Staying in a suite solo - awkward?

CarleenD

Carleen, I just solved your problem. I'm good looking, very fit and have a great personality. We'll share your suite together. quote]

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! "Um.. I'm a lot of fun, great to talk to, very easy-going, and won't get in the way.."

Hi... I travelled solo in a suite on my last trip, and had no issues whatsoever.

I also brought my iPad, and several books / magazines loaded onto it....and brought it to meals with me in the restaurants.

The hostesses were most accommodating in ensuring I wasn't getting a lot of glare from the sun, so that I could read while eating.

I tipped as though for 2 ($100 for concierge / $50 for butler) for the

week.... but I didn't ask the butler for anything (he 'complained' to the concierge that he wanted to help me, but I didn't need anything... :cool:)

Enjoy!

Carleen, I just solved your problem. I'm good looking, very fit and have a great personality. We'll share your suite together. quote]

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! "Um.. I'm a lot of fun, great to talk to, very easy-going, and won't get in the way.."

LOL @ you both!! :-)

I tipped as though for 2 ($100 for concierge / $50 for butler) for the

week.... but I didn't ask the butler for anything (he 'complained' to the concierge that he wanted to help me, but I didn't need anything... :cool:)

Ok, good to know. So you saved your tips for the end of the cruise? What about the other standard tipping - did you double that too?

Traveling alone, I usually find meals to be the most uncomfortable time. Besides any Cruise Critic Meet and Greet, be sure and go to the singles mixers that NCL hosts. Also go to the on-board activities like slot-pulls or tastings, another great way to meet people. Eat at the buffet at breakfast and lunch and ask to join someone who looks to be eating alone. You know, the person with the book. This works well when the buffet area is busy. Just walk up and ask to share their table. I've meet lots of people this way. At dinner ask the hostess seating you if they can seat you with others. Some people do like to share their table. But don't stay cooped up in your suite every night! Be sure to get out and have fun. See the shows! Go dancing!

Thanks yes, the choice is mine. But I wondered what it'd be like to be alone where everything is tailored for 2 or more people. I know the question was vague though. :-)

I think since the daily suite snack is always in units of 5, they don't really cater to 2 or more people, LOL...

Carleen you will just love love love the aft penthouse. We were three in Feb(DD, 4 yr old GS) & believe me there was times when I wished I was alone. Nothing like sitting on that balcony & watching the wake the peace is great. I love it so much I booked another one for Oct & I am taking DH on this one. The breakfasts & lunches in Cagneys is one of the best perks as in the coffee/espresso/cappuccino maker in your room your bulter will show you how to use it. If you have any questions about the suite I will be more then happy to try & answer them.

How could you stand being in that studio, it's so small! I'm considering booking solo and would appreciate why you liked it. I saw Don's pics of the lounge area and it looked a little barren. Tell me I'm wrong please! What kinds of things did the solos do there?

Carleen you will just love love love the aft penthouse. We were three in Feb(DD, 4 yr old GS) & believe me there was times when I wished I was alone. Nothing like sitting on that balcony & watching the wake the peace is great. I love it so much I booked another one for Oct & I am taking DH on this one. The breakfasts & lunches in Cagneys is one of the best perks as in the coffee/espresso/cappuccino maker in your room your bulter will show you how to use it. If you have any questions about the suite I will be more then happy to try & answer them.

Thanks a lot, I want to know everything! I'd better ask in another thread though.

How could you stand being in that studio, it's so small! I'm considering booking solo and would appreciate why you liked it. I saw Don's pics of the lounge area and it looked a little barren. Tell me I'm wrong please! What kinds of things did the solos do there?

Since it's off topic, if you email or private message me I'll tell you all about it. But really, it was FABULOUS. And I don't like small either.

I actually booked the aft PH for my 14 night South American on the Sun in 2009. My cousin and her friend were already booked in an outside. So I wouldn't have been alone. But my mom ended up going with me... But I was prepared to be solo in a suite. I imagine it has to be a relaxing experience of doing WHAT YOU WANT TO ALL THE TIME. I enjoy travelling with family but you always have to consider your travel companions wants and needs. In a suite IT'S ALL YOU!

I have always made friends in trivia. If you go for that might be a nice place to do so.

Enjoy!

I should have been clearer that I'm actually an experienced solo traveler. But something about being on the suite level just has me a little apprehensive... All the couples and families that will be around me... It seems like I'll just feel really out of place. But you guys have been GREAT about reassuring me, especially that the staff won't be annoyed with me being alone.

I never felt out of place when I traveled solo in the aft penthouse suite on the jewel. What I found quite amusing is that for the first 4 or 5 times I ate at cagney's for breakie or lunch every time I was asked how many and I said one the hostess gave me a look of pity and awww. Everntually it stopped and they just said hi and sat me. I think the suite perks are great if you are traveling alone. The concierge on the ship(adrian)really took good care of me and made sure I didnt feel left out and alone. He is the best.

Enjoy!!

Youu know I just remembered I did feel out of place once at Mama's Italian restaurant. The place was crowded but there were tables inside and the hostess sat me out threw the back doors in what I didnt even think was part of the restaurant. Eventually and officer and his ship "Girlfriend" sat there as well. It looked as if they were trying to be incognito. That felt odd but the food was great so I suffered in silence hehehehe

Archived