Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Carib Review: Fun on the FREEDOM!!!

Hi Sherri

Loved, loved, loved this review (and the Serenade too).

Will you be posting Compasses from either of them, please? I know you said you didn't have such a great relationship with your scanner but wondered if one of the Klingons might assist?!

On Freedom ourselves in 9 weeks and Serenade next July so would love to see them if you still have them / have the time / patience to do it.

Thanks

Carol

We have really enjoyed your review of Freedom. We will be sailing on her next May. We were in St. Thomas a couple of years ago, and went up the mountain on the lift. While we were up there, there was a man with a donkey. Her name was "Monica Lewinski". We took a picture with her, but we don't know how to post pictures. She had sunglasses on and a hat. Very cute donkey.

Sherri, I spent a full day reading your review from your Serenade cruise and now was so happy to get to read your Freedom review. We are sailing on her this weekend on the Eastern Caribbean route as well (did the Western in April). I will be sailing with my mom and my own Klingons...14.5 and 10.

I was hesitating about doing a tour but after reading your review of Bernards, I decided I'm convincing mom that we're doing one. I think we'll skip the long beach stop, as the boys are not into sand or salt water, so a brief stop will be fine, and I definitely want to do the French side and have the boys see the planes at Maho.

So I'll wait for her to turn up today (not answering her cell at the moment) and will book his tour for our trip next week.

Thank you for your wonderful reports, and I will definitely be using your previous one as a guide when I take the boys on our future European adventure.

Maybe if everyone that has viewed this fabulous review sent Sherri a $1.00 we could convince hubby Mike to take another cruise. We' date=' in the end would benefit from another entetaining review. Seriously 49,000 views they could probably take the Klingons too!!!! Thanks Sherri for the great reviews.

Sue[/quote']

Not a bad idea...start selling your reviews on eBay, Sherri. :D I'll gladly pay more for a condensed version on your blog so that DH will read it. ;)

Ok Sherry, now I that I've finished your Serenade and your Freedom review, I don't know what to do with my spare time! Please tell me you have another cruise coming up! Thanks for taking the time to post these detailed and humorous reviews. Really enjoyed them.

Yes, I do!

Because...I turn it on...and it takes pictures! :) (I'm easy like that.)

And it's easy to upload my photos to my laptop, which is even better! :)

i NEED an easy camera. DH always gets frustrated with me cause i don't know how to work my equipment. :) i would like one that takes quick pictures so i can take a couple in a row if i want. does yours do that? that's really my main concern is not having to wait forever till it's ready to take a picture and by the time it is, i've miss the photo op. grrr. :eek: thanks!

Oh Sherri (I can't believe I just typed that - all Steve Perry style...)! You're very busy today with the updates! I had to catch up.

Thanks for the info on the Flowrider. Nope, I wouldn't be spinning and twirling anyway, so I'm all good for our cruise.

I love that you had Elvis. Brought back some great memories. Did he have you singing "On a Sunday (woo-oooh woo-oooh!), Monday (woo-oooh woo-ooh!), ...every day of the week!"? My daughter and her best friend (now 20 and 19) still sing that song when we talk about our 2010 cruise (when they were 18 and 17). Loads of fun. We also did Sapphire Beach and loved it.

I am (also) a Disney fan and I thought the Striped Crew Guy seemed like a Disney Cast Member, walking by, pausing and joining in the toothpick puzzle situation. I love when people go that extra mile.

I can't imagine being all sore like that while on vacation. I hope to hear the hot tub did wonders for you.

Interested in your take on Bernards Tours. We had booked them in 2010 but were too tired to tour that day and backed out. I thought about them for our upcoming cruise, but right now we're committed to a simple Maho Beach caravan. I'm interested to hear how Orient and Marigot are. You may change my mind!

we had Sonny's wife, Gina as our driver and she had us singing the sunday, monday, etc. song. i LOVED it. and she was awesome. our safari bus stuck with sonny's all day so everywhere we stopped, both buses were together so we had wife and hubby. lots and lots of fun!

Conclusion: REVIEW OF SHIP

Here, I want to focus specifically on the Freedom of the Seas, and our thoughts and impressions. For a brief background, I have ONLY sailed on RCI ships…here is my sailing history:

Serenade of the Seas (2004, 2012)

Radiance of the Seas (2005, 2007)

Brilliance of the Seas (2009)

Vision of the Seas (2006)

Freedom of the Seas (2012)

As you can see, I predominantly sail on the Radiance-class ships, as I like the mid-ship “feel”….and I like the beauty of the Radiance ships.

ROOM

We booked #9202, located on Deck 9 in the VERY front of the ship.

The Pros: Adequate space (and storage space) for two people. Loved the "space capsule" shower with it's adjustable height and water pressure; we always had hot water. Loved looking out our port hole and seeing where the ship was going. We also loved the fact that our little tiny hallway was quiet and remote. We didn't have groups going by, runners running by, etc. It was very peaceful. The beds were extremely comfortable and we were always comfortable with the room temperature in the cabin.

Cons: It's a heck of a walk to get there! Also...you can't have your curtains open in the evening, as the light from your cabin will interfere with the officers on the Bridge. The ship's motion is felt more up front.

Conclusion: The motion of the ship would prevent me from booking this cabin again...I guess I'm more sensitive to motion than I thought, so it will be back to the "hump" for me.

SHIP

The Freedom of the Seas is a beautiful ship - it blew me away from the minute I stepped onboard. It IS large, however...which initially threw me for a loop. However, by the end of the first day, I was quite comfortable with the size and navigation. The LCD touch-screen maps were an awesome feature, and helped tremendously.

Pool: We found the pool adequate for our needs, although the chairs fill up pretty quickly. I hated the towel policy, but I know RCI has been forced to do this. I enjoyed the big screen video, but I didn't always like the choices of movies they showed.

Gym: No complaints with the gym; plenty of equipment, although we didn't use it.

Spa: Services were good; we DID feel a bit more pressure to purchase the spa products onboard.

DINING

I will divide this into several sections, to make it easier:

1. Windjammer

2. Main Dining Room

3. My Time Dining

4. Specialty Restaurants (Chops; Portofino; Sorrento's; Cafe Promenade)

5. Room Service

Windjammer

Sigh. It's a buffet. I hate the chaos and the crowds, but it is what it is...and the food is hit or miss on quality, depending on what you choose. I did miss the outdoor seating that the Radiance-class ships offer.

Main Dining Room

Loved it. The service was fantastic; the food was much better than the SAME food I'd had on the Serenade. The Head Waiter, Edwin, was pro-active; not just with us, but with other diners, as well. He chatted with most of the guests every night; wouldn't be too snooty to serve a salad if needed; and took care of his stations. Loved him. Loved Sunil and Vincent, as well. Class acts all the way.

My Time Dining

Once again, this worked perfectly for us. We had made reservations ahead of time, and was always seated immediately...even if we showed up 45 minutes before our reservation.

Specialty Restaurants

A Mother/Daughter trip - so I didn't eat at Portofino or Chops. Drat. However, we did eat at Sorrento's Pizza quite a bit. Pizza was always hot; usually pretty tasty. Not the best pizza, but not the worst - and a good change from the usual Windjammer buffet for lunch. We also enjoyed the offerings at Cafe Promenade, especially the (free!) cookies.

Room Service

I forgot about it and never used it! Another drat!

ENTERTAINMENT AND ACTIVITIES

Graham Seymour was our CD, and he was the best CD we've ever had. Loved him. Loved his sense of humor. Loved the myriad of activities offered onboard; there was never a dull moment nor a "blank space" in the Compass.

The Rock Britannia and 70's Party are "do-not-miss" events onboard; we also enjoyed the Freedom Fest street fair.

The entertainment (shows, headliners, etc) were top-notch in quality. There was never a show that bored us or had us walking out early.

CROWN & ANCHOR PERKS

We began (and ended) this cruise as Diamond members. We didn’t use the Diamond lounge in the evenings, as children were not allowed and I was traveling with a (almost!) 13-year old. We did use a couple of coupons from our Diamond book, and we used the Priority check-in line at Embarkation.

SERVICE

Outstanding.

CONCLUSION

If I had ANY negatives about the Freedom, they were minor:

1. I missed the glass that is on the Radiance ships, so I sometimes "forgot" I was on a cruise...especially while traversing the Promenade, which felt like my neighborhood shopping mall. A minor negative....

2. It was crowded. Sometimes. The Promenade could get crowded in the evenings, and the Jammer was always crowded. I don't like crowds - never have - so it was a bit disconcerting. BUT - there's always a place to escape to, to avoid the crowds.

Those would be my only two negatives...which aren't much.

Would I sail on the Freedom again?

YOU BETCHA'!!!!

I just have to convince Hubby Mike to go with me. ;)

sherri, what's the towel policy you are saying you didn't like?

wait, what???? NO complaints with the gym?????!!!!! are you kidding?????!!!!! :eek::eek::D:D

Thank you so much the great, informative review! Hubby and I will be sailing Freedom in December. I have just a few questions about your day in St. Thomas....

What time did Sonny Liston Tours get you back to the boat? I know we are supposed to be in port until 7:00 (all aboard I'm assuming is 6:30), but we have 7pm reservations for the Now You See It show that night, so I'm thinking we will need to be back onboard by 5:30 in order to get ready for the show and dinner later that night. Can you request to be back at the ship by a certain time or are the tour times pre-determined?

I had originally planned to just do St Thomas on our own, sky ride to the top of mountain (did you see the sky ride? Is this the same Mountain Top where the Banana Daiquiris are?) and then taxi to Sapphire Beach. However, after seeing your pictures and tour description, I am now thinking about Sonny Liston.

We have already decided on Bernard's for St. Martin.

Thanks for your help!!! Glad you got to enjoy a trip with your daughter. I would love to do something similar in a few years with my (almost) 7 year old DD.

that's a different skyride. the one in st. thomas has the famous bushwacker drink. it's like a frozen mudslide but has baileys, ameretto and several other liquors in it. yikes! but understand that the "free" drink you get on top with the price of the skyride, is the size of a jello shot cup, if you are familiar with that size cup. suffice it to say, it's very very small. :eek:

Thanks for another great review Sherri!

We also did Bernard's tour in March when we were in St. Maarten. Ours was slightly different, we did not go to Rima's or the iguana place and maybe we had more time at the beach or in Marigot to compensate. But we loved the tour for our first visit to the island.

I just wanted to add, for those people looking to see the flights at the Sunset Beach bar. You can check out the flight schedule on their website.

http://www.sunsetsxm.com/index.php/home/arriving-flights

we had Sonny's wife, Gina as our driver and she had us singing the sunday, monday, etc. song. i LOVED it. and she was awesome. our safari bus stuck with sonny's all day so everywhere we stopped, both buses were together so we had wife and hubby. lots and lots of fun!
I thought the singing was what made that tour so much fun! You can follow Sunny Liston on Facebook. He's always showing pics of tours and stuff. Ahhh the memories!

Wow, this took me 3 days to read! :eek:

AWESOME review!! I went on the Freedom in 2006 when she was new, this ship started my obsession for cruising! I just love everything about this ship, it is my favorite i've been on so far.

Loved the pictures by the way, brought back a lot of good memories! :)

Got to show another photo of my DH in Rome. Guess which one he is!

OMG, that had me and Hubby Mike cracking up - too funny!

Sherri, I have been a lurker totally in awe of your writing style, humor and details. Thank you so much for taking the time to write both reviews. We are on the Liberty in the Med for a week next month. Both reviews have been incredibly helpful. We actually decided to go to Eze because of your wonderful photos.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

You're welcome! Have an awesome time on the Liberty - and in Eze! Eze is sooooo pretty!

Your reviews are exceptional. Am now psyched for a Med cruise. Have done two Voyager class which I think are similar to Freedom because they have the Promenade. Loved it for coffee first thing in the am. - would run down before doing the hair etc. Knew you would like it compared to Serenade. I had other issues with Serenade. People walked right thru the middle of the Schooner bar while it had a much more private feel in the bigger ships and the chairs were more comfortable. And the orange juice (in mixed drinks at all the free events,,, welcome back party etc.) was worse than water. Views of the water were great but we always get a balcony. I commented on the Med review that I saw the David statue in Vegas and no one picked up on the statue in the halls of the forum shoppes of Caesar's Palace. lol...Anyhow I don't have the new Janet Evanovich so I will go back to Fifty Shades! Thank you Sherri!

Thank you! :) Yes, the Freedom was amazing...! (Have you read all 3 Fifty Shades yet? Want me to tell you how it ends??!! Kidding!)

Will you be posting Compasses from either of them, please? I know you said you didn't have such a great relationship with your scanner but wondered if one of the Klingons might assist?!

On Freedom ourselves in 9 weeks and Serenade next July so would love to see them if you still have them / have the time / patience to do it.

I'm thinking I may be having to get a new printer/scanner...drat. It's not wanting to cooperate at all, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't have the Freedom compasses (long story), but I have the Serenade. I would for sure have them scanned by next July! :D

We have really enjoyed your review of Freedom. We will be sailing on her next May. We were in St. Thomas a couple of years ago, and went up the mountain on the lift. While we were up there, there was a man with a donkey. Her name was "Monica Lewinski". We took a picture with her, but we don't know how to post pictures. She had sunglasses on and a hat. Very cute donkey.

Have a great time on the Freedom! That donkey has been there forever, it seems!

Sherri, I spent a full day reading your review from your Serenade cruise and now was so happy to get to read your Freedom review. We are sailing on her this weekend on the Eastern Caribbean route as well (did the Western in April). I will be sailing with my mom and my own Klingons...14.5 and 10.

Thank you for your wonderful reports, and I will definitely be using your previous one as a guide when I take the boys on our future European adventure.

Have fun! I will be praying that TS Isaac doesn't affect your plans...I know we're sending Red Cross volunteers to St. Thomas today as we speak, in preparation for the storm. I am SO hoping it falls apart...soon.

Maybe if everyone that has viewed this fabulous review sent Sherri a $1.00 we could convince hubby Mike to take another cruise. We' date=' in the end would benefit from another entetaining review. Seriously 49,000 views they could probably take the Klingons too!!!! Thanks Sherri for the great reviews.

Sue[/quote']

BEST POST EVER!!!!!! Man...if I could get a $1.00 for the 180,000 who've read the Serenade review...I could cruise non-stop!!!!

Not a bad idea...start selling your reviews on eBay, Sherri. :D I'll gladly pay more for a condensed version on your blog so that DH will read it. ;)

Hee hee - I may have to look into that!

Ok Sherry, now I that I've finished your Serenade and your Freedom review, I don't know what to do with my spare time! Please tell me you have another cruise coming up! Thanks for taking the time to post these detailed and humorous reviews. Really enjoyed them.

Drat. I WISH I had another cruise coming up. My only adventure coming up will be with the Red Cross, I think...

Your reviews have been like getting hooked on daily soap operas, and now I am sorry to see them end.

I know how you feel...! I went into mourning when "All My Children" got cancelled...ack. I had been watching Erica Kane since I was 10. :p

i NEED an easy camera. DH always gets frustrated with me cause i don't know how to work my equipment. I would like one that takes quick pictures so i can take a couple in a row if i want. does yours do that?

It's pretty quick! NOT as fast as an SRL camera, but pretty quick!

sherri, what's the towel policy you are saying you didn't like?

wait, what???? NO complaints with the gym?????!!!!! are you kidding?????!!!!! :eek::eek::D:D

That darned scanning your Seapass card to check out a towel...or being charged $25. Sigh.

Well. I think the gym wasn't the problem...it was the idiot who decided she didn't want to flunk Boot Camp and didn't stop when her body was CLEARLY telling her to STOP. :p

Wow, this took me 3 days to read! :eek:

AWESOME review!! I went on the Freedom in 2006 when she was new, this ship started my obsession for cruising! I just love everything about this ship, it is my favorite i've been on so far.

Loved the pictures by the way, brought back a lot of good memories! :)

Well...if you want a LONGER read, then check out the Serenade review below. It may take a week...or two. Hee hee!

Thanks for reading it! :)

I'm thinking I may be having to get a new printer/scanner...drat. It's not wanting to cooperate at all, so I'm not sure what the issue is. I don't have the Freedom compasses (long story), but I have the Serenade. I would for sure have them scanned by next July! :D

Thanks - I'll keep my eye on the thread for when you post them :)

We named our eldest daughter (of three :eek:) Jessica. We figured she'd be Jessie until about the age of 12 of so. Nope, she wanted Jessica, even in pre-school! We've always called her Jessie. I don't think she likes it, because as a teenager she was always "Jess" to her friends, and even as an adult (28 now), she's always been Jess in her jobs.

I wonder if it has something to do with Uncle Jesse on Full House? :rolleyes:

I think I've convince DH to take that Bernard's Tour #1 when we go to St. Martin in December.

I am the same age as your daughter with the same name and Uncle Jesse was the exact reason I refused to let people call me Jessie ... how funny <3

Hi, everyone! I have been off the boards for the last two days, as I've been deployed to Florida to assist with the American Red Cross for Hurricane Isaac. I appreciate everyone's kind comments, suggestions, accolades, etc - you all are awesome! And it's been so encouraging to read all of them!

Some readers have expressed sadness at the "ending" of my cruise reviews; however, I hope you all know of my blog (link below) that has been going on for 4 years now...and has adventures, observations, snippets, etc. Currently, it has reflections of what is going on here while we wait and see what happens with Isaac.

Thanks everyone! Typing this out on my iPad - so excuse the typos!

Thanks so much for your reviews! They were wonderful!! I, too, have spent the last several lunchtimes at work and evenings at home reading your wonderful reviews. I lived in Spain and Italy as a teenager (Navy brat) and would love to go on a med cruise and experience Europe as an adult.

I must say that there is a danger that you will not get any price drops if you announce your next cruise - the ship will fill up immediately and there will be no empty rooms to discount! :eek: RCI owes you for all the Med and Freedom cruises that have been booked since you posted your reviews!!:)

P.S. '62 was a good year :cool: I'll be celebrating with a cruise too!