Very first cruise ever!

Ohhh. 2030 (830pm) is available!! So you would suggest I go for it? Will we miss any of the evening entertainment by dining at 830 (to say, 10ish), or will it all be after that (or during it in the same dining room)?

You won't miss anything- the shows are repeated for the two different seatings. Some will be earlier than your seating, finishing sharp at 8:30, others will be after your seating.

Opinion- we like the 8:30 seating, since we don't rush once back on board. But that's just us.

Great! Think we will do that! Gives plenty of time to relax and do whatever after being out for the day. I guess you can just pull a no-show if you fancy trying one of the specialty restaurants on any given night?

The fee restaurants (Portofino only on Adventure at present) should be booked in advance, either online before the cruise or the first day on board.

If you're looking for an excursion in St. Lucia find Spencer Ambrose' website. We've been with him twice and had a great time.

If you're thinking of one port to take it easy and not do much, St. Martin is a thought. We've been there many times and now just hang out to eat, drink and shop. Not necessarily in that order!:D

And yes you can pull a "no-show" at the main dining room anytime you want - it's your cruise! Also no need to rule out the Windjammer Buffet for a night or two. They turn down the lights, it's nice and quiet and not too busy. In some ways it's more relaxing than the main dining room, plus you can go anytime you want and not have to dress for dinner.

Great! Think we will do that! Gives plenty of time to relax and do whatever after being out for the day. I guess you can just pull a no-show if you fancy trying one of the specialty restaurants on any given night?

Yep. Just don't show up and no worries.

So what about the RUM? You won't get better rum then Mount Gay on Barbados (IMHO).

Haha! No problems with rum!

Excellent- if you get to spend the night in San Juan, there's a Don Q tasting place right along the pier, and Bacardi is a ferry ride away to a real tour/tasting. :D

Our favorite is Don Q Gran Anjeo. It Rocks.

When are you sailing again? They have a Taste of Rum festival in San Juan in March. Drank a LOT of rum that weekend.

People are different. On our first cruise we went to Carribian. And I remember very well my internal discussion about balcony or not. And I think the difference was something in the area stipuikated here.

But in the end I/we decided to go for a balcony. The following "excuses" were used:

This will be once in a lifetime vacation and probably the only time we were going to cruise

The total price of the vacation with plane ticket from Norway, hotels, transportation etc was pretty steep (for us at that time) that another "couple" of dollars did not really increase the price much in prosent.

It turned out to be one of my better decitions.

Being from Norway and be able to get some coffee and a glass of cognac and sit out on the balcony just before bedtime wearing nothing than a short listening to the sea and winding down from a busy day is priceless. Or just grab something from downstair early in the morning before windjammer opens and sit in quiet on the balcony (takes me some time to get over the jet lag)

Of course it did end up with a couple of more cruises (being diamond now)

Get to the ship early! We like to check in around 11:00. Please correct me as I've not gone out of PR. But if the ship leaves around 4:00 or 5:00 get their at 11:00. That way you can be one of the first to board and really get a opportunity to walk around and take pictures without tons of people in your way.

My advise is to pack hand luggage with a change of clothing, medication if required and items you may need if your case was delayed. If you never forget to do that then your on a winner - especially on a fly cruise and inter-connecting flights on quick turn-around's. My case took a trip of it's own around Europe for seven days... I think it had a better time than me! :rolleyes:

:cool:Inform your waiter the night before that you will not be dining the next night. They may hold up service to others at your table waiting for you to show up. Go to the specialty restaurants the day you arrive. Make reservation early. Do not make reservation for formal nights. Usually better food in main dining room those nights. Then after reservation is made, inform waiter:cool:They will appreciate the courtesy

Get to the ship early! We like to check in around 11:00. Please correct me as I've not gone out of PR. But if the ship leaves around 4:00 or 5:00 get their at 11:00. That way you can be one of the first to board and really get a opportunity to walk around and take pictures without tons of people in your way.

The ship only leaves at 8 that night - is it better time spent then having a look around PR (if we arrive mid-day the day before) and go to the ship at like 3 or something?

The ship only leaves at 8 that night - is it better time spent then having a look around PR (if we arrive mid-day the day before) and go to the ship at like 3 or something?

:cool:Dinner, show, muster drill will all come up fast. You arrive day before, check into a hotel by 1:30. Hit old san juan around 2;30, tour fort, town, maybe bacardi and have dinner late around 7:30. See city at night. Still can get up, have breakfast and not be rushed to ship.

Flipside to this--If you are never coming back, then spend more time in Old San Juan. Not much in new San Juan other that nice hotels with nice beaches, but you will see better beaches on your cruise:cool:

Our family of 14 took Adventure of the Seas out of Puerto Rico in 2009, almost all of the same ports, but we were unable to stay in San Juan or arrive a day early, honestly wish we could have but we still had the best time on our cruise and for most of us, is was the first cruise!

Get on the ship at 11am like everyone says so you don't miss all the fun and time to look around!

We booked our dinner in the main dining room for 6pm each night and it was perfect, we managed to get to a show each night afterwards (shows are alot of fun, don't miss them).

We booked an excursion in Antigua that was an Kayak Eco Tour & Snorkel through the ship and I would highly recommend it! We had an amazing experience and our tour guide was very informative! (our daughters still remember their delicious banana bread!)

We loved Barbados, we had a van/taxi outside our ship take us to a nice beach, same in St Lucia, what ever you do I am sure you will have a great time! This won't be your last cruise! We are hooked already, booked our next one for 2013! :) Have a great trip!

Congrats on your first cruise. You have chosen a great itinerary with many wonderful ports. If you decide on a balcony order breakfast room service for sunrise on at least one day. Nothing better than sitting on your balcony enjoying a hot cuppa while watching the sun come up.

Also, do not try to do everything on your first cruise. There is so much to do and see that you cannot possibly do it all. Remember that this is a vacation and not a job. Lots of time to see more and do more on your next cruise and yes there will be a lot more cruises in your future.

Above all, enjoy yourself.

If you decide not to go with a balcony for what ever reason, there is a beautiful track up top that is so nice for an early walk with your morning java (pick up in the cafe promenade on the way!) Nice either way! You can't go wrong! :)

Hi

agree with most posters to arrive around 11 A.M.

Pack your bathing suit in your carry on as your suitcases might take a while to arrive. That way you can get on board, have lunch in the windjammer (buffet) and head for the pool.

Johnny Rockets is great fun, we wish there was one on every ship.

A must see in Old San Juan is the El Morro Fort. Raices restaurant is typical, good and not too expensive.

Be warned cruises are addictive and there is no cure:D

Dinner Seating: My Time Dining , No Waiting Lists...So is how this works that you just book a day or two in advance for a time, or just show up and wait to be seated at one of the two free restaurants?

For the buffet (deck 11), you just walk in, grab a plate, and start loading up -- no reservations required nor accepted. This is true for all passengers. For the main dining room (MDR) evening dinner with my time dining (MTD), I think you can make reservations and even have the same table and same dining staff each night if you want. Others will know for sure -- I have always use fixed time "traditional" dining. I think when you board you can go to the MDR to set this up. Your ship has only one MDR really, even though there are 3 decks and 3 names to them (on decks 3, 4, and 5). MTD will probably be on one deck only -- on my voyager class ships it is always been on deck 5. For MDR for breakfast and lunch, you just show up whenever it is open, probably always on deck 3. You'll likely be seated with others who have also just arrived. Cafe Promenade -- just walk in. It is open most all the time. Great Danish for breakfast here, and strong Seattle's Best Coffee (no extra charge unless you order a specialty coffee). Cafe Promenade is probably the best place to have a traditional English Tea time. You'll find several tea bag choice, and cookies and pastries. Or do Scotts have English Tea time?

Archived