What to do in St. Thomas

ecarbine

I keep hearing Trunk Bay in St. Johns.

We did the sky something excursion thru Princess (only time I was there), which did the tram (I sure wished they gave us a lot more time at the top to eat, drink the drink of the day, and just take pictures, we were rushed back down), and it went to some place overlooking beauty, another height, and a 3rd high place. In the afternoon we did Koki Beach, a local beach that is cheap, like $10 pp to snorkel. Not Megans Bay which is so overrun no fish.

We will be in St. Thomas in February and have no plans and do not see any excursions that jump out at us; just hoping you might have some suggestions.

Thanks

We went snorkeling at Trunk Bay on St. John and it was postcard gorgeous. Took some kind of ferry and a bus and really enjoyed the whole trip.

Mindy

If you want to stay on St Thomas and do a beach day, go to Sapphire, not Magens Bay which is too crowded.

Here's a link to the web cam, so you can see for yourself

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/caribbean-web-cams/sapphire-beach-st-thomas-webcam.shtml

Coki Point is another good beach & close to Coral World , which is really nice.

You can also take a private tour aroung the island. There are several good tour companies. Check the ports of call board.

You can also take the ferry over to St John to Cruz bay. Go to Trunk Bay, or do something at the national park if the beach isn't your thing.

Cindy, Former St Thomas resident.

You can see the tram car frame in this picture.. it goes all the way to the top of the mountain, and you can walk there from where Carnival docks (there are two docks).

Have a bushwaker (sp) at the top and trinkets and nice view to relax and enjoy. I think it costs about $25 pp to go up the tram, but kinda fun. We paid $50 for the excursion which included it.

Picture074.jpg

no matter where we dock, we go to the crown bay marina and take a short ride (very short) to water island USVI and spend a lovely day at honeymoon beach. its perfect and less than 10 people before 12, then less than 40 people after 12... Wendy at the grill (on beach) is an amazing cook. you can stop at the marina store for drinks, beer etc or the grill also sells it.

I was just thinking about why to do in st. Thomas also. But, isn't coki beach the one where a girl was shot and killed in a gang war? Maybe I am wrong and i don't want to be Debbie downer, but I wanna stay safe too.mthanks!

I was just thinking about why to do in st. Thomas also. But, isn't coki beach the one where a girl was shot and killed in a gang war? Maybe I am wrong and i don't want to be Debbie downer, but I wanna stay safe too.mthanks!

It was not AT the beach .. it was out on the street, and someone shot and caught someone in the cross fire.

So because something happened out on the stree where you drive by, you would forever avoid that beach. If you feel that way, why not extend it to the whole island, after all a innocent victim was killed ...on the street, so avoid all streets in St. Thomas?

The tourist was not even the target. I think it would be different if it happened at the beach .. perhaps.. though violence can happen anywhere .. and if a tourist had been the target, not just a innocent victim in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It was not AT the beach .. it was out on the street, and someone shot and caught someone in the cross fire.

So because something happened out on the stree where you drive by, you would forever avoid that beach.

The tourist was not even the target. I think it would be different if it happened at the beach .. perhaps.. though violence can happen anywhere .. and if a tourist had been the target, not just a innocent victim in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I do know that bad stuff can happen anywhere, as I have lived in Kansas city for about 10 years and our crime rate is really high. I just remember the story and it seemed to me as though that beach is near an undesirable area. I was just asking and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here.

better safe than sorry. water island USVI has no crime and under 300 residents, and its very expensive to buy property. great beach day. public transport (ferry/boat) is only $10 round trip.

Trunk Bay is beautiful but can be a hassle to get to and from, as it requires two cab rides as well as a ferry ride. We have done it on our own to get more time there, and have also taken excursions.

But in all our visits, we never got a good look at St. Thomas itself, so our last visit, we took a Godfrey tour. A nice gentleman with a passion about the island.

It's broken up into three parts.

First, he will pick you up at the ship, and take you downtown and leave you there for 1,2 or 3 hours.

Then he will take you on a historical tour with some photo ops, and then will leave you at one of the 3 main beaches (we always choose Megan's Bay, and it's never crowded, but does have a nominal fee of $3.

Then he will pick you up and bring you back to the shop.

He has a website if you want to check him out.

I do know that bad stuff can happen anywhere, as I have lived in Kansas city for about 10 years and our crime rate is really high. I just remember the story and it seemed to me as though that beach is near an undesirable area. I was just asking and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here.

Ive been there and the local women were so nice to me and we shared lunch on a picnic table and I have nothing but happy memories. They reminded me of local Hawaiian women. Hawaii has some violence too for that matter.

But if a drive by shooting means avoid the whole area, that is the road around the island .. and the shell place that people go to which is pretty well known is even closer and right on the street for that matter.

I just dont think you can blame the whole area, but it was local. I lived among the locals in Hawaii too.

I used to live in Boca Raton FL, home of the wealthy right?? I was the victim myself of some idiots who shot out my window just before midnight. I had agreed to feed a friends cat while he was on vacation and on my way to feed the cat. The police actually blamed me... wanted a full list of everyone I had dated .. acted like why didnt you get the license on their car.. they really pointed the finger at me.. so I too was the victim... and not even in a crime area of a drive by. They didnt shoot me, just shot out my window and around my front door of my vehicle.. but it does happen in good areas too.

We went parasailing there. It was great and beautiful!

Now that sounds awesome! I haven't been parasailing yet! Where did u parasail at? Did you have to reserve a place ahead of time or is it first come, first served?

Take a look at this map of St Thomas

http://www.virginislandsmap.com/stthomas/

The island is small enough that it would be hard to go anywhere to avoid such random violence, including downtown Charlotte Amalie, or driving to Crown Bay.

I don't know exactly where this shooting happened, but the same road goes to the Red Hook Ferry, Sapphire, Wyndham resort & Magen's Bay as well as Coki and Coral World. It was a horrible thing but it was 2 years ago now.

There is nothing wrong with Water Island, but it certainly wouldn't be my first suggestion to an island visitor.

Cindy, Former St Thomas resident

We were there a month ago and I have to give another vote for Sapphire Beach. It was amazing. Not busy at all and I love to snorkle and the water was beautiful. Great place to get a beach chair and just sit and do nothing if you want. They have a little shop on the beach to rent the chair and get a beer or 2. Rent snorkle equipment if you do not have you own.. It is easy to get a cab at the port and head over. There are cabs that keep coming and will pick you up and take you back. We also did the cable car up to Paradise Point. Nice view and the Bushwacker drink is great too. It is real easy to do this port on your own, but I have been here 3 times and had done the island tours and the shopping , so this time was a day on our own.. It was fantastic!!!

quick question since this is my first time heading to St. Thomas also. Do you need a passport to head over to St. John? I thought i saw somewhere that you did but i'm hearing from others that they were not asked for their passport or did not bring their passport off the ship to go to St. John.

St. John is part of the U.S. Virgin Islands, No passport needed.

If you miss the boat, no problem getting back home, BUT you may have a problem getting to the next port of call.

Cindy

former St Thomas resident

Archived