Royal Viking Line

Our first cruise was on the Royal Viking Star - Nov 1990, the Caribbean. From the minute we boarded the ship, we knew that cruising was for us. Our Captain was Jakob Lotta (not sure of the spelling!) We still have all the menus and daily activity papers. We loved that there was only one seating at dinner so you never felt rushed. Although we have enjoyed several other cruises, nothing has ever compared to Royal Viking. It was also the only ship we have been on that we threw streamers out as we left port in Ft. Lauderdale. The ship had a wonderful lounge on the top with a harpist, and it was lovely to relax and meet fellow cruisers - not having to shout over loud music. Royal Viking was elegant, but not pretentious. We definitely miss the Royal Viking fleet!

I've never cruised, but I hope to one day. Just one of my dreams. But back in the late 70's early 80's I worked for the ships agent for Royal Viking Line going out of Southampton UK. We had to arrange for supplies to the ships, taxi services for passengers and crew, cash deliveries, and arrange for dental, doctor and hospital appointments for the crew (One time I absolutely refused to make arrangements for one female crew member who got herself into trouble, for moral reasons...I guess she sorted out her problem at the next port of call...:rolleyes:)

Anyway, I can't remember now which ship it was (either Sky, Sea, Star or Sun) we (my ex-husband and I) were invited on board for lunch and a walk around the ship. It was and still has been my only experience on board a luxury liner. The food was lovely but was an 'A la Carte' menu so not enough for me...:p...lol ( I like to eat).

So after the walk around the ship, looking at cabins, checking out the gym and the cinema and theatres etc...we ended up in the 'green' room (or whatever its called on ship). Non stop alcohol...and erm...interesting people...:rolleyes:. One guy kept trying to chat me up even though he knew I was with my husband. And he kept kissing my hand. (think my hubby was getting a bit irate but luckily the guy left before it got nasty...;)) Is this room for the crew only or what?...never did find out.

Well, after all that alcohol, we lost track of time and suddenly realised that it must be nearly time to sail and we were still there drinking. We started to panic a bit thinking it had sailed and we were still on board. We ran to the gangway and just about got there as they were ready to pull it away. We were the very last people down that gangway (actually we staggered down... :D) and who should be at the bottom but my boss. It was so embarrassing. He said he thought we'd already left so gave the go ahead to pull away. I never lived that down after that.

So that's my experience of the RVL. I came on this forum to post in an entirely different thread but saw this one and couldn't resist posting in it as it was part of my job for a long time. Never got a chance to sail on any of the ships unfortunately...but still a major part of my working life.

Love

Jane x

• 4 weeks later...

I shared on the related RV thread that I was on the Star in '79, from the Caribbean through the Panama Canal. I cannot remember I thing, as I was 8, but know my parents and I loved the ship. I ended up getting a model replica of the Star and putting in a case in my room (2-3 ft in length). Thanks TampaMike for the history lesson on all of this. Great stuff!

• 7 months later...

Are the Star, Sun and Queen still in service somewhere or are they reefs?

I understand that all 5 of the previous Royal Viking ships are still sailing!

The Queen is now sailing for Seabourn (which was to be her original home, but she ended up at RVL instead).

The Sun is sailing for Holland America as the Prinsendam (II).

The Sea is sailing for Phoenix Reisen Cruise line as the Albatros and serves the German language market.

The Sky and the Star are sailing for Fred Olsen Cruise Line as the Boudicca and Black Watch.

I had the pleasure of sailing on Royal Viking Line three times: The Star to Alaska in 1985, the Sea over the '87/'88 holidays, and the Star to Bermuda in 1990. I remember them being lots of fun, luxurious but never stuffy, clean, and with a great and ever present staff!

• 3 months later...

The gorgeous Royal Viking Sky:

http://ships.galutschek.at/royal_viking_sky/

Royal Viking Sun (under Cunard :( ):

http://ships.galutschek.at/royal_viking_sun/

Black Watch ex Royal Viking Star:

(very, very different to how it was under Royal Viking but I still love that ship)

http://ships.galutschek.at/black_watch/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi Margi

I don't think it's the same Synnoeve. I think she was only on the Star.

Wish there was a website for "old" RVL crew to chat together.

It's nice to read these posts though.

Hi Servus3

I was stage manager on RVL ships in 1980s and 90's and after reuniting with hundreds of ex RVL staff I have put together a website with numerous pictures and as I build more pages we will have forums, videos etc. This is a call out to all ex RVL Crew to visit and relive the glory days of RVL @ http://site.yourlostfriends.com

Let me know what you think of the site and invite more friends.

Regards Pete stg man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice pictures. I sailed on her as the Prinsendam & look forward to being able to do so again.

I have just recently returned from a Norwegian cruise on the Black Watch (RVL Star). Although the decor is rather 'faded 70s' in style & the cruise experience was a little 'down market', I still enjoyed the trip & the ship.The food was quite good & the service was good, the Captain being one of the most personable that I have met.

The ship herself however, was obviously quality built & very stylish for her day. She also handles the sea quite well. One of the outstanding features for us was the full size metal bath that we had in our standard outside cabin. These must be originals & we found ours a great pleasure to use. Being reasonably tall & broad, it is not often that I can lie stretched out in a bath, with plenty of room (& never before on a cruise ship!).

Yes, for me Royal Viking Line spells GREAT BATHS!

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have a 45rpm vinyl record of the sail-a-way song that RVL Star used to play as she left port. It still brings a lump to my throat when I occasionally play it with memories of ports all over the world.

"When she sails away -Like a French Palaise -With the Lord and Ladies Smiling - We have Left the world on the shore - that's what paradise boats are for - She's a lovely sight o'er the waves so bright - like a royal swan she's gliding - We'll be all aboard - going far- on The Royal Viking Star."

Remember it??

?ui=2&ik=0fca83f4b1&view=att&th=124b04b82a6c55ec&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_g1hxtx1b1&zw

Dwelsh,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you for recalling the Royal Viking Star song. The Royal Viking sailaway song is one of my fondest memories from my RV cruises. I remember sailaway music on the RV Sun ("we'll be all aboard - having fun - on the Royal Viking Sun") and RV Queen ("we'll be all aboard - being seen - on the Royal Viking Queen"). No one else -including those in my family - remember these songs and for years I have struggled to recall the lyrics. In hindsight it was an awfully cheesy song, but man, it made sailing from ports so special. Thanks again for posting those lyrics. It brought back a flood of memories!

Now, if I just knew the lyrics that were used for RV Sky and RV Sea!

Michael

Michael:

I am so happy that you got a kick out if the RVL sail away song. When I play it on my gramophone, (what's that you may ask), I still get goosebumps. As you say, none of today's ships have the ambiance of the Royal Viking. However, when we cruised on that line we were a much smaller % of the population who floated on the 7 seas than now populate the behemoths they call cruise ships. I prefer to call them "places!"

Thank goodness for the small luxury lines which are catering to us "old" sailors. They are maintaining the qualities we enjoyed in "the good old days!"

Edited by dwelsh

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone here REALLY miss that excellent company?

My 1st cruise with them was on the RV Star, back in 1989 to Bermuda. That was how I got hooked with them!

Then, the so-called bubble got burst when the line decided to fold.

Those roomy cabins ... the friendly crew ... the excellent food.. Leona Helmsley being thrown off the ship......

Ahhhh... great memories!

:)

Great memories is right. Miss the RV Sea and RV Sun. Excellent Service & Food. And how about the murder on the Royal Viking Star sailing from San Fransisco to Alaska. The defence attorney for the accused wrote a book bout it. Unfortunately I can't remember the name. Lent it to somone who never returned it. A year or so later I sailed on her when she was the NCL Westward. Ended up buying books for the Captain and Hotel Manager at their request.

• 3 weeks later...
I still have a 45rpm vinyl record of the sail-a-way song that RVL Star used to play as she left port. It still brings a lump to my throat when I occasionally play it with memories of ports all over the world.

"When she sails away -Like a French Palaise -With the Lord and Ladies Smiling - We have Left the world on the shore - that's what paradise boats are for - She's a lovely sight o'er the waves so bright - like a royal swan she's gliding - We'll be all aboard - going far- on The Royal Viking Star."

Remember it??

?ui=2&ik=0fca83f4b1&view=att&th=124b04b82a6c55ec&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_g1hxtx1b1&zw

You aren't the only ones that gets a lump in their throat. They had a version for each ship -We are all aboard having fun, on the Royal Viking Sun!:D

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody

I worked on the RV Sky from 07.01.89 til 03.07.91. I started off as a Dining Room Waiter, moved onto being a Bar Waiter and transferred then to the reception desk as Receptionist and later on as Purser Assistant. It was an absolute great time. Working for RVL was just IT! The crew, the captians, hotel directors, artists and, last but not least and very important, all those great passenger, agent and other acquaintances i had the privilige to make, will always be an indelible part of my life i would not want to miss for all the money of in the universe (what ever curency ;-)).

Armin

Edited by Indiana Armin

• 4 weeks later...

I'm Louis (Frazao), Portuguese, worked on the SEA 1976 / 77 & SKY 1978 / 79 / 80 /81 in the d/room. :confused: If you know me, please Email me: aaf123a@yahoo.com

I'm also looking for Rosmarie Gantenbein (Romy) , Peter Einfeld, Piero Stafferi, Alex from Gilbraltar, Victor from Malta, Eric from France, Eva from Norway ......... and everyone who knows me.

Hi ROON:

Is Rosmarie Gantenbein known by Romy? Please email me aaf123a@yahoo.com

Hi there-

I replied to your email weeks ago but somehow it got logged into another area on the message board.

YES- all of those names you mentioned ring a big bell:)

I am currently in touch with Rosmarie Gantenbein- she is Swiss. We still vacation together now and then and treasure our times on board the RVL. Gasser was another Swiss night cleaner that i still connect with as well.

Bruce Smith is another american who worked as Captains waiter- he and I are in regular contact too.

Stay well and feel free to write me anytime. Gail:)

• 5 months later...

Hi..

my name is Tim Aurich and i am from germany. i was a winesteward on the Star from late '89 until middle of '90.

A few years back i took a cruise on a Carnival ship and i recognized the maitre'd he was a former waiter from the Star. I remember all the girls on the Star going crazy in New York when michael j. fox brought his mom to the ship. Memories of the party when we were sailing empty to new orleans for the superbowl from ft.lauderdale. our little blackjack table that we were running in the cabins.....a few guys still owe me money....you know who you are :o). $1 beers in the crewbar. Bottles of linie aquavit on the officer's tables at captains dinner. the passenger who had filet mignon every night who i knew from cunard princess where she did the same thing. power failure for 2-3 hours. bomb threat in st.maarten didnt get back to the ship until about 10p. got all buzzed at the beach bar and still had dinner service. and many more...fond memories.... and the star song as cheesy as it might be brings tears to my eyes,,,,,,

I actually asked my wife to marry me on the Royal Viking Star at the Captains Night on the way to Bermda. We had just received our champagne when I pulled the ring out and asked her to spend the rest of her life with me. We have been cruising ever since...now though, its with our children and grandchildren :eek:.

Would love to see pictures if anyone has any from the R/V Star back in the day.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Hi-

I worked on the RVL- Star, Sky and Sea from 1974-1981. The adventures on and off board were exciting- truly an experience of a lifetime. I don't believe there is anything quite like Royal Viking Lines- she remains in a league of her own.

What great memories! All of us that had the pleasure of sailing with her were most fortunate. Maybe we know each other?

Gail:)

I took a cruise on the RV Sea in 1974 and it was a wonderful journey. I made friends with several of the crew members, and spent a lot of time with the photographer, whose name was Michael. Did you work with him on the same ship? If so, let me know.

(I can't figure out how to send a private message on this board, but if you know how then please do so and I will respond.)