Passport??

Cruise doggie

Im scheduled to cruise in June on the Caribbean Princess. I just heard that all passengers MUST have a valid passport. Is that true? Or can you still use your birth certificate and drivers licence?

Off Princess web site...

On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, the U.S. State Department announced details of the proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." If the proposed rules are enacted, U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to carry a passport for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. The proposed implementation is as follows:

* December 31, 2005 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Once the proposed rules are finalized - either in their current form or a modified form - the cruise industry will communicate that information to our travel agent partners and guests. In the meantime, individuals with future travel plans that would be affected by the proposed new rules are strongly encouraged to obtain a passport now.

Bear in mind, if you're the young and youthful sort, that the only guarantee of consular protection comes from carrying a passport. The treaties that cover access to this assistance are *extremely* specific and if you were to ever run afoul of the authorities, you will appreciate having virtually indisputable proof of your citizenship on your person.

That said, Caribbean Basin Initiative countries do not yet require passports for those of US citizenship. Personally, I support requiring strong ID for entry into the US - we have the longest, busiest borders of any country and the lowest rate of passport ownership.

Eric

One other caution is that I read a story once about a woman whose husband had a medical emergency while on their cruise. They had to disembark in Jamaica. They were there for about a month and had a great deal of difficulty getting back into the country because they did not have passports (they used DLs and BCs for ID).

That's not to say that it will happen to you but it is a good idea to have a passport.

so many Americans and the reluctance to get passports. You are travelling in foreign countries. Last time I checked, the Caribbean and Mexico were not part of the US. Canada sure isn't and neither is Eruope. Iraq, maybe. Get a passport--it is the common and most accepted form of identification for travel and stop being so parochial and insular.

I think I had mine within 2 weeks (at the most and that was sending info from NH to Boston and back to us). It's been a few years but I wouldn't travel without one. We have them for our children as well because we travel alot. It's just easier than bringing other forms of ID.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to get a passport?

Thanks!

travel.state.gov

Get a passport. If you get in trouble when you're out of the country, you're gonna need it.

Dana

Sorry to sound stupid but where did you go to order your passports?? I have to get passports for myself and 3 kids and have no idea how to do it.

If you reside in the united states contact your local post office in many cities they also feature passport offices.. you will need ORIGINAL or Certified birth certificate and applications for each person and two (2) passport photos..

good luck

I did a general web search by typing in passports and found the US page, there is a link that will take you to local places to get your passports. Download the forms from there and fill them out before you go in. In Seattle you can go to your neighborhood community center - where you can pay for dog license, your city bills (elec., etc.)...

Archived