Miami Food

armywifefisher

I'd add Puerto Suaga or David's to that list if you are out on the beach and want Cuban and don't want to drive over to Miami.

Yardbird is outstanding. Southern, Low Country, soul food.

Thank you for posting these! We're headed to both these restaurants when in South Beach in Sept. You confirmed that I'm on the right track :)

Expect garlic toast, white rice, black beans, and fried plantains to be served with most Cuban meals. Some grilled chicken and meats are served topped with sauteed onions. Flavors include garlic, onion, pepper, lime, and bitter orange. Yuca in garlic sauce is my favorite side dish (it's a fibrous root vegetable) and tres leches is my favorite dessert.

That description is making me so hungry. I can't wait for some authentic Cuban food.

I hate to pile on about Joes Stone Crab because I haven't eaten there in years, but my dad used to get so pissed off at that old matre'd. If you greased his palm you'd shoot to the front of the line.

Sooo, my family switched to Monteys years back.

Faith, glad to help you! Go early to Yardbird and at Puerto Suaga they'll speak Spanish to you. Both are fantastic!

Forgot to add that that is a fantastic list Angie!

Ok one meal will be Cuban!! When is stone crab season? i have never had it doe sit tast like normal crab?

There isn't a taste like it. Its usually milder than regular crab, and a lot sweeter. You usually have the option of having them hot or cold. I prefer cold.

The season runs from October 15 to May 15.

The are usually served alone with no seasoning and a side of mustard, horseradish, or drawn butter.

Miamiyogi, thanks again for the 3guys link! I'm making the churrasco and chimichurri tonight and it's been marinading since last night. My husband only eats kosher food and he has watched me eat churrasco so many times so I managed to get some kosher skirt steak.:)

Miamiyogi, thanks again for the 3guys link! I'm making the churrasco and chimichurri tonight and it's been marinading since last night. My husband only eats kosher food and he has watched me eat churrasco so many times so I managed to get some kosher skirt steak.:)

Hi Royal! The chimichurri from the site is FANTASTIC! The key is the cilantro, most make it with parsley...My friends wont let me go to their BBQs unless I bring a bottle of my homemade chimichurri. The other key is marinating in mojo, which I guess you are doing. Taste the chimichurri with a piece of bread as you make it so you can season it the way you like.

THREE GUYS FROM MIAMI RULE!!!!!

Hi Royal! The chimichurri from the site is FANTASTIC! The key is the cilantro, most make it with parsley...My friends wont let me go to their BBQs unless I bring a bottle of my homemade chimichurri. The other key is marinating in mojo, which I guess you are doing. Taste the chimichurri with a piece of bread as you make it so you can season it the way you like.

THREE GUYS FROM MIAMI RULE!!!!!

I use chimichurri on chicken, fish, london broil, blablabla, LOL!!! I always make it with cilantro (LOVE cilantro) but the 3 Guys recipe also uses lime juice and onion, which are in addition to what I usually use. It was so good, the onion giving it much more texture. The marinade is sour orange juice, onion, olive oil, garlic, black peppercorns, etc. My kitchen was Casa Jew-ba tonight!:D

Okay so what you want is an Iconic list. This one is mine, everyone is welcome to flame me on it its my personal list. If I had to pick a handful of places I would choose:

Versailles (Cuban Food)- why? Because its in every Miami travel guide, its Cuban food. But quite frankly the local chains La Carreta and Latin America offer more or less the same fare about $10 per person at all locations. Also if there isn't a man whose sole job is to refill your water and bread at your resturant then its not a true Cuban place.

Gracia's or Casablanca (seafood)- why? Because seafood IS Miami. Don't you dare order a chicken or steak, it will suck. These are seafood places, both places are on the Miami River, if you go early you can catch the fisherman unloading the days catch...it doesn't get fresher than that. Figure $15pp

Joe's Stone Crab (self explanatory)- why? Again, its in every travel guide. Again you can stone crab cheaper elsewhere (all stone crab are the same [PERIOD] but they get the nod for outstanding if not offstandish table service. Figure $30pp

Filling Station Garage Bar (burgers)- why? Its a pain to find, harder to park, and its ugly inside. BUT some of the tastiest burgers ever and tater tots to die for. Anyplace willing to offer a peanut butter burger (and make it delish) gets a nod from me. They have a knack for having the best micro brews you never heard of; but will.

Must have a drink at - Rusty Pelican. I hate the food, but this place owns the best view in town.

News Cafe (continental)- why? Again...you just have to, and even though I find the food to be good at best, its so iconic, everyone in town has eaten here once. Great place for breakfast.

Casola's (pizza)- why? There is something gratifying about ordering a large pizza that is big enough to sleep under. Slices are enormous. In Miami you either think the best pizza is Frankie's or Casola's. Another ugly place, but hey when you need pizza at 4am, you don't care about decor.

El Palacio De Los Jugos (Cuban) - why? simply the best deal on Cuban food in town, make sure to bring your high school Spanish skills because nobody here speaks English except maybe a patron or two.

The Knife Steakhouse - why? Because the beef and salad is unlimited, and if I am going to die of a heart attack, I would like to be here, preferably on the balcony of the Coconut Grove location, I might get lucky and fall on a peacock.

Bond Street Sushi - why? There is just something cool about having sushi in the basement of a hotel with rocking trans music, and then going to the rooftop to keep partying.

Balans (continental) - Okay this isn't the best of the list, but the bathrooms still make me giggle

Big Pink (American) - why? Order the TV dinner and reminisce about watching Howdy Doody back when you actually had to get up and change the channel.

Micheal's Genuine Food and drink. why? just order up and thank me later.

River Oyster Bar - why? C'mon now, usually 12 different kind of oysters. If slimy snot things are your thing, this is the place to go.

Michy's - why? Michele Bernstein is a local if not national legend. She has a thing for finding the freshest stuff at the market and making a menu around it. Hint- they don't serve booze here (just beer and wine) but if you smile a lot and talk to the bartender and tip well he'll let you have some of the Gin he stashes for me.

Tobacco Road - Okay I hate this one. It is though the oldest bar in Miami (Fox's in South Miami makes the same claim). And I don't care what anyone says they don't have a license numbered 000, licenses weren't serialized back then. Then again, you probably would have been a railroad worker back then and not allowed to drink here anyway.

I love The River Oyster Bar! Great happy hour.

I don't mind Tobacco Road for drinks and live music. Just was The River, followed by Tobacco Road for a beer and the a Columbian hot dog at La Moon on Tiesday!

Archived