best excursion in Ketchican

blakethan

Kayak tour. You can kayak right in Downtown Ketchikan or take a longer, more open-water tour. We did ours with Southeast Sea Kayaks at Orcas Cove.

I just figured I'd come back and let you know how it went - it was AMAZING! We did the Orca Cove kayak (7 miles out of town). Southeast Sea Kayaks takes only 6 people on each tour - otherwise, it takes too long to get everyone outfitted, they say- but we were the only 2 who booked it. So it was me, DH, and our guide Brandon. It was a gorgeous, sunny day - who'd have figured that we'd get sunburned in Ketchikan! Other than the 2 salmon boats we saw, there wasn't another soul around. We saw bald eagles and jumping salmon. The views were magnificent, and the water beautiful. They also served us the most delicious smoked salmon - we bought a case to ship home.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat!

Hey, Lynda! See you're still touting your great day with these guys two years later! That speaks volumes about the company and your experience! :D

We DID do the drive your own zodiac boats with KO, also in 2010, and had a great morning. Got skunked seeing any big wildlife (no whales or bears) but still saw beautiful scenery, eagles up close and personal (you'd have thought they were trained) and just had a blast. Can highly recommend this as another option to what AIP did.

We also did the zodiacs with KO just this month, and we had Lee as our guide. It was a great trip even though the weather was rainy (typical???)- just us and another couple, but they let each couple have their own zodiac with Lee in the lead. We saw eagles and seals, and amazings scenary, but the ride was probably my favorite part. They prepared you with great waterproof gear, and when you're back, they welcome you with hot beverages and snacks.

Highly recommend this tour.

We are doing the Wild Saxman Deluxe tour in Ketchikan with Klondike Tours. It sort of gives a good overall tour of the area, with time to walk around a bit after the tour, before going back to the ship. The cost was $45 pp. They have a website.

I'd give another vote for Southeast Sea Kayaks and the Orca Cove Trip. They keep the groups to 6 or less - we had 5 in our group. I was worried about whether it would be miserable to kayak in the rain, but they outfitted everyone so well that we were completely comfortable in the rain. The scenery was beautiful, our guide Brandon was great, and everyone in our group had a great time. We also saw dall's porpoises on the way out, killer whales on the way back, and an eagle swoop down and catch a salmon while we were kayaking. I wouldn't bank on the wildlife since I think it is hit or miss, but the trip would have been worth it even without the wildlife. They were an awesome bonus though! Great trip and great company!

The "Romance Package" with Ketchikan outdoors was our most disappointing excursion when we went in June of this year! The people who run it are very nice and I'm sure their Zodiac tours would be a blast. We didn't get to to go to Blank Island because of the rougher water. Instead we got to go to what my husband and I refer to as "Trash Island." It is a place where there is some old "abandoned" miner's cabin-which didn't appear to be abandoned at all. There were boards with nails, empty gallon milk jugs, plastic containers, old thrown away buoys and nets, an outhouse that was falling down,and trash all inside that cabin that was right by our campsite. If you don't like salmon-you won't like the picnic because there is only salmon spread with soft crackers and marshmallows to toast. There was coffee, cocoa, juice, and water-which were great. There was a decapitated seal decomposing on the beach about 12 feet from our campfire. The campfire was directly in front of the little awning set up to keep us out of the rain. Unfortunately the wind blew the campfire smoke directly into the awning. Everything we took back to the ship smelled like the campfire, but all of it would have been wet if it weren't for the awning. Even though this is a private excursion-you are not picked up at the ship or transported to or from their office. When we got off the ship and went to their office-it was an abandoned building! Frantically, I had to find their phone number and call them. Their old building had flooded and they moved to a new place-which was even further away for us to walk- but they couldn't get in touch with me to let me know that?? We only stayed on trash island for 2 hours. I will say that Capt. Tab gave us a bit of a nice tour around the harbor on the way back and he threw out a fish which an eagle came swooping down to get. That was awesome! Tab kept telling us how they were going to clean up that area where our campsite was, but they just didn't do it yet. He is a knowledgeable guy with a great love for Alaska-his wife was very sweet, but for the money spent-this wasn't any special exclusive excursion.

That is disappointing.

We are doing the Wild Saxman Deluxe tour in Ketchikan with Klondike Tours. It sort of gives a good overall tour of the area, with time to walk around a bit after the tour, before going back to the ship. The cost was $45 pp. They have a website.

I'm guessing this is in Skagway and not Ketchikan -right?

In your opinion, what is the best excursion in Ketchican that does not include a flight plane?

just curious why would you NOT want to do a flight

we are going in 11 days out first cruise and I thougth a flight was the way to go:confused:

I'm guessing this is in Skagway and not Ketchikan -right?

You are correct. We have a tour booked in Skagway with Klondike Tours. It is called Dolly's Wild Adventure.

Our tour in Ketchikan is with Northern Tours of AK and is called the Deluxe Saxman.

just curious why would you NOT want to do a flight

we are going in 11 days out first cruise and I thougth a flight was the way to go:confused:

I'm not the person who posted, but I can tell you why we didn't - we hate small planes. We get plane-sick. I know it's probably irrational, but we've also read all the reports of small plane crashes in Alaska and don't want to take those chances. (Please don't flame; I admitted that it's likely irrational.)

No flames here, I totally understand. I'm not much on small planes (or large for that matter!), so I know how you feel. I'm sure that is the same reason OP asked for no recommendations for flightseeing. Flying isn't for everyone, and those fears can be tremendous. I get that. I've done several floatplane trips in Alaska - only because I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't. And it was fine - a bit bumpy tho heading over to Neets Bay from Ketchikan last year. I'll admit I was nervous (especially because I did the excursion without DH, who didn't come to Alaska with me last year). Fortunately, a kind young man who was flying with his Mom and younger sister sat next to me and took me under his wing. It was very comforting to have someone with me who understood my fears, and took my mind off them!

We just did the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast thru the cruise line last week and we loved it. The bus ride to the lodge was good - driver was very informative. We enjoyed the boat ride to where the crab pots were and DH got to pull up the crab pot and we all held crabs. We saw eagles but did not see any bears. The meal at the lodge was excellent. It was DH's and DD's birthdays that day and they brought out their crab with birthday candles in it.

Last trip we did Misty Fjords with Island Wings and loved that as well. We wanted to do something a little different this time.

• 2 weeks later...
Best depends on what you like to do.

I did a tour last week with Wild Wolf Tours. We hiked through Tongass National Forest (which was really beautiful and unique since it's a temperate rainforest) and then went to Totem Bright State Park.

Tracy was a great guide. She's a local and you can tell she's passionate and knowledgeable about the area. I would highly recommend any of her tours. And they're a great value.

http://www.wildwolftours.com/

Thanks for the information. We're undecided about what to do in Ketchikan on this trip so I will check them out!

You are correct. We have a tour booked in Skagway with Klondike Tours. It is called Dolly's Wild Adventure.

Our tour in Ketchikan is with Northern Tours of AK and is called the Deluxe Saxman.

Thank you! I will check out Northern Tours too!

I just finished Ketchikan Taxicab Tours with Dave Freeman and his wife Kat. They were terrific, first rate from the first contact to the end of the tour. In September you get the salmon streams, eagles, waterfalls and rainforest. They can handle large groups or smaller groups in 6 passenger taxis (vans) and have no problem handle guests with mobility problems. Our group was quite happy with them and had an excellent time.

We were in Ketchikan on the 13th and we did the Wilderness Exploration and Crab feast..OMGosh..We ate the best crab I can EVER remember having @ the George Inlet Lodge on this tour..ALL YOU Can Eat..w/ blueberry cheesecake for dessert..There is another tour that includes the carb feast..all I can say is DO IT..weather was rainy and nasty but the crab made up for it..

LOL!! Polar bears not included?!! :D

We did snorkel in Ketchikan. We had on wet suits and it was different. We lucked out with 70 degree weather( in September). The water actually felt good. People do look at you funny when you say you snorkeled in Alaska.I am not going to lie, but it was hard work, they told us we used up a 1000 calories. After being on a cruise for 6 days I needed that.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear it made the list - we'll be doing the same kayak tour in just a few days - can't believe it's here already! :eek:

Hope you check back on this - if so, could you let me know how this was? Or if anyone else has done it, please chime in! thanks much!

Hope you check back on this - if so, could you let me know how this was? Or if anyone else has done it, please chime in! thanks much!

Sorry for the delay - I have to say that we LOVED it! We were the only two on our tour, and Brandon was an amazing guide. We did the sea kayaking in Orca Cove. We went at our own pace into small coves with the most beautiful cliffs, saw bald eagles feeding on jumping salmon, and didn't see anyone except a fishing boat. They then fed us smoked wild salmon, cream cheese and crackers. It was the best excursion we had.

Sorry for the delay - I have to say that we LOVED it! We were the only two on our tour, and Brandon was an amazing guide. We did the sea kayaking in Orca Cove. We went at our own pace into small coves with the most beautiful cliffs, saw bald eagles feeding on jumping salmon, and didn't see anyone except a fishing boat. They then fed us smoked wild salmon, cream cheese and crackers. It was the best excursion we had.

Thanks much!

Archived