2012 July 6-20 Alaska Land and Cruise Adventure Review with LOTS of photos!

WalleyeLJ

What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. What wildlife are you most interest/excited in seeing in Alaska?

• Brown/Grizzly Bears
    • Wolves
    • Lynx
    • Puffins
    • Bald Eagles
    • Humpback Whales
    • Mountain Goats
    • Dall Sheep
    • Orca/Killer Whales
    • Harbor Seals
    • Sea Otters
    • Moose
    • Sea Lions
    • Other

Well, its time...the last post of the trip...(same say "boo!" and some say "about time!" - to both sides I say "Amen!")

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read part of even all of our trip review. Your kind words and encouragement were a great help and inspiration. I know several people have mentioned that our trip review has helped them look forward to or even helped in the planning of their own trip to Alaska. That was the intent of doing my first trip review, because people posting before me, be a short post on a single point of information, excursion, or travel tip, or a full on review of their own adventures, were a huge help and terrific inspiration for putting our trips together. For folks considering Alaska, or looking to return, find the things that interest you, look at all the options, sometimes find others to share in the adventure (fishing charters come to mind if you have less than 4 - see "L.J. & Bev - North to Alaska - The Rush Is On" coming to the CC Alaska forum near you soon!), and plan for anything to change, especially the weather. We've been very lucky with weather in Alaska so far, but even then we've had it affect some plans. Don't look at it as a bad thing - think of it as part of the adventure!!! For those interested and our first Alaska adventure, I will post the link to the thread here once I get it started. Even as this post ages, if anyone reads through it and has any questions, please feel free to post on here, or you can email me as well - ljweslowski@gmail.com. Good luck, have fun, and May The North Be With You!

Bev & L.J.

I am one of those who is sad to see this end but thank you so much for your enjoyable review LJ. You've given me great ideas for an awesome trip this summer. I can't wait to read about Island Wings in your next review.

Happy Sailings to you & Bev! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking us along on your fantastic Alaska adventure. It was so much fun enjoying the sights you encountered along the way. I now have so many great ideas for my future Alaska trips thanks to you. :D

I'll be checking back regularly for your 2009 review for more of your spectacular photos and narrative. Please don't make me wait too long. :)

Thanks Fishfish! Will this be your first trip to Alaska, and with a username like that, are you planning on fishing:D?

L.J.

Yes, this will be our first trip to Alaska...and yes, plan on fishing every chance I get!! Had to go with FishFish because Fisherqueen was taken :o Thanks again for your review. Your photos are great. The ones of the Homer Spit bathed in golden light made me gasp they are so beautiful!! I loved reading about y'all's trip and I know I will be reading your review over and over again..

Yes, this will be our first trip to Alaska...and yes, plan on fishing every chance I get!! Had to go with FishFish because Fisherqueen was taken :o Thanks again for your review. Your photos are great. The ones of the Homer Spit bathed in golden light made me gasp they are so beautiful!! I loved reading about y'all's trip and I know I will be reading your review over and over again..

Fishfish have a great time and may your lines be tight - we've loved every fishing trip we've taken in Alaska. We're planning on some river/stream fishing for Silver salmon next time (Bev loves those waders!), and some more halibut! That night on the overlook in in Homer was one of those great times that drive photographers - like the magic of the moment a fish hits your line, or that one great golf shot in a round that brings you back the next time:D.

L.J.

Fishfish have a great time and may your lines be tight - we've loved every fishing trip we've taken in Alaska. We're planning on some river/stream fishing for Silver salmon next time (Bev loves those waders!), and some more halibut! That night on the overlook in in Homer was one of those great times that drive photographers - like the magic of the moment a fish hits your line, or that one great golf shot in a round that brings you back the next time:D.

L.J.

I hope we can put together a fishing trip in Alaska. It's Spring fishing season now here in Texas. I know exactly what you mean about that magic moment. Pure joy. sfishing.gif

Hello all here is a Lense question for the man with all the great pics. I have a canon 100 to 400 slide lense USM

I can have acess ro a Tamrom 200 to 500 for my trip is it needed or is the canon good..

Thoughts please

JD,

I think you'll be fine with the Canon 100-400.

L.J.

What a FANTASTIC trip!!!

First off, I have to apologize to those who started following my attempted "live from" thread I started at the beginning of our trip. I figured I would have the time, energy and internet access to make a decent attempt, but between our schedule, internet connection speed and once on the ship - cost - it just didn't work out after my first few entries. So, for those who started there and decided to check out our post trip, there will be a bit of duplication in the beginning, but I'll put some additional detail and a bunch more photos into this review.

Now...on to the review!

*A quick outline before I dive into the details. My wife Beverly & I spent a week on the Kenai Peninsula, staying in Anchorage on arrival night, then heading to Homer for three days, a day trip to Soldotna on the way to Seward, three days in Seward, then departing on Radiance of the Seas southbound to Vancouver. If you have any questions along the way, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!

Ok, here we go!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 Friday 7/6/12 – headed to Anchorage! No photos worth posting on Day 1. I promise there will be a few later on;) We flew US Airways from Charlotte to Phoenix, then Phoenix to Anchorage. Last year when I started setting this trip up, I thought that would be a good thing. We had $1300 in credit vouchers from a flight bump on last year's cruise out of San Juan (that was STILL a good thing). In addition, last summer US Air had 5 flights a day to Anchorage to choose from, including a couple non-stops from Philadelphia. I figured we'd be able to book a short hop to Philly, then fly straight to Anchorage.

Not this year!

For whatever reason, US Air only has a single flight to Anchorage each day this year.

One flight...

Through Phoenix...

Leaving at 8:05pm...

Arriving in Anchorage at 12:33am...

Sigh:rolleyes:

So, we didn't leave Charlotte for Alaska until 4:35pm - which just seemed like a weird plan:eek:. On the other hand, we got two tickets from Charlotte to Anchorage, and Seattle to Charlotte for a total of $217, so it was a no brainer:D. Before we left, the departure from Phoenix was moved up to 7:50pm - so things were already improving! We were also able to use miles to upgrade the first leg of our trip from Charlotte to Phoenix to first class, so it was a nice way to start the trip. We even had dinner on the flight - Bev had cheese ravioli and I had teriyaki beef. When it came out, it didn't look super appealing - like just short of making me rethink my dislike of the mushrooms in Bev's dish, but it actually turned out pretty tasty. We had a little less than a two hour layover, and then off to Anchorage. Both flights went well, each arriving early (whaoo!) which we needed. Our flight arrived in Anchorage at 11:58pm, so while it was ahead of schedule, it was also 3:58am in North Carolina, so we were a bit weary!

By the time we got bags (quick off the plane), rental car (Avis at the airport - quick and easy), check in to the Embassy Suites in Anchorage (yea free night thanks to points!) and got to bed, it was 2am/6am. The hotel and the room was excellent. A little more earthy/outdoorsy than your average Embassy Suites. Unfortunately we couldn't elect to sleep in late to try and get our feet under us or enjoy the hotel fully as we had to be in Homer mid-afternoon to check in for our first big adventure of the trip. NOT the best way to start a trip to Alaska. At least it's almost time for breakfast!

L.J.

THANKS, this was awesome. You are extremely generous to spend so much time on this review. Your pics are incredible! We are in the process of deciding where to go next summer for our 20th anniversary. Your review has definitely moved Alaska to the top of the list.

Thank You, just isn't enough.

I have loved reading this review. Great pictures. Would you happen to remember how much it cost to ship your fish home? Do you happen to know if there are any restaurants that will cook your fish fresh for you after you catch it. I have seen that in other areas that I have traveled to but do not know about Alaska.

Here is what we plan LJ thanks for good advise...

Doing Cruise Tour #6 Due to the first alaska trip we did a cruise tour.. Next time we do it all on our own

July 1 Arrive Fairbanks 9pm Staying at Hotel Sophie Station

July 2 Doing the tours that the cruise line has included Plus a flight trip to the artic circle...

July 3 Going to Denali via Train and Denali tour... Some type of fish bake Staying at McKinley Village

July 4 Denali Early am Helicopter Glacier landing.. and either a ATV ride or rafting

July 5th Bus Ride and than Boat day WOO HOOO

July 6th At sea Big day for pictures of the Glacier... where to stand...

July 7th Juneau harv & marvs outback whale watching am Than Salmon fishing afternoon. Plus some drinking

July 8th Skagway Early am Ziplining than Walking tour with stops in the red light area...

July 9th ISP Rain Forest Bear sight seeing (thank you volunter cruiser) Lunch and photos

July 10 Ketchikan Flight seeing with Island wings... Than a private tour with Rick of the wildlife in the area.. He is a local operator

July 11th At sea

Than 2 days in Vancouver... I know we are missing some things but this is the pre plan going to be fun

Thanks for reading Justin

This is the same CT we went on. It's a great time, I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There a couple of other new restaurants on Radiance that I've mentioned but we did not try - Izumi's and Rita's Cantina. While we did not eat at either this trip, I did want to get a couple of photos so people could at least see what they look like. They are each located in parts of what use to be part of The Windjammer, between the newly condensed part of the Windjammer and the outside seating area at the very back of Deck 11. For folks that have been on Radiance in the past but not since the renovations, this is a bit of a chance - especially in terms of the WJ being even MORE crowded than it already was on busy days, particularly embarkation day. These two options are available for a fee - $3 per person plus ala carte pricing for some menu items, and $5 per person for Izumi, plus ala carte pricing for some menu items. One thing to remember is that you cannot get to the rear deck open air covered seating area on the fantail to eat from Windjammer staying on Deck 11 without going through one of these two spaces. Even though they are "closed" much of the time, you can always walk through them and head out to the great dining space if the weather is good enough - and you'll have a great chance of finding a seat out there.

Here's the entrance to Izumi. If you are standing in the Windjammer and facing the rear of the ship, Izumi is located on the right back corner of the WJ. Rita's Cantina is located in the same spot of the opposite side in the left rear corner of the WJ.

We ate at both of those when we were on the ship. I wish we would have tried Izumi earlier because we would definitely eaten there more than once.

Rita's was fantastic. While the masses were standing at the buffet we were able to sit and have a nice quiet lunch at Rita's. I had a burrito and it it was shockingly good (pulled pork). The chips weren't much to brag about but everything else was really good.

Of course, having GIANT margaritas makes it that much better =)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Freehike

I just came across your review early this evening, and now it is nearly midnight and I have just finished reading! I have oohed and aahed at all of your wonderful wildlife and landscape photos, and stopped to read parts and show photos to my husband Bill.

We are doing a B2B Alaska cruise next year, plus 10 days of our own explorations in Alaska beforehand, and your review has made me more excited than I already was!! I got some great tips and ideas on what to expect. So thank you for the huge amount of time and effort you obviously put into your review. I have already done a lot of research for our Alaskan trip already, and have booked a few excursions. I am so excited to see bears!! I can't wait!

Bill has to keep reminding me not to get so far ahead of myself and enjoy this year's vacation first - we are off to Africa in 4 weeks time!

Thanks for the photos of Radiance as well - we are sailing her for Christmas this year, she looks like a beautiful ship.

Thank you again for a very entertaining evening!

Once we had cleared Creek Street, my parents took a few minutes to rest on one of the benches right next to the bridge that spans the creek and divides it from the main Small Boat Harbor. I took a bunch more photos of Dolly's House and spots along the Creek from our location on the other side, but I won't post any more on here as the spots weren't different, just the perspective. One thing that was cool was this sign right next to the bridge which not only shows the species of Pacific Salmon found in the area, but also has a live viewing camera under the bridge so that you can see the salmon when they are making their runs up the Creek - very cool when the fish are in!

344770048-5687078.jpg

The group refreshed, when continued back towards where we got off the bus to complete the loop - plus we weren't sure where the next closest bus stop was besides that one! It turned out to be right behind us across the bridge and just past the start of the Creek Street boardwalk entrance, but we didn't know that at the time! While on our way to the stop, I spied this gentleman ahead of us, walking along with his fresh catch...

2012Alaska-3304_zps90a1231d.jpg

The bus stop was across the street where the fisherman was walking, but before I crossed over, I went to grab another shot of the tall totem pole that was near the north start to Creek Street since the sun was out and the skies were a bit clearer than when we first went by.

588269056-4731830_zps4218c30b.jpg

I went scouting to look for another bus stop on the other side of the road, but missed it by a block. So, after a few minutes we headed back to our original goal, the stop we got off at, since we knew it would come by there again, and my parents weren't up for the walk back to the ship. I stopped and got some ice cream, so I was lagging behind a bit, but it allowed me to get a shot of our bus stop to show how close it was to the big totem pole, the north entrance to Creek Street, and the Cape Fox funicular on the hill beyond.

Bev & Mom in the lower right-hand corner at the bus stop...

652396032-7689737_zps86c72755.jpg

The totem pole & funicular

2012Alaska-3318_zps64c6f51c.jpg

A few short minutes later, the bus came along and we hooped on board. We ended up passing the south end of Creek Street again and taking a left and running up the hillside to Totem Heritage Center where the route ended and headed back down to Creek Street and then back to the ship. We hopped off the bus and got my parents pointed back towards the ship (pretty easy as you can see!), while we planned on exploring the downtown waterfront and shops before we finished up our last port of call.

682673664-6082579_zps19da74c4.jpg

L.J.

Hi L.J.

Been enjoying your stories and pictures. I was surprised to see your blog going into 2013. I'm glad as my Radiance trip is coming up in May.

I have a question regarding Ketchikan and getting to Creek Street. Is it walking distance from the port? If not, did you happen to notice if the bus was wheelchair accessible? I use a mobility scooter to get around town. My legs aren't as strong as they use to be.

Thanks again for all the info.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi L.J.

Been enjoying your stories and pictures. I was surprised to see your blog going into 2013. I'm glad as my Radiance trip is coming up in May.

I have a question regarding Ketchikan and getting to Creek Street. Is it walking distance from the port? If not, did you happen to notice if the bus was wheelchair accessible? I use a mobility scooter to get around town. My legs aren't as strong as they use to be.

Thanks again for all the info.

Hi Calkid,

I'm sorry for my delay in responding. For some reason, Bev & I have stopped getting notifications of new posts here! Our distance from Radiance in Berth 3 to the upper end of Creek Street was 0.41 miles (mapping thanks to our friends at Google Earth!). In addition, the buses used in Ketchikan are all ADA accessible (my day job is a public transit manager and we have the same buses they use there). The sidewalks and pedesrian crosswalks are pretty good in Ketchikan, so you should be able to navigate with your scooter fairly easily - depending on how many ships are in port that day. In addition, the area from the pier to Creek Street is generally fairly flat until you get past/above Creek Street. I hope that helps a little and that you have agreat trip.

To all the other posters - I'll try and catch up soon!

L.J.

Now that we'd broke the ice, we started to see bears all over. Several were way away from us to the south, but we circled counterclockwise away to the right. A short while later we happened upon this pretty blonde bear:

2012Alaska-6692.jpg

Here's a shot of one of the other groups ahead of us and how close they were to the bear:

2012Alaska-6697.jpg

We moved up alongside the first group and got our own front row view:

2012Alaska-6703.jpg

2012Alaska-6712.jpg

This bear was less than 100 feet away - but we'd get closer yet!!!

L.J.

Best pictures I have ever seen on here!

L.J. & Bev,

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful Alaskan adventure with all of us. Will the 2009 adventure by continued on this thread or will you start a new thread?

world,

Great question - I'll be posting a new thread, but noting it on here so any folks subscribed will be ablee to follow it.

L.J.

THANKS, this was awesome. You are extremely generous to spend so much time on this review. Your pics are incredible! We are in the process of deciding where to go next summer for our 20th anniversary. Your review has definitely moved Alaska to the top of the list.

Thank You, just isn't enough.

Laura,

Thanks so much! I'm sure there are other great options on your list for next year, but at the least you have a great time if you decide to go ahead and book Alaska. Congratulations and Happy 20th!!!

L.J.

I have loved reading this review. Great pictures. Would you happen to remember how much it cost to ship your fish home? Do you happen to know if there are any restaurants that will cook your fish fresh for you after you catch it. I have seen that in other areas that I have traveled to but do not know about Alaska.

The two times we've shipped fish home it was from Icy Strait Point, and they seem to be cheaper and more flexible than other places we looked into. Last summer (July 2012) we ended up paying about $5/pound, with our charter captain handling the fish cleaning. In some places there was a $75 minimum, so if you only caughta few pouinds of fish, it could be pretty pricey. That said - the more youu catch, the less the price per pound in those other ports:).

L.J.

Sorry - I missed the second question! I'm not sure of restaurants in port. I know that while RCI won't cook your catch onboard, I've read that Princess will (I don't know if you have to do an excursion through the ship to do that or not).

L.J.