Royal Viking Line

Hey there Dianne-

Yes, Bauer, Rosanne and all of the other strip wearers ring a big bell:) I knew them all when I worked on the RVL.

Do you know Eric from Australia? He worked on the RVL's for sometime too. vanda Waller- american journalist on the RV Sea and Bruce Smith- another american that worked as Captain's waiter. Max the butcher- do those names sound familiar?

I'm in touch with a few Swiss woman who worked on the RV Star & Sea- as well. Renata Gasser and Rosmarie Gantenbein both worked as night cleaners. I went to Switzerland and spent 4 months visiting them in 2003- it was great catching up.

Thanks for staying in touch- fun memories indeed.

Gail

On Saturday I saw two former RVL ships - BLACK WATCH (ex ROYAL VIKING STAR) and PRINSENDAM (ex ROYAL VIKING SUN) in Copenhagen. Both looked wonderful.

Incidentally someone mentioned Ola Harsheim - he is now captain of THE WORLD OF RESIDENSEA.

I believe one former RVL captain followed SUN all the way to HAL and is still with her as PRINSENDAM. Will have to find out his name.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in the gift shop on the RV Sun for 5 years and it was the best time of my life - What an experience !! I am always looking for a website for RV Crew alumni - anyone know of any such thing!? And I do agree - The end of Royal Viking was an end of an era. A big hello to all RV Sun passengers and crew from 1990 to 1995!!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I saw somewhere that Capt. Harshiem is no longer on the Residencesea.

I was told by a captain on RCCL that Capt. Vebenstadt taught at a maritime academy for a time after leaving RVL and is now deceased. He was quite a character and my idea of what a captain should be

Fond old memories (and the way we got hooked on cruising) was RVL Star and Sky in the late 70's. My husband and I were treated to back to backs Copenhagen to Athens and Rome to London by his folks. We were the youngest married couple on board but made great friends with our waiters and bartenders...our whole family was invited to crew quarters on one formal night and treated to our favorite cocktails in one of their cabins! These were Turks and they were just amazing people! We once had a beer right at the fan tail of the ship (it was amazingly close to the water) in the crew area and watched a fight between a Swede and a Norwegian and one nearly was thrown overboard! The crew said it happened on a regular basis so no one got too excited (my heart almost stopped though!).

Now for the funny little experience....once a week they had a crew parade where those who chose to (and there were quite a few) would dress in drag and parade around the crew quarters! Now it reminds me of my husband's old "Disney After Dark" poster! :D

Thanks for bringing back these fun memories!

Hi All - It's great to read all the memories from passengers and crew members alike. I worked for RVL in SF HQ (reservations and inventory) from 1984 until the announcement of RVL being relocated to Miami. One of my favorite projects was working on the advance bookings for the maiden voyage of the RV Sun - we literally had a roomful of checks and letters asking to be booked on the maiden voyage, a Round-the-world cruise. We spent months calling the travel agents (pre-fax, pre-email days) to book the first voyage.

What a great company, and what great co-workers. I currently work part-time at the Pier in SF doing check-in for various ships, and am stunned at the the number of ex-RVL employees I run into.

Such memories...off too look in the freezer to see if the Aquavit is still there....

Bon Voyage!

Betsey

Hi all...

I started cruising on RVL in 1978 when I was eight years old. I traveled with my parents and my younger sister. Because my parents took us out of school to go on long voyages, we were the only children on the entire ship, usually. We did a two month trip around South America (roundtrip out of San Fran), a month long tour of China, many trips around Australia, Europe, Mexico, Alaska, and many, many others. We sailed on RVL until they were no longer (and until I was of age to have a sip of Aquavit!). It was really sad to see such an amazing company go. We've kept in touch with people like Carole Klein (social hostess), Cpt. Harsheim, and also Captain Daniel Danielsen (who has since passed). My parents still love to cruise, and they have seen many familiar RVL faces on Crystal and Residensea. It's simply not the same...you don't hear the "Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol" songs from the dining room, no more Norwegian folk dancing, and remember how fabulous those costume parties were? It was certainly a cruise line where you felt like you were home once you boarded. People remembered your name...I don't see that these days.

Because of those good ole RVL days, I was bitten early by the cruise bug...that after college, I worked on board a Princess ship...and now I'm married to a Staff Engineering officer from Princess. Betsey, I'll be there on 9/21 at Pier 35 in San Francisco to see him when his ship gets in...maybe you'll be there! (=

Cheers,

Jen

P.S. I still have my RVL totebags, a multitude of glasses, ice buckets, bowls, and luggage tags. Go Skald Club!

Hi Jen,

I enjoyed your note to CC. You were certainly among the "priviledged" to be able to spend so much time aboard the RVL ships. They truely did have a way of making kids special. I had posted while back about our wonderful experiences aboard with our daughter (probably about 7 or 8) back in the late 80's. Your list of the wonderful Skald awards made me giggle. Tomorrow, my daughter and I are off to Atlantic City for a little bright lighting and fun....guess what I've packed my things in??!!!! My RVL logo duffle!!!!!

Hi there-

I replied to your email weeks ago but somehow it got logged into another area on the message board.

YES- all of those names you mentioned ring a big bell:)

I am currently in touch with Rosmarie Gantenbein- she is Swiss. We still vacation together now and then and treasure our times on board the RVL. Gasser was another Swiss night cleaner that i still connect with as well.

Bruce Smith is another american who worked as Captains waiter- he and I are in regular contact too.

Stay well and feel free to write me anytime. Gail:)

I never had the chance to cruise on RVL but my brother worked for them for a number of years. A few times that the ships were in SF we would go up to see him and get a tour. I think he started some time in 84 or 85. He's currently working on Crystal.

His name is Bob and he worked in the entertainment department as a stage manager (and asst.). We have lots of RVL pictures from all of his cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

It is so wonderful to read about crew and passengers that had the chance to cruise with probably the best cruise line ever. I started my carreer with Royal Viking Star in June 1986 (Yokohama) as a deckhand. I worked on all of the Royal Viking ships and left Royal Viking Sun as a First Officer in October 1996. I was very dissapointed with the changes Cunard did, and not having Captain Harsheim onboard made it even harder. I was also onboard during the groundin in Egypt (no, I was not on duty that night:) )

I went to Seabourn after that and left them in 1999 to start a family shoreside. My Dad was also an Officer with RVL and we always talk about the good old days.

I only have great memories from a wonderful time with my time with Royal Viking.

Kjell

• 2 weeks later...
Nice to hear from you again.

We lived on the Gold Coast and returned there in 1985 after signing off the STAR December 84 in Hong Kong.

In touch with fellow Purser Assist Jodi Ramsey (American) and Maitre d'Hotel Arnold Deutschl. Rudi Querzola and wife Helen, Salvatore Casu and wife Synnoeve, Chief Purser Tor Bang and quite a few others that we contact at Christmas. Was always hoping somebody would start an RVL website so we could all chat about the "old" days.

Captain was Ola Harsheim and Hotel Manager Ulrich Baur. Think Cruise Director was Derek Mann. Are these names ringing a bell. Housekeeper Rosanna Campo? Look forward to hearing from you.

HelloSailer:

Would Synnoeve have been a stewardess on RV Sea October/November 1988?

Margi

We were on one of the early cruises of RV Sun. It was the North Cape and I remember the large numbers of people along the shore line and on bridges watching us pass and taking pictures. Of all the cruises we have taken this one holds the most memories, of the ship, the crew and Captain Harshiem.

Wondering where Capt. Harshiem is now. I heard he had left Residencesea.

I sailed on the RV Sea in 1984

I was finishing collage and my siters and my mother whent 27 Days

Norwegion Capitals then down to the med to athens.

That month of my life ruined me. Ebvey time i vacation no i compare it to that cruise. Everything was perfect.

I miss the days when you got service at a reasonable rate. Even though now I can afford to pay for it.

I have tried a lot of the other cruise lines and nothing can compare.

Those were the days.

• 2 weeks later...

i signed on in '84...hong kong. will never forget that day i saw the rv star. signed off in '86. what can i say? loved working on the rv star. started off as a crew stewardess, then passenger stewardess, finally an assistant purser. miss those days. was drunk a lot. we did the crazy stuff, sometimes unthinkable. danced through the streets of shanghai in those ancient norwegian dance costumes, almost past the curfew! smuggled the cutest german sailor on the ship in china...ahem, prolly was one of my most memorable moments in my life. i was a crazy, very adorable girl in those days.... luckily i had the best boyfriend, patrick from from vancouver. man did we have some fun. we did it all. i still talk to one of my best friends, britt b. in oslo. anyway, track me down, would love to talk!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello! My dear friends, yes those were good times. I feel nostalgic by the memories. My name is Jose ALVES. I sailed as a waiter in RV SKY for two six month contracts, then moved to The RV SUN on it's maiden voyage in Torku - Finland.

I very much would like to to find my partner José Campalanas a spanish waiter who was working in the SUN together wit his wife, a stewardess from Finland. Does anyone have their contact? I would be very grateful.

Best regards. Keep well. My e-mail is: lunalupus@sapo.pt

Ah, good 'ole Royal Viking Line. I miss 'em. My very first cruise was in 1984 on the Royal Viking Sky Christmas cruise. It was a 14-day cruise from San Francisco - Ft.Lauderdale. Being that I was 7 years old, my parents only booked a 7-day segment from San Francisco - Acapulco. I still remember sailing out under the Golden Gate Bridge under the darkness of evening and had the most incredible week. And, alas, my cruise addiction was born. Ironically, I was onboard the Royal Viking Queen in 1994 when it was announced that Royal Viking was being absorbed into Royal Cruise Line and NCL. That was a ship full of sad passengers and crew! I will never forget them.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Margi

Wish there was a website for "old" RVL crew to chat together.

It's nice to read these posts though.

Me, too. My husband (Austrian) was on the RV Sea and we're still in touch with quite a few former crew. Does anyone remember Heinz and Micky? How about Eric Bridgeman? We're in touch through Eric with Bruce (mentioned earlier in this thread) and Eva. Alex Don is now with Crystal and Alana Warden is in Florida now. Wendi Pels now lives on Cape Cod. Karl Volker in Boston. Peter Maeder in Las Vegas. Anni Martinsson back in Stockholm. They're scattered all over the place.

Anyone know where Peter Einfeld is these days?

• 3 months later...
I believe I saw somewhere that Capt. Harshiem is no longer on the Residencesea.

I was told by a captain on RCCL that Capt. Vebenstadt taught at a maritime academy for a time after leaving RVL and is now deceased. He was quite a character and my idea of what a captain should be

Regarding Capt. Harsheim you can read this.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/Wire/News_Wire/9%1020%1007_-__The_Orphalese_Announces_Luxury_Cruise_Industry_Veteran_Ola_Harsheim_as_Captain/

I inadvertently started a new Royal Viking Line thread......wasn't aware of this thread. Thiissi what I had ported:

My first cruise was Royal Viking Star, Caribbean and we later did Royal Viking Sun, Mediterranean. I mostly remember the dining rooms. Impeccable service, wonderful food. On the Star, our waiter owned a restaurant in New Jersey. He was fantastic. Years later we came accross him on another cruise line. He was the matre'd. On the Sun, a ship's officer sat with the guests at every table. Our officer got us invited to a private party in the Captain's quarters. Later we did many cruise on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival. Most of them were fine, but paled in comparison to Royal Viking.

My son was on the maiden voyage of the Royal Viking Queen. He described it as fantastic.

I know that Royal Viking was purchased by NCL, and then disappeared as a brand. Are the Star, Sun and Queen still in service somewhere or are they reefs?