Which cruise would you choose?

Izzybeff

If you were cruising in January 2014 with NCL and you had to pick a cruise that was round trip from the US... Where would you go and why?

I have a 40th B-day coming up that year and DH has agreed to let me choose the cruise! :D

If you were cruising in January 2014 with NCL and you had to pick a cruise that was round trip from the US... Where would you go and why?

I have a 40th B-day coming up that year and DH has agreed to let me choose the cruise! :D

I personally would cruise on the still new "Breakaway" out of NYC. It looks like it will be a great ship, and it will be sailing to Florida and the Bahamas. It is after school vacation time so it may not be crowded with school age kids. I just happen to like visiting NYC too, also only a 5 hour drive from home. I don't know how far you have to go to get to a given departure port. Airfare can be a killer.

Rather hard to answer until you give us some help.

Would you be driving, is that an option. If flying, are certain places easier for you to fly to? Would you be doing extra days at the port? (good idea due to weather)

How long do you want to go? Do you like bigger or smaller ships? Are there ports you have visited in the past? Do you want to go them again, or new ones. Are you more beach type or go to see sites or stay on ship..

How many days can you go for? Drinker, foodie, gambler,reader, bingo?

Inside room type or suite type? Budget.

Depending on your location, I would pick a January or February cruise leaving from NY. I love leaving when it's super cold and waking each morning and gets a little warmer until you've hit the beautiful Caribbean. And if you can afford, definitely get a suite. The perks are totally worth it.

Have a great time whatever you choose!

I am cruising in January 2014...on Jan 19th to be exact on the Breakaway, 12 day Southern Caribbean.....awesome itinerary and new ship! What a way to celebrate......(I'm celebrating turning 60- 8 weeks earlier):cool:

Depending on how much time I had I would sail out of NYC to the Eastern Caribbean

• Jewel for 12 days [san Juan, St. Thomas, USVI, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua]
  • Gem for 9 days [san Juan, St. Thomas, USVI, St. Maarten, Dominican Republic]

My preference would be for the longer 12d cruise, and for the Jewel as I prefer that ship having sailed on both before. The Jewel has a better outdoor pool, and the GEM a better spa [but neither by much more]. Also the JEWEL has the store next to the dining room, while the GEM has a bar with bowling alley next door.

I love getting on in NYC, without having to fly to the port, waking up the next day at about the carolinas where it is sweater weather, and the next day its warm.

NCL pools are heated unlike other cruiselines, so you can still swim even when its cooler outside, and the pool is around the corner from the spa, so you can always run in and jump in the therapy pool if you are feeling cold.

Rather hard to answer until you give us some help.

Would you be driving, is that an option. If flying, are certain places easier for you to fly to? Would you be doing extra days at the port? (good idea due to weather)

How long do you want to go? Do you like bigger or smaller ships? Are there ports you have visited in the past? Do you want to go them again, or new ones. Are you more beach type or go to see sites or stay on ship..

How many days can you go for? Drinker, foodie, gambler,reader, bingo?

Inside room type or suite type? Budget.

We are in Iowa and my husband won't fly so we will be driving no matter where we leave from. That's why I said it had to leave and return to the US. We've stayed in an ocean view twice and balconies twice. I'm planning to try a suite for this cruise. We will be going on the Epic in January 2013, and Dh loves the fact that it's got so much to do, so i'm thinking bigger is better.

I love to read & knit, Dh likes to be on the go.

Depending on your location, I would pick a January or February cruise leaving from NY. I love leaving when it's super cold and waking each morning and gets a little warmer until you've hit the beautiful Caribbean. And if you can afford, definitely get a suite. The perks are totally worth it.

Have a great time whatever you choose!

When we went this past January out of Cocoa Beach it was awesome to drive to FL and watch the temperature go down as we went. It was unfortunate to see it go back up when we were heading home though. :cool:

I am cruising in January 2014...on Jan 19th to be exact on the Breakaway, 12 day Southern Caribbean.....awesome itinerary and new ship! What a way to celebrate......(I'm celebrating turning 60- 8 weeks earlier):cool:

This is exactly the cruise I was looking at!

Okay, so you are driving from Iowa in January. Hmmm. That helps clarify the picture. Weather could be just about anything.

NYC - 1,100 miles - all in the North

Miami - 1,500 miles

New Orleans - 1,000 miles

On that alone, I would do New Orleans. Great city to spend some extra time in. Bummer he will not fly, but I know some people will not do it, no matter how logical or safe it is.

And since you are a year and a half out, your desires and cruise prices can change alot.

Okay, so you are driving from Iowa in January. Hmmm. That helps clarify the picture. Weather could be just about anything.

NYC - 1,100 miles - all in the North

Miami - 1,500 miles

New Orleans - 1,000 miles

On that alone, I would do New Orleans. Great city to spend some extra time in. Bummer he will not fly, but I know some people will not do it, no matter how logical or safe it is.

And since you are a year and a half out, your desires and cruise prices can change alot.

We've driven pretty much everywhere in the last 4 years. No big deal. We have plenty of time as we generally close for 2 weeks in January and go on vacation. New Orleans was the other one I'd been looking at although Dh & I have both been there numerous times.

We are doing the 1/19/2014 Jewel cruise from NOLA, mainly because that's my favorite US city and we always look forward to going there. And we don't like the size of the Epic or the Breakaway, just too darn big for us. Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Susan

We are doing the 1/19/2014 Jewel cruise from NOLA, mainly because that's my favorite US city and we always look forward to going there. And we don't like the size of the Epic or the Breakaway, just too darn big for us. Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Susan

I am surprized you like the Solstice class Celebrity ships, they feel super massive.

We are in Iowa and my husband won't fly so we will be driving no matter where we leave from. That's why I said it had to leave and return to the US. We've stayed in an ocean view twice and balconies twice. I'm planning to try a suite for this cruise. We will be going on the Epic in January 2013, and Dh loves the fact that it's got so much to do, so i'm thinking bigger is better.

I love to read & knit, Dh likes to be on the go.

When we went this past January out of Cocoa Beach it was awesome to drive to FL and watch the temperature go down as we went. It was unfortunate to see it go back up when we were heading home though. :cool:

This is exactly the cruise I was looking at!

Why not take the Amtrak? Its very convenient. When my dad & wife came from MI for a holiday cruise, I had them take the Amtrak. We met up at Penn Station as my train came in from NJ there as well, and then took a short taxi ride to the port.

Susan

Beautiful cat!

I personally would cruise on the still new "Breakaway" out of NYC. It looks like it will be a great ship, and it will be sailing to Florida and the Bahamas. It is after school vacation time so it may not be crowded with school age kids. I just happen to like visiting NYC too, also only a 5 hour drive from home. I don't know how far you have to go to get to a given departure port. Airfare can be a killer.

In January of 2014 on both the 5th and the 19th Breakaway will sail on twelve night Itineraries to the southern caribbean out of NYC. I recently priced this out and was stunned at the value. I travel solo so you would have to price your own cabin style but for an example I am paying $1560.00 in a solo 7 night on the Breakaway June 9, 2013 NYC/Bermuda, all port and taxes included. That same Breakaway but 12 night to So Carib priced out at 1865.00 all taxes and port for 12 nights, So I think right now its a humongous bargain.

NYC to So carib

+12-Day Southern Caribbean Round-trip New York

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Embarkation port: New York City

Embarkation: Jan 5, 2014

Disembarkation: Jan 17, 2014

Ports of call: New York City; San Juan; St. Thomas; St. Maarten; St. Lucia; Barbados; St. Kitts

View itinerary detail 3071662 22161

Total Price: $1,865.43

USD 1865.43

Number of guests: 1

Stateroom type: T1

Stateroom: 11507

So What i am thinking you get 12 nights/days

You get newest Mega breakaway

You get 6 unbelievable ports

Go to www.ncl2.com and bookem danno:D

Kev:cool:

^ I second the pp's suggestion. :D

My cousin is also turning 40 in Jan 2014. :) His big 4 birthday present from DH and I is a cruise on the spanking new Breakaway, leaving on his bday, 1/19/2014, 12-day Southern Caribbean, leaving from NY, where we live.

I personally love leaving from a northern port. Just like OP, I love watching the climate change along the way. And experience it from the sea is something else. ;)

I don't see it listed yet on the NCL site, but I would choose the 9 or 10 day Southern Caribbean. Love the itinerary and length! Or Hawaii, but that might be pushing it with the departure city. :-)

ETA: I see the Breakaway will do a 12 day? Yes, please!

I am surprized you like the Solstice class Celebrity ships, they feel super massive.

I guess they do in some ways. But they are the only ones with the lawn and most especially the Molecular Bar! :D They are very well laid out and don't seem that large and are not especially crowded when you are aboard.

^ I second the pp's suggestion. :D

My cousin is also turning 40 in Jan 2014. :) His big 4 birthday present from DH and I is a cruise on the spanking new Breakaway, leaving on his bday, 1/19/2014, 12-day Southern Caribbean, leaving from NY, where we live.

I personally love leaving from a northern port. Just like OP, I love watching the climate change along the way. And experience it from the sea is something else. ;)

I would love to be on that 1/19/2014 Breakaway cruise, I've been eyeing it, but can't justify going since I have a high schooler in the house who could never take off school that long. Instead, we are doing the Breakaway for Thanksgivign 2013.

Archived