Clothing for September?

kenmii

Hi There-

We will be in Alaska late August to early SEptember. I understand to layer on tops etc... and we plan to purchase rain pants. My question is what type of pants we should bring? I am thinking leggings should we need to slip the rain pants over, or even jeans. But will it be cold? How do I layer pants? Silly question, I know.... but in CA, I don't have this problem :confused:

Also, water proof or water resistant rain pants?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Lightweight waterproof rain pants. I've been wearing jeans for the last 20 plus years that I have lived in Alaska. They work for me. If you need an extra layer that's what your rain pants are for. It won't be cold enough for long underwear. But then again if you're old and frail you might need those longjohns.

Unless you plan to spend a lot of time on deck while underway (on the ship) the only time you will need anything 'extra' in my opinion will be the day your ship goes into the area where you will view glaciers. Otherwise I think jeans will be sufficient.

Have a great cruise! September is our favorite time of year to cruise to AK.

The answer is you never know.

We were there last year in late August and had more rain and our water proof rain pants really came in handy in port as well because it rained each day. Another time we were there around the same time frame and didn't need them. Bring them with you to be on the safe side. Also bring two pairs of shoes that can be used to walk in so if one is a little wet you can change in the afternoon to another if you go back out.

Keith

Hi There-

We will be in Alaska late August to early SEptember. I understand to layer on tops etc... and we plan to purchase rain pants. My question is what type of pants we should bring? I am thinking leggings should we need to slip the rain pants over, or even jeans. But will it be cold? How do I layer pants? Silly question, I know.... but in CA, I don't have this problem :confused:

Also, water proof or water resistant rain pants?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!!!

We also are going to be in Alaska late August but thru mid-September. Our Whale watch Captain that we booked with in Juneau has told me they are having record breaking cold weather (May, June and still in July). He said he feels like an idiot, but is already wearing long johns when he is on the water. So, pack a set, they do not take up much room!

:D

You can get some very inexpensive rain pants at stores that sell gear for outdoor folks, especially those who fish.

So far this has been a very wet year.

Penny is correct.

If you have an REI look there. Or even a Dick's Sporting Goods store. Or some kind of outdoor store.

If you ever want to pick up outdoor clothing for the future (not for this cruise but for some other trip) very close to the pier in Ketchikan there is a store called Tongass Dock Store. The downstairs is just junk type of tourist items but walk upstairs and you will find a wide arrange of outdoor clothing and other items. No REI, Dick’s Sporting Good, etc. carries the type of outdoor clothing they carry for cool to very cold weather. So many great brands to choose from.

Keith

Penny is correct.

If you have an REI look there. Or even a Dick's Sporting Goods store. Or some kind of outdoor store.

If you ever want to pick up outdoor clothing for the future (not for this cruise but for some other trip) very close to the pier in Ketchikan there is a store called Tongass Dock Store. The downstairs is just junk type of tourist items but walk upstairs and you will find a wide arrange of outdoor clothing and other items. No REI, Dick’s Sporting Good, etc. carries the type of outdoor clothing they carry for cool to very cold weather. So many great brands to choose from.

Keith

Ketchikan is our first stop. I might wait to get my rain pants there. Thanks for the idea!:)

Ketchikan is our first stop. I might wait to get my rain pants there. Thanks for the idea!:)

Perfect. Again the clothing area is upstairs so don't judge the store based on downstairs.

It has an unbelievable array of outdoor clothing for men and for women including jackets, pants, shoes, shirts and so many brands to choose from. We actually went back there twice on the day we were in port.

Keith

So far in my life, have owned and given away 3 pairs of rain pants, all rarely ever worn. Bought one pair (cheap vinyl) in college because had to bike in rainy Eugene, OR. Never used them after college, so finally gave them away.

2nd & 3rd pair, H & I bought when we went to Kauai for a one-week golfing vacation & figured if we bought breathable rainsuits, it would stop raining OR we could stay dry anyway. Sure enough, it stopped raining shortly after we paid.

We ended up giving away our rain suits many years later when H & I bought them with us to SF & they were used to by H & BIL to install snow chains in Lake Tahoe. We gave them to BIL & SIL, since they could keep them with the snow chains.

We're thinking that we probably won't bother purchasing rain pants as we have waterproof jackets and have a half covered balcony & layers of thermals we could wear. I also have wind pants with pockets that I COULD spray & may do so. Will see if H wants to spray any pants as well.

If it's pouring rain, we may not do a lot of excursions, but we'll have to wait & see. Have read of more folks who didn't use rain/wind pants than those who did so far & feel we would probably be folks who won't use them.

So far in my life, have owned and given away 3 pairs of rain pants, all rarely ever worn. Bought one pair (cheap vinyl) in college because had to bike in rainy Eugene, OR. Never used them after college, so finally gave them away.

2nd & 3rd pair, H & I bought when we went to Kauai for a one-week golfing vacation & figured if we bought breathable rainsuits, it would stop raining OR we could stay dry anyway. Sure enough, it stopped raining shortly after we paid.

We ended up giving away our rain suits many years later when H & I bought them with us to SF & they were used to by H & BIL to install snow chains in Lake Tahoe. We gave them to BIL & SIL, since they could keep them with the snow chains.

We're thinking that we probably won't bother purchasing rain pants as we have waterproof jackets and have a half covered balcony & layers of thermals we could wear. I also have wind pants with pockets that I COULD spray & may do so. Will see if H wants to spray any pants as well.

If it's pouring rain, we may not do a lot of excursions, but we'll have to wait & see. Have read of more folks who didn't use rain/wind pants than those who did so far & feel we would probably be folks who won't use them.

Thankfully since I lived in Northern WA for a while I already have a nice rain jacket so I'm good there. I do need to clean it. It's been in the back of the closet since we moved to Oahu and it's a bit mildewy. I'm more worried about being cold. We got some decent waterproof hiking shoes on sale through Zappos. Some hats, gloves and warm socks and I hope to be ok.

I HATE being cold because it generally causes me to break out in hives. I layer to avoid this problem. Have bought thin inexpensive polypropoline (?) thermals to wear against my skin & heavier icebreaker woolen thermals to wear over that (IF the weather is going to go below 50 & I'm going to be out in it for an extended period. On top of that, I will wear regular clothing and often a fleece vest and a 3 season water resistant jacket. These will generally get me through temps as low as 30 degrees, so I should be OK.

H has agreed that it would be good for me to find him some nylon or vinyl pants in case it is raining hard & we may be out in it. Will try to find something inexpensive around here & keep the receipt in case it isn't needed.

You not going to be walking around all day in rain pants, if you purchase a pair for your cruise then they are likely going to be inexpensive and won't breath. So wear what ever you want in terms of underwear and then jeans or cotton pants.

Thanks all.. i was more worried about how cold it will be. But we'll take thermals just in case!

However, will we know how cold it will be when we arrive, or is it colder on the boat for whale watching?

Thanks all.. i was more worried about how cold it will be. But we'll take thermals just in case!

However, will we know how cold it will be when we arrive, or is it colder on the boat for whale watching?

Seriously, it doesn't even start to get cold up until early October. Long after the tourists and cruise ships have left. You all worry too much about it. Just bring a hooded sweat shirt and a lightweight/breathable rain suit and you'll be fine. Really old people should probably bring gloves.

Seriously, it doesn't even start to get cold up until early October. Long after the tourists and cruise ships have left. You all worry too much about it. Just bring a hooded sweat shirt and a lightweight/breathable rain suit and you'll be fine. Really old people should probably bring gloves.

Cold is relative. I tend to be cold all the time anyway, often wearing a sweater or sweatshirt at work during the summer because the air conditioner is too cold for me, and it's set to 74 deg F. Since you live there, you're acclimated to the temperatures. For some of us, the cooler temp will be a shock. Last week we had a whole week of 108 degree F temps. This week is much cooler, around 98. We're sailing the 1st week of Sept (temps here will be around 100 then) and I guarantee, for me, even 60 deg weather is going to be a shock to my system.

I'm taking my North Face triclimate jacket.

http://www.stbernardsports.com/products2.cfm/ID/23195/NAME/North-Face-Womens-Boundary-Triclimate-Jacket

Maybe I'll only use the fleece. Maybe I'll only use the light weight waterproof outer shell. Maybe I won't wear either. That's ok. I plan on spending as much time as possible outside on our balcony, rain or shine, especially in Glacier Bay and when we take a jet boat in to Tracy Arm. I'd rather be prepared then freeze my booty off all day or be forced inside from cold. and BTW I don't think at 42 I fall in the "really old" category. Some people are just more sensitive to cold then others regardless of age. DH and I constantly fight over the temp settings - he's too hot and I'm too cold - and this battle has raged since we met when I was 16 years old and he was 18. That's a very common battle in many marriages. It has to do with metabolism, not age.

Cold is relative. I tend to be cold all the time anyway, often wearing a sweater or sweatshirt at work during the summer because the air conditioner is too cold for me, and it's set to 74 deg F. Since you live there, you're acclimated to the temperatures. For some of us, the cooler temp will be a shock. Last week we had a whole week of 108 degree F temps. This week is much cooler, around 98. We're sailing the 1st week of Sept (temps here will be around 100 then) and I guarantee, for me, even 60 deg weather is going to be a shock to my system.

I'm taking my North Face triclimate jacket.

http://www.stbernardsports.com/products2.cfm/ID/23195/NAME/North-Face-Womens-Boundary-Triclimate-Jacket

Maybe I'll only use the fleece. Maybe I'll only use the light weight waterproof outer shell. Maybe I won't wear either. That's ok. I plan on spending as much time as possible outside on our balcony, rain or shine, especially in Glacier Bay and when we take a jet boat in to Tracy Arm. I'd rather be prepared then freeze my booty off all day or be forced inside from cold. and BTW I don't think at 42 I fall in the "really old" category. Some people are just more sensitive to cold then others regardless of age. DH and I constantly fight over the temp settings - he's too hot and I'm too cold - and this battle has raged since we met when I was 16 years old and he was 18. That's a very common battle in many marriages. It has to do with metabolism, not age.

To help you acclimate quicker I'd suggest a diet higher in protien and fats while you are here. I'd also suggest fighting the urge to "bundle up" the first time you feel chilled. Let you body adjust and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll acclimate to the climate.

To help you acclimate quicker I'd suggest a diet higher in protien and fats while you are here. I'd also suggest fighting the urge to "bundle up" the first time you feel chilled. Let you body adjust and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll acclimate to the climate.

Or just take my jacket and not worry about it lol I'm only there for a few days before I come back to the heat so I'm more concerned about being comfortable while I'm there than trying to acclimate.

Archived