Constellaion or the Grand Princess?

Micheller

Which is better - Constellation on a 14 night Scandinavia cruise for a family with two kids aged 11 and 8 or a 12 night Med cruise with the Grand Princess? We are looking at an ordinary outside cabin for 4 in the August holidays. Appreciate any comments?

I would say it depends if you want to see the Med or Scandinavia. Either one would be great. Having sailed both I give the edge to Celebrity, but the Princess cruise would be wonderful as well.

Since it is port intensive, I would go for the Grand for one important reason. The reson is I would choose Personal Choice Dining, that way if it is a late port you can have dinner whenever you return. The pools are fresh water and open 24 hours too (Hot tub for sore muscles is nice). I would also add one day at each end to aid in time change plus see these port cities more. This is my opinion only.

Which is better - Constellation on a 14 night Scandinavia cruise for a family with two kids aged 11 and 8 or a 12 night Med cruise with the Grand Princess? We are looking at an ordinary outside cabin for 4 in the August holidays. Appreciate any comments?

Hi,

There is NO comparison! Constellation far exceeds the Grand Princess. We have been on both. We took Constellation in the Mediterranean 3 years ago and the Grand last December. Food on the Grand was unpalateable, service mediocre. The exact opposite of the Connie. Let me know if you need more info I've got quite a bit on each ship. Vicki

I agree that the first consideration is which itinerary interests you more. After that, I might think about the Grand with your kids. We were on the Summit last summer in Alaska, and found the kid's program pretty weak for that age group. It was nice on our Caribbean cruise (ours were 11 & 9), but seemed like on the more port intensive cruise, with kids doing more with their families, they watered down the kids' programs - doing less, combining all the ages, etc. Our kids really did not enjoy it much. From what I've heard from friends who've been on Princess, their kids really enjoy themselves.

Also, the dining issue is a consideration. While the food on Celebrity was fine, we hardly found it "great" and can't say that we would pick that line based on food alone. And, if you miss your dining time, you're options at night are pretty limited. The buffet area becomes more like a sit-down restaurant, where you need reservations and if you get back late or decide you want to eat there at the last minute it can be difficult to get in. And, while room service is okay, it's not the easiest or most satisfying for a family of four in a cabin. So, there's something to be said for the options that Princess offers, even if the food isn't gourmet.

JMHO (and I have 13 yo son), but I wouln't take kids this young on either of itineraries. Not every adult will stay "sane";) so much intensive and tiring they are. And I am not even talking about Transatlantic flights. Med cruise was the only one cruise when we didn't bring our kid with us.

As an aside, we have traveled quite a bit with our two children (including overseas and Alaska). I think that we all know our own children best, and while it doesn't work for everyone, the trips have been great experiences for our kids and we wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, it can also be argued that the more you expose them to from an early age, the easier they are to be with and the better behaved aslo. They're not always as thrilled about everything, but are quite comfortable with and know what's expected of them when it comes to dress, behavior, manners, etc. on trips, in restaurants, concerts, etc. It's not to say we don't do our fair share of "fun" stuff too (Disney, beaches, fun cruises, etc.) and even on the more "educational" type trips try to mix in a good dose of fun things and keep it at a pace and level that takes them into consideration. And we certainly appreciate and enjoy our "adult" time also. We will in fact be taking them at 12 & 10 on a Northern Baltics cruise this summer, and based on experience have no reservations whatsoever.

Another consideration if you are going with family is that GP has self-service launderies on board and for a 2 week cruise that could help cut down on the amount of clothes you need to pack. Yes, I wouldn't select a cruise for that reason alone but it does make Princess more appealing. And by the way, I have always found the food on Princess quite good. My last Celebrity cruise had me wondering wha all the fuss is about Celebrity's. Trust me, you won't go hungry on Princess. And here's another silly thing I like about Princess. The safety drills are conducted in the theatre and lounges. No need to line up on decks.:0)

Archived