely no problems. I did respect their dress code which no doubt helped, but I can honestly say I was treated with the utmost respect and courtesy wherever I went, better than in the UK that's for sure.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'm planning a return (land) trip for this winter.

Thank you so much for the information - I will pass this on to the others on the Roll Cal I had no worries about taking taxis in Dubai but on the whole these were pre-arranged through my son's company account (whether that made any difference I don't know). I do agree that the people are so friendly and helpful - I guess the penalties for law-breakers are so much more stringent. I expect I will be travelling back and forth from the UK to Dubai quite a lot in the next five years whilst my son and family are out there. They love the life and the twins have settled so well, only wish that my dear husband had been able to make the trip but at least he had read all the details of the job offer, seen the photos of the villa and knew all about the posting.

Many thanks once again for the information. We might even meet up on an MSC cruise in the future - I have a discount voucher to use up and we might take a family cruise to celebrate some milestone birthdays next year!!

Kind regards

Suzanne (Suron in Bristol)

Thanks to all that replied to my post...I have now got the allegrissimo package booked through my TA so I guess I do no have to worry about it being available to to buy on board. I was just concerned as I was finding it difficult to get through by phone to my TA as it was an internet booking..but sorted now. I am going to be sailing on the new Ship the Preziosa next June...was just wondering has any one else booked to sail on it

Geraldine

• 3 months later...

Hello, this is my first post as I just joined this morning. I am going on my first cruise in March and hope that it is to be the first of many. I have been reading threads all morning about the drink packages trying to determine if it is in my best interest and have decided it is. Before I purchase through my TA I still have a couple of questions that I would appreciate help with.

1. Is there a charge for bottled water and coffee while out to sea if you do not purchase the package?

2. My husband and I are meeting friends on the cruise. If we purchase the package and they do not, will we still be able to have meals with them?

3. If we were to purchase our beverages on ship is their a service charge to every beverage?

4. I am having an extremely difficult time getting any details about my particular cruise and would like to know which night will be the formal night. I was hoping to make an appointment at the salon/spa on that day. Is that something I will be able to do once I am on the ship? I am concerned they will be booked up.

Our cruise is 5 night sailing from Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. The reservations were made through an agency in the US.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward/appreciate any responses!!:)

Hi welcome to cruise critic

I've answered your questions below

Hello, this is my first post as I just joined this morning. I am going on my first cruise in March and hope that it is to be the first of many. I have been reading threads all morning about the drink packages trying to determine if it is in my best interest and have decided it is. Before I purchase through my TA I still have a couple of questions that I would appreciate help with.

1. Is there a charge for bottled water and coffee while out to sea if you do not purchase the package?

Bottled water costs extra if you don't have an AI package. Chilled tap water is readily available and free. Coffee is free as well except cappuccinos, espressos, lattes and that sort all cost extra

2. My husband and I are meeting friends on the cruise. If we purchase the package and they do not, will we still be able to have meals with them?

officially not, but on my last cruise we had 7 at our table, 5 had the AI 2 didn't but we were not travelling together. Don't know how strict they are at keeping to their rules

3. If we were to purchase our beverages on ship is their a service charge to every beverage?

Yes 15% is added on to all drinks purchased

4. I am having an extremely difficult time getting any details about my particular cruise and would like to know which night will be the formal night. I was hoping to make an appointment at the salon/spa on that day. Is that something I will be able to do once I am on the ship? I am concerned they will be booked up.

You can't prebook spa or salon treatments before you get onboard. Just do what I do and head to the spa as soon as you get onboard to sort out your appointments. I always get suitable times that way.

Our cruise is 5 night sailing from Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. The reservations were made through an agency in the US.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward/appreciate any responses!!:)

When I board, will I be aware of what day will be the formal night? Also, I read that after sunset their are strict dress codes. Will my husband need to be in pants or jeans?

Your husband will need to have pants in the evening. Jeans are not allowed in the Main Dining Room (MDR) at night.

Because your cruise is the 5 night and not the traditional 7, I'm not sure which night will be the formal night. Likely the second and for sure not the 1st which will allow people to settle in and unpack.

Good choice in joining us at Cruisecritic, ask lots of questions and you will learn lots. Don't forget there is a search tab in each thread.

Welcome!!

When I board, will I be aware of what day will be the formal night? Also, I read that after sunset their are strict dress codes. Will my husband need to be in pants or jeans?

Best place to find out which night the formal nightnwill be is to ask at the hairdressing salon - they always have this info for people wanting to make appointments. Otherwise you just find out the night geodes when you receive the Daily Programme for the next night.

Its funny that you suggest that. The reason I want to know in advance is so I can make an appointment at the salon, haha. I have also been told to call my bank and let them know that I will be using my card internationally and I think that is great advice. However, that got me thinking will I be able to use my check card everywhere or will I need to exchange money somewhere. Also, does anyone have advice on using travelers checks or should I stick to my check card?

Thanks very much! I guess that gives me a reason to shop, hehe. I noticed you are sailing the Poesia for the second time next month. Should I assume that you had a good experience the first time?

Yes, we enjoyed ourselves enough to book again. I am easy to please though as I am a BBBB person while on holiday. Bed, balcony, book and beer ;).

There were lots of people complaining about the food but we stuck with the MDR and made out OK. Go with an open mind, try new stuff, if you don't like it, try other new stuff.

MSC is cheaper than many of the other lines. I don't go expecting the Ritz when I booked a Holiday Inn.

Credit cards will be fine, no need for travelers checks.

Its funny that you suggest that. The reason I want to know in advance is so I can make an appointment at the salon, haha. I have also been told to call my bank and let them know that I will be using my card internationally and I think that is great advice. However, that got me thinking will I be able to use my check card everywhere or will I need to exchange money somewhere. Also, does anyone have advice on using travelers checks or should I stick to my check card?

If by check card you mean a debit card, then you won't be able to use that onboard. MSC only accept credit cards. Travellers cheques are a complete waste of time in my opinion. Were a useful means of payment years ago but are on the decline now.

Archived