Flip flops

Louiangel

Definitely wouldn't try it on Century. A cruiser on the Hawaii roll-call ahead of ours reported that his wife had been turned away at the MDR in fancy thong-style flats, that the maitre'd considered to be flip-flops! :eek:

I have similar 'flip flops' / posh / dressy flip flops and am happy to leave them at home, but do find it offensive & incredibly annoying when we think back to the Silhouette last August when we saw many, many guests in the MDR on one formal night in shorts and t shirts -------- they weren't turned away -----

I don't want to start another formal v casual thread, as I am all for rules etc re dress codes and stick to the Celebrity codes. However, dress codes can only really be respected and fair if every ship abides by the same rules ! ?

:confused:

I was turned away from afternoon tea on Connie wearing jewelled thong sandal flats ($600 Jimmy choos at that!) - they had a hard leather sole, so not what I would class flip flops (which to me are more foamy)

Hmm I always wear jeweled "flip-flops" on cruises even on formal night as my feet swell very badly (I do always wear long slacks with them) I think if I got turned away for flip flops I would return with my pink gym shoes or maybe my Crocs - after all they are not "banned" by the dress code.

Hmm I always wear jeweled "flip-flops" on cruises even on formal night as my feet swell very badly (I do always wear long slacks with them) I think if I got turned away for flip flops I would return with my pink gym shoes or maybe my Crocs - after all they are not "banned" by the dress code.

This is one policy Celebrity needs to review ----- I know what they mean by the 'flip flop' look as hubby has some --- but the world has changed and there are some really nice / fancy / expensive looking flip flop TYPE sandals out there !

That's it - I am off to buy another pair of shoes, Swarovski crystal sandals/flip flp type shoes have now been renegated to day wear. I am going to see if they have still got those lovely crystal silver closed in shoes I saw in House of Fraser (shame!!!).

3 days to go until we fly to Venice for the Silhuette, yeah....

That's it - I am off to buy another pair of shoes, Swarovski crystal sandals/flip flp type shoes have now been renegated to day wear. I am going to see if they have still got those lovely crystal silver closed in shoes I saw in House of Fraser (shame!!!).

3 days to go until we fly to Venice for the Silhuette, yeah....

Never looked at it this way ---- will be looking out for them on Friday :)

You can't be serious. All of my sandals have the strap between the toes. That's all I was planning to take on my Summit cruise in a couple of weeks. Many are as nice and as expensive as other sandals. Let me hear back from anyone with recent Summit MDR experience.

Chances are excellent you will be fine, but I would bring another pair just in case. It is so frustrating when Celebrity is inconsistent with these types of things, but their inconsistency is consistent:). It is ridiculous. On one cruise my adult son was stopped on the way into the Sky Lounge for the Captains toast or event or whatever it was because it was formal night and he had changed back into business casual. He had dark Sketchers shoes on that were definitely not gym shoes but had a similar look. That Captain wanted everyone in attendance to be more dressed up. I was furious, as he was definitely in compliance with the ship's dress code and the Captain was just abusing his authority (ok, in a minor sense, but he was). It embarassed my son and prevented us from enjoying a benefit we had a right to enjoy (he was so upset he refused to go back and change shoes and return). I really don't like how they seem to make up these things on the fly. In all my 20 cruises on Celebrity this is the only time something like that happened fortunately.

I normally don't support skirting rules, but as IMHO these are not really flip-flops in the intended sense, another option if you are turned away is to try the opposite door, or try entering on the other floor and walking up or down. You also are less likely to be stopped if you enter at the very beginning of the time period when hoards of people are streaming in. But all in all, it is ridiculous that anyone would consider those type of shoes flip flops.

Interesting - I decided to look up the definition of flip flops and here is the link to Wikipedia. According to this website at least, it would seem Celebrity is perfectly in their right to deny fancy footwear as flip flops. Seems stupid, but technically sounds like they are actually enforcing the rules when they deny the fancy ones, although it seems against the assumed intent of the rules IMHO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flops

That is a great shame that smart expensive(or not) jewelled and pretty flip flops are not acceptable these days but it is good to know beforehand as I usually take a whole load of different pairs with me. They take up little room in suitcases too. Yes, I would say that as they are such a normal part of women's fashion these days that maybe they should rethink the policy. Though then I guess people wouldn't know where to draw the line in what is an acceptable pair.

Looks like I am going to have to buy a few new pairs of shoes and I really didn't want to have to.

To save me going back and re reading, is this for every night in the dining rooms or just formal? Also I have a nice pair of 2" heeled brown suede strappy backless sandals that happen to have a toe post that I was going to bring to go with at least 3 of my normal evening outfits and a heeled black satin pair too that I was going to wear with a formal dress. I don't think of them as flip flops but??? No good?

That is a great shame that smart expensive(or not) jewelled and pretty flip flops are not acceptable these days but it is good to know beforehand as I usually take a whole load of different pairs with me. They take up little room in suitcases too. Yes, I would say that as they are such a normal part of women's fashion these days that maybe they should rethink the policy. Thought then I guess people wouldn't know where to draw the line in what is an acceptable pair.

Looks like I am going to have to buy a few new pairs of shoes and I really didn't want to have to.

To save me going back and re reading, is this for every night in the dining rooms or just formal? Also I have a nice pair of 2" heeled brown suede strappy backless sandals that happen to have a toe post that I was going to bring to go with at least 3 of my normal evening outfits and a heeled black satin pair too that I was going to wear with a formal dress. I don't think of them as flip flops but??? No good?

You will be fine. I have not yet heard of females being told to change from obviously "dress" (for want of better word) thonged shoes - flat or heels. Rubber pool flip flops might be a different story. But stoned, jeweled, heeled etc dress type sandals are not going to be turned away simply because there is a piece of leather between the big and second toe. :D

See post 27

Yea, I saw that but perhaps heeled ones are different? I don't think anyone wouls actually call them flip flops really. Maybe someone could contact Celebrity and get an answer re dressy flip flops.

See post 27

I missed that one. However, I have to wonder about the location of the ship. And whether poster 27 was not an anomaly. :).

I have only cruised Celebrity in the Caribbean. Perhaps the setting lends itself to a less rigid approach to female footwear than perhaps European cruises? Because as I have said there have always been any number of females with leather between their toes when I have cruised. Especially among the younger set. And I have also seen what I would not call dress shoe wear on the more elderly - think sensible shoe side of casual.....

Forgot to mention that many cruisers feel the ship's water has quite a bit of saline in it. To most it tastes perfectly fine, but if salt is an issue you may want to drink bottled water.

"Feel" is a bad way to gain factual information. The water will almost certainly have no more sodium than a person's home source and quite possibly less. I'd think the idea arises from the knowledge that some fresh water is generated onboard using desalination methods that people erroneously believe must leave significant salt behind. The flash evaporation method will result in an extremely low sodium content and reverse osmosis virtually nil. Some people may perceive a mineral taste that they confuse with a salty taste due to the ph-balancing compounds added to the water on some ships to prevent corrosion of the pipes.

Last year, I saw a woman at the next table wearing flip flops on formal night. It really looked odd. I did not know that they were on the list of banned clothing. If that list is not followed. I have also seen jeans and crew neck tees in the MDR on formal night. The only thing that I saw them exclude at dinner was a man in shorts. It would be nice if people dressed properly. Unfortunately, If Celebrity allows inappropriate dress in the MDR, that will become the norm.

Last year, I saw a woman at the next table wearing flip flops on formal night. It really looked odd. I did not know that they were on the list of banned clothing. If that list is not followed. I have also seen jeans and crew neck tees in the MDR on formal night. The only thing that I saw them exclude at dinner was a man in shorts. It would be nice if people dressed properly. Unfortunately, If Celebrity allows inappropriate dress in the MDR, that will become the norm.

I really fail to see how a women wearing flip flops is inappropriate - what were you doing crawling around on the floor checking out footwear? The kind of shoes someone wears because of foot problems or comfort issues should be no ones concern especially since once they are seated their shoes are out of sight. I am amused at the uproar over nice sandals/flipflops when most women don't dress to any wear near formal standards. A Sunday-go-to meeting dress or slacks with a sparkly top are not formal but no one complains about that

Basically after more than 25 cruises, I am so over formal night. I agree that those who want to part-take should dress elegantly because you don't want to be sitting in a tuxedo and have someone dressed casually next to you. It takes away from the ambiance.

What i had do now- is skip formal night and eat elsewhere onboard those nights. If I want to do the shows on those nights- I dress up a bit but I'm so over bringing gowns, matching shoes, etc. I like to pack light and that stuff takes up two much room- especially for two people.

Theoretically, most people know the difference between beach flip-flops and dressy flip-flops, jogging shorts and Bermuda shorts, or yard-work jeans and dressy jeans. However, when the dressy version of something is "allowed," it seems eventually the lowest denominator shows up.

At work we used to be allowed to wear jeans on Fridays. I think most of us knew that jeans should be clean with no rips or stains and fit properly on the waist. Some people had to push to envelope and show up with holes, stains, or their underwear hanging out. Rather than try to define what makes jeans acceptable, it's easier to not allow them at all.

We also were allowed to wear sandals. It was assumed sandals should be a dressy type, appropriate for a business environment. Again, people had to find out how much they could get away with wearing and started showing up in rubber flip-flops. No more thong-type sandals.

I assume Celebrity decided that rather than try to be the fashion police and enforce a subjuctive standard, it is easier to simply ban an item completely. I've seen some very pretty $30 thong-sandals at Payless that I would wear with a formal dress. I've also seens some $100 thong-sandals that looked just like ones I've bought at Walmart for $4.

Archived