santorini

markf

"We'd heard of a boat from the jetty to Oia but there was no sign of any local boats when we got to the jetty about 08.30. But we met others who'd tendered later & took a boat - their round-trip trip cost €20 for a boat ride to Oia, a coach from the Oia jetty up to the town, an hour or two free time in Oia & a coach to Fira. They then had to make their own way down the path or cablecar from Fira town to jetty. They were well-pleased with their day."

We did this in early July and it worked out well for us. Ship was scheduled from 2pm - 10pm and we did not reach island via tender till 3:30pm and cable car line going up was long so we changed our plans and took the 20 euro boat ride to Oia. Spent 2 hours there and then bus ride (as part of 20 euro ticket) back to Fira. By the time we jumped on cable car going down it was around 8:30pm and a short line. We took the last tender back to the ship at 9:15pm.

Was the bus ride back to Fira on a public bus and was it crowded. I have read other posts that said it was very crowded and some people had to stand up.

I think we will end up taking the ships excursion and get dropped off at the other docks, then see the winery and around the island and then dropped off at Fira and walk around and then take the cable car down. The cable car is included in the price of the excursion. OUr ship get there around 8 am.

Was the bus ride back to Fira on a public bus and was it crowded. I have read other posts that said it was very crowded and some people had to stand up.

I think we will end up taking the ships excursion and get dropped off at the other docks, then see the winery and around the island and then dropped off at Fira and walk around and then take the cable car down. The cable car is included in the price of the excursion. Our ship get there around 8 am.

Bus was private and they did not allow anyone to stand. Cable car going down was only 4 euro each. Make sure any excursion includes some time in Oia and not just Fira. We never do ship excursions as they are way overpriced and with some planning you can do most stops on your own if you are flexible. Again, we arrived on Santorini with a plan of taking the cable car up and then public bus to Oia and back to Fira, but once we saw the long line for cable car going up, the ferry boat option to Amound Bay and up to Oia and then back to Fira it was a no brainer. I will add the one advantage of a ship excursion to Santorini is you will be one of the first off the ship and on the island. Good luck with your trip.

If the ship I am on will be the only ship in Santorini that day, will there be a better chance of the tender delivering us to the place with the road? I'll be on RCI Grandeur of the Seas which is a (relatively) small ship.

Is there any way to meet a private tour other than taking the cable car? I'd hate to lose such valuable time waiting for a cable car. What do the ship's tours do to get the people to the coaches?

If the ship I am on will be the only ship in Santorini that day, will there be a better chance of the tender delivering us to the place with the road? I'll be on RCI Grandeur of the Seas which is a (relatively) small ship.

Is there any way to meet a private tour other than taking the cable car? I'd hate to lose such valuable time waiting for a cable car. What do the ship's tours do to get the people to the coaches?

Not 100% sure but it looked to me that they use one dock to drop ship excursions passengers off who then are taken in buses up to top of island for their selected tour. This was the first group that was let off and then our ship then slowly moved towards the dock below Fira where cable cars are located and tendering process for non-ship excursion passengers began. Any private tour is going to start at the top of the island in Fira so it's cable car, donkey (really Mules) or walk up. Just looked at video I shot and there are 6 cable cars that carry 6 passengers in each car so 36 people move up and down on the 2 minute trip each way. That should help you gauge how long the line really is.

Do you remember who it was that you took the boat trip to Oia? Did you make arrangements ahead of time or when you got off the tender. It sure looks like a nice way to see Santorini without the hassle of the local bus.

Thanks

We will be there on 1/9 on HAL ship Nieuw Amsterdam & I am trying to arrange a boat/coach trip...the name of the boat company is Dakoutros bros...look them up online! They do not reply very quickly though!:eek:

John Bull, we are going on the Crown Princess in a few weeks and will be experiencing a tender for the first time. Is there only one tender per ship? How many people on a tender? How long does it take to get ashore? Thank you for your post. Any other info you can give about this cruise is most welcome.

"We'd heard of a boat from the jetty to Oia but there was no sign of any local boats when we got to the jetty about 08.30. But we met others who'd tendered later & took a boat - their round-trip trip cost €20 for a boat ride to Oia, a coach from the Oia jetty up to the town, an hour or two free time in Oia & a coach to Fira. They then had to make their own way down the path or cablecar from Fira town to jetty. They were well-pleased with their day."

We did this in early July and it worked out well for us. Ship was scheduled from 2pm - 10pm and we did not reach island via tender till 3:30pm and cable car line going up was long so we changed our plans and took the 20 euro boat ride to Oia. Spent 2 hours there and then bus ride (as part of 20 euro ticket) back to Fira. By the time we jumped on cable car going down it was around 8:30pm and a short line. We took the last tender back to the ship at 9:15pm.

hi there, can you pre-book the ferry if there is only 2 of you or is it best to just turn up?

thanks

I'm really interested in the boat ride to Oia/bus to Fira as well. Did they have a sign on the dock in Fira offering the ride and was there a fixed schedule or did they just run back and forth to Oia?

I'm really interested in the boat ride to Oia/bus to Fira as well. Did they have a sign on the dock in Fira offering the ride and was there a fixed schedule or did they just run back and forth to Oia?

I've just heard back from Dakoutros Bros who run the boat trip to Oia that, as from 1August, new regulations mean they now can not return passengers by coach to Fira, but have to return from Oia in the boat. This means if you also want to go up to the town of Fira you will have to take your chances with the cable car or donkeys both ways! I'm worried about queuing, & then missing the ship!:eek:

I've just heard back from Dakoutros Bros who run the boat trip to Oia that, as from 1August, new regulations mean they now can not return passengers by coach to Fira, but have to return from Oia in the boat. This means if you also want to go up to the town of Fira you will have to take your chances with the cable car or donkeys both ways! I'm worried about queuing, & then missing the ship!:eek:

I just spoke with them, and they also stated they only allow for 90 minutes in Oia. Whole trip only about 3 hours and you need minimum of 15 people.

Yep looks like cable car and taxi.

That's too bad...do they still run the bus from the Oia pier up to Oia? That's a long walk as well.

So, what's the cost for the "new", two-way trip? And, do they just wait until they have the minimum number of people?

Does anyone know about the Oia to Fira bus: Can you get off in, say Imergolia [sp?] or the other little town north of Fira and walk back to Fira? That is, does the bus stop in the little towns along the way back from Oia to Fira?

We were on the Regatta just two weeks ago and we really didn't tender near the road - we were just there to let the people who were on the ship's excursions get off. We then moved closer to where the two other ships in port were - near where the cable cars/donkey's were.

Yes, the public busses were very crowded and you may have to fight your way on. We got a seat going to Oia but had to stand coming back.

Michelle

Our scheduled cruise changed the time we will be in Santorini -currently we arrive at 2Pm and depart at 10 Pm with a tender.

Any suggestions??

Where do we actually land--what area of Santorini??

This is the view of tender heading towards area where they drop you off. Cable car building is on far left and you can see the donkey/walking path zig-zaging right of the cable cars.

493377208_IMG_6042reduced.jpg.7539a929d7994831e17bf4502be6a49c.jpg

So, what's the cost for the "new", two-way trip? And, do they just wait until they have the minimum number of people?

Does anyone know about the Oia to Fira bus: Can you get off in, say Imergolia [sp?] or the other little town north of Fira and walk back to Fira? That is, does the bus stop in the little towns along the way back from Oia to Fira?

Dakoutros boat trip to Oia & back is 20€... Same as it was when they took you to Fira town by coach after Oia. They told me they can't do that coach bit now, due to new regulations! Probably cos the port then miss out on a 1way cable car ride ticket revenue!?:cool:

I've read on other posts that the buses from Oia can be crowded & irregular. I'd hate to miss the ship! But perhaps that's to stop us doing our own trips..cruise lines would prefer we all went on their organised tours, wouldn't they?:eek:

We used NST tours and Travel too in May. Our driver was Tomas. he is wonderful!! The cable cars were not running that day due to the wind and he was waiting for us at the top where the donkeys were!!! We were so worried cause we could not get up top on time! The donkeys were $5Eu that day.

They were fine! Cable cars working when we went down later on.

We went to Arkotiri and then on to Oia and had a wonderful day! Tomas is a fabulous guide! We also met Tassos and he seemed great, too!

Enjoy,

Sherry & Kimber

Archived