Taking a sandwich to go?

jojabis

I dont think anyone is talking about taking a steak dinner off or a fruit basket what I took off was a couple bottled water and pack of crackers some little choclate candies.. I wouldnt see a problem taking a pbj sandwich off.. But Fruit is a big no no

Maybe not fruit baskets. But people definitely are talking about taking fruit off the ship. Even that PBJ is a no-no despite the fact that you don't see a problem with it. Port officials would. They know that opened food can easily end up carrying insect eggs, so the discarded bread could introduce something unwanted that cross-contaminated on board. Gross, but true.

As a follow-up question to all, does pleading to the local port/agricultural inspectors about how the laws shouldn't apply to <so-and-so> because <extra-specialness> actually work?

No. You get caught, they won't accept your excuses. The fine will be outrageous, and you may end up locked up until after the ship leaves.

Plus, those with medical issues should already know to have packaged food with them at all times because it won't go bad and will be available when they need it rather than taking a chance on something that sat around to long, went bad in the heat, or attracted pests.

I bet many that do this would be outraged if someone they viewed as a foreigner took food off in a cruise in a US port that introduced an invasive pest that cost millions to fight. Yet they think the opposite is just fine despite being aware of the regulations prohibiting it.

I'm waiting for the post where someone is caught and fined and is outraged that NCL didn't do strict searches to catch it before they got off the ship...

NCL Hawaii cruises are completely done on Hawaiian Islands (US), so there is no way you can bring anything foreign into their ports from the ship.

Assuming you didn't bring anything with you TO the ship. ;)

Was this recently? I recall that when I first started cruising, in the late 80s, NCL offered box lunches to anyone who requested one in advance of a port stop. But I thought they didn't do such a thing as a box lunch anymore.

October 2010. Same cruise, i had to throw away the croissant but was given a lunch box by the ship. Cozumel.

We purchased the ship's excursion to Tulum. It included the lunch box provided by NCL. I have never seen lunch boxes provided by the ship anywhere on other excursions. Perhaps they don't do that anymore? Frankly, I enjoyed the spicy fish tacos in the small eatery at Tulum. The lunch box was given to the guide to pass onto someone in need.

And I totally understand that we cannot take certain food off the ship.

I'm very confused. Don't get me wrong, I've never cruised before so I never even gave it a thought about taking food into a port, but what confuses me is the posters who say the rule is in place so that no one contaminates their crops etc. How would that work? I would hope that the food on the cruise ship isn't contaminated with insects, larvae or whatever! Obviously I know it can be an extremely rare thing, but I can't imagine having to worry about laid insect eggs in my food while eating on board! Am I missing something? Also, it did make me wonder, are you permitted to take bottled water that hasn't been opened? If it isn't permissible, is bottled water or cola readily available in all ports? I don't care if I have to buy water in port since I do realize they depend on tourists to spend money in these ports, but I do want to make sure that you can pop into little stores etc. and pick up what you may want or need while walking around or on an excursion.

I'm very confused. Don't get me wrong, I've never cruised before so I never even gave it a thought about taking food into a port, but what confuses me is the posters who say the rule is in place so that no one contaminates their crops etc. How would that work? I would hope that the food on the cruise ship isn't contaminated with insects, larvae or whatever! Obviously I know it can be an extremely rare thing, but I can't imagine having to worry about laid insect eggs in my food while eating on board! Am I missing something? Also, it did make me wonder, are you permitted to take bottled water that hasn't been opened? If it isn't permissible, is bottled water or cola readily available in all ports? I don't care if I have to buy water in port since I do realize they depend on tourists to spend money in these ports, but I do want to make sure that you can pop into little stores etc. and pick up what you may want or need while walking around or on an excursion.

You really don't want to read the FDA regulations on what can be contained in food. Nothing that can hurt you, but can surprise you.

While it might be/seem rare, the results of something in can be devastating. Fruit fly larvae hiding in an apple somewhere is something you would never notice. California has agricultural inspection stations at the borders along freeways to prevent people from bringing in fruit and plants from neighboring states, primarily to keep certain insects (like the fruit fly) from getting into our agricultural areas.

While the policies can't really prevent contamination, it can certainly slow it down.

so are you telling bringing a rum cake back from wherever is wrong to?

Depends. Generally rum cakes are cooked and packaged expressly for shipment...just like buying packaged and boxed smoked salmon in Alaska. Would buying a rum cake baked locally and in a box be against policy to bring on board? Probably so. Would they stop you? Probably

On a side note (since we're talking about what can be brought on ship), on my Jewel cruise some young gentleman got pulled aside while getting back onto the ship in Skagway. Seems he had purchased a set of metal handcuffs and security was uncomfortable with him having those available on the ship. Guess they thought there was risk of a hostage situation or something :rolleyes:. What makes it funnier is that they were in a box that said, in bold letters, "Kinky Lover's Cuffs"

The young gentleman and his partner, also a young gentleman, were quite embarrassed by the attention.

The same security guards allowed me to bring on a souvenir pocket knife and ulu knive set with no problem (just put them in your luggage, sir. Don't take them out). Guess a 50 something married guy with kids didn't fit their risk profile

Bottled water is perfectly fine to take off the ship - in fact they will be selling at gangway for way too much money!

The truth is there is bugs, bug parts, bug eggs in much of what we eat - our systems can handle most of it.

The problem lies in the discarded apple core that may have eggs in it for some bug that the crops in whatever port have never seen before and there is no natural system in place to keep that bug in check, that can wreak havoc on an eco system - truly one bad apple...

by the way, folks, there are also very specific rules regarding ship ballast tanks that are intended to address the same risks. Ships carry tens of thousands of gallons of sea water in ballast tanks in order to stabilize the ride and maintain proper draft. Think of all the things that could have gotten sucked into those tanks (various planktons, larvae, etc.), and what could happen if they dumped all those things in a water body also ill equipped to deal with the non-native intruder.

I'm going to get flamed for this...

Wow. I never knew how many people cared only about their own interests for a few hours versus possibly destroying a country's livestock or farming operations by bringing meat or fruit ashore. Yes' date=' the odds are low, but it happens.

Please, if you must bring food ashore, pick up something pre packaged from the ship or bring it from home. The rules and regulations regarding meat, fruit and vegetables are made for good reasons, not as an inconvenience nor as a way to increase revenues from cruise ship passengers. As previous posters have said, even people with extreme dietary restrictions are able to follow these regulations and keep the ports intact for future visits.

I'm going looking for my flame-retardant suit now...[/quote']

I agree with you!!

Never underestimate the power of the Special Pleading fallacy!:D

actually, if the ship is aware of your special dietary needs they will pack you a suitable lunch to go on excursions with. maybe i'm wrong, but i've always assumed if they pack it for you knowing you are leaving the ship with it, you can take it with you. No, i didn't report in to the port authority when exiting the ship and have them check my food before proceeding to my excursion, and perhaps that is an incorrect assumption, but that's really the best some of us can do.

Depends. Generally rum cakes are cooked and packaged expressly for shipment...just like buying packaged and boxed smoked salmon in Alaska. Would buying a rum cake baked locally and in a box be against policy to bring on board? Probably so. Would they stop you? Probably

Earlier this year on CC a man complained his wife was on board sick and he tried to bring her back pastries from a port and the officials would not permit it.

When we were in Puerto Montt in Chile on the Sun there were WONDERFUL German pastry shops. Our excursion guide told us to enjoy in port but NCL would not allow them brought back on board.

SDMike gave you a great answer. I will add this to it: Whomever is concerned about a ham sandwich you might be carrying in a plastic baggie has NO idea where you got it, it can be assumed, but they really can't be sure. For all they know, you slaughtered a very sick pig you found in Timbuktu, smoked the ham yourself while visiting relatives in Southeast Asia, baked some bread from a contaminated wheat crop in India, and kept it stored openly in a warehouse full of bug larvae, snuck it onboard the ship, made a sandwich, and brought it into the port. Now I know that's very extreme, but THAT's why they have regulations.. Prepackaged food that is labeled for inspection, and is safe for export, border crossings, etc is fine if the country you are visiting allows it, so unopened, inspected, labeled, prepackaged food is usually ok. The unopened bottled water is the same, fine to be brought ashore. Every port I have ever been to has easily purchased snacks and soft drinks (Egypt, Morocco, Russia, Turkey, Caribbean islands, etc) that are packaged and deemed considered safe as well. For those concerned about getting food-borne diseases/viruses from port food, eat prepackaged food, check for US or own gov't inspections on the packaging if need be! In my life and travels (circumnavigating the world more than four times) I have gotten food poisoning three times, twice in the USA (CA and MA) and once in the Dominican Republic at an all inclusive resort. I like to try new foods, use a few restrictions when they make sense, and take the advice of locals. Those who are more frightened may want to stick with the prepackaged stuff.

There are very strict regulations in many countries, and even our own states, about importing certain foods, etc, and for good reason. The easiest example might by the Mediterranean Fruit Fly that has (over the years of coming and going) devastated crops in Florida, Hawaii, and California. For all we know, it was brought in by someone who unknowingly brought a contaminated apple in their purse on a flight from somewhere else. Hawaii has VERY strict rules about bringing in fruit from the mainland US, hence the "agriculture beagles" at their airports. As you might know, most of the provisions on any sailing can come from anywhere - for example, the Sun sailing from Copenhagen brings it's produce in from all over Europe AND the USA. Most of it's meats are imported from the US. I would guess that the majority of POA's food comes from the mainland as well. All these items are packaged, inspected and approved for shipment to wherever they are headed, so it's not a problem. But, if you have an apple in your bag on a shore excursion, once again, shore inspectors have no idea where YOU brought it from, hence the rules... I remember how sad I was giving up my prepackaged but not-legal-for-export chorizo upon arrival from Spain back to the USA - but I understand.. I also remember losing a pair of good hiking boots to customs after returning from rural South Africa - they were covered in dried mud and I have since learned to clean and disinfect my boots after visiting rural farms and villages..

hope this all makes sense! :)

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by the way, folks, there are also very specific rules regarding ship ballast tanks that are intended to address the same risks. Ships carry tens of thousands of gallons of sea water in ballast tanks in order to stabilize the ride and maintain proper draft. Think of all the things that could have gotten sucked into those tanks (various planktons, larvae, etc.), and what could happen if they dumped all those things in a water body also ill equipped to deal with the non-native intruder.

Excellent point! Zebra mussels are an excellent example!

Robin

On a side note (since we're talking about what can be brought on ship), on my Jewel cruise some young gentleman got pulled aside while getting back onto the ship in Skagway. Seems he had purchased a set of metal handcuffs and security was uncomfortable with him having those available on the ship. Guess they thought there was risk of a hostage situation or something :rolleyes:. What makes it funnier is that they were in a box that said, in bold letters, "Kinky Lover's Cuffs"

The young gentleman and his partner, also a young gentleman, were quite embarrassed by the attention.

The same security guards allowed me to bring on a souvenir pocket knife and ulu knive set with no problem (just put them in your luggage, sir. Don't take them out). Guess a 50 something married guy with kids didn't fit their risk profile

This is very funny, thanks for the laugh! Those poor young men! Reminds me of a case I saw once on one of those TV court shows about a woman suing a flight attendant over exposing her "vibrating device" on a plane full of people. The FA heard the noise coming from her bag, asked her to open it (over fear of it being something dangerous) and she was mortified. But why she let them put her case on The People's Court or whatever, I mean, talk about national embarrassment! Hahaha!

I also never understood about the Ulu knives either. They could be fierce weapons! I brought back five of them myself and they never questioned it.. Guess I don't fit the profile either lol...

Robin

Can you wrap up a sandwich or other food item when you go port adventuring?

Now I know you cannot take food from the ship into foreign ports, but I will be traveling down the coast of the US in October. Is it allowed then since these are not foreign ports?

Now I know you cannot take food from the ship into foreign ports, but I will be traveling down the coast of the US in October. Is it allowed then since these are not foreign ports?

No, for the reasons stated by fishbait above. They really don't have any idea where your food came from unless it's prepackaged and inspected

No, once it's onboard it's contanimated.

We got stuck in the Dome in Long Beach because a couple left the previous cruise on a sea day.:eek: Even though the food was just loaded nothing could be brought off to feed us.

It's very interesting watching the garbage come off the ship. It's all pallet wrapped and labeled.

The Med Fruit Fly invasion was horrible. Our neighborhoods were crop dusted with Malathion. Everything outside (animals included, no idea what people did with their horses and other large livestock) had to be brought indoors or covered. After the fourth time I got real good at wrapping the swingset.

The next day everything was sticky and had to be washed off.

Of course we were sprayed in the late spring/summer. Air conditioning and fans turned off, vents closed.

No, once it's onboard it's contanimated.

We got stuck in the Dome in Long Beach because a couple left the previous cruise on a sea day.:eek: Even though the food was just loaded nothing could be brought off to feed us.

How horrible But how do you leave a cruise on a sea day.. And how did you get stuck in the dome? Im confused

Archived