Middle Aged Drama Queen's Eastern Carib Review: Fun on the FREEDOM!!!

Still LOVING your review! :D Hate to see it end. :mad:

Do you remember what time the KLM flight was scheduled to land at Maho?? That's the one thing we REALLY want to see when we got to St. Martin. :)

I'll take this one, Sherri...

As of right now, the KLM flight is scheduled in to SXM around 11AM. It's flight 785 from Amsterdam. This is quite a bit earlier than I can remember it in quite some time...it used to be scheduled around 2 or 2:30 if my memory serves me right. The up side of it coming in so early now is that you'll get to see it leave for Curacao around 12:30. Before, it didn't leave until around 4PM, and you wouldn't get to see it if you were just there on a cruise stop.

Two things to keep in mind, though...currently, that flight only operates on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. Depending on when you're going, the time and/or schedule could change.

If you're dead set on seeing a 747, Corsair flies one in from Paris a couple days a week. I believe it's on Thursday and Saturday. (Although, they sometimes substitute the A330 for the 747) Air France's flight from Paris is daily. It's a A340, and it is scheduled around 1:30.

There's a steady stream of smaller jets from the US (mainly 757's, A320's and 737's) that start coming in around 11AM until 3 or so. Those can be just as thrilling as the big boys!!

Hope this helps!

-Steve

It took me 2 hours to read this review but I couldn't stop...thank you so much. I will be on FOS in Feb though in the western carribean. Loved all of the info on the boat. Initially I was scheduled to be in 6202 but switched yesterday...after reading about your room I am glad I did make the switch. No hump for me (they are gone already) but centrally located on the ship. You are a very funny woman and I am so glad that you and your daughter had a great experience.

WOW.... thanks for a weekend of getting absolutely nothing done from the honey-do list... Wife and I are gearing up for our Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom, so I had to read your review. Little did I know I was finding a new favorite author. Got hooked into your review and then saw your Med review as well so just had to read that one as well.

I've never been to Europe (always wanted to go), but now I'm ready for my second trip across the pond.

As so many have already said, you really should be published, your writing is THAT GOOD!

Looks like you had a couple of great trips and thank you so much for taking time to write the reviews!

Sherri,

When you were at Sapphire Beach, did you notice if there was a stand where you could get food and drinks? Were there any restrooms and were they clean? I've read many conflicting reviews lately about Sapphire Beach. Some people claim that the food and beverage stand is now closed and the bathrooms are beyond filthy, and others say that there is a place for food and drinks and that the bathrooms are just fine.

We are trying to plan our excursions for our January cruise and we wanted to spend the day at Sapphire Beach, but some of the reviews have us concerned.

Thanks!

We really like Shapphire Beach. We have been there several times. Its nothing like is was 10 years ago when it had a thriving hotel BUT in Nov there was a waiter walking around with a menu and our family loved the food that they delivered right to us on the beach including beer.The couple had just moved to the island and opened a small resturant behind hotel area. The prices were really good compared to other places. Bathrooms werent great but usable.

Oh no, I feel as though I have just been kicked off the ship myself. What am I to do to pass the 200 or so days until my own cruise.

I wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I have spent the past couple weeks reading both of your reviews and have really enjoyed them so much. I have felt as though I was along for the ride, your really do have a talent.

I had a crappy day today so I wanted to hop on CC for a couple minutes and decompress. Well - that was about 5 hours ago because I just read your whole thread from beginning to end. It was the best review I have ever read. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us and thanks so much for taking my mind off my crappy day. I have a 15 (just turned last week) year old daughter who loves to cruise. Maybe someday we'll be on one together with our girls. Thanks again!!!

E-Beth

Sherri - Loving this review, also! I think that Mickey grew up some in between the Serenade cruise, and the Freedom cruise. She is lovely!

We will be on the Liberty, so your Freedom review is helpful...even though we have been on the Liberty before. ;)

Guess where this photo of my husband and I was taken? You will never believe the year! 1979 on our honeymoon. :D Yep! Hardly knew my new husband. We had met just 4 months earlier. Dated only 6 weeks before we were engaged. Now after 33 years of marriage and 3 children, we still feel like we are on our honeymoon. Cruising a bunch helps!

We loved St. Thomas and always said that we would go back and live there someday. That never happened, but we have managed to visit the island many times over our years of cruising. I am jealous that you got to spend a whole summer there! Not as pretty as Santorini (our new place for wanting to live) but pretty special to us. :)

Honeymoon.jpg.6e7fef1973e48534190928caf9fe0f28.jpg

Sherri, I held off from posting until the end and must say that this and the Med review were the best reviews ever! Please hurry and book another cruise. We are all waiting and planning on joining you..hee hee.

Ditto!! Thank you. Your reviews are always so interesting, informative, and truly entertaining! Silver

Thanks Sherri! Another great read....but there is a problem.

Are you sure you didn't forget something? Anything??? Think hard........there must some details you left out. Please! Help me get through the next few weeks until it's Bermuda Time on Explorer!

You've really gotta drag this out more!!;):D

Sherri - this was a great review. We have only sailed Princess so our cruise in October on the Freedom will be a first on RCI. Our daughter is part of the Dreamworks crew and are so anxious to see her in action, hence our switching cruiselines to see her. Thanks for all the little tips on what to do and where to go on board!

I am so sorry that your wonderful review is finished. I spent the last couple of weeks, loading both this and the Med review 2 or 3 times a day, just to see what you had written. Now that it is over, I know that I will experience serious cruise withdrawl until we sail on the AoS ( in 75 days). As others have mentioned, could you please take another cruise soon and review it? Your fans are hungy for more.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post thoughts, pictures and tips. We have done the Med twice and another coming up in '13, but your writing made me feel that we were back as I read. I thought we were "Caribbeaned out", but after reading this review, I am ready to go again. I will miss your family, your humour and feel that I have known you forever. I, like many others that you have entertained, will haunt the CC boards looking for your next review. You must let hubby Mike know that the fans are disaapointed and look forward to seeing his green shirt again in an exotic locale.

Nikki

I'll take this one, Sherri...

As of right now, the KLM flight is scheduled in to SXM around 11AM. It's flight 785 from Amsterdam. This is quite a bit earlier than I can remember it in quite some time...it used to be scheduled around 2 or 2:30 if my memory serves me right. The up side of it coming in so early now is that you'll get to see it leave for Curacao around 12:30. Before, it didn't leave until around 4PM, and you wouldn't get to see it if you were just there on a cruise stop.

Two things to keep in mind, though...currently, that flight only operates on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. Depending on when you're going, the time and/or schedule could change.

If you're dead set on seeing a 747, Corsair flies one in from Paris a couple days a week. I believe it's on Thursday and Saturday. (Although, they sometimes substitute the A330 for the 747) Air France's flight from Paris is daily. It's a A340, and it is scheduled around 1:30.

There's a steady stream of smaller jets from the US (mainly 757's, A320's and 737's) that start coming in around 11AM until 3 or so. Those can be just as thrilling as the big boys!!

Hope this helps!

-Steve

Thanks so much for all this info, my DH will be SO HAPPY! I think the ship is there on Thurs. so if the KLM flight doesn't come that day, at least he'll get to see some others. Thanks again. :)

OH NOOOOOOO....The story has come to an end........what are we suppose to do now?? There must be another cruise coming up quickly that you can write about.....or........or.......maybe a cruise that you took in the past and kept great notes about that you would like to bring back to life for us all to enjoy? :eek:

Thank you for the wonderful journey, will be looking forward to discovering more of your posts/reviews in the future!!

Awesome review! Thank you so much for taking all of us on vacation w/you thru your review. We are still not sure which beach we'll hit next week in St. Thomas, but it beats a day at the office, so exploring will be a lot of fun. Loved all the photos and your wonderful sense of humor and story telling! Happy future cruising!

Thanks again Sherri.

At least now you can get back to reading your "Explosive Eighteen" before her new one comes out. Enjoy!!

Gwen

Thanks, Gwen! I have family in New Jersey - so one day, I may fly up there and take off on a cruise...you never know!

Terrific review! I can say that now you've joined the ranks of THE Kings of Reviews Radio and Trainman as the ones to follow!

I have only one question and I'm sure there are others on these boards that want to know ....

So Sherri...

When are we going on the next cruise?

Wow - thank you! You're too kind!

I'm still working on Hubby Mike...even if he doesn't deign to go with me, I can always drag Mickey along for another Mother/Daughter adventure, right?!

Thank you so very much for an entertaining and enlightening review. It was a joy to read, and I'm sure I'll re-read it again soon to keep the excitement going until I sail on the Freedom of the Seas in October... just 7 weeks away!

Woot - have a GREAT time on the Freedom! Have a (free!) cookie or two for me at the Cafe Promenade!

I was on the fence about Bernard's Tour and you convinced me to book.

I hope you have a great time with Bernard's Tours - be careful of the rum punch, from what I hear! :)

I have really enjoyed reading your trip report! Do have any trip reports to Walt Disney World posted somewhere, I would like to read them?

Actually, for as many times as I've gone, I never wrote a review...although I have EXTENSIVE trip notes from a Mother/Daughter trip last summer...I SHOULD sit down and write a report, as it's never too late, huh?! There's a trip report on the Disboards that someone's just now writing from 2000!

Thanks for the review....I felt as if I were cruising right along with you. We are doing eastern in April aboard the Allure with these ports. Looks like Sarafina's is a must do! Wasn't sure what we were going to do, but now I am sure it will be Sunny Liston for us.

Sarafina's is definitely a must-do! That ham/cheese sandwich was delicious, and be sure to don't forget a dessert! (Like we did - drat!)

Sherri,

Thanks for another great cruise review. I was hoping it might last another couple weeks to tide me over till we leave. :D

Bill

Sorry, Bill - I'll try to have some more drama on my NEXT cruise so we can stretch it out longer!!! Not. Have a GREAT time on your upcoming trip; I'll be living vicariously now through you and others for awhile, until I decide on my next adventure!

Thanks again, Sherrie for the info on the KLM plane coming into Maho. No need to check their schedule, I will try to do it before we leave on our FOS cruise in Oct. Sure hated to see that your review came to an end! :( It was great and I almost feel like I know you & your darling daughter personally! :) Will look forward to your next review when you convince hubby Mike to go on FOS !!!

Aw, thanks! I'm glad Steve could help you with the KLM information - and have a wonderful trip!

Sherri, I held off from posting until the end and must say that this and the Med review were the best reviews ever! Please hurry and book another cruise. We are all waiting and planning on joining you..hee hee.

See - I keep telling Hubby Mike that I need to go on another cruise, like, tomorrow - just so I can keep building on my fan base...! Thanks for posting; I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

It took me 2 hours to read this review but I couldn't stop...thank you so much. I will be on FOS in Feb though in the western carribean. Loved all of the info on the boat. Initially I was scheduled to be in 6202 but switched yesterday...after reading about your room I am glad I did make the switch. No hump for me (they are gone already) but centrally located on the ship. You are a very funny woman and I am so glad that you and your daughter had a great experience.

Thank you SO much! I'm glad you enjoyed it - and you'll enjoy the FOS even more than my review, trust me! Have a GREAT time! :)

WOW.... thanks for a weekend of getting absolutely nothing done from the honey-do list... Wife and I are gearing up for our Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom, so I had to read your review. Little did I know I was finding a new favorite author. Got hooked into your review and then saw your Med review as well so just had to read that one as well.

I've never been to Europe (always wanted to go), but now I'm ready for my second trip across the pond.

As so many have already said, you really should be published, your writing is THAT GOOD!

Looks like you had a couple of great trips and thank you so much for taking time to write the reviews!

Thank you! Hey - whatever I can do to help you get out of that dreaded "Honey-Do" list! Have a wonderful time on the Freedom...and I hope you DO eventually do a Med cruise; they're pretty awesome. :)

We really like Shapphire Beach. We have been there several times. Its nothing like is was 10 years ago when it had a thriving hotel BUT in Nov there was a waiter walking around with a menu and our family loved the food that they delivered right to us on the beach including beer.The couple had just moved to the island and opened a small resturant behind hotel area. The prices were really good compared to other places. Bathrooms werent great but usable.

Sapphire Beach was perfect for our needs that day, for sure! I hate crowds - and Megan's Beach was too crowded. I remember being on Megan's when it was empty....of course, that was 33 years ago! :)

Oh no' date=' I feel as though I have just been kicked off the ship myself. What am I to do to pass the 200 or so days until my own cruise.

I wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your experiences. I have spent the past couple weeks reading both of your reviews and have really enjoyed them so much. I have felt as though I was along for the ride, your really do have a talent.[/quote']

Thank you so much; I'm glad you enjoyed them both! At least you HAVE a cruise planned; I've got nuthin' right now! Gah. I need to work on Hubby Mike some more....!

I had a crappy day today so I wanted to hop on CC for a couple minutes and decompress. Well - that was about 5 hours ago because I just read your whole thread from beginning to end. It was the best review I have ever read. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us and thanks so much for taking my mind off my crappy day. I have a 15 (just turned last week) year old daughter who loves to cruise. Maybe someday we'll be on one together with our girls. Thanks again!!!

E-Beth

I'm glad I could help you take your mind off your day - I hope you got a few laughs or giggles out of it! Thank you so much for stopping by; if you ever do a Mother/Daughter cruise, I wish you loads of hugs and happiness! :)

Sherri - Loving this review, also! I think that Mickey grew up some in between the Serenade cruise, and the Freedom cruise. She is lovely!

Guess where this photo of my husband and I was taken? You will never believe the year! 1979 on our honeymoon. :D Yep! Hardly knew my new husband. We had met just 4 months earlier. Dated only 6 weeks before we were engaged. Now after 33 years of marriage and 3 children, we still feel like we are on our honeymoon. Cruising a bunch helps!

We loved St. Thomas and always said that we would go back and live there someday. That never happened, but we have managed to visit the island many times over our years of cruising. I am jealous that you got to spend a whole summer there! Not as pretty as Santorini (our new place for wanting to live) but pretty special to us. :)

If you were in St. Thomas in 1979, that's when I was there, too! That's the summer I lived with Opa! How funny! Congratulations on staying together for 33 years - that's awesome!

Ditto!! Thank you. Your reviews are always so interesting, informative, and truly entertaining! Silver

Thank YOU! I'm glad my reviews could help - or at least entertain. ;)

Thanks Sherri! Another great read....but there is a problem.

Are you sure you didn't forget something? Anything??? Think hard........there must some details you left out. Please! Help me get through the next few weeks until it's Bermuda Time on Explorer!

You've really gotta drag this out more!!;):D

Hee hee...I wish I could help....! I pretty much let it all hang out there, including my shame in flunking Boot Camp...what a blow to my ego! Have fun on the Explorer - I've never sailed on her, but maybe one of these days.....

Sherri - this was a great review. We have only sailed Princess so our cruise in October on the Freedom will be a first on RCI. Our daughter is part of the Dreamworks crew and are so anxious to see her in action, hence our switching cruiselines to see her. Thanks for all the little tips on what to do and where to go on board!

I'm glad the review could help - and now you know all the secret insider stuff! Like the karaoke booths! And the (free!) cookies at the Cafe Promenade! (Can you tell I miss those darned cookies?!)

I am so sorry that your wonderful review is finished. I spent the last couple of weeks, loading both this and the Med review 2 or 3 times a day, just to see what you had written. Now that it is over, I know that I will experience serious cruise withdrawl until we sail on the AoS ( in 75 days). As others have mentioned, could you please take another cruise soon and review it? Your fans are hungy for more.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post thoughts, pictures and tips. We have done the Med twice and another coming up in '13, but your writing made me feel that we were back as I read. I thought we were "Caribbeaned out", but after reading this review, I am ready to go again. I will miss your family, your humour and feel that I have known you forever. I, like many others that you have entertained, will haunt the CC boards looking for your next review. You must let hubby Mike know that the fans are disaapointed and look forward to seeing his green shirt again in an exotic locale.

Aw...thank you! :) I will definitely be cruising at some point - with or without Hubby Mike in his bright lime green shirt! Have fun on your upcoming cruise - I wish I was going....sigh.

OH NOOOOOOO....The story has come to an end........what are we suppose to do now?? There must be another cruise coming up quickly that you can write about.....or........or.......maybe a cruise that you took in the past and kept great notes about that you would like to bring back to life for us all to enjoy? :eek:

Thank you for the wonderful journey, will be looking forward to discovering more of your posts/reviews in the future!!

I KNOW - I gotta' book a cruise - quick! Serious PCD going on, both for me and my readers!!!

Awesome review! Thank you so much for taking all of us on vacation w/you thru your review. We are still not sure which beach we'll hit next week in St. Thomas, but it beats a day at the office, so exploring will be a lot of fun. Loved all the photos and your wonderful sense of humor and story telling! Happy future cruising!

Have a great time - and thank you!

If you were in St. Thomas in 1979, that's when I was there, too! That's the summer I lived with Opa! How funny! Congratulations on staying together for 33 years - that's awesome!

Yes, that was the whole point of me posting the photo. We were on the island at the same time! Also, the photo was taken on a donkey above Magens Bay. :)

Aw...thank you! :) I will definitely be cruising at some point - with or without Hubby Mike in his bright lime green shirt! Have fun on your upcoming cruise - I wish I was going....sigh.

I KNOW - I gotta' book a cruise - quick! Serious PCD going on, both for me and my readers!!!

Have a great time - and thank you!

I have won the battle to take more cruises all but one time in our cruising career. Now DH is nearing retirement, and he is the one that keeps planning the trips. I cannot keep up!

I've never planned two cruises at one time until now. It's hard separating all the planning. Your little email drafts/folders trick has helped me tremendously! Oh, and I have a BINDER, but don't usually put that together until a week or so before we leave for our cruises. I stick everything in a manila envelope until I am ready to organize. :rolleyes:

Got to show another photo of my DH in Rome. Guess which one he is! :D

087.jpg

Edited by Iamthesea

Sherri, I have been a lurker totally in awe of your writing style, humor and details. Thank you so much for taking the time to write both reviews. We are on the Liberty in the Med for a week next month. Both reviews have been incredibly helpful. We actually decided to go to Eze because of your wonderful photos.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Your reviews are exceptional. Am now psyched for a Med cruise. Have done two Voyager class which I think are similar to Freedom because they have the Promenade. Loved it for coffee first thing in the am. - would run down before doing the hair etc. Knew you would like it compared to Serenade. I had other issues with Serenade. People walked right thru the middle of the Schooner bar while it had a much more private feel in the bigger ships and the chairs were more comfortable. And the orange juice (in mixed drinks at all the free events,,, welcome back party etc.) was worse than water. Views of the water were great but we always get a balcony. I commented on the Med review that I saw the David statue in Vegas and no one picked up on the statue in the halls of the forum shoppes of Caesar's Palace. lol...Anyhow I don't have the new Janet Evanovich so I will go back to Fifty Shades! Thank you Sherri!