Taking a sandwich to go?

jojabis

Really, why would you want to pack a sandwich off the ship? You are on a wonderful vacation with more food available than you could ever consume. You can get off the ship, go on a tour or just take in the sites and return to the ship for lunch, then go back out for more sites.

Or....and here is a crazy idea.....why not eat lunch in the port????? I know it might cost a few dollars, but you are on vacation!!! Live it up!!!

Bottled water is perfectly fine to take off the ship - in fact they will be selling at gangway for way too much money!

The truth is there is bugs, bug parts, bug eggs in much of what we eat - our systems can handle most of it.

The problem lies in the discarded apple core that may have eggs in it for some bug that the crops in whatever port have never seen before and there is no natural system in place to keep that bug in check, that can wreak havoc on an eco system - truly one bad apple...

Thank you to the posters who helped explain this to me. I just had no idea about any of this. Being new it would never have dawned on me to even take food off the ship, but I am glad that I can take off bottled water. However, I was just confused as to why it could destroy a country's ego system. Fascinating stuff. I kind of feel lilke the time I learned what hotdogs contained and it was years before I'd eat another one. I just truly had no idea that bug larvae etc. is in my everyday food. Think I was happier not knowing that.

SDMike gave you a great answer. I will add this to it: Whomever is concerned about a ham sandwich you might be carrying in a plastic baggie has NO idea where you got it, it can be assumed, but they really can't be sure. For all they know, you slaughtered a very sick pig you found in Timbuktu, smoked the ham yourself while visiting relatives in Southeast Asia, baked some bread from a contaminated wheat crop in India, and kept it stored openly in a warehouse full of bug larvae, snuck it onboard the ship, made a sandwich, and brought it into the port. Now I know that's very extreme, but THAT's why they have regulations.. Prepackaged food that is labeled for inspection, and is safe for export, border crossings, etc is fine if the country you are visiting allows it, so unopened, inspected, labeled, prepackaged food is usually ok. The unopened bottled water is the same, fine to be brought ashore. Every port I have ever been to has easily purchased snacks and soft drinks (Egypt, Morocco, Russia, Turkey, Caribbean islands, etc) that are packaged and deemed considered safe as well. For those concerned about getting food-borne diseases/viruses from port food, eat prepackaged food, check for US or own gov't inspections on the packaging if need be! In my life and travels (circumnavigating the world more than four times) I have gotten food poisoning three times, twice in the USA (CA and MA) and once in the Dominican Republic at an all inclusive resort. I like to try new foods, use a few restrictions when they make sense, and take the advice of locals. Those who are more frightened may want to stick with the prepackaged stuff.

There are very strict regulations in many countries, and even our own states, about importing certain foods, etc, and for good reason. The easiest example might by the Mediterranean Fruit Fly that has (over the years of coming and going) devastated crops in Florida, Hawaii, and California. For all we know, it was brought in by someone who unknowingly brought a contaminated apple in their purse on a flight from somewhere else. Hawaii has VERY strict rules about bringing in fruit from the mainland US, hence the "agriculture beagles" at their airports. As you might know, most of the provisions on any sailing can come from anywhere - for example, the Sun sailing from Copenhagen brings it's produce in from all over Europe AND the USA. Most of it's meats are imported from the US. I would guess that the majority of POA's food comes from the mainland as well. All these items are packaged, inspected and approved for shipment to wherever they are headed, so it's not a problem. But, if you have an apple in your bag on a shore excursion, once again, shore inspectors have no idea where YOU brought it from, hence the rules... I remember how sad I was giving up my prepackaged but not-legal-for-export chorizo upon arrival from Spain back to the USA - but I understand.. I also remember losing a pair of good hiking boots to customs after returning from rural South Africa - they were covered in dried mud and I have since learned to clean and disinfect my boots after visiting rural farms and villages..

hope this all makes sense! :)

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to SDMike for his explanation, and thanks Fishbait for this excellent detail and scenarios. I totally get it now and boy I just never would have imagined. It all makes perfect sense and I sure hope no one would break such an important rule, but we all know there will always be someone who does.

actually, if the ship is aware of your special dietary needs they will pack you a suitable lunch to go on excursions with. maybe i'm wrong, but i've always assumed if they pack it for you knowing you are leaving the ship with it, you can take it with you. No, i didn't report in to the port authority when exiting the ship and have them check my food before proceeding to my excursion, and perhaps that is an incorrect assumption, but that's really the best some of us can do.

I don't think there's any exception for special diets. I asked if I could get some ship's kosher food packed to take ashore and was told they could not due to regulations. Maybe if the port is NCL's private island, it might be worth asking again.

I remember in the airport in Hawaii the police had dogs continually walking and sniffing, I thought for drugs. I was mortified when the dog signaled my mom's bag and the officer asked to look in it. Well we had brought apples with us and there was an apple and banana quarantine and we had to throw out the apples. So, lesson learned, those dogs ain't just lookin' for drugs!:eek:

One thing people should be aware of is these precautions are absolutely CRITICAL when entering Hawaii from elsewhere (the mainland or other countries) because Hawaii is VERY susceptable to ecological and crop damage from ANYTHING agricultural from elsewhere.

HOWEVER this may NOT be a problem for POA passengers (as opposed to those on other cruiseships) because POA does not leave Hawaiian waters. If I was a POA passenger I would check on-board and then follow whatever rules DO apply. I know when we were on the Big Island some years ago - there was a very strict ban on for any fruits and vegetables from OAHU - because of some sort of outbreak there (caused by someone smuggling in agricultural produce from ELSEWHERE).

I have three real concerns about bringing food ashore at ports.

1.) While I do agree that after paying thousands for a cruise, the cost of port food shouldn't matter, it does when I have budgeted and saved for this wonderful vacation. I do not buy souvenirs and do DIY excursions. So every extra $ I spend means one less drink or specialty restaurant I can enjoy.

2.) Certainly the above point is not crucial and not worth harming a place's eco-system. However, I have diabetes and my husband has diverticulitis and we must eat specific types of food on a regimented schedule. Traveling to visit places one to two hours away from the port could make securing appropriate food very difficult. Also, I don't want to waste time eating in restaurants when I am trying to see as many world renowned sights as possible.

3.) I would be fine solving the problem by bringing packaged food from home, even on a transatlantic flight, but I have seen the following warning in the NCL Freestyle Daily. "Please note that food (hot, raw or unpacked/packed) or any open drink containers will not be allowed to be brought onboard or taken off the ship."

I have always received great advice on these boards and would welcome suggestions now.

1.) While I do agree that after paying thousands for a cruise, the cost of port food shouldn't matter, it does when I have budgeted and saved for this wonderful vacation. I do not buy souvenirs and do DIY excursions. So every extra $ I spend means one less drink or specialty restaurant I can enjoy.

2.) Certainly the above point is not crucial and not worth harming a place's eco-system. However, I have diabetes and my husband has diverticulitis and we must eat specific types of food on a regimented schedule. Traveling to visit places one to two hours away from the port could make securing appropriate food very difficult. Also, I don't want to waste time eating in restaurants when I am trying to see as many world renowned sights as possible.

3.) I would be fine solving the problem by bringing packaged food from home, even on a transatlantic flight, but I have seen the following warning in the NCL Freestyle Daily. "Please note that food (hot, raw or unpacked/packed) or any open drink containers will not be allowed to be brought onboard or taken off the ship."

I have always received great advice on these boards and would welcome suggestions now.

Prepackaged food is sold almost everywhere in the world, and the private tour operators will stop for a few minutes so you can find what you need.

No. 3 is not applicable to prepackaged foods that are sealed. You can certainly bring crackers, candy bars, granola bars etc.

Prepackaged food is sold almost everywhere in the world, and the private tour operators will stop for a few minutes so you can find what you need.

I'm not sure what tours you've been on but I seriously doubt if a bus load of 40 people would appreciate stopping to wait for an individual to pick up a few items anywhere unless if was a matter of life or death.

I'm not sure what tours you've been on but I seriously doubt if a bus load of 40 people would appreciate stopping to wait for an individual to pick up a few items anywhere unless if was a matter of life or death.

I have never booked a PRIVATE tour with 40 people, and would not do so. DIY excursions are different than bus tours.

So this is what we have learned.

It's against ship rules and local laws to take unpackaged food items off the ship.

Some ignore these rules and do it anyway, and think it's ok because they're special, think rules are for someone else, or don't know them

It's sorta like all the booze threads on CC :D

So true. Of course I don't know of any cases where smuggled booze actually caused damage to an ecosystem, but you never know.;)

You really don't want to read the FDA regulations on what can be contained in food. Nothing that can hurt you, but can surprise you.

While it might be/seem rare, the results of something in can be devastating. Fruit fly larvae hiding in an apple somewhere is something you would never notice. California has agricultural inspection stations at the borders along freeways to prevent people from bringing in fruit and plants from neighboring states, primarily to keep certain insects (like the fruit fly) from getting into our agricultural areas.

While the policies can't really prevent contamination, it can certainly slow it down.

I'll add "again." Last time was such a treat for all of us...not. It was especially a PITA having to schedule life around malathion drops. And then there were the thousands of hours and millions of dollars the whole mess cost everyone. I suppose that's one reason I'm a pretty vocal proponent of follow the agricultural laws everywhere.

beachchick

Archived