Park West Auctions

MomofBoyz

Personally what I find funnier than the art auctions is people loading up on Tanzanite.

If you like the look of it, great!!

But my god the number of people I hear on carnival buying it because "it's rare" or "running out" just kill me.

I was wondering when someone would bring up the notion of "rare" Tanzanite

- so rare there's simply buckets of the stuff on every ship you cruise on!

But the truth is people fall for all sorts of Marketing Bull.

Look at diamonds. Carbon. Most common element on the planet. Whooppee!

Oh but diamonds are carbon-in-its-purest-form. Whooppee!

Suckers with excess cash I say.

Yes, you go riiight ahead and buy, Honey!! :D

It really makes me sad to see the people taken in by the art auctions. If you want a good piece of art priced quite reasonably, go to your local art galleries or art shows! My sister in law is one taken every time by the art auction and their "exclusive" sales. She thinks she's making an investment, I've never even seen her hang any of the art in her home.

She also buys tanzanite for an investment.

I buy art to enjoy it, not for an investment. I've bought from a gallery in my city and also on both Princess and CCL. I buy what I wish to enjoy in my home. I only buy certain artists work that I personally find enjoyable. Art is such a personal choice. If you like the auctions you should go and if not don't go.

I think the auctions are fun, and the free champagne is great. I've never bought, but I guess I could see myself doing it eventually - sometimes when they get 3-4 pieces of art out, for something like $150-250, it would definitely be worth it of you like the art. :)

We did exactly this on our honeymoon cruise last fall. They brought out a 5 piece set by Alexander Chen. We paid $250 for the lot, and we were extremely pleased. They are hanging on the wall of our living room now and we love them!

To the poster who claimed that you have to give out your credit info to get in is 100% dead wrong. We didn't give any credit info and the purchase was billed to our S&S. It's free to get in. The champagne was free. And there was no requirement to buy. A couple we sat next to bid and won on one piece and they changed their mind and were able to cancel at no penalty.

BJ is not that bad if you know basic strategy.

i don't even play bj anymore on a ship. i lose everytime. i don't know why...i haven't figured out but the only connection i can make is that they constantly feed the cards back in...instead of going through the entire shoe of cards...i think this somehow jacks around with odds or something...i don't know...i just refuse to play any cruise or land based bj games that practice this.

i usually play hold em, but i just learned craps, so i'm sure i'll be giving away some money there too lol...but i do okay with the poker...probably stick with the hold em lol.

i don't even play bj anymore on a ship. i lose everytime. i don't know why...i haven't figured out but the only connection i can make is that they constantly feed the cards back in...instead of going through the entire shoe of cards...i think this somehow jacks around with odds or something...i don't know...i just refuse to play any cruise or land based bj games that practice this.

i usually play hold em, but i just learned craps, so i'm sure i'll be giving away some money there too lol...but i do okay with the poker...probably stick with the hold em lol.

My kids play craps and usually do well. Me I just cant figure out how to play so just watch them when we cruise togeether.

When we attended the auction we did in fact have to "register" before we could get a number to bid with and enter for the champagne and free "artwork" and so forth.

Registering included our Sign and Sail information and a secondary credit card. I remember it clearly because my husband and I wondered why a second card would be needed since our S and S account had current information.

We also remarked on it because the line was held up to get in while the Park West employees registered everyone and took their info. We had expected to walk in and look around but there was a queue.

So, while it was on RCCl and a few years ago, my information on the original post was accurate.

This might be different now but at the time, you had to register with full info before entering.

Read the second "Cruise Confidential" - it's the true memoir of an art auctioneer on the Conquest and Ectasy. It's by Brian Bruns and is called "Ship For Brains"

I read this when it first came out, and it really opened my eyes to how these art auctions work. Have never attended one (maybe if they something besides champagne - hate the stuff!!) and probably never will, unless it is to "spectate," after reading that book!

Not sure how true his books are but found the first one hilarious and keep meaning to get the second from my library.

I'm sure certain things are a bit of a "stretch", but it still makes good vacation reading!

I have been to a few Park West art auctions. I have purchased three pieces and have received two pieces free.

There was no pressure. It was an auction. Bid or don’t bid.

I have been to other types of auctions before. All of which you had to register for in order to bid. Some required a refundable deposit.

An art auction is like a cruise it is what you make of it.

• 7 months later...

Did a B2B on the Breeze in January. We loved the art auctions. David, the auctioneer was funny & informative. I am definitely a novice when it comes to art, but I learned a lot, was entertained & drank free champagne (tasted fine, I've had worse), got some free prints, and most of all was inspired to learn more about art/artists. Yes, we bought a few things, which just arrived yesterday, I love them & I can't wait to frame them, enjoy them & remember the great time we had on that beautiful ship.

There were also many repeat customers at the auctions, so go & judge for yourself. You only have to get a bid card if you think you might bid. And there are several mini informative lectures throughout the cruise that you don't need to register for & you still get free champagne.

I have heard stories ranging from one end of the spectrum to the other, horrible to wonderful. We went to a couple of these auctions in the past and don't have any personal experience as we were just too leary based on the bad reviews we got first-hand from buyers we met. It IS tempting though as some of the artwork is really quite nice. I think we'll continue to remain observers though, and not buyers, in the future.

When we attended the auction we did in fact have to "register" before we could get a number to bid with and enter for the champagne and free "artwork" and so forth.

Registering included our Sign and Sail information and a secondary credit card. I remember it clearly because my husband and I wondered why a second card would be needed since our S and S account had current information.

We also remarked on it because the line was held up to get in while the Park West employees registered everyone and took their info. We had expected to walk in and look around but there was a queue.

So, while it was on RCCl and a few years ago, my information on the original post was accurate.

This might be different now but at the time, you had to register with full info before entering.

My son and I walked into one on the Elation in September.

There was no one at the table, so we just walked in and sat down.

A girl came by with the cheap champagne and acted ugly.

You would have thought we were spitting or the floor or shoplifting or something.

Very bad customer relations.

I was not about to buy any of their crap, but it makes Carnival look bad.

(He only wanted to go in because some cute girl that worked there had flirted with him and told him that he should come)

The so called art, the fake watches and that fake chain by the inch all make Carnival look bad.

It is all a con and Carnival is in on it...

Archived