Friday RUSH HOUR in Rome

neverenoughtime

How much time should I allocate to catch the Express Train at FCO on a Friday afternoon? I change planes in Frankfurt on my way to Rome. If I have a US passport, do I go through Customs/Immigration in Rome or do I go straight to baggage claim?

Is the Express Train the best option to Termini ( over the bus) on Friday afternoon?:confused:

Finally, can we make a 26 minute connection at Termini if we take the Express train? We'll have a small carryon each and one garment bag between us. If we make the connection, will there still be room in the luggage rack for our stuff (It's an IC if that makes a difference)?

Thanks for your advice!

It would be a little easier to give advice if you tell us what time your flight lands in Rome and what time is the connection (by rail) that you want to get from Termini.

If you land in Frankfurt, you will go through Immigration/Passport control there. But you'll have to go through Customs in Rome.

Keep in mind that the Express train from FCO to Termini only runs every 30 minutes or so. If you just miss one, you'll be waiting a while for the next.

I don't think rush hour will play into your planning much, if at all, if you are planning to take the express train. It's not a commuter train, it's really only used by folks getting to/from FCO.

Is your concern about rush hour related to the train you are trying to catch at Termini? Are you trying to catch an IC train to Civitavecchia? There is one each afternoon (at 3:40, arriving Civitavecchia at 4:30) and it also stops at Roma Ostiense. It may make more sense for you to catch the IC there (and fit better into your schedule).

Is your concern about rush hour related to the train you are trying to catch at Termini? Are you trying to catch an IC train to Civitavecchia? There is one each afternoon (at 3:40, arriving Civitavecchia at 4:30) and it also stops at Roma Ostiense. It may make more sense for you to catch the IC there (and fit better into your schedule).

Sorry to not be clear. It's a two part question: 1)How fast can I get out of the Rome airport and 2)can I make a 26 minute connection at Termini between the Leonardo Express and an IC train to Orvieto .

We land at 2:00. The trenitalia website gives me lots of options with all Express Trains leaving FCO at :38 past the hour. I was hoping to be able to catch a train as soon as possible-- but 2:38 is not possible. 3:38 will seem like an eternity! That lead me to consider taking the Terravision bus as an option.

If we take the Leonardo Ex, the connection at Termini is 26 minutes or less for the train to Orvieto. Just wondering if it's an option to sprint across the station or if I should plan for ( another ) longer connect time, this time during rush hour.

Thanks very much for your response!!

The Leonardo Express trains leave at :08 and :38, so you won't have to wait an hour between trains, just 30 minutes. You MAY be able to get the 3:08 -- but that's if everything goes like clockwork.

Here is a link to the current schedule: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2e250209953b7210VgnVCM1000004016f90aRCRD

As to whether 26 minutes is enough time -- I am not sure. Since last year, the Express arrives on a track that is closer to the main station. I'm not sure where the IC train to Orvieto might leave from.... If it is one of the closer platforms you'll probably be okay.

You will be fine with 26 minutes, odds are that when you arrive on the train from the airport your train to Orvieto will not have arrived yet anyway. Termini has a lot of tracks (there are 11 sets of tracks at the main head of the station) but most trains (other than regionals) leave from the main tracks and it's easy to move among them.

Archived