2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

Quick question for you since I can't see the EXIF info on your photos. How many of the ones taken w/ the 70-200mm were taken at f/2.8? I am still trying to figure out what to rent and for how long. It sucks I'll need to take an extra day off of work to sign for the package when they deliver. I am not sure if having it delivered the day before we leave is a good idea or not, but it's the only option I have w/o spending over $500 for two week rentals....

Quick question for you since I can't see the EXIF info on your photos. How many of the ones taken w/ the 70-200mm were taken at f/2.8? I am still trying to figure out what to rent and for how long. It sucks I'll need to take an extra day off of work to sign for the package when they deliver. I am not sure if having it delivered the day before we leave is a good idea or not, but it's the only option I have w/o spending over $500 for two week rentals....

Wanna,

Almost none:D. The whales were the biggest challenge given the low light ont he overcast day and bumpy seas, so most of those were shot at f/4-f/6.3. Most of the bear and eagle photos (the series in Ketchikan), were shot at f/8-f/9. The eagles were at 1/400 sec, but I wish they were 1/640 or 1/800. Will they not deliver to your work address? That's what I usually do. The other option, which I did the first year for the same issue you are facing, was have the lens shipped to our first hotel in Seattle, and then shipped it home from Anchorage before we went to the airport. Saved a rental day, plus took care of not lugging the 100-400 around the airports and on and off the plane. Maybe that would work for you!?

L.J.

Wanna,

Almost none:D. The whales were the biggest challenge given the low light ont he overcast day and bumpy seas, so most of those were shot at f/4-f/6.3. Most of the bear and eagle photos (the series in Ketchikan), were shot at f/8-f/9. The eagles were at 1/400 sec, but I wish they were 1/640 or 1/800. Will they not deliver to your work address? That's what I usually do. The other option, which I did the first year for the same issue you are facing, was have the lens shipped to our first hotel in Seattle, and then shipped it home from Anchorage before we went to the airport. Saved a rental day, plus took care of not lugging the 100-400 around the airports and on and off the plane. Maybe that would work for you!?

L.J.

I went ahead and rented the 70-200mm f/2.8 plus the extender. It was about $65 more expensive than just renting the 100-400 but we'll see. I can always cancel if I change my mind. I am not 100% sure where I'll be working on that day so I may update/change the delivery address if I figure that out soon too. I figured having the f/2.8 would be nice if needed/wanted and then if I need more reach I can throw the extender on and still shoot at f/5.6 which is the smallest aperture available on the 100-400mm anyway. There was a 25% coupon for the lens itself so all total it was under $200, I consider that a steal for the lens and extender for 10 days! Now I begin buying other accessories to be ready!

I went ahead and rented the 70-200mm f/2.8 plus the extender. It was about $65 more expensive than just renting the 100-400 but we'll see. I can always cancel if I change my mind. I am not 100% sure where I'll be working on that day so I may update/change the delivery address if I figure that out soon too. I figured having the f/2.8 would be nice if needed/wanted and then if I need more reach I can throw the extender on and still shoot at f/5.6 which is the smallest aperture available on the 100-400mm anyway. There was a 25% coupon for the lens itself so all total it was under $200, I consider that a steal for the lens and extender for 10 days! Now I begin buying other accessories to be ready!

Nice! I assume you got the 2x telextender? That's a good compromise, and the 70-200 will be great even in port. Enjoy!!!

Hummingbirds are tough to photograph, FAST shutter speed if you want to stop their wings. The faster the better, so set a high shutter speed and then adjust ISO and aperture to make sure you get a properly exposed shot. Good luck, I have been trying to get hummingbird photos for awhile and all I can manage to get is when they land on a branch, haha.

I love the owl shot too, I wish I had one near me! I've been looking for a snowy owl this year but no luck!

LJ- I did get the 2x extender! Can't wait now!!

Hello jumping in on this one late but here are some of my thoughts..

I just got a t4i I know a lot of people will say why not a 6 or 7 d the features in the t41 are very sharp and a lot of fun. I take a lot of pictures of fires and other active scenes in day or night time in many conditions...

as for lenses a lense I like to use is the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens give me great zoom and its a nice size mm to start.. I know the speed is not the best but the lense works well

I also use a 100 to 400 canon lense great time with this works well of the momopod.

Dont forget the 8 mm wide angle manual focus.. this lense is a fun time and what you can catch with it is amazing.

I see the talk of the extender I would do heavy research on them I have heard more cons than pros on this I do not use one... did not like how some of the photos looked.

Just take lots of pics prior to the cruise to pratice

Remember to have high speed memory cards and extra ones

Just have fun

1408394175_AndersonStRailroadStation.jpg.0a1850ebd8a6beb4515df9a81883bca5.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous photos......we've been trying to decide between Alaska and other destinations for out 20th Anniversary trip in 2014 and after reading through your review I'm highly leaning towards Alaska. I do have one question, what made you choose to cruise with Royal Caribbean for both your Alaska cruises? We have sailed on NCL once and Royal twice and love Royal. I am just wondering if we will see enough on the routes they offer to "fully experience" Alaska by cruise ship?

Absolutely gorgeous photos......we've been trying to decide between Alaska and other destinations for out 20th Anniversary trip in 2014 and after reading through your review I'm highly leaning towards Alaska. I do have one question, what made you choose to cruise with Royal Caribbean for both your Alaska cruises? We have sailed on NCL once and Royal twice and love Royal. I am just wondering if we will see enough on the routes they offer to "fully experience" Alaska by cruise ship?

Hi, won't do you do a cruise/tour or some of your own touring prior or post cruise?

That's what we are doing so we get 5 days in Alaska's interior before cruisng down the coastline.

The first part of this thread also covers LJ's personal touring prior to the cruise so lots of good tips in that info for touring.

:)

The Platypus is somewhat elusive & since they live in streams & burrow into the banks they are not always easy to spot. But if you go on a wildlife tour that specifically lists them as one of the highlights then you are in with a good chance of seeing some.

I love owls as well, so much so I have created an owl design as my web/graphic design business mascot, the same one in my forum avatar. Sometimes I see them around & it's always when you don't expect it.

We have an unusual bird called the Tawny Frogmouth that often gets mistaken for an owl, until it opens it's mouth - as it makes the most unsual sounds!

I've yet to see an owl in the wild, but the ones at the Raptor Rehab center here are awesome up close. Have you ever seen a Eurasin Eagle Owl? Besides the Snowy Owl, they seem like the ultimate Harry Potter owl:D! The orange eyes are really cool!

Tasmania is about a 2 hour flight from Sydney, or you can go on the ferry from Melbourne overnight if you hire a car. Cape Grim in Tasmania is reported to have the cleanest air & water in the world & is considered to be one of the most pristine places left on earth.

RCCL also does cruises to Tasmania, but you would not have time to see the best bits.

You would need a week there to see the main spots & I suggest don't miss Cradle Mountain Lodge (or similar) which is located at the edge of the world heritage listed Cradle Mountain Lake, where in the evening whilst walking to the main lodge from your cabin you are accompanied by dozens of little wild animals on their way to the feeding area. I believe it is one of the only places in Tassie that you can see wild Tasmanian Devils coming in to feed.

Other highlights are The Franklin River near Strachan on the West coast, Freycinet on the East coast, the Cities of Launceston & Hobart.

The other top attraction not to miss is the at times eeire Port Arthur Penal Colony historic site, we did the night ghost tour & it was very worthwhile.

Sometimes at night in some parts of Tassie you have to drive at about 40kph (24mph) to avoid hitting the wildlife crossing the roads.

If you love wilderness & wildlife with a bit of history thrown in, then it's a really special place to visit.

I hope you manage to make it here some time, it's not that far really!:D

You have absolutely made the case for us to add Tasmania to our list! Alaska (again), and African photo safari and Australia are at the top of the list. - It just may take 10-12 years to get to them!

L.J.

I love owls, we have a resident one, here's a pic in our back 40:

35avk44.jpg

And our painted bunting:

svt9ao.png

Wish we knew more about our rebel! Todd was not able to stop this hummer's wings....any suggestions?

2cgg2nm.jpg

I've never tried it, but from what I understand a flash set on high speed sync it the most successful way to pull off hummingbird photos if you want to freeze the wings. Or having one in really bright sunlight/a high ISO and shooting at or above 1/1000th of second - even then you'll likely still get a bit of blur. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

L.J.

I love the owl shot too, I wish I had one near me! I've been looking for a snowy owl this year but no luck!

LJ- I did get the 2x extender! Can't wait now!!

A snowy owl on the eing is definitely on my dream list of shots to take - and I've never seen any owl in the wild;). I have a better shot at getting to Australia:D!

L.J.

Wow! I cannot believe I have spent the WHOLE DAY reading this thread!! That just lets you know how good it is...lots of Adventure in Alaska, details about cameras and shots,and new places to visit. Thanks to all posters!!

LOL - Wishful that's great to hear! I hope we didn't get you in trouble at work;)... Have you already booked an Alaska Adventure of your own, or are you just doing some research?

L.J.

Hi MillbrookMom - welcome aboard! Well, many people who have been to Glacier Bay (which RCI doesn't go to) will tell you that the only good cruise in Alaska is one which goes there. I guess ignorance is bliss since we have been to GB, but we have absolutely LOVED both our RCI cruises to Alaska. We are RCI loyalists (one Carnival cruise in the Caribbean and we'll never go back if we can help it). In addition to that, reading about all the glass and the views on Radiance made her very appealing - and she did not disappoint.

The biggest issue on routes is doing a one way (north or southbound) versus doing a round trip out of Vancouver or Seattle. My understanding is that you can spend two+ days at sea (open water sea, not Inside Passage), if you do the roundtrips, depending on the cruise line, itinerary and the ship. With the one ways, while airlines and other logistics are more expensive/complicated, is by all accounts (and our experience), highly scenic and photogenic.

I don't know what Alaska is up against, but if you have any interest at all, and found any of the things we did interesting or exciting, you should have a blast taking an Alaska trip. The other advantage of the one way is that, assuming time and money work out for you, they allow you the chance to see a bit (or a lot) of interior Alaska, which is it's own whole adventure. Good luck making your decision!

L.J.

Hi, won't do you do a cruise/tour or some of your own touring prior or post cruise?

That's what we are doing so we get 5 days in Alaska's interior before cruisng down the coastline.

The first part of this thread also covers LJ's personal touring prior to the cruise so lots of good tips in that info for touring.

:)

Agreed! My second review will cover a bit of Seattle, the train from Seattle to Vancouver, kayaing icebergs in Kenai Fjords(post cruise), flying into Misty Fjords, horseback riding in the Yukon, more whales in Juneau and fishing (and whales) in Icy Strait Point, (all the follwoing were post cruise as well) the Alaska Railroad from Seward to Anchorage, and renting a car and driving to Talkeetna, and a couple of days touring by car and bus in Denali National Park checking our bear, moose, caribou, and even lynx!!!

L.J.

Another review - excellent- can't wait!! :)

Please post here with a link if it's in a separate thread, your reviews are a good source for my research especially with all the pics, it really helps to see what a place looks like along with your well written descriptions.

If you have any good tips for Vancouver then please pass those on as well, we will be staying in Vancouver/Westren Canada for 7 days between our Alaskan & Hawaiian cruise.

Thinking whilst in vancouver of visiting the Capilano suspension bridge/tree tops etc, Victoria Island, Gas Town. Also spend a few days seeing Banff & Lake Louise if the budget allows.

Hi L.J. - With all your knowledge regarding lenses and settings for taking photos, I'm hoping you can give me some advice about editing. I have a few pictures from my Alaska trips that I'm really proud of and would like to frame. I have photoshop and lightroom but have no experience in using them to enhance my shots. Is there a quick and easy way to use these programs to make my photos look...LOL..."professional?"

Some of them look great to me as they are, but I've been told they could be made to really "pop" if I edited them using one of these programs. Any help you could give would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Di

Hi MillbrookMom - welcome aboard! Well, many people who have been to Glacier Bay (which RCI doesn't go to) will tell you that the only good cruise in Alaska is one which goes there. I guess ignorance is bliss since we have been to GB, but we have absolutely LOVED both our RCI cruises to Alaska. We are RCI loyalists (one Carnival cruise in the Caribbean and we'll never go back if we can help it). In addition to that, reading about all the glass and the views on Radiance made her very appealing - and she did not disappoint.

The biggest issue on routes is doing a one way (north or southbound) versus doing a round trip out of Vancouver or Seattle. My understanding is that you can spend two+ days at sea (open water sea, not Inside Passage), if you do the roundtrips, depending on the cruise line, itinerary and the ship. With the one ways, while airlines and other logistics are more expensive/complicated, is by all accounts (and our experience), highly scenic and photogenic.

I don't know what Alaska is up against, but if you have any interest at all, and found any of the things we did interesting or exciting, you should have a blast taking an Alaska trip. The other advantage of the one way is that, assuming time and money work out for you, they allow you the chance to see a bit (or a lot) of interior Alaska, which is it's own whole adventure. Good luck making your decision!

L.J.

Thank you so much. We live in Ontario, Canada, and one of the options we are considering is taking 3 weeks to do this trip, driving out, flying to Alaska from Vancouver, doing 3 or 4 days pre-cruise on our own (you've inspired me we can do it ourselves with a great deal of research ahead) then cruise southbound, then home. I really do like the idea of a Royal ship, so thank you for giving your reasons.

It's up against a Northern Europe cruise or Mediterranean.

One last question....your photos are amazing. I know I won't be able to get any that come close to what you have, but looking for recommendations on a Digital SLR for a beginner. (we do take tons of photos, but haven't broken down to by a Digital SLR yet, but I think it might be a must for an Alaska trip)

Thank you so much. We live in Ontario, Canada, and one of the options we are considering is taking 3 weeks to do this trip, driving out, flying to Alaska from Vancouver, doing 3 or 4 days pre-cruise on our own (you've inspired me we can do it ourselves with a great deal of research ahead) then cruise southbound, then home. I really do like the idea of a Royal ship, so thank you for giving your reasons.

It's up against a Northern Europe cruise or Mediterranean.

One last question....your photos are amazing. I know I won't be able to get any that come close to what you have, but looking for recommendations on a Digital SLR for a beginner. (we do take tons of photos, but haven't broken down to by a Digital SLR yet, but I think it might be a must for an Alaska trip)

Hi Millbrookmum,

I decided like you to upgrade to a better camera only last week after getting inspiration from this thread.:)

Based on LJ's great advice & online research I purchased one of the super zooms that fall between the snap & go digitals & the SLR's, I didn't want a camera as large as an SLR or one I had to change lenses on, plus I wanted to keep the price reasonable.

I bought it mainly because we will be going to Alaska later this year & was really inspired by LJ's photos to get a better camera now so I can learn to use it before I go.

I purchased the Canon SX50 HS which has an amazing zoom range & so many features I don't think I'll ever use them all. I'm really pleased so far with the quality of the images I can take & also it has really good macro & video capabaility. LJ used the previous model SX40 for their holiday video & also for some of the ship shots he took as well I believe.

I was blown away by the shots people have taken with the camera on this dedicated Flickr page I found, really worth having a browse as some amazing photos on there.

It may be an option you find worth considering as well?

Whatever you choose - hope you have as much fun as I have researching the options! :D

Hi Millbrookmum,

I decided like you to upgrade to a better camera only last week after getting inspiration from this thread.:)

Based on LJ's great advice & online research I purchased one of the super zooms that fall between the snap & go digitals & the SLR's, I didn't want a camera as large as an SLR or one I had to change lenses on, plus I wanted to keep the price reasonable.

I bought it mainly because we will be going to Alaska later this year & was really inspired by LJ's photos to get a better camera now so I can learn to use it before I go.

I purchased the Canon SX50 HS which has an amazing zoom range & so many features I don't think I'll ever use them all. I'm really pleased so far with the quality of the images I can take & also it has really good macro & video capabaility. LJ used the previous model SX40 for their holiday video & also for some of the ship shots he took as well I believe.

I was blown away by the shots people have taken with the camera on this dedicated Flickr page I found, really worth having a browse as some amazing photos on there.

It may be an option you find worth considering as well?

Whatever you choose - hope you have as much fun as I have researching the options! :D

Thank you.....I will have to look into that. Getting good shots with no heavy lenses to lug around sounds good too.

The really nice thing about the weather today was not just that it ended up being mostly sunny the whole tile we were at Hubbard, but that it was so warm that I was down to my shirt sleeves! It was probably the second warmest day of the trip, surpassed only by the perfect day at Wolverine Creek. Now on the important part - the scenery!

I know, the crew boat looked pretty big in the last photo didn't it...

untitled-1510.jpg

Mirror Mirror Icy Wall...

untitled-9336.jpg

Breaking through the ice pack (not really - it was much thinner than the other side of the island)

untitled-1514-Edit-2.jpg

First "white Thunder" calving of the day!

untitled-9357.jpg

Closer shot of the Blue Fan

untitled-9368.jpg

Winding its way down the mountain - hanging glacier and avalanche field

untitled-9387.jpg

Next up - a BIG calve!

L.J.

Once again, FANTASTIC photos......my question is, how close would you estimate you actually got to the glacier? I'm guessing the photos make it look like you were a lot closer than you actually were.

OH, and do you have a "online album" of just your photos. I'd like to show some to my husband, and he's not quite as patient as I am to also read your review along the way. ;-)

Hi L.J. - With all your knowledge regarding lenses and settings for taking photos, I'm hoping you can give me some advice about editing. I have a few pictures from my Alaska trips that I'm really proud of and would like to frame. I have photoshop and lightroom but have no experience in using them to enhance my shots. Is there a quick and easy way to use these programs to make my photos look...LOL..."professional?"

Some of them look great to me as they are, but I've been told they could be made to really "pop" if I edited them using one of these programs. Any help you could give would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Di

Maybe LJ can help more, but from my experimenting w/ Lightroom, it's not easy but it can all be undone! If I have a nice shot I usually have a professional lab print it and color correct it for me. I am about to calibrate my monitor so it's ready for my Alaska photos, haha. Good luck!

Mr. LJ hello again from NJ you shhot great stuff setting the bar high for me to try to keep up when I am in Alaska... I posted a pic of mine the other day as a thumbnail to check out..

Now for todays question when in glacier bay would you rater be high on the ship or on the BOW. I have the big boy toys so distance is not a problem... Would like to see what you think. I think my girl is going to dump me over board because I am going to go picture man.

She figured out the other day how much i spent to (upgrade some camera stuff) LOL Good conversation here... thank you all

Stay low

A snowy owl on the eing is definitely on my dream list of shots to take - and I've never seen any owl in the wild;). I have a better shot at getting to Australia:D!

L.J.

I've never seen an owl in the wild either! We have gotten lots of snow recently so I was hoping one would pop up on the lakefront, but so far no luck. :(