Spiriting around the Med with walking difficulties

Hi Lyn! I’m enjoying your reviews – and reliving the cruise and excursions!

I had a mobility problem, too. I knew that I needed a knee replacement and hoped that a cortisone shot, some physical therapy, ice, and some anti-inflammatory meds would keep me on my feet for the entire tour. And it did – until I stumbled and twisted my knee. I didn’t want to see the ship’s doctor but realized I could ruin the rest of the trip if something wasn’t done. A wheel chair was sent to my cabin and my daughter wheeled me down to Deck 4. Of course it was closed – 10 PM! – but a nice, efficient nurse let us in, took vitals, and called the doctor. He was very pleasant even after being disturbed so late at night. He told me that going to a hospital in Italy wasn’t the right solution (of course not!!) and suggested a shot in the hip, some stronger meds, and a cane. My daughter gave her ship key to be scanned for the cane and the meds. I did very well the next few days, actually really well until Barcelona when everything wore off and I had to be satisfied with a bus tour of that beautiful city. When we disembarked, a red flag went up when my daughter presented her key. They called security and the problem was the missing cane! I actually had it in my hand and was planning on using it on the rest of our trip. I had wrongly assumed that I bought that cane! I handed the cane over and my daughter was allowed to get off the ship. We found a pharmacy in Barcelona and bought a collapsible cane – a nice one which I’m using now while I await my doctor’s appointment next week.

Wish we had the opportunity to meet – love your descriptions!

Diane

The day where tempers got a bit frayed-this would be the 3rd day of early starts and hot and humid weather.

After our fantastic guide Taner we had great expectations of our guide for today-wife and co owner of KSG tours.

Unlike Izmir it was a short walk from the ship to the terminal building at the end of which we met Lale and driver with minivan-the group was the same 8 as the day before.

first stop was the Hippodrome where the Blue Mosque and main tourist attractions are found.Lale explained that instead of the Blue Mosque which is the usual tourist visit she would be taking us instead to the Mosque of Suleyman which is less visited as it is further out.Sounded fair until we realised later in the day that mosques are free entrance and as we passed by the entrance anyway it would have been simple to pop in to be able to compare the two.We soon realised that Lale had her own agenda for the day which was going to take up most of our sightseeing time with getting us to visit and spend money at her friends cafes and stalls!

As with the previous day Lale said she would pay entrance fees locally in lire and charge us back in euros at the end of the day.However she neglected to tell us up front what the admission charges would be and indeed that mosques were free.In communication with Kagan we had been told to budget approx 20 euros for museum admissions.

We then visited St Sophia church or Hagia Sophia which has been both an Islamic mosque and a Christian church and so the decor shows both religions.It is now a museum and well worth visiting for the wow factor of the interior .However admission fee is 20 lire-approx 11euros which was what we paid for Ephesus and Acropolis and at which we spent a lot more time

We then visited the Basilica cistern a 1500 year old underground water storage system.This was excavated in the 1970's and most of the water pumped out and converted to a museum.I found this place fascinating but there are steep steps to negotiate to get down to it-no lifts and raised walkways providing a path around the hundreds of columns .The whole area is lit and with a sound system.Around a foot of water is left and that is kept fresh by carp fish which can be seen swimming around.

Admission was 10 lire-approx 5-6 euros which I found a more reasonable cost.

OK it was now 10-30am and we'd seen a lot already so when Lale announced we had plenty of time for a visit to a Rug factory I wasn't too alarmed.After all Taner the previous day had suggested this would be worthwhile.

Lale introduced us to the snappily dressed owner who assured us that there would be no hard sell and would we like a refreshment of a local Turkish beer.Well EFES beer is one of 6 tipple at home so we said yes and settled to enjoy the show.A woman came in and showed how the knots and pattern are made as per the traditional method in her home village.I remember thinking I wonder how much she gets paid for her work and how much profit there is for this shop!

It was interesting as was the display of rugs that were brought out to show the difference between silk/mercerised cotton and wool.

All would have been fine until one couple decided they were going to purchase and then it all went downhill for the rest of us.

Lots of alternative rugs were brought out in different colours and sizes to be sure their first choice was right for them.Well at $7500 you would have to be sure wouldn't you? And how do I know the price? Well the whole transaction was carried out in front of all of us-I found that embarrassing and should have been done in private.In fact in hindsight I should have insisted those of us who weren't interested in purchasing should leave and carry on with private sightseeing.

An hour and a half later we got out of there and Lale pointed to a cafe opposite and announced we were going for lunch there-oh no we weren't!

I realised that she had not read the correspondence between myself and Kagan stressing that we were interested in sightseeing not shopping or prolonged lunch breaks

There seems to be an assumption amongst tour guides everywhere that foreign tourists want to experience an authentic local lunch washed down with beer or wine which will take up 1-2 hours.I got caught out by this on a previous tour in Italy where the tour guide suggested an "inexpensive bowl of pasta" and then took us to an restaurant where courses started at 20 euros.He then expressed surprise when we refused to order wine and "relax"-I think we interupted his proposed siesta time!

Anyway the point is that we're on a cruise ship with food available 24 hours a day-in the middle of the day all we want is a snack and sometimes if it's too hot to eat just water to rehydrate!

She seemed startled at my refusal and agreed to take us to a snack bar down the road where I ordered a freshly prepared wrap filled with kebab meat and salad.I was going to have 2 but when saw the size just asked them to cut in 2 and we shared it.A tip for eating at snack bars-if you sit down at a table the same food will cost you more-order and eat outside.

Prices are listed in euros and lire.They will take euro but your change will be in lire.I handed over 3 euro coins which was approximately the full cost of the wrap.

I mentioned before tour guide assumption no 1 which is that tourists want to eat in authentic local eateries.

Assumption number 2 is that they want to spend money on souvenirs-particularly in Turkey they have no concept of the idea of "window shopping"

Our next stop was to be the Grand Bazaar which is a huge covered market area.Lale explained that there are different areas within it for jewellry ceramics scarves etc and she would take us to the different areas and negotiate with the stall owners on our behalf.Translate she would take us to the stalls where her friends worked.

Despite the idea of bargaining it became clear that there is a minimum acceptable price. we got past the jewellry and knick knack stalls quite easily by making it clear we weren't interested in buying but went wrong at the scarves stall.One lady decided she was going to buy and it was the Turkish rug factory all over again-lots of alternative scarves brought out to tempt to buy more and more.At about $40 for the cheapest scarves I worked out this is not the place for a bargain!

The men were congregated outside the shop in the middle of the "street" as if you moved too close to a stall you would immmediately be approached by an overeager stall holder.Also we were deep in the middle of the bazaar so didnt dare wander too far in case we lost each other. 6 was making use of his seat stick but the expression on all guys face was of complete boredom.After 30 minutes we managed to get our guide to move on and she announced we would head to the next area of ceramics!

By this time the sweat was trickling down my neck and was starting to feel faint.I pointed out that we really weren't interested in shopping unless she could take us to a souvenir stall where our young Canadian friends could buy some play clothes ie harem scarves etc for their young daughter for $5-$10 maximum.At this she looked shocked and said oh no that would be an insult to offer so little! OK THEN CAN WE STOP WASTING EACH OTHERS TIME AND GET OUT OF HERE!!! [told you tempers got a bit frayed!]

Back to sightseeing and we headed for the Chora museum-a Byzantine church 1000 years old. At this point Lale had not told us what the admission charges so far were so I asked how much they were totalling up to as didn't want the embarrassment of not having enough euros to settle up at the end of the day.She then told us the admission charges so far in Lire and that the Chora church would be 15lire. Ok so what is that in euros to which she replied well the exchange rates were listed all over the Grand Bazaar-didnt you see them!!

By this time I was developing an intense dislike for the woman and it must have showed as she then started to backtrack and become more conciliatory!

btw as a rule of thumb halve the number of lire and that gives you a ball park figure for number of euros.

Anyway we visited the Chora Church which at 15 lire approx 8 euros was interesting but overpriced.

We then visited the Mosque of Suleyman which is not as visited by tourists and is a working mosque and therefore free to enter.There are restrictions on entrance during prayer time and you have to remove your shoes before entry and ladies cover head and shoulders[scarves are provided at the entrance]

It was quite a struggle getting my shoes back on over my still swollen ankles and 6 ankles were even worse.

Final stop was the spice market which was very colourful but again Lale herded us to her friends stall where they offered turkish delight and pomegranate tea.

Being a bit wiser by now and as this market was easier to negotiate those who wanted to buy wandered off and Canadian daughters play clothes were bought at a reasonable price in this area!

It was then time to return to the ship with an option to taste Baklava in the place opposite the terminal.Some took this option whilst we decided to return to the ship.

cost of the tour was 44 euros per person and 23 euros admission costs

despite clashes with our guide the sightseeing aspect of the tour was very good.Establish your wish list with the guide at the beginning of the day and dont be pushed into their agenda and hopefully you will avoid the issues we had.

So how did 6 manage with walking in Istanbul?

Pretty well-the ground was level,the minivan took us between places of interest and he made good use of his seat stick to rest when required.The only places we noticed crowds where he could be jostled were in the markets.However it was Ramadan whilst we were there so apparantly not as crowded as normal.

Back on the ship we went up on deck for sailaway and bumped into several acquaintances so we chatted for a while and speculated on the list of names that were announced over the tannoy to make themselves known to guest services.We did set sail 15 minutes late at 7-15 so dont know whether anyone was left behind.

With a long day of touring we decided we weren't in the mood for a long sit down meal in Windows so grabbed a quick bite in Raffles buffet.

there was a Turkish bazaar set up in the foyer so I bought an "evil eye" pendant for $5 and an evening bag for $15.No haggling and prices clearly marked!

nights entertainment was the Broadway hits show then drinks in Henrys bar to reflect on the day and let the bad bits wash over me.[Please forgive my rant it has been cathartic "letting it all out"]

end of day 6

Hi Lyn! I’m enjoying your reviews – and reliving the cruise and excursions!

I had a mobility problem, too. I knew that I needed a knee replacement and hoped that a cortisone shot, some physical therapy, ice, and some anti-inflammatory meds would keep me on my feet for the entire tour. And it did – until I stumbled and twisted my knee. I didn’t want to see the ship’s doctor but realized I could ruin the rest of the trip if something wasn’t done. A wheel chair was sent to my cabin and my daughter wheeled me down to Deck 4. Of course it was closed – 10 PM! – but a nice, efficient nurse let us in, took vitals, and called the doctor. He was very pleasant even after being disturbed so late at night. He told me that going to a hospital in Italy wasn’t the right solution (of course not!!) and suggested a shot in the hip, some stronger meds, and a cane. My daughter gave her ship key to be scanned for the cane and the meds. I did very well the next few days, actually really well until Barcelona when everything wore off and I had to be satisfied with a bus tour of that beautiful city. When we disembarked, a red flag went up when my daughter presented her key. They called security and the problem was the missing cane! I actually had it in my hand and was planning on using it on the rest of our trip. I had wrongly assumed that I bought that cane! I handed the cane over and my daughter was allowed to get off the ship. We found a pharmacy in Barcelona and bought a collapsible cane – a nice one which I’m using now while I await my doctor’s appointment next week.

Wish we had the opportunity to meet – love your descriptions!

Diane

yes a shame we missed each other-Ian now has quite a collection of canes-seat ones,ergometric ones to fit the curve of your hand,collapsable ones,ones with grab handles and magenets on -who knows if the traders in the Grand Bazaar had just left us alone to browes and actually displayed the prices may even have bought one in Istanbul!

glad to see this is relevant to people with similar mobility problems-please let me know if you have any specific questions

Lyn

Reading your post on Istanbul made me smile. I was there in April for 10 days.

I agree with the Grand Bazzar...to big, to pushy and not good deals. Spice Bazzar was much better for deals. I'm sorry you didn't get to see the Blue Mosque although I wasn't that impressed to be honest. Hagia Sophia one can spend hours in and not have enough time, there is a lot to see. If you like that type of stuff that is.

As the walking there, I was shocked that I was almost totally okay with all of it. I didn't think I would be in the Old City (where you were) due to the cobblestone but I didn't find it as hard on my body as I thought I would.

We werent due to arrive Mykonos till 2pm so it was a chance of a lie in so of course woke bright and early!

After breakfast headed for some sun where there were plenty of loungers at the quiet area forward on deck 13.

K and D were gold lattitude members and entitled to priority tender tickets .They had no problems asking for a group of 4 and we got tickets for tender no 1

We actually arrived early and at 1-30 they announced tendering was about to begin.

we headed down to deck 5 and got onto the boat-they used the harbour boats not ships lifeboats so were a bit bigger and comfortable.there is still the awkward gap to negotiate though which required a bit of balancing act. Kand D werent on the boat-lack of communication meant they were actually waiting for us at the usual pre tour meeting place on deck 7!

We sat on the harbour wall and figured they would realise we'd gone on ahead and settled to wait for the next tenders and people watch.There was a guy next to us who was in the same situation,his wife was still on board waiting for him-he knew he was going to be in trouble!!

K and D arrived a few tenders later and we had a brief explore of the harbourside area.That part is flat but quickly the houses rise up the hillside so we decided to split up.They spent the next few hours exploring the area and taking photos.Apparantly the windmills were in the correct spot-they said the wind was so strong it was difficult to keep your feet.

We had a slow wander,took some photos and then decided we would head back to the ship and treat today as a sea day but with a hopefully quiet ship.

The tender back was extremely rough-about the only time I was concerned about sea sickness.

Back on board we decide to walk up the stairs to the Blue Kagoon for lunch on deck 7.Bad decision as we were having to push our way through the crowds of people heading down to the tenders.

about 4pm they announced open tenders-by that time we were fed and enjoying the sun out on the balcony

that evening we met up with several roll call members and discussed what each had done.One family had got the bus to the beach but reported it was a long steep path downhill so would have been no use for us.Apparantly the beach itself was lovely with luxury loungers

The Olympic opening ceremony was at 11pm in Galaxy of the stars and did intend to watch it.However the place was packed out and the only seats remaining did not have a good view of the screen.Added to that the air conditioning was on overload so it was freezing! We headed back to the warmth of Champagne Charlies for a nightcap and then off to bed

end of day 7

By now was getting used to waking up early even when didn't need to!

The sea day was also a good way to relax before the next intensive round of touring in Italy.

We found our preferred spot for breakfast was the covered outdoor area Aft outside Raffles buffet-much more peaceful than inside.

I decided to go for my favourite sun spot on deck 13 however it was very windy-in fact the staff later roped off the forward section as it was difficult to keep your feet.

I found a slightly more sheltered location to the side of the ship but only lasted about an hour.Any reserved lounge chairs that didn't have a body to sit in it were going to lose their towels overboard!

10-30 I decided to join 6 for the staff presentation "how to run a floating hotel" where the captain,engineer hotel and cruise director had a question and answer session.This was held in galaxy of the stars furthest forward and the movement of the ship was pretty apparant-several people were sea sick that day.

It was an informative session with some unintentionally hilarious questions

"can you stop the ship wobbling?"

"why do I have to wait for an elevator?"[possibly because there are 2000 other guests on board!]

Our balcony was well used on this cruise despite the intensive itinery.Whereas the main decks were very windy the balcony was sheltered and it was relaxing sitting out there and listening to the sound of the waves.

After lunch we went along to the towel animal folding demonstration by the cabin stewards-very entertaining and you could buy the dvd if you wanted to impress your friends back home!

Another relaxing hour or so on the balcony before it was time for the silver and up lattitudes party-free alcohol!

There were only 15-20 people there and an allocation of alcohol for more so the waiters were keen to refill your drinks.

got back to the cabin to find the laundry from the "fill bag for $25" earlier in the week had been delivered neatly folded and in a wicker basket folded over with tissue paper-very posh presentation of underwear and t shirts.

This was the 2nd dress up or not night so we decided after a few nights at the buffet we would dress up a bit and go back to Windows with our favourite waiter Horace.

we retired to Henrys pub where we were soon joined by friends. One couple told us their son had been ill with a fever and had been confined to his cabin by the medical staff.Another friend said his wife was ill with a migraine and would be unable to go on their planned trip to isle of Capri the next day .It was decided that as mum wanted to keep an eye on her son then dad would take the vacant place on the tour the next day.Cruise critic tour sharing continues!

end of day 8

LOVE your review - even without mobility issues!

You mentioned being at Henry's Pub a few times. We are contemplating rooms underneath on deck 6. Obviously you didn't sleep there, but do you think they would be too loud to sleep in at night? Your observation about noise proof rooms has me a bit concerned.

Did you happen to notice the number of children on board?

Looking forward to your next installment.

LOVE your review - even without mobility issues!

You mentioned being at Henry's Pub a few times. We are contemplating rooms underneath on deck 6. Obviously you didn't sleep there, but do you think they would be too loud to sleep in at night? Your observation about noise proof rooms has me a bit concerned.

Did you happen to notice the number of children on board?

Looking forward to your next installment.

The main concern I would have being underneath Henrys pub is that was the location for karaoke after 10pm several nights-do you go to bed early?

I didn't notice a lot of kids around in that they weren't running around the decks-possibly being well entertained in the kids clubs?

we were the week before the main school holidays stated in the UK so dont know what the kid situation would be like in August

Lyn

Three questions:

(1) Who was the Cruise Director?

(2) What did you think of the Captain?

(3) Did any one staff member stand out enough that you would nominate as a Vacation

Hero?

1-Jill ?Tasker

2 Captain was great-he was travelling with his wife on board

3 Horace our Waiter [who also doubles up at breakfast washy washy] for his exuberance and his remembering our group as the United Nations-he called goodbye to us as we left the ship in Barcelona

The main concern I would have being underneath Henrys pub is that was the location for karaoke after 10pm several nights-do you go to bed early?

...we were the week before the main school holidays stated in the UK so dont know what the kid situation would be like in August

Not in bed early normally, but think we would try with such early port days.

We are planning for the end of June next year. When do UK school holidays start?

By now was getting used to waking up early even when didn't need to!

The sea day was also a good way to relax before the next intensive round of touring in Italy.

We found our preferred spot for breakfast was the covered outdoor area Aft outside Raffles buffet-much more peaceful than inside.

I decided to go for my favourite sun spot on deck 13 however it was very windy-in fact the staff later roped off the forward section as it was difficult to keep your feet.

I found a slightly more sheltered location to the side of the ship but only lasted about an hour.Any reserved lounge chairs that didn't have a body to sit in it were going to lose their towels overboard!

10-30 I decided to join 6 for the staff presentation "how to run a floating hotel" where the captain,engineer hotel and cruise director had a question and answer session.This was held in galaxy of the stars furthest forward and the movement of the ship was pretty apparant-several people were sea sick that day.

It was an informative session with some unintentionally hilarious questions

"can you stop the ship wobbling?"

"why do I have to wait for an elevator?"[possibly because there are 2000 other guests on board!]

Our balcony was well used on this cruise despite the intensive itinery.Whereas the main decks were very windy the balcony was sheltered and it was relaxing sitting out there and listening to the sound of the waves.

After lunch we went along to the towel animal folding demonstration by the cabin stewards-very entertaining and you could buy the dvd if you wanted to impress your friends back home!

Another relaxing hour or so on the balcony before it was time for the silver and up lattitudes party-free alcohol!

There were only 15-20 people there and an allocation of alcohol for more so the waiters were keen to refill your drinks.

got back to the cabin to find the laundry from the "fill bag for $25" earlier in the week had been delivered neatly folded and in a wicker basket folded over with tissue paper-very posh presentation of underwear and t shirts.

This was the 2nd dress up or not night so we decided after a few nights at the buffet we would dress up a bit and go back to Windows with our favourite waiter Horace.

we retired to Henrys pub where we were soon joined by friends. One couple told us their son had been ill with a fever and had been confined to his cabin by the medical staff.Another friend said his wife was ill with a migraine and would be unable to go on their planned trip to isle of Capri the next day .It was decided that as mum wanted to keep an eye on her son then dad would take the vacant place on the tour the next day.Cruise critic tour sharing continues!

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

loving your blog!

can't wait to hear what's next!

we are doing the reverse tour on the Spirit in September so am picking up tips for our excursions.

btw-think you mentioned the wine pkge; how does one go about getting it?--is the wine then brought to your cabin? Do you have to be Latitudes members?

enough questions-keep writing!!!

Sue

Edited by happier

The wine package is available the first few days of the cruise-if they dont have a table out in the foyer ask at the coffee bar deck 7

You dont have to be lattitudes members-available to all

There were 3 different ranges,called more posh names but effectively

1 cheap plonk

2 bit more discriminating

3 I'm posh

I went for option number 1 which was $179 for 8 bottles-you could have bought lesser numbers.This was a 20% discount but then they slap on 15% gratuity so effectively only 5% saving

you choose the number and type of wine from the lists and you are then given the corresponding slips of paper that you hand over to bar or waiter staff throughout the cruise and they will retrieve your bottle.Once it's opened they can either store it for you or you can carry it around the ship to any bar where they will provide you with a glass or you can even take it back to your room to drink there.Guess who could be spotted clutching a bottle of wine around the ship on the evening.

On previous ncl cruises it worked out about the same price wise getting the house wine by the glass but noticed on this cruise that buying by the glass was more expensive so the package worked out well.

You can take your own wine on board and pay a corkage fee of $15 for a 75cl bottle.If you have a liking for a particularly expensive wine this may be an option as the $15 is negligible.On the other hand if you pick up some cheap local wine for a couple of euros then paying the corkage fee will still end up a saving

If you fall between these then the wine package is a good deal

OK back to the next batch of tours.I had booked the same tour company for all 3 Italy ports Rome-car-tours a small outfit headed up by Rudy who had been very responsive to my email communication leading up to the cruise.We had filled an 8 seater minivan with people from the roll call.

We met at the usual meeting place on deck 7 at 7-50 and as soon as disembarkation was announced walked off the ship.

Again all the NCL tour buses had priority positions and we had to go through the terminal building to meet our tour guide Alex.It was a fairly short walk but did involve a fairly long flight of stairs although there was also an elevator.

Before we set off from the pier our young coffee drinking friend J had a request to stop for a takeaway proper Italian coffee so Alex pulled up outside a bar near the port entrance.We thought J was a while-when he came running back to the van he explained he wasn't allowed to take the coffee off the premises-he had to drink it quickly at the bar and almost burnt his mouth in the process!.True Italians dont do takeaway coffee.

Alex said we would do the drive along the Amalfi coast to the furthest point Positano and then work back to Sorrento.After lunch it would be Pompeii which was closer to the ship.

This plan was very sensible as it was Sunday morning and the inhabitants of Naples head off for the beaches for the day.

Alex took a short cut so came out ahead of a lot of the tailbacks leading back for miles in to Naples but it was still extremely busy.The beaches are tiny rocky affairs which were already packed and car parking along the road in very short supply-cars were double parked everywhere-tough if you decided to call your day at the beach short and found you were boxed in.The popular natives solution to this was mopeds but that looked pretty dangerous nipping in and out of the traffic.

The coast road leading to Positano is very picturesque but consisting of lots of hairpin bends.We had a photo stop to look at the village of Positano perched along the hillside and stretching down to the sea.

Unlike large tour buses the minivan was able to navigate the narrow roads down into Positano itself.Alex pulled into a parking garage almost at the bottom of the hill and suggested we meet back there in 1 hour.Having already seen a lot of Positano on the road down I suggested 30 minutes would be ample and give time for people to split up take photos etc.

6 and I started walking down the rarrow path leading to the beach but found it too crowded and risk of being jostled so we stayed around the wider parts.

We then headed back to Sorrento-a much bigger town where Alex suggested 2 hours and pointed out a restaurant for lunch.Again we thought that too long and didn't want to take away time /walking strength reserves from Pompeii which was the main point of the day .Also we had no interest in wasting time in a restaurant.

30 minutes was agreed on and would have gone to time if it wasn't for the queue for the self cleaning toilets!

There was a single toilet to the side of the parking garage which was coin operated.There was a short queue but very slow moving! This was because once the person in front of you had used it it went through a cleaning cycle of over a minute before it was available for the next in line.To save a bit of time 6 and I nipped in together-well we have been married over 26 years so used to invasion of each others privacy!

We then headed to Pompeii and got there 1-15 with agreement to meet back at the same North entrance at 3-30.The South entrance is the one most used by tourists so North is less crowded but also not very disabled friendly.We had a moment of doubt when had to negotiate a steep slippery slope up to the start[there is an alternative route on exit which consists of steps]

We decided to split up so everyone could go at their own pace but Kand D ended up keeping pace with 6 and I. There are uneven surfaces and certainly not wheelchair accessible but managed OK.We didn't encounter the same crush of people as at Ephesus so avoided jostling.

The site is large but most of what to see is along the main street.By frequent rests and leaving him at a point whilst the rest of us nipped off for photos as places like the amphitheatre which was a bit out of the way he did fine.Mind you 2 years ago pre hip replacement it would have been a different story!

We met up with the rest of the party at the appointed time and place and we headed back to Naples.As it was only 4pm and we had hired till 5 Alex suggested a van tour of the highlights of Naples before being dropped off at the ship.Well he pointed out a few interesting buildings but to be honest was glad didn't decide to spend the day in Naples!

Rudy the company owner rang on his cell phone to check we had enjoyed the day and confirmed he would be our guide for the next day in Rome.

The cost of this day was 69 euros per person with 11 euros admission to Pompeii.Our USA friends were able to pay in dollars-no issue with mixed currency.

Going back through the terminal building were a few shops including one selling wine at 6 euros per bottle.I picked up a bottle of red and white thinking even with the corkage charge of $15 it would still be cheaper than buying on board.For ease of carrying placed them into my bag-not trying to hide them and fully prepared to pay the corkage fee.The security with xrays was done at the terminal building and they didn't blink an eye at the obvious bottles.Got onto the ship and all they asked for was the key card to scan into computer-no table to hand over alcohol or pay corkage-hey we'd got some cheap wine!

We arranged for Kand D to meet us on our balcony at 6-45 for sailaway and polish off our bargain booze!

Sailaway from Naples was actually very picturesque as we hugged the coastline for a long time.

With another long day of touring we opted for a quick buffet meal and then to Henrys bar to listen to Angel the guitarist.Karaoke was due to start 10pm but fortunately the bar staff realised there was more interest in watching the Olympics so spent an extra hour there before heading to bed

end of day 9

May I ask..how was the wine? The red in particular? Can you remember the label?

to be honest I'm not a wine buff-usually if it's a red wine I'll drink it!

There was a choice on the 3 different wine lists-I chose by type eg Merlot etc rather than label

unfortunately I dont have a copy of the list

Or to be more precise Civitiveccia about an hour away from Rome.

The freestyle daily said there would be a mandatory shuttle bus to the port entrance for those not on an NCL tour.

However looking out from the balcony overlooking the pier I could see a line of minivans and taxis parked along the back wall along with the big tour buses.

As usual we met at 7-50 prepared for 8 am meet tour guide.We were waiting for the usual announcement that the ship had been cleared but it didn't come.At 8-05 I went to peer over the side and saw people already getting off.I dont know whether this was NCL trying to make sure there own tours got off first but it was a bit annoying.We went straight off the ship and an NCL employee tried to direct us to the shuttle buses even though we could see Rudy directly in front of us holding a sign with my name on.

We had a 7 seater van for today and had a party of 6.Another group from the roll call also set up a 2nd van with the same company and Rudy made sure he introduced himself to them and their guide before getting our group going.

Rudy explained that smaller vans with less than 8 passengers can apply for a port pass that allows them access to the port to pick up and drop off passengers.If you're on a private tour that is a larger vehicle you will need to take the shuttle bus to the port entrance.

We passed through the town of Civitiveccia a pretty looking place which would be a good alternative to those not wanting the trip to Rome.

The autoroute to Rome took about an hour.We had been promised a full day with drive bys and stops for photo ops and longer stays at key sites.We have been to Rome before but it was first time for our companions.You can only scratch the surface of all there is to see in one day and there were some new sights for us too!

Rudy was a fantastic guide.The only negative point about Alex the day before was he was soft spoken and as his microphone was faulty it was difficult to hear him in the back of the van.Rudy was able to project his voice without aid of microphone or shouting and he was a mine of really interesting information.

We visited lots of interesting churches and monuments including the Pantheon.It was a Monday and apparantly the day they clean the Trevi fountain.I actually found it more interesting to get photos of guys with waterproofs and hosepipes clambering around the empty fountain than the traditional shots when it's full[perhaps that's because am a bit wierd-also got a shot of an off guard guy dressed in Roman centurion costume talking on his mobile phone!]

Rudy asked if there was anything in particular we wanted to see and I suggested the crypt of the Cappucin monks.I remembered this from 3 years prior as a quirky place of 5-6 cells decorated by monks hundreds of years ago with human bones.Sounds wierd but actually fascinating.However this was a bit of a disappointment as they have extended the place to include a museum part with exhibits of monks costumes and art work and increased the entrance fee to 6 euros.They should have left the place as it was in my opinion.

We then drove along the Appian way with its cobbles and the old city walls to the Catacombs of San Callisto.This was set in beautiful grounds with some welcome shaded areas[and clean toilets]

The admission cost was 8 euros I remember thinking that entrance fees for Rome were more realistic for what you saw than in Istanbul.

There are guides to take you around and we joined the English speaking one.the guide was good but the introductory history lecture at the entrance went on too long-too much info to take in at once.Inside the catacombs she broke the talk up as we went to the different areas.Just to be aware there are no bodies left-bones were removed hundreds of years ago but it is very interesting to see how the maze like tombs are set out.

2 points to be aware of

1-it is pretty cold down there after the red hot temperatures outside

2-it isn't disabled friendly.There are steep steps[with handrail] leading down 12 metres and the ground is pretty uneven

By this time it was lunchtime and when we said we just wanted a snack he immediatedly took us to a snack bar in a non touristy area where you could order a slice of Pizza from the bar and eat it outside.Be aware if you sit down at the tables it will incur a service charge and will take you longer.

We were given the choice of whether we wanted to visit the Colosseum inside but took Rudys suggestion of walking around the outside where you could actually get a good view of a lot of the interior and didn't have to contend with crowds.In fact the only nuisance factor was the souvenir sellers who you learned to ignore and the Roman soldiers dressed up in costume who would charge you a fortune for the pleasure of having your photo taken with them[using your own camera!]

We visited Church of San Giovanni in Laterano which was the first official christian Church then a drive by Forum,baths of Caracalla and Spanish steps before final stop of St Peters .We had decided against a visit to the Vatican museum as we would have had to curtail so many other sites-as I said Rome can't be covered properly in a day[after all they say it wasn't built in one!]

It was a good photo op for the famous square and pretty crowded even for late afternoon.The heat must be intense when the place is packed for a Papal address!

We got back to the ship 4-45.cost of the day was 100 euros per person plus admission and well worth it.Rudy confirmed our guide would be meeting us the next day in Livorno and after our day with him that would be a lot to live up to!

Back on ship we again elected for a quick buffet before heading for the main entertainment of the night-the Mr Norwegian Spirit competition.

our Portuguese friends Vand C had decided V would enter[well V had decided-C kept quiet of the matter!] We went along to show support and although it's not our usual form of entertainment knowing someone in the competition made it fun.

We finished off the night in Champagne Charlies but noticed it was pretty quiet-there were lots of tired people!

end of day 10

It was another early start meeting our tour guide at 8am.Disembarkation was poorly organised with only 1 gangway being open and a crowd of people making their way down the stairs.

Once outside we met our driver/guide Teresa-a very pretty young lady wearing a short dress showing off long tanned legs. 6 was wearing mirrored sunglasses and a deadpan expression on his face but I knew there was a gleam in his eye!!

We again had an 8 seater minivan which has 2 seats in the front next to the driver.To allow more leg room 6 was sitting in the front but I bagged the seat between him and Teresa!

Teresa was an extremely capable guide.Her English was excellent having lived and studied in the US and England.Her voice was clear and carried easily to the back of the van and her commentary during most of the driving time about the area and history was very interesting.

Livorno port itself is pretty industrial but the scenery improved as we got inland

First stop was Pisa and we drove around the city centre to be dropped off right by the Field of Miracles This was 8-45 and Teresa said she would meet us back at 9-30.This gave ample time to wander around and take photos-including the obligatory holding up the leaning tower.Tried to put an original slant on it by 6 using his walking stick to apparantly prop it up.This time of the morning it was also relatively quiet.

Then it was off to Florence about an hour away by motorway.

First stop was Michaelangelo square which gives a stunning overview of the city of Florence below.It is also the place for toilets but the strange charge of 60 cents.

There were 2 Korean bridal parties getting their photos taken on the steps-apparantly this is a popular venue for this.

Next stop was Piazza del Croce where we had an hour stop.We chose not to enter the church with its 5 euro fee and just wandered around and had a 3 euro slice of pizza from a snack bar.

We then people watched for 30 minutes from the steps of the church-lots of cruise tour parties following guides with unberellas or paddle signs,segway and bike tours.The main square was set up for a concert so was a bit of a squash getting around.

It was then back into the car and dropped off at the central area by the Duomo at 12-45.

We decided to split up as 6 was not up for too much more walking.The central area is actually very compact and the rest could walk easily to most sites. To be honest unless you're planning to visit inside the Duomo or the museums I thought there is not a lot to see in Florence unlike Rome where you could spend a week and still find something new.

We arranged for the main party to meet back at 2-30 while 6 and I arranged to meet earlier at 1-30.This gave us the chance of a slow wander around the outside of the Duomo and photo ops.

We met back with Teresa and she drove us over to the Ponteveccia bridge which is right next to the Uffizzi museum.I had a quick side tour to the square in front of the museum to see the statues and fountains there.It was very crowded so 6 declined to join me.Getting in the van back to the meeting place it was still only 2pm so Teresa suggested a coffee at a bar around the corner.It was interesting to see how the locals handle it-decline waitresses offers to seat you outside at the tables-go to pay at desk and then stand at the bar to drink-much cheaper.Teresa had a coffee but I was tempted by the sign advertising an iced lemon drink-that was delicious and very refreshing.

We also learned that Teresa was a "rock chick" and very interested in live music.We discussed our son who is in a band and she found a you tube clip of them playing at a local festival.She reckoned they'd go down very well in Livorno so if she could get them a gig we'd we back for another tour with her!!

Meeting up with the rest of the party she drove us to a gelato stall near the Ponteveccio bridge which was photo op and refreshments combined.

We headed back to the ship about 3 and arrived 4pm-this was ahead of time but we felt we'd achieved what we needed to and as mentioned Florence can be covered easily in a couple of hours if you're not intending museum visits.

Rudy again rang us on his mobile to check we'd had a good day and was able to give him a ringing endorsement of Teresa.

The cost of the day was 69 euros per person[some paid in US dollars accotding to the up to date exchange rate]

Back on board it was time for a shower and feet up on the balcony watching activity in the not so picturesque port of Livorno and watching the tour buses return.

That evening we decided it was time for another United Nations meal in Windows joined this time by Mr and Mrs Junior Canada so making up a party of 10.

Unfortunately Horace was not due on duty till later so we were allocated another waiter.

To say the service we got that night was poor was an understatement-it was so bad it was comical.

There is a chefs special each night and Horace would describe the dish in great detail.This guy eventually came to take our order and we pointed out he hadn't told us what the special was.

The response was a curt "veal"-no explanation of accompanying veg or anything!

We'd ordered 2 bottles of wine and they had appeared but were left sitting on an adjacent table for 15-20 minutes.When we attracted our waiters attention he had to go and find someone else to go and open and pour them!

Usually we could be sitting 1hour 30 minutes from beginning to end which was OK when the conversation kept flowing.However 1hour 30 minutes later our main course had just arrived and 6 was seizing up through sitting so long.

We didn't bother with dessert and went back to Henrys bar where the staff knew us so well by that time they brought over 6's usual order of a pint of draught beer when he walked in and only then asked for his room key!

back to the cabin and there was the favourite towel animal the monkey hanging from the ceiling wearing my tiara!

end of day 11

I struggled for Toulon as had been told was an industrial port and nothing of interest-dont believe it.

As a contrast to the previous trips we booked a wine tasting day with Provence wine tours.We again had a minivan with 8 but at breakfast M came to tell us that his wife had been taken ill and they wouldn't be joining us-a great shame their company was missed that day.The price was going to be the same for 6 of us as with 8 so there was no financial loss but decided to check on our Scottish friends to see if their son had recovered and if not there was space on the van.Fortunately he was feeling a lot better and they were going to head for a beach.

I mentioned that Toulon had got a bad write up in a guide book-well it is totally undeserved.The sail in to the harbour was very pretty and the green rolling mountains in the background were typical of the South coast of France.

We were off the boat at 9-30 and there was the tourist tram/train "le petit train de Toulon" waiting in front of the pier to take on a tour around Toulon.Beaches were also nearby and apparantly the train station easy to find if you wanted to explore further.

Our guide Gaetane turned out to be another very attractive blond lady but wearing trousers so allowed 6 to sit up front by himself as less distraction from bare legs!! Gaetane and her business partner Marion run this company and do a very good job catering to cruise passengers,land based tourists and corporate.

We drove through very attractive countryside to the first winery known for its rose wines and Gaetane gave us an interesting talk on how wine is produced and showed us round the "factory" before we ended up in the shop/tasting area.

Now this was the complete opposite of the Turkish rug experience.I was prepared to buy and expected they would be able to ship to the UK quite easily.However they could only ship within France and were unsure how I would have to pay duty.As we were flying back we were limited to luggage so ended up buying 1 bottle of wine from each of the 3 wineries we visited.This 1 was a rose for 14.30 euros.

Now I like wine but this experience taught me I am anything but a wine buff!We tried various wines and whereas others in the party were able to identify hints of peach,melon,oak etc etc I could just taste wine!!

Also I preferred the taste of the cheaper wines in all cases-suppose this is good news for my budget!

The second winery was near the town of Cassis and known for its white wines.I bought[cheapest again] for 11.90 euros.

After a morning of driving through some beautiful countryside around Toulon we were dropped off in Cassis a traditional fishermans town at the base of a hill which is now very touristy and has a small pebbled beach.

We had 1 hour here.I bought a baguette at a snack bar for 4 euros and shared it with 6.

We wandered around for 20 minutes,I dipped my feet in the Med[and had coarse gritty sand between my toes for the rest of the day!]

The last 20 minutese just people and car watched.It was very congested and Gaetane had taken the van to an area outside Cassis and was allowed to drop us off and pick us up from the same spot near the beach.

We then headed to the Cap-the highest point in the area which gives spectacular views over sea and land.The path from the car park is very uneven and there are no guard rails at the cliff edge-be aware if you suffer from vertigo!

We then headed to the last winery.Just a note the routes to the wineries involved some twisting narrow roads-no one in the party was car sick but it's a possibility.

The last winery was known for its reds and I bought a bottle for 19 euros.

We got back to the ship just before 4 and thanked Gaetane for a really enjoyable day.Cost was 85 euros each for a party between 6-8. If less the cost is 95 euros and you may share a van with other clients.

As this was the last night of the cruise and confiscated alcohol would be retrieved that night there was no issue with taking our wine straight on board.

Back in the cabin sat on the balcony watching the boats and yachts opposite and thinking about packing. Sailaway was 5pm so we opened one of the bottles and enjoyed the picturesque sailaway out of Toulon[packing was a bit haphazard after that!!]

Dinner at the buffet and then to Champagne Charlies to meet up with friends and make sure we had each others contact details-there were a lot of people we met on this cruise who we would like to bump into again.

I brought another bottle of wine with me and it is credit to the staff who had served us so well over the last fortnight that they opened the bottle provided glasses and an ice bucket even though it was obvious the bottle hadn't been bought on board and no corkage paid.Mind you they must be used to that on the last night once the alcohol has been retrieved from the "naughty room"

We arranged to meet up with a few people the next morning on deck 7 to say goodbye.

Spent some last time on the balcony listening to the sound of the sea before heading to bed

end of day 12