Transfer from Budapest airport to boat

Jimmyfan

Some have said they used Dollars...what do you think..:confused:

I agree with Caviargal, If you are going to be in Budapest more then just a day....I would recommend using the ATM and getting some Forints. It is much easier to make purchases and you get a better exchange rate at the ATM. In the 3 days pre cruise we were in Budapest, we used the ATM twice to withdraw Forints and other times used our Capital One Credit Card at "reputable" locations as there are no Foreign Transaction Fees associated with it's use.

If you use Euro's or try to use US dollars when paying for meals etc, to us it is more difficult to quickly determine if we were getting change back in the correct amt. based on what the restaurant or place of business uses as an exchange rate. When we started doing more International Travel, we found the Capital One Credit Card/ ATM Card very useful as they allow you "X" amt. of ATM withdrawls per month with no service fees as well as no Foreign Transaction fees associated with credit card usage. I am sure there are other creditcards that have similar features ( Sapphire Blue Preferred and some Airline Club Credit Cards). It is personal preference, but we like ATM's.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought we would pop in and say, "Thanks." We are booked with Pulai for our October trip and can't wait. We wouldn't have known about him without this forum. And, he takes Euros (which we have) so we won't have to change any money till we get into town.

Did any of you use him for touring as well as airport/boat runs?

Does anyone know of a limo/taxi service that will pick us up at the airport and bring us to the boat? Viking is charging $120 one way for this and for that price I am thinking I could go in luxury instead of a bus! Also we are going to to take the train from Nuremberg to Munich and was wondering if taxi cabs are available right off the boat. Thanks!

Viking is making good money on this one! We are about to go to Budapest airport from the city and the hotel has set rates for taxi of 6200 HUF which is about $28 Australian. Very reasonable considering it is a 30-40 min ride.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are up for an adventure you can do what we did before the Grand European Tour. Got forints from atm. Bought bus tickets at airport. Took bus to Metro Station. Bought tickets. Rode metro to city. Got off near our hotel. Walked from hotel to ship across bridge under repair. One of the best times we have ever had.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know of a limo/taxi service that will pick us up at the airport and bring us to the boat? Viking is charging $120 one way for this and for that price I am thinking I could go in luxury instead of a bus! Also we are going to to take the train from Nuremberg to Munich and was wondering if taxi cabs are available right off the boat. Thanks!

we just booked with Viking and ending our cruise in Budapest. Viking providing transfers 'free' since we booked our air through them.

• 5 weeks later...
If you are up for an adventure you can do what we did before the Grand European Tour. Got forints from atm. Bought bus tickets at airport. Took bus to Metro Station. Bought tickets. Rode metro to city. Got off near our hotel. Walked from hotel to ship across bridge under repair. One of the best times we have ever had.

Hi mysusie45, we're from Bonney Lake, WA and will be going on the Romance of the Blue Danube next July, which begins in Budapest. Your idea above sounds fun, but weren't you tired after flying in from Seattle? I just don't see myself having the energy to do this, although hubby and I are only in our early 40's. Can you share with me what hotel you stayed at (we're coming in a day early) and if you enjoyed it? Thanks!

Yes, we were tired after flying into Frankfurt and then to Budapest. You might think we're crazy but half the fun of a new place for us is jumping right into the local culture. I had researched using Trip Advisor and asking questions there too. Knew exactly where to buy tickets etc. Only problem was we got turned around in the underground station in town and came out the wrong exit.

We had reservations at the Ibis Hotel near the big market. It isn't a deluxe hotel by any means but was clean and convenient. It is part of a worldwide chain. Stayed there for 2 nights and walked all over the city to the Jewish Quarter etc. all on our own. Found a wonderful Greek restaurant for dinner. We are daily walkers here so all that walking and wasn't a problem for us at 60 and 63.

That adventure prompted us to rent a motorhome this last spring and travel all over France and Germany for a month.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Archived