santorini

markf

Our scheduled cruise changed the time we will be in Santorini -currently we arrive at 2Pm and depart at 10 Pm with a tender.

Any suggestions??

Where do we actually land--what area of Santorini??

Just as Paul said, all cruise ships tender passengers to a place under the cliffs. Fira is on top of the cliff, where you can reach by walking, riding a donkey, or riding a cable car. I will recommend the cable car. From Fira you can go to Oia (where all those beautiful pictures of white houses with blue domes were taken) by bus or by car.

I shoul probably have aded, that by mid afternoon the trip by foot or donkey may not be pleasant. As the day goes by the donkeys leave little reminders on the path. You need to step carefully and hold your breath which is difficult for the long trip up. The donkeys and people walking use the same path.

We were in Santorini 2 months ago and they did not take us to the area with the donkeys and cable car. It was on the other side where there is a road. On the way back we did leave from that area. Strongly suggest you check with the cruise line so you know exactly where the tenders will be letting people off.

We were in Santorini 2 months ago and they did not take us to the area with the donkeys and cable car. It was on the other side where there is a road. On the way back we did leave from that area. Strongly suggest you check with the cruise line so you know exactly where the tenders will be letting people off.

We you on a ship's excursion? Often people on these are dropped at Athinios Port.

Do you know how much it costs to take the donkey's up versus a cable car?

We were there just this May. The cost for the cable car is 4Euro and they want 10Euro for the donkey ride. I've heard that the donkey ride was only 5Euro before but there were several ships that day that they doubled the price.

Has anyone out there had any experience with Toursbylocals.com in Santorini?

We will visit there on September 20. I understand that travel on local buses can be hectic, especially in late afternoon when passengers are trying to get back to cruise ships.

Actually travel on local bus is quite easy. Take the bus to Oia first then back to Fira and walk around the town until you're ready to leave. Depending on how many ships are in town leaving the same time as you are, allow at least 1 hour before the ship leaves to take the cable car down to the pier.

If you are not on a tour, they will tender you right by the cable car/donkeys. At 2 pm, the cable care will be really busy. We arrived in Santorini very eary and there was not line at the cable care and we still look a donkey for the "experience". The donkey was 5 euro a person. We walked down around 5 pm. Yes there was donkey excrement but not as much as people say. We didn't step in anything. :) Once we arrived at the top, we easily found a place to rent an ATV. I think it was 30 eruo. We took the atv to Oia, then to Kamaria Beach and swam. Afterward, we rode the atv all over the island (my husband wanted to see all of it). Then back to Fira to roam around the city. I heard watching the sunset in Oia is nice. We had a mythos at Franco's bar (in Fira) which has a gorgeous view! I heard the buses were easy to use by another cruiser, too)

We had those exact port times in Santorini this May. We rode the cable car up; at that time I think it was 4 EU one way and the donkeys about the same.

We decided to join a private tour that was set up on our roll call because of the late departure and uneasiness about being able to find taxis/buses back to Fira later in the evening.

This worked out well. We had 16 people on a comfortable small bus, about 20Eu pp. They met us in Fira, drove us first to the Akrotiri archaeological site, then to a winery with some small stops along the way mostly for pictures. Then drove us to Oia, where we had 2+ hours to tour on our own, then back to Fira with a stop along the way to watch the sunset. We got to Fira about 8:30 and were back on the ship a little after nine.

The driver was not a guide, just a driver, but he was good and did give quite a bit of commentary along the way. It made for an easy and stress-free day, since we had no worries about finding transportation back to Fira.

ekgoodman, what were the ATV's like? Did you ride with your husband? Sounds like something my husband would love but I wouldn't want to drive my own I don't think. How long did it take you to drive from Fira to Oia on the ATV?

Thanks for the recommendation on Frank's bar. I've been trying to find a good restaurant/place to watch the sunset in Fira... like on top of a hill.. to be the highest we can be on the mountain. Any other suggestions?

ekgoodman, what were the ATV's like? Did you ride with your husband? Sounds like something my husband would love but I wouldn't want to drive my own I don't think. How long did it take you to drive from Fira to Oia on the ATV?

Thanks for the recommendation on Frank's bar. I've been trying to find a good restaurant/place to watch the sunset in Fira... like on top of a hill.. to be the highest we can be on the mountain. Any other suggestions?

I rode with my husband. It was fun. We got one of the slower cc's (cheaper) and it took about 30 minutes because you are going up and they are not as fast going up. We were told to get gas also. I felt it was quicker getting back. I would definitely say just get one. :)

We had those exact port times in Santorini this May. We rode the cable car up; at that time I think it was 4 EU one way and the donkeys about the same.

We decided to join a private tour that was set up on our roll call because of the late departure and uneasiness about being able to find taxis/buses back to Fira later in the evening.

This worked out well. We had 16 people on a comfortable small bus, about 20Eu pp. They met us in Fira, drove us first to the Akrotiri archaeological site, then to a winery with some small stops along the way mostly for pictures. Then drove us to Oia, where we had 2+ hours to tour on our own, then back to Fira with a stop along the way to watch the sunset. We got to Fira about 8:30 and were back on the ship a little after nine.

The driver was not a guide, just a driver, but he was good and did give quite a bit of commentary along the way. It made for an easy and stress-free day, since we had no worries about finding transportation back to Fira.

We will be visiting Santorini this September on a cruise. Your tour sounds great. Which private tour company did your group use?

Thanks.....Joan

We will be visiting Santorini this September on a cruise. Your tour sounds great. Which private tour company did your group use?

Thanks.....Joan

The company was NST Travel, the owner Tassos. I think we had 16 people, although one (my husband, unfortunately) was unable to go because of illness. Cost was 300Eu, which was divided equally, plus tip for the driver.

Although I offered, the others did not want me to pay for my husband's share, so it was $20 Eu each.

It also cost, at that time 4 eu for the cable car, each way, and I think 5 eu for the entrance fee for Akrotiri.

I'm not sure Akrotiri was worth it as at that time there were no guides there and little signage. We also didn't tour the winery, that was our choice. NST is very flexible and will do what you want to do, within time limits.

There's a very good museum in Fira town, near the Orthodox Cathedral, which contains many finds from the Akrotiri site, including some amazing wall paintings. 3,500 years old - they made me shiver...

There's a very good museum in Fira town, near the Orthodox Cathedral, which contains many finds from the Akrotiri site, including some amazing wall paintings. 3,500 years old - they made me shiver...

I wish we'd stopped there then. The Akrotiri site is intereting, but mostly a vast jumble of mud brick walls and a few pots left in situ, with no explanations.

I did see some of the articles from Akrotiri in the Athens museum, I think. The wall paintings are spectacular.

Just back (Crown Princess).

We and a Celebrity ship tendered to the jetty at the bottom of the cablecar, Oceana's Regatta tendered to a different place - as other posts, that place had a road to the harbour (?Athinios?).

Donkeys (they're actually MULES) were €5 & a great laugh. They looked fit & well cared-for, & passengers were size-matched. I didn't see any sereiously overweight pax on the donkeys. No unaccompanied kids, they ride with parent or parent walks with the donkey - which can't be a lot of fun.

Cablecar was €4.

We'd heard of a boat from the jetty to Oia but there was no sign of any local boats when we got to the jetty about 08.30. But we met others who'd tendered later & took a boat - their round-trip trip cost €20 for a boat ride to Oia, a coach from the Oia jetty up to the town, an hour or two free time in Oia & a coach to Fira. They then had to make their own way down the path or cablecar from Fira town to jetty. They were well-pleased with their day.

Line for the cablecar back down was about 45 mins, I guess it varies a lot. The walk down was about 25 mins, no great problem minding where you step, its pretty wide. Not sure I'd want to do it in wet weather, the stone steps are a little slippery even in the dry

There are stax of ATVs (quadbikes) in Fira - I cussed that I'd not taken my drivers licence ashore. Don't know the cost, but looked like fun.

JB :)

"We'd heard of a boat from the jetty to Oia but there was no sign of any local boats when we got to the jetty about 08.30. But we met others who'd tendered later & took a boat - their round-trip trip cost €20 for a boat ride to Oia, a coach from the Oia jetty up to the town, an hour or two free time in Oia & a coach to Fira. They then had to make their own way down the path or cablecar from Fira town to jetty. They were well-pleased with their day."

We did this in early July and it worked out well for us. Ship was scheduled from 2pm - 10pm and we did not reach island via tender till 3:30pm and cable car line going up was long so we changed our plans and took the 20 euro boat ride to Oia. Spent 2 hours there and then bus ride (as part of 20 euro ticket) back to Fira. By the time we jumped on cable car going down it was around 8:30pm and a short line. We took the last tender back to the ship at 9:15pm.

Do you remember who it was that you took the boat trip to Oia? Did you make arrangements ahead of time or when you got off the tender. It sure looks like a nice way to see Santorini without the hassle of the local bus.

Thanks

Do you remember who it was that you took the boat trip to Oia? Did you make arrangements ahead of time or when you got off the tender. It sure looks like a nice way to see Santorini without the hassle of the local bus.

Thanks

Don't remember the name but there were 2 different boat companies making the same run......one in a Pirate ship and one in a small commuter ferry that we took. They are right there when you get off the tender, easy to spot. It was a last minute change of plans when we calculated how long it would take to get up via the long cable car line and then make our way over ot Oia versus spending a few extra euro and taking the ferry/bus ride back option. The best part for us was getting to see Amoudi Bay up close and shooting a few photos before they took us up to Oia. Well worth the 20 euro each.

Archived