Buenos Aires cruise port

mare s.

I've read a lot here about the taxi situation at the cruise port. I've received a quote of $64 US for a transfer from port to AEP by private limo service. (that seems pretty expensive) I sent email to Manuel Tienda Leon to see their price and they responded that they don't do transfers from port to AEP. So does that mean I'm stuck with the port taxis? Is that such a bad thing? Also, is there any other way to get into the city (since we have overnights in Buenos Aires, we're thinking about taking a walking tour, but it meets in the city, not at the port) if the cruiseline doesn't offer a shuttle. I can see that the back and forth to the city using taxis or a remis might be quite expensive.

The large shopping centers offer free shuttle rides from the port to the centers which are in Recoleta (Patio Bullrich) and Retiro ( Galleria Pacifico)near many hotels. If you can manage your luggage that might be one way to avoid the taxi mafia that works the port. Last I saw, a couple of years ago, the port mafia cabs charged about US$25 to go to Barrio Norte/ Recoleta/Palermo hotels. If it's gone up proportionately with all Bs As taxi fares, it might be closer to $50 now - about 4 times what the legal meter cost would be.

Another way to go, if you can manage some Spanish, would be to access a telephone and call a radio cab like Premium or Pidalo or Paris (do a search here for tel #s). I believe called cabs are permitted to enter the port to pick up passengers. You can contact Premium online now to confirm that and that they will accept the port assignment. If they can you pay the meter plus a modest (5 pesos) surcharge for arranging the radio cab.

The large shopping centers offer free shuttle rides from the port to the centers which are in Recoleta (Patio Bullrich) and Retiro ( Galleria Pacifico)near many hotels. If you can manage your luggage that might be one way to avoid the taxi mafia that works the port. Last I saw, a couple of years ago, the port mafia cabs charged about US$25 to go to Barrio Norte/ Recoleta/Palermo hotels. If it's gone up proportionately with all Bs As taxi fares, it might be closer to $50 now - about 4 times what the legal meter cost would be.

Another way to go, if you can manage some Spanish, would be to access a telephone and call a radio cab like Premium or Pidalo or Paris (do a search here for tel #s). I believe called cabs are permitted to enter the port to pick up passengers. You can contact Premium online now to confirm that and that they will accept the port assignment. If they can you pay the meter plus a modest (5 pesos) surcharge for arranging the radio cab.

Same problem for port to EZE?

Same problem for port to EZE?

Yes. All the cabs parked at the pier "servicing" disembarking pax are thugs.

The OP posted that he was quoted a tariff of US$ 64 from port to AEP for a limo. I hope it was for a stretch with wifi, a wet bar, and an attractive, smartly outfitted, female chauffeur because the regular taxi meter fare from port to AEP is probably around 50-60 pesos, less than $US10 at the unofficial parallel exchange rate (now over 6 compared to the offical rate of about 4.50). Frankly, I can only guess that the port thugs are asking US$75-85 for the EZE drop. It's normally a fixed flat fare of about 180-200 pesos from the Recoleta to EZE ($30 at the parallel rate).

It's been a while since I ported in BA. The first couple of times a few years ago we exited from a terminal just 30 meters from a public street where one could with just a little difficulty hail a cab (the thugs might not let it pull into the terminal lot to more easily load your bags, but it was a minor inconvenience). The last time I ported it was at a terminal deep inside the port area and there were no street cabs available to hail, ergo the necessity of a radio cab. Asssuming you can manage to make the call, it's the way to go.

I've read a lot here about the taxi situation at the cruise port. I've received a quote of $64 US for a transfer from port to AEP by private limo service. (that seems pretty expensive) I sent email to Manuel Tienda Leon to see their price and they responded that they don't do transfers from port to AEP. So does that mean I'm stuck with the port taxis? Is that such a bad thing? Also, is there any other way to get into the city (since we have overnights in Buenos Aires, we're thinking about taking a walking tour, but it meets in the city, not at the port) if the cruiseline doesn't offer a shuttle. I can see that the back and forth to the city using taxis or a remis might be quite expensive.

There are usually lots of cabs just outside the port gates but the problem is the area is very rough. The taxi's inside the port are a rip off and one time we took one and the driver shuttled us to the gate and then insisted we take a cab out there who was obviously his partner in crime.

This is not very encouraging. I guess we may try to take the free shopping shuttles to get into the city (unless the cruiseline helps out by offering a shuttle) on our overnights and we just may have to bite the bullet and get the private limo to the airport...we have a late morning flight to Iguazu and can't risk it if there are problems getting a radio taxi. How about taxis back from the city to the port? Are we going to run into similar issues? This may be a situation where we'll be forced to take ship excursions just to be able to get in and out of the port easily.

We embarked at BA about 18 months ago (using the new terminal). We had an overnight there so on Day 2 we caught a free Sterns (?pretty sure it was them) shuttle into Florida St. They were handing out pamphlets as we entered the terminal from the ship (though as the ship berths in a separate location we had to have a bus between terminal and ship and vv - no walk off at all). It dropped us at the store with no pressure to even go onto the shop and there were return shuttles back. I know the taxi situation is a rip off at the port - we did not need to disembark there but if we had have we would've bitten the bullet and arranged a private transfer. An extra $30 or $40 will hardly break the bank given the cost of the cruise! We used a private transfer from the airport to our hotel and back at the end of our trip (Flying in an out of BA) and it was worth it.

This is not very encouraging. I guess we may try to take the free shopping shuttles to get into the city (unless the cruiseline helps out by offering a shuttle) on our overnights and we just may have to bite the bullet and get the private limo to the airport...we have a late morning flight to Iguazu and can't risk it if there are problems getting a radio taxi. How about taxis back from the city to the port? Are we going to run into similar issues? This may be a situation where we'll be forced to take ship excursions just to be able to get in and out of the port easily.

1. If you are just porting in Bs As for a day and consequently do not have to take your luggage, the free shuttles offered by the shopping centers (or Sterns) are the way to go to get into town. It will be easy to hail a street cab when you arrive at a shopping center. All cabs use the meter for trips inside city limits. Do not pay with a large bill (100 pesos) as dishonest cabbies are notorious for giving counterfeit change.

2. If you are disembarking and need to get AEP for a self made excursion bear in mind that there are severe baggage limitations for domestic flights (15kg ?) so you need to think about the logisitcs of where to store excess baggage. If you are reboarding the ship that isnt a problem, but if you are not then the hotel where you will or have overnighted should be willing to accommodate you. Accordingly, that might require a trip into town to get to the hotel. Call, or arrange for in advance, a radio cab or pvt car (remis).

3. If you need to get to EZE or AEP directly, call or arrange for in advance a radio cab or pvt car (remis).

4. It will not be a problem hailing a street cab to take you to the ship in the port.

Here is the web site for Premium taxi, one of the largest radio cab cos in BA - http://www.taxipremium.com/index.asp - its in Spanish so you need to "comprehendo un poco" or better yet try calling them to see if you can find an English speaking operator to get the info you need about port pick ups - 54 [country] 10 [city] 5238 0000.

A remis is a pvt car similar to a taxi except they are usually nicer vehicles (not always) and run not by meter, but at fixed rates normally only slightly higher than a taxi. Two reliable remis cos are Moviecar in Barrio Norte (54 10 4815 1581/1586) and Cleveland in the Olivos suburb (54 10 4794 8828/8194). There are many cab and remis cos all with similar pricing.

I am embarking in Buenos Aires. Is it reasonable to assume that taxis from EZE to my hotel, and from my hotel to the ship, will be metered--and at a fair rate?

The best option from EZE is to use the taxi booths in the terminal. Manuel Tienda Leon is one (http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp, click on the tiny Union Jack flag for English) - I have used them several times, paying in advance over the internet, with absolutely no problem, and will use them again next time I arrive in BA. From the hotel, the concierge will get you a metered cab.

I disembarked at Buenos Aires a few months ago and had no particular difficulties with taxis at the cruise port. It looks chaotic and the system isn't clear, but it's actually a prepaid scheme. You find the dispatcher and negotiate with him and pay, and he gives you a ticket that you give to the driver. I don't speak Spanish so was not up to negotiation but was charged 100 ARS (about $20) to the Boedo neighborhood (which is quite a way out, the other side of the downtown area). AEP would be in the same ballpark. This may be over the metered rate but is hardly larcenous. However, if I recall correctly, the prices were higher if you wanted to pay in USD.

I disembarked at Buenos Aires a few months ago and had no particular difficulties with taxis at the cruise port. It looks chaotic and the system isn't clear, but it's actually a prepaid scheme. You find the dispatcher and negotiate with him and pay...

I was hopeful you were going to relate that things had changed for the better when I first started to read this, but apparently they have not.

1. It looks chaotic...hmm

2. and the system isn't clear...hmm

3. and you find a dispatcher and negotiate with him...hmm.

The fact that the fare has to be negotiated and prepaid is a contra-indication of both (a) the amount paid is close to the lawful meter rate and (b) that service will be good. Sometimes I feel like a prisoner in a wildly driven Bs As cab.

I don't speak Spanish so was not up to negotiation but was charged 100 ARS (about $20) to the Boedo neighborhood (which is quite a way out, the other side of the downtown area). AEP would be in the same ballpark. This may be over the metered rate but is hardly larcenous.

The law requires cabs to use the meter within the city limits (EZE is not within the city limits). The mafia thugs at the port don't comply with the meter requirement law and they charge "prepaid" prices much higher than what the meter reading would be. A daytime ride to Boedo would be about 40 pesos by the meter. Stictly speaking, that is larceny.

Taxicab driving is one of the few occupations in Bs As which has not "lost ground" income-wise as a result of the high inflation in the Arg economy (about 25-30% per year since 2002). That's because fares have increased at least that much (in peso terms) over the years. Comparatively speaking, taxi drivers (especially the ones that own their own vehicles) make a pretty good living. Most are honest and work long hours. Given the city's careless drivers and horrific trafiic patterns, the work can be grueling. Moreover, notwithstanding the frequent and large fare increases over the years, Bs As cab fares are still relatively inexpensive compared to fares in other world capital cities (about half of what they are in Paris), but this doesn't excuse the larceny engaged in by the port taxis.

However, if I recall correctly, the prices were higher if you wanted to pay in USD.

Counterintuitive.

There is a thriving parallel (black) market for US cash in Arg nowadays. The official exchange rate is about 4.55 Arg pesos to 1 US$, but the black rate is now well over 6. Luxury hotel rates are pegged to the US$. There are parallel exchange dealers all throughout the city with a concentration in the central business district. Savvy hotel bellboys and bartenders might offer advice. However, travelers should studiously avoid anyone who whispers "cambio" on the street especially Florida St where larceny has become elevated to an art form.

It is commonplace for local merchants to advertise a generous rate of exchange for purchases made using US$. Not so for taxicab drivers though I am sure there are some who would gladly exchange your US$ for you - offering the larcenous rate of 4.5. Accordingly, tourists are advised to use cash for larger ticket purchases and to negotiate a good rate of exchange when doing so. Business owners are finding it hard to legally acquire US$ which is necessary for international travel (Arg pesos are not readily accepted outside Arg). Locals have to pay about 6.25 to buy a US$ these days. http://ambito.com/noticia.asp?id=645587

The best option from EZE is to use the taxi booths in the terminal. Manuel Tienda Leon is one (http://www.tiendaleon.com.ar/home/home.asp, click on the tiny Union Jack flag for English) - I have used them several times, paying in advance over the internet, with absolutely no problem, and will use them again next time I arrive in BA. From the hotel, the concierge will get you a metered cab.

Agree. A corollary is never to hail a street cab at the EZE airport. Too many are crooked. For solo travelers who want to economize, Tiendo Manuel Leon offers a bus from EZE to their Retiro HQ for about 60 pesos. It leaves every 1/2 hour during most of the day and night. From the HQ they offer a free lift to your local hotel or local final desitnation in or near Barrio Norte.

Archived