Taking a sandwich to go?

jojabis

You can bring pre packaged foods ashore, so some of us parents will grab a box of Cheerios to go. If there were packaged crackers etc, you could take that too. Otherwise bringing food ashore is strictly forbidden, as it is at many international borders.

No. There are usually reminders in the dailies, and signs by the exit with a trash bin. Be aware that this is usually due to regulations at that port prohibiting food and produce from being brought in, and that port officials have the right to search and fine violators.

Bringing food back on is usually not allowed either. (Again, packaged food is the exception.)

No. They made me throw away a croissant. (NCL)

At the same time we were on a ship's excursion in Cozumel (NCL Dawn excursion to Tulum) and they gave us lunch boxes prepared by the ship: tuna salad sandwich, apple, cookie and water.:rolleyes: So I do not understand why the ship's croissant was not good enough but the tuna salad sandwich was???!!!

BTW In the hot weather, by lunch time, the tuna sandwich was not fit to be eaten! :eek:

Now having said that I have seen many people carry away fruits, cookies, muffins, bread for themselves or to feed the fish. So who knows why they do not stop them!

At the same time we were on a ship's excursion in Cozumel (NCL Dawn excursion to Tulum) and they gave us lunch boxes prepared by the ship: tuna salad sandwich, apple, cookie and water

Was this recently? I recall that when I first started cruising, in the late 80s, NCL offered box lunches to anyone who requested one in advance of a port stop. But I thought they didn't do such a thing as a box lunch anymore.

Actually, I have seen people do this several times. They wrap up stuff and put in their purses. I don't think NCL checks every ladies purse or anyone's back pack as they leave the ship.

Now me personally, I wouldn't do it.:D

They don't do box lunches anymore. Certain ship sponsored excursions might have approval to package lunches, although I have not noticed this in the past several years. Usually if there is food on an excursion, it is provided by the tour operator. These countries make their rules regarding food items and we should probably pay attention. They don't want unwelcome visitors (bugs etc) coming into their country and we here in the U.S. are the same way. Many of our unwelcome guest have come from ships entering our ports. Why not just purchase locally or wait until you reboard?

While bringing food off the ship at a port is prohibited, I think the real reason is that they want you to buy their food not because they are afraid that you will introduce some type of blight on their agriculture. We have taken cereal and fruit off the ship to have at the beach. I usually bring a small collapsable cooler, buy a bucket of beers, fill it with ice and head off to the beach. Never been stopped.

What about the 'private islands', GSC in NCL's case? They bring food off the ship to cater the island barbecue luncheon, so what would be the difference? Say you wanted to bring some fruit that you were not sure would be available at the luncheon, or some favorite cookies, etc. Do you think that would be allowable?

I would think, probably not, just to insure consistancy in their policy, even if there was no regulation applying at that particular port.....

What about the 'private islands', GSC in NCL's case? They bring food off the ship to cater the island barbecue luncheon, so what would be the difference? Say you wanted to bring some fruit that you were not sure would be available at the luncheon, or some favorite cookies, etc. Do you think that would be allowable?

I would think, probably not, just to insure consistancy in their policy, even if there was no regulation applying at that particular port.....

Nope

Can you wrap up a sandwich or other food item when you go port adventuring?

I take food off with me at every port if i'm planning to be off for most of the day simply because I have a special diet and can't be assured that I can find food once i'm off the ship. I have never been stopped. If asked, I wouldn't lie about it, but I simply pack it, and hope for the best. No one has asked, and it's been no problem.

although its highly unlikely it is possible to bring to the island a insect or small critter that the natural habitat has no local animals or insects that can stop it from breeding out of control.here in the us we are fighting many invasive species from abroad,asian beetle,snake head fish to name a few.lets not destroy the places we call paradise to save a few bucks on a sandwich

My husband has diabetes and needs to eat every two hours. Sometimes we are going to be on long bus rides on excursions. When we are, and he will have no opportunity get other food, we take cheese from the breakfast buffet with us or coldcuts in his backpack. Nobody inspects the backpacks when you leave, and as he is going to be eating the meat and cheese within two hours or less, I hardly think any country's agricultural community is going to be damaged. We also keep nuts with us but those are not from the ship. He sometimes can't eat the lunch offering if lunch is included on the excursion and needs what he takes with us.

My husband has diabetes and needs to eat every two hours. Sometimes we are going to be on long bus rides on excursions. When we are, and he will have no opportunity get other food, we take cheese from the breakfast buffet with us or coldcuts in his backpack. Nobody inspects the backpacks when you leave, and as he is going to be eating the meat and cheese within two hours or less, I hardly think any country's agricultural community is going to be damaged. We also keep nuts with us but those are not from the ship. He sometimes can't eat the lunch offering if lunch is included on the excursion and needs what he takes with us.

diabetics, allergies...there are many reasons some of us simply need to carry some food off. I carry only what I need to survive the day and its not about saving money. it's a matter of being able to eat something- its not really an option! much like you, it has never been an issue.

My mother in law takes a sandwich wherever she goes. Not because she has any special dietary needs, but because she thinks about food constantly and if she doesn't have something available immediately she gets obsessed with it. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize she did this in Juneau until she asked if we could stop somewhere so she could eat her sandwich. Nobody asked or checked when we left the ship, apparently.

I'm a fan of picking us something local if I'm hungry, or waiting. I also always have a couple of protein bars in my backpack, whether I'm cruising or traveling for work.

I'm trying to understand. The cruise line and the country your are visiting ask you to not take food ashore, but, because it's not convenient for you, or you don't want to buy local food. You will do your own thing!

I'm diabetic and it has never been an issue for me. If you cannot find local food that is satisfactory for you, why not eat on the ship?

As other posters have said, we have issues here in the U.S. as does Canada, with things that have been imported.

It has been clearly stated, if you need emergency food while ashore, you can take packaged food with you, bring something from home that will be your cheap/emergency food. Taking meat and cheese from the ship are two of the items most countries specifically prohibit.

What kind of medical conditions do people have that would prevent them for surviving a few hours with prepackaged food? On our last cruise, I had a 7 year old with celiac, and it's hard to find gluten free food, especially not contaminated with wheat (I can't just take croutons off a salad). I just packed up some gf bars, had her eat a big breakfast, and fed her when we got back on the ship. Sure, meat, cheese, and fruit from the buffet would've been easy and nice, but not allowed.

Wow.. Last cruise we stopped by the buffet on the way out and picked up a quick snack.. I dont think sandwiches in a backpack is very noticable.. Maybe if were fisting it on the way off they would say something.. But who cares about a ham sandwich / bag of chips

Archived