Florence on your own- Princess

barriekins

Does anyone know how much time you are given to spend in Florence on the Princess Florence on your own excursion?

Thanks!

5 1/2 hours

We had a great guide on the bus and the price for my family of 6 was cheaper than hiring a private transportation only car. They wanted 450E and 550E with a guide.

I bought and paid for timed tix to The Uffizzi and we went to The Palazzo Vecchio and shopped a small bit and hung out and visited the tombs at Santa Croce.

In retrospect, I would pass on the Uffizzi even though we loved it and wanted to do it this time around (we saw David last time) and would have gone to the Galleleo Museum.

Next trip..we will bypass Florence entirely...way too touristy....and will do the Tuscan countryside..wine tasting and such...

I felt the Florence transport only from the ship was a good deal and well done. As a family of 6, we are not interested in public transport in certain ports as the shuttle and/or taxi to the trains become costly and time consumming.

We did PCL tours in Istanbul..in order to see the Topkapi, in Athens...in order to do the Folkloric thing.....and Florence...in order to save money on no hassle transportation.

We were pleasantly surprised that the ship's tours were so well run...and in both Athens and Istanbul...considering the ship tour include food and admissions..they were cheaper than private tours...also..you can just give a few Euro as a tip to the guide versus 10 or 15% to a private guide.

Additionally, I put the ship tours on my interest free credit card that earns me cash points...so I am getting cash back...and have no problem paying it off interest free over the next 18 months. And even though I can pay it off in full now...why? It is interest free and I have already set up the auto pay with my bank. The funds are better off with me for now than they would be paying it off.....especially since it is interest free.

Didn't have to carry Euro with me from home either to pay the private guide.

I've read here and on the Princess boards that you have between 5 and 5 1/2 hours with the "on your own" option. The variance in time might be the difference between the time you actually are "on your own" versus walking with guide to/from the bus. At any rate, I wouldn't count on more than 5 hours for planning purposes.

With only 5 hrs. you may want to book online advance reservations for the Uffizi and/or the Academia Museum. You don't need to pay for them now, it's just a euro or two to reserve a timed entrance. Otherwise, you will be spending all your valuable time in line.

Thanks everyone. Do you know if the same amount of time is given if we do the Florence and Pisa on your own? The tour itself is longer, but I'm not sure how much of that time is spent in Pisa.

Thanks again!

Do you know if the same amount of time is given if we do the Florence and Pisa on your own? The tour itself is longer, but I'm not sure how much of that time is spent in Pisa.

1½ hours in Pisa and 4 hours in Florence.

This information and complete descriptions of all excursions is available in your Princess Personalizer.

Lew

Archived