Honestly, how is the complimentary coffee? and 1 drink question

sweetp09

Once upon a time cruise lines had awful coffee for free on their ships (like on Celebrity) that would make better brown dishwater then a drink. And lo.....the passengers did complain on Cruise Critic and onboard surveys. And so, the powers to be came forth with a plan to provide good coffee on ships. But alas, they realized that there was no reason to provide that coffee for free since their goal is to maximize onboard revenue. And so it was ordered that decent coffee should be provided for those willing to pay extra...but for the ignorant masses that expect decent coffee in the Lido and dining room....well the heck with those folks. If they want good coffee they need to pay pay pay. Hmmm. Then the great powers to be realized that they could do the same thing with food. Why provide really good food in the dining room when they could provide good food in alternative restaurants and charge even more money. So alas...some of the dishes that used to be included in the MDR are now only to be had for a price in alternative restaurants. And now those same powers to be look at some resorts where they charge extra for certain items on in the regular dining venues. And Alas...some of those powers to be are now thinking...why not do that on cruise ships. So you can expect to find decent steak or lobster in the regular dining room....but you shall pay pay pay. If you do not want to pay you shall still get steak....but it will be sub-standard and designed to make you want to pay pay pay for something better.

Hank

Greetings

They have a fairly large selection of rums. Capt Morgan, Malibu, and Bacardi are included in the Classic Package. There are probably others that also would be included depending on the bar. On Equinox, The Sunset Bar had a large selection of high end rums which were available with the Preminum Package. Many of these were aged sipping rums which may lose some of their uniqueness when mixed with coke.

Good Sailing

Tom

The one complaint I had about my Equinox cruise was the size of the Captain and Cokes. I think the wait staff knew they were small because I've never been asked repeatedly on any other ship if I wanted a double. The problem with the doubles was that they were seriously lacking in Captain Morgan. I'm not sure if this applies to other mixed drinks and/or ships.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if you could purchase the package after boarding, but now I know! :) Trying the free coffee before buying the package is a good idea. DH and I talked about it, though and he doesn't seem to think he will need the classic package, though he might be underestimating. Thank you for all of the helpful tips and input. It has really helped! :)

• 2 months later...

A long time ago (in another lifetime) I used to read on these boards that the reason the complimentary coffee was so bad was because rather than fresh brewed coffee made with coffee grounds or coffee beans, that it was made with a "coffee syrup". Does anybody know if that is still true or not? We like a good cup of coffee, but don't necessarily like the speciality coffees.

A long time ago (in another lifetime) I used to read on these boards that the reason the complimentary coffee was so bad was because rather than fresh brewed coffee made with coffee grounds or coffee beans, that it was made with a "coffee syrup". Does anybody know if that is still true or not? We like a good cup of coffee, but don't necessarily like the speciality coffees.

Celebrity switched to grounds a few years ago; it definitely improved things (and I find the coffee adequate), but the coffee is still nothing like the coffee I am accustomed to at home or my favorite cafes on land.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if you could purchase the package after boarding, but now I know! :) Trying the free coffee before buying the package is a good idea. DH and I talked about it, though and he doesn't seem to think he will need the classic package, though he might be underestimating. Thank you for all of the helpful tips and input. It has really helped! :)

Yup, it is a tough decision.

I love a good cup of coffee. So a few years back I did the premium non-alcohol drink package.

I really enjoyed the package. I drank all sorts of drinks on it. Some good (coffee!!), some not so good (Red Bull :eek:).

I only did the package once because I found that I drank way too many coffees. I enjoyed the non-alcoholic drinks at the bar, but found that they were so sweet I ended up just having a little OJ with seltzer water.

Bottom line, I won't do the package again. Now I just visit Cafe al Bacio every other day or so, when I am really wanting a cup of good coffee. I am pretty frugal and this seems to work out better for me. When at home where I can get good coffee, I just have 1 cup. If I drank it all day long, I would get the drink package.

What a shame to think you have to spend extra money for a drink package just to get a decent cup of coffee. You would get one at most of your local breakfast places back home, why not on an expensive cruise???

You don't have to buy a drink package just to get a decent cup of coffee. Just buy the decent cup of coffee. Or two.

Archived