Port of Everglades, flying home out of PBI. is it worth saving the money?

woodsmen

Depends how much money as well as other factors. $100 pp for 2 poeople, no I wouldn't bother. We had 4 people so found those savings worth it. I found a more appealing flight time out of PBI compared to FLL after our last cruise as well.

How were you planning on getting from Port Everglades to PBI? It is about 45 miles so simply hailing a cab at the port will be very expensive. You can pre-arrange a limo / super shuttle but double check that they have authorization to enter Port Everglades (not all do).

There are other, less convenient, means to get between the two. Tri-rail operates in the general area but you need to be able to get to the stations in both Ft. Lauderdale and near PBI. You could also rent a car and return it at the airport.

I flew home from PBI once after Port Everglades, thought I had plenty of time to spare.... and nearly missed the flight.

There were four of us and the air fare savings covered the rental car cost many times over.

We got off the ship early but then waited nearly 40 minutes for the National Car Rental shuttle.

Made it to PBI in good time but then the National agent locked the keys in the rental car and blamed me. They wouldn't let me leave the rental car return area (like I was going to unlock the car?).

Finally I just left and said you guys figure it out. We made the flight with minutes to spare. Saved money - yes. Worth it - NO!

Never heard anything from National afterwards.

One thing to consider is how much time you will be spending in the airport itself. Palm Beach is far cleaner and has better amenities (restaurants, indoor putting green, bars, etc.). Finally, as the airport does not cater to cruise business it has far less crowds on days that the ships are in port which is important when considering things such as planes being overbooked, finding a place to sit down, less families with kids running around, etc.

Because of flight schedule and price, we booked one leg of our flight into PBI and our return flight out of FLL. We are relaxed travelers and this worked out perfectly for us. (meaning we dont stress out and are capable of go with the flow) We came into PBI the night prior our cruise and rented a car (online discount website, I think $20) and drove ourselves to the hotel. This was nice because we arrived early in the day so we had the car for site seeing and diner, etc. In the morning we drove down and dropped the car off at FLL and took short cab to the port. This was very easy, no lines or hassles encountered. We got an early start to avoid crowds/traffic and were at the port by 10:30am. After the cruise we took taxi from the port to FLL for the flight home. Easy peasy.

One thing to consider is how much time you will be spending in the airport itself. Palm Beach is far cleaner and has better amenities (restaurants, indoor putting green, bars, etc.). Finally, as the airport does not cater to cruise business it has far less crowds on days that the ships are in port which is important when considering things such as planes being overbooked, finding a place to sit down, less families with kids running around, etc.

Damn, I missed out on the putting green? LOL I agree with all this though. The airport was just so easy to deal with. We had no line at security, the TSA were actually smiling, and we didn't even go through the imaging scanners, just the regular old fashioned "metal detectors". It wouldn't at all surprise me that we were at our gate quicker than someone getting in their cab at Port Everglades at the same time as us and going to FLL while we went to PBI.

We might be cruising out of Miami this January, and I'm still seriously considering flying home from PBI because the 130pm flight from there sounds better than 155pm from MIA or chancing the 1115am from FLL.

I kid you not:

west-palm-airport-putt.jpg

Have a couple of beers while challenging the rest of your party to a couple holes of golf while waiting for your flight.

I wonder where that is. We only went straight to our gate in C and didn't wander around. Wish I had now LOL. Judging by the view out the window, I'm guessing it's to the right before entering the C concourse, after security.

Some insight here would help. thanks.

We've never flown out of PBI before but we are going to give it a try. FLL was nearly $200/person more expensive for our return on 12/30. (I wasn't going to try to make the 9:45 flight from FLL). There are 3 of us and the rental car was only $45 before tax. The flight from PBI is around 5:00 pm, so we'll go for a ride, stop at the beach and have some lunch. For about $500 savings after all expenses we'll go in the afternoon from PBI. The airfare was already expensive and I don't fell like giving Delta any more money.

We've never flown out of PBI before but we are going to give it a try. FLL was nearly $200/person more expensive for our return on 12/30. (I wasn't going to try to make the 9:45 flight from FLL). There are 3 of us and the rental car was only $45 before tax. The flight from PBI is around 5:00 pm, so we'll go for a ride, stop at the beach and have some lunch. For about $500 savings after all expenses we'll go in the afternoon from PBI. The airfare was already expensive and I don't fell like giving Delta any more money.

We flew in and out of PBI in February and it was a great. For our 5pm flight, we were able to visit with friends in Weston and then make a leisurely drive to the airport. We even stopped by West Palm Beach and worth Ave still making it to the airport almost two hours prior. Even the car rental places are a short shuttle ride. We rented a one way rental from Fort Lauderdale Airport for the day for about $35. We saved hundreds doing it this way.

I wonder where that is. We only went straight to our gate in C and didn't wander around. Wish I had now LOL. Judging by the view out the window, I'm guessing it's to the right before entering the C concourse, after security.

Actually it is adjacent to a restaurant / bar before security.

Archived