Hamburg vs London. Should we embark for TA in Hamburg and miss out London entirely?

Tobysmum

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and opinions regarding a possible embarkation change.

Currently my husband and myself are booked on the Westbound TA leaving Southhampton on May 25 2013. Our cabin is a sheltered balcony on deck 5. This is our 1st time with Cunard and only our 2nd ever cruise, and is to celebrate a milestone birthday.

We had planned to fly from Sydney to Paris, spend a few days there (never been to Paris), take the 'chunnel' to London, spend a few days there, then embark from Southhampton to NY.

We're now considering eliminating London entirely (both of us have been there before) and taking the train from Paris to Hamburg, and start our TA from there on 23 May.

We've never 'done' Europe so this is very much a 'taster'.

Is Hamburg a destination in itself, or would we be better to go to perhaps Berlin or Frankfurt, then get the train to Hamburg. We're envisaging spending 4 or so days in Paris, then the same amount of time in Germany. We both prefer to stay in one place and walk and get to know it well, rather than pack up for a different destination every night.

Everyone seems to talk about the 'sail away' from Hamburg as being wonderful. What is it exactly and does it happen every time a ship sails?

I love reading everyone's answers and comments, so am looking forward to reading what is recommended.:)

My suggestion if you want to "do Europe" would be to Fly to Paris then go up the coast to Brugge, Amsterdam, Berlin then Hamburg (if you have the time). Hamburg is a nice city but (in my opinion) doesn't compare to Brugge or Amsterdam. If your time does not allow that then I suggest Paris, Berlin then Hamburg to board.

The QM2 gets a huge turnout on the banks of the Elbe and it is a very beautiful journey to the sea. I asked Stephen Payne (QM2's architect) why this is so and he said the city fell in love with the ship when it went there for it's first yard period.

My suggestion if you want to "do Europe" would be to Fly to Paris then go up the coast to Brugge, Amsterdam, Berlin then Hamburg (if you have the time). Hamburg is a nice city but (in my opinion) doesn't compare to Brugge or Amsterdam. If your time does not allow that then I suggest Paris, Berlin then Hamburg to board.

The QM2 gets a huge turnout on the banks of the Elbe and it is a very beautiful journey to the sea. I asked Stephen Payne (QM2's architect) why this is so and he said the city fell in love with the ship when it went there for it's first yard period.

Brugge / Bruges is amazing

My suggestion would be to extend your crossing and depart from Hamburg. The sailaway from Hamburg is, and everyone here seems to agree, amazing :) . Pre-crossing I'd spend time in either Paris or Berlin. Making sure I was in Hamburg a day (or two at most) before sailing date. Whatever you decide, have a great time :) .

QM2 is a vast ship; spend the extra couple of days Hamburg-Southampton, finding your way about so that by time other passengers board at Southampton you are confident about her layout and have found a few favourite spots, one of mine is the Commodore Club. There are photos of her interiors via the link below.

I hope this helps, or at least gives you some more ideas, Bon Voyage! :)

Absolutely agree with Pepperrn, that Hamburg is by far a superior and unforgettable sail away. Southampton is nothing to compare! If you can arrange your tour around the Hamburg departure for NY, I am sure you will have no regrets.

London is wonderful to visit, but, to me, it's a no brainer. Berlin and Hamburg are both fascinating cities that can keep a tourist occupied for days. I would board in Hamburg after exploring Berlin and enjoy the two extra days on the QM2. While in Southampton, spending the day in Cowes or visiting the New Forrest would be a delightful way to pass the time there.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and opinions regarding a possible embarkation change.

Currently my husband and myself are booked on the Westbound TA leaving Southhampton on May 25 2013. Our cabin is a sheltered balcony on deck 5. This is our 1st time with Cunard and only our 2nd ever cruise, and is to celebrate a milestone birthday.

We had planned to fly from Sydney to Paris, spend a few days there (never been to Paris), take the 'chunnel' to London, spend a few days there, then embark from Southhampton to NY.

We're now considering eliminating London entirely (both of us have been there before) and taking the train from Paris to Hamburg, and start our TA from there on 23 May.

We've never 'done' Europe so this is very much a 'taster'.

Is Hamburg a destination in itself, or would we be better to go to perhaps Berlin or Frankfurt, then get the train to Hamburg. We're envisaging spending 4 or so days in Paris, then the same amount of time in Germany. We both prefer to stay in one place and walk and get to know it well, rather than pack up for a different destination every night.

Everyone seems to talk about the 'sail away' from Hamburg as being wonderful. What is it exactly and does it happen every time a ship sails?

I love reading everyone's answers and comments, so am looking forward to reading what is recommended.:)

If you can afford it do Paris-Rome-Prague-Berlin.

Thanks everyone - looks as if London is being given the flick!(at least for this trip).

Taking a day trip when we get to Southhampton sounds a great idea - hadn't really thought about that option.

Our travel agent is investigating our ability to change the itinerary and providing it doesn't cost us any change fees, I think we'll depart from Hamburg. Our original cabin isn't available for the extra 2 days, but the one next door is (!) so hopefully we won't have any difficulties.

The train system seems to be very efficient in Europe (unlike in Oz!) so I'm guessing train from Paris to Berlin, then a few days later to Hamburg won't be an issue. We'll have largish suitcases though - do the trains cater for them?

Only wish we had more time - but hopefully our next trip will be in 'retirement mode' so we'll explore more at our leisure.

Don't forget that Southampton is the most significant port.

This is where the Mayflower departed from.

This is where the Titanic departed from.

I would visit the Titanic memorial places in Southampton and the Maritime museum while in Southampton.

You will actually be doing the Titanic route from Southampton to New York - the world's ocean route #1.

Some say departure from Southampton is nothing to talk about.

They don't understand.

The QM2 normally departs from the former White Star Ocean dock. You'll see the exact place where the Titanic departed from.

Then you'll sail down the Solent and pass the Isle of White.

This is the way of the most famous and gradiose liners in maritime history.

This water cannot be compared with any other water (Hamburg, etc.).

While on route there will be a special information about the time when the QM2 is at the closest position to the Titanic.

And the last but not least.

Arrival at New York is a special event.

Passing under Verrazano Bridge that marks the gateway to America.

Don't miss it no matter how early it happens!

If you love the QM2 you would probably take a ferry (it's free) to Staten Island to find a good spot to see a magnificent picture of the QM2 (and other ships) leaving New York the same day at about 5.00-6.00 PM.

This is a unique entertaiment you can have in New York.

The Queen Mary 2 (QM2) arriving in New York (and brush up your French:))

Enjoy your trip!

Here in the USA, we are taught that the mayflower left from Plymouth!

The Mayflower voyage (with a second ship "Speedwell" at first) orginated at Southampton in 1620, called at Dartmouth for repairs, and again at Plymouth for further work, and then called at Newlyn for water. Which is the "real" departure port?...

Mayflower had no Commodore Club... but a very strict dress code :D

There are many factors you might consider when deciding between Hamburg and Southampton, but links to Titanic as someone suggested, however tenuous should not be on your mind.

Southampton has changed somewhat since 1912. Your voyage would not follow the route, there is usually no stop in Ireland on the way. You would be arriving in Brooklyn, not at the Titanic berth which was on the Hudson. If you want to see a Titanic museum, take the New England & Canada voyage and go to the one in Halifax. The voyage down the Solent is rather ho-hum compared with many others in ports you might have visited. I could go on, but you get the picture.

Southampton is not without its merits and QM2 usually goes from the Ocean terminal, which is excellent. The other terminals sometimes used by Cunard are often a sea of elbows and long queues on embarkation day.

London is always worth a look if you like that sot of thing, but of all the capitals I've visited there's only Paris that I like less and only then because of the rudeness of the Parisiens and the not infrequent disdain for English. Germans, on the other hand seem to enthusiastically switch to the language you are probably most comfortable with.

London has a well earned reputation for high prices and tourist tat and is not located exactly next door to Southampton.

Hamburg, on the other hand does seem to get good reviews, both as port to depart from and as a place to visit. It's on my list for next year. I'm a Brit, but London holds no interest for me. If you go in May, at least the Olympics will be well out of the way and therefore you will only get the usual tourist fleecing instead of the blatent hotel profiteering in play at present.

Personally I would go for the Hamburg departure and anyway - if you do the Hamburg departure, you will stilll call at Southampton. As for Titanic Museums - the one is Halifax is great but the new Sea City museum in Southampton is pretty good as well - and almost entirely Titanic orientated - if that is your interest.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and suggestions - and even the history lesson (thanks Pepper!).

After much 'toing' and 'froing' I think we may have a schedule that will incorporate everything we want to do.

We plan to fly into UK, bypass London, and hire a car to spend time in the Southwest corner - Devon and Cornwall. We'll then drop off the car at Dover, catch one of the new P&O ferries across to Calais (not quite the QM2 but as its only for 2 hours who's worried?!), train to Paris, spend a few days there, and fly to Hamburg to arrive the day before QM2 leaves for Southhampton, and thence to NY.

Without exception, all your reviews for the Hamburg sail away have been so positive that I don't think we'll be disappointed.

On a lighter note, that extra day at sea prior to Southhampton will give me a chance to do some laundry before the the TA commences - I don't want to waste valuable time doing washing when I could be enjoying the delights of the ship!

So once again, thank you all for your input - one of the first things I do every day is log onto the forums to see what info I can glean prior to our trip.:D

Only 10 months to go.......

Thanks so much for everyone's input and suggestions - and even the history lesson (thanks Pepper!). After much 'toing' and 'froing' I think we may have a schedule that will incorporate everything we want to do. We plan to fly into UK, bypass London, and hire a car to spend time in the Southwest corner - Devon and Cornwall. We'll then drop off the car at Dover, catch one of the new P&O ferries across to Calais (not quite the QM2 but as its only for 2 hours who's worried?!), train to Paris, spend a few days there, and fly to Hamburg to arrive the day before QM2 leaves for Southhampton, and thence to NY. Without exception, all your reviews for the Hamburg sail away have been so positive that I don't think we'll be disappointed. On a lighter note, that extra day at sea prior to Southhampton will give me a chance to do some laundry before the the TA commences - I don't want to waste valuable time doing washing when I could be enjoying the delights of the ship!

So once again, thank you all for your input - one of the first things I do every day is log onto the forums to see what info I can glean prior to our trip.:D Only 10 months to go.......

Have the MOST wonderful time :) . Please ask if there is anything else you need to know/advice, there are some very knowledgeable, experienced and friendly people here who love to help. Bon Voyage! :) .

• 4 months later...

Hi Toby's Mum! I know this is an old thread, but I'm just discovering this forum.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of leaving from Hamburg after reading this thread. I actually lived in Hamburg for several years, and I think it's a bit of an undiscovered gem in Northern Europe. It's not full of traditional tourist sites, but it's a vibrant, slightly edgy city with tons of culture. I want to point out that it's considered the "Broadway of Europe," with a number of really first-rate musical productions (albeit in German--sort of downside!). I'd give it more than a day, but perhaps I'm biased.

By the way, we will also be on the May 25 sailing from Southampton (for sure)--and perhaps on May 23 from Hamburg. :)

Hi Toby's Mum! I know this is an old thread, but I'm just discovering this forum.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of leaving from Hamburg after reading this thread. I actually lived in Hamburg for several years, and I think it's a bit of an undiscovered gem in Northern Europe. It's not full of traditional tourist sites, but it's a vibrant, slightly edgy city with tons of culture. I want to point out that it's considered the "Broadway of Europe," with a number of really first-rate musical productions (albeit in German--sort of downside!). I'd give it more than a day, but perhaps I'm biased.

By the way, we will also be on the May 25 sailing from Southampton (for sure)--and perhaps on May 23 from Hamburg. :)

Hi Charliedalrymple

I got such a surprise when my old thread popped up! Such a lot has changed since I posted that question - for a variety of reasons, we have now changed the trip around and are now flying into London on May 4, spending 4 days based in Bath, a night in the New Forest, then sailing on QM2 'Northern Highlights' on May 10, departing Southampton. This cruise takes us to Hamburg twice, then back to Southampton on May 25. We're then getting train to Paris and after 5 days there, flying home to Sydney.

We decided to forgo the TA as it was becoming too hard to fly into Europe and fly out of USA - expensive as the airlines regard it as 2 one way fares.

Although we won't be experiencing the magic of the TA, we will be spending 15 nights on the QM2 (a dream trip for me!) and we will be seeing a little taster of British Isles and Europe.

As we will now have 2 days in Hamburg, I'd be interested in your thoughts as to 'things to do' on both days - we don't really want to take ship's tours as they can be a bit expensive.

If you do embark on 25 at Hamburg we can meet up!:)

Hi Toby's Mum. I'd be happy to offer my (decidedly biased) list of recommendations for Hamburg. Mind you, I have lived there for about 20 years, and I have not doubt things have changed since then. I'm sure others here who have been to Hamburg more recently will have additions to (and disagreements with) some of the things on my list. I hope it's helpful!

In no particular order:

- Harbour tour. Hamburg is one of the largest and most significant ports in Europe, not to mention the world. You can't really appreciate its scope without a very interesting boat tour around it.

- The "Wilkomm Hoft" in Wedel. This is the point at the end of the Elbe River where ships enter and exit the Hamburg harbour. There is a restaurant/cafe on the banks of the river that offers a perfect view. You can sit and have coffee and watch the ships, which pass with surprising frequency. They play the national anthem of the country of each ship and greet them in German and English (and I think in their own language). You can take one of subways to the end of the line at Wedel and either walk or get a bus from there. I took my parents to this and we loved it!

- Maritime Museum. Hamburg was a member of the Hanseatic League and has a rich maritime history, which is very well chronicled in this excellent museum.

- Rathaus (City Hall). It's unique and quite beautiful. I'm not sure whether there are tours of the interior, but definitely plan to visit the square in front of it for a close-up look. That will put you in the center of Hamburg's main shopping district, which is definitely worth a stroll.

- St. Michael's Church. The interior is more impressive than the exterior, and you can take an elevator to the tower for excellent views of the city.

- Deichstrasse. Hamburg has very little "old town," as the city was largely destroyed during WWII. This charming little quarter remains, and it has a number of good restaurants.

- St. Nikolai Church. The church proper was destroyed during the war and has been left in ruins as a sort of memorial; only the tower remains.

- St. Pauli. As Mallorca Saint mentioned, the Reeperbahn is worth a look. It is probably Europe's second most famous red light district (after Amsterdam), and you can walk safely through the streets of bordellos. You'll see lots of other tourists there!

Oops, sorry: the first line should read that I have NOT lived in Hamburg for 20 years. I lived there for about three years in the early 90's.

I also forgot one thing: the fish market at the harbour, which takes place every Sunday morning, starting at some unreasonable hour like 4:00 a.m. If you get there by 8:00 or so it will be winding down. Yes, they still sell fish, but also a wide variety of other stuff. It's a unique experience.

Archived