One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

We just returned from our first 11 day cruise of the Med. with a week before in Italy and I think it's doable! We met a young couple who had done what you are talking about but out of a small backpack, that was impressive! I was excited to be able to pack "like a grown up" in a bigger suitcase on this trip since we usually carry on but i won't do it again, just too cumbersome. I would stick to a color palette but keep in mind that it is HOT in the med in July and black gets hotter! Bring tops that are loose and you can wash out in the sink, 7 pairs of underwear and an extra bra. I wore mostly sundresses and Clarks or Aerosole sandals, 2 bathing suits if you intend to use the pool every day but if not 1 is enough. I brought small cross body bag that I put into a larger personal bag that also had my iPad, magazines which I got rid of as I finished, Dslr. I used this method of packing

and highly recommend it, give it a dry run beforehand but it worked great for us! Good luck!

My husband and I took a B2B transatlantic/Med cruise in Apr/May and we brought only carry on bags. We were gone five weeks total (one week post cruise in Paris). We checked bags on the way home because we bought a lot of souvenirs:D. The link in my signature has photos of the cruise and a post on what I wore. Good luck! One day I hope to leave home with a carry on and come home with the same bag (no extras LOL). :)

No makeup or hair tools (curling iron, etc.)? No sneakers and workout clothes? No pjs or robe? Only 4 pairs of underwear for 21 days? One swimsuit? That would be a really hard packing list for me to use for a long vacation.

I never wear pjs or a robe. If I need lounging clothing - using ducklite's list - I would wear the yoga pants she had on the plane and a t-shirt. With European vacations, I'm walking so much, I'm not going to be in the gym so I don't need sneakers or specific exercise clothing. I would probably pack a sports bra, depending on what I thought I might be doing during the trip. If I'm not doing a formal night, I'm not doing my hair either - I can use hair dryers that the ship & hotels provide....

So while the specifics of what I might bring would differ a little, my packing list would look very much like that:p

Edited by Hoyaheel

This is one of my favorite websites of all times~ http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/ There are great mix and match ideas in there for all seasons and with the method she uses, you could easily do it. The only caveat is whether you need "appliances".... I have to take a lighted magnifying mirror or I can't see to put on makeup anymore. I need a flat iron and I like to take a dvd player to go to sleep. (DH snores, earphones and movie drown out the noise. :rolleyes:)

Before we needed "appliances", we went to Europe for a month in a carry on without any problems! :D

I love The Vivienne Files!

This is another good blog for traveling light ideas...

http://ladylighttravel.wordpress.com/

No makeup or hair tools (curling iron, etc.)? No sneakers and workout clothes? No pjs or robe? Only 4 pairs of underwear for 21 days? One swimsuit? That would be a really hard packing list for me to use for a long vacation.

I stated I bring my make up bag. I use the dryer provided by the ship or hotel and don't use a curling iron or flat iron etc.

No sneakers or workout clothes, you get enough of a work out climbing the Cupola at St. Peters or the wall in Dubrovnik. When I work out, I do yoga, if I was on a cruise that was less active I'd just bring the DVD and play it in my cabin.

Why not four pair of underwear for 21 days? How many do you think you need? Every morning after we showered I spent a minute washing my delicates from the day before in the sink and hung them to dry on the line in the shower. (Oops! That's another thing that was in my 3-1-1 bag, an small bottle--about 1.5 ounce--of All laundry detergent. A few drops made more than enough suds for a few items.) Usually my items were dry by dinner.

Like I said, I slept in a cami top and panties. Robes are provided by the cruise line and hotels. Never been on a cruise or in a better hotel that didn't.

I was on a Med cruise, I wore the swimsuit once. It wasn't a swimming type cruise, but when I go to Tahiti in a couple years I might still only take one.

Edited by ducklite

Oops, sorry, I saw that you brought a makeup bag. I would add a makeup mirror, since they usually aren't on cruise ships or in many hotels.

I've had a makeup mirror in the bathroom on every ship I've been on and in most hotel rooms. Actually on my last cruise it was on the vanity right outside the bathroom. I seldom use one anyhow, I can see fine with a regular mirror.

I'm not sure why you have to restrict yourself to one carry on if you are spending 12 nights on a cruise ship and two weeks in Paris. It isn't like your are traveling by train throughout Europe and changing hotels several times. I would probably bring a regular size suitcase and a tote bag that I could manage myself.

I travel a lot for business (should really be packing for tomorrows trip rather than surfing the 'net right now) and am used to traveling light. Time is money and I hate having to get to the airport early to check a bag before the cutoff or waiting for them on the other end.

It wasn't much different planning for this trip except that instead of my briefcase I had my tote and instead of files I had a camera.

We didn't have to check our bags, so didn't have to worry about them not showing up on the other end.

I saw people struggling trying to take the train from the airport into central Rome while we just hopped on and found seats.

We were able to easily walk from Termini to our hotel over some rough/cobblestone streets. Those with larger bags had to take expensive cabs.

We had less to keep track of.

I just can't imagine traveling any other way.

Seriously, I have about 20 pairs of underwear, and I'd bring all of them. That's the least of my worries when I am trying to cut down on what I pack! I do go on active excursions, and still go to the gym on sea days or when I have extra time before dinner. I like to use a curling iron or flat iron to fix my hair before dinner, whether it's "formal" or not. So I guess my point is that everyone has different likes and needs, so it's really not possible to come up with one perfect packing list.

Eileen Fisher. Soooooooo comfy! I never even unzip them, they have a very narrow elastic waist and I just pull them on and off.

Those are the organic cotton twill ankle pants, yes?

I've been considering them -- if you don't mind my asking, do you launder them yourself while traveling, and how do they come out, if you do? I bought some similar twills (lesser brand) a year ago and while they look relatively good when machine laundered, they do not do well when self-laundered.

Also, can you advise if the spandex causes them to stretch out? I sometimes like to wear items twice (e.g., for casual dinner one day and then full day touring another time). Some pants are fine to start but they bag out in the thigh area on me after wearing them a few hours.

Thanks for any input. I'm so thrilled that slim-fit pants are in again. I just don't look as good in the wider-leg pants.

Seriously, I have about 20 pairs of underwear, and I'd bring all of them. That's the least of my worries when I am trying to cut down on what I pack! I do go on active excursions, and still go to the gym on sea days or when I have extra time before dinner. I like to use a curling iron or flat iron to fix my hair before dinner, whether it's "formal" or not. So I guess my point is that everyone has different likes and needs, so it's really not possible to come up with one perfect packing list.

Twenty pair of underwear is a lot of packing space. I don't think I own that many pair of underwear! And like I said, I do yoga, no gym or special clothing needed.

My hairstyle needs nothing but a blow dryer to maintain whether I'm home or away, even for formal situations.

Those are the organic cotton twill ankle pants, yes?

I've been considering them -- if you don't mind my asking, do you launder them yourself while traveling, and how do they come out, if you do? I bought some similar twills (lesser brand) a year ago and while they look relatively good when machine laundered, they do not do well when self-laundered.

Also, can you advise if the spandex causes them to stretch out? I sometimes like to wear items twice (e.g., for casual dinner one day and then full day touring another time). Some pants are fine to start but they bag out in the thigh area on me after wearing them a few hours.

Thanks for any input. I'm so thrilled that slim-fit pants are in again. I just don't look as good in the wider-leg pants.

Yes, that's what they are. I don't even try to launder them myself--they need to be tumble dried on medium to take out the wrinkles.

One of my pairs is finally starting to do that--after 12 years I guess it's their right. ;)

I agree about slim fit pants, I'm the same way--although the "skinny jeans" look doesn't cut it on me these days. :D

I really like those Eileen pants, they can be dressed up or down and pack beautifully.

Edited by ducklite

so it's really not possible to come up with one perfect packing list.

True, but the original poster asked for ideas for how to do her trip in carry-on only, and ducklite posted what works for her. It's an idea. No one is forcing you to only take 4 prs of underwear:p

I love The Vivienne Files!

This is another good blog for traveling light ideas...

http://ladylighttravel.wordpress.com/

I discovered this site before a 14 night cruise to Alaska. I used her 4 -4 - 4 plan. Four black garments, 4 grey garments then white and color for the last 4. I never have packed so little and felt so well dressed on any trip before. Every top and jacket went with every pant or skirt. I had to buy some items before the trip - black cotton polo from LLBean (washes so well and no wrinkles), grey jeans, heavy cotton/poly twill pants.

Sure, but it's not a bad start for those who want to pack light.

There are a lot of similarities to my list except that I prefer pants/cropped pants to skirts so I usually only bring one. Also I generally do lug along some dressy/formal wear but keep it to a minimum and it still has to mix and match (e.g., one long skirt with 2 tops/jackets). I only take one dressier purse and shoes (black) -- has to work for both formal and smart casual evenings.

I haven't taken more than one bathing suit on a cruise in years; nor have I ever taken a robe. I don't bring a blow dryer but do take a small travel-size curling iron to touch up my hair if needed.

Yes, that's what they are. I don't even try to launder them myself--they need to be tumble dried on medium to take out the wrinkles.

One of my pairs is finally starting to do that--after 12 years I guess it's their right. ;)

I agree about slim fit pants, I'm the same way--although the "skinny jeans" look doesn't cut it on me these days. :D

I really like those Eileen pants, they can be dressed up or down and pack beautifully.

Thanks, I think I will try a pair for my upcoming Med cruise and see how well I like them.

Thanks for all the great ideas and links. We have a 16 day cruise from Quebec to Tampa so multiple temp variations this October. I don't think I can do a carry on but hoping for one checked bag for both DH and myself.

Keep the suggestions coming!

P.s. I love and only wear crocs! Not closed though, only the sandals. Check them out, the sandals are really cute.

Thanks for all the great ideas and links. We have a 16 day cruise from Quebec to Tampa so multiple temp variations this October. I don't think I can do a carry on but hoping for one checked bag for both DH and myself.

Keep the suggestions coming!

P.s. I love and only wear crocs! Not closed though, only the sandals. Check them out, the sandals are really cute.

Actually you could still easily go carry on. Let me know if you want a packing list.

OMG, thanks so much for all the suggestions and links. I love those photos, Ducklite! The pants are so cute, and really much more dressy than regular capris. I will have to start my search for them.

I'm not a fancy dresser, but I do like to look nice. I totally think I can do it, and I'm inspired now to make it happen. I just don't want the hassle of extra baggage, and love the idea of travelling light. With the suggestions I've found here and other places, it's definitely doable.

Great news is my MIL booked the trip today, so we're on for the 12 night cruise next July, as well as a night before in Venice, possibly two nights after in Barcelona, and then two weeks in Paris. Renting a flat in Paris means you have access to laundry, so really at that point it's pretty simple to keep your clothes clean. Plus, I look forward to possibly purchasing one or two things while over there, so if I need to bring another bag back I'll deal with that then. :D

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm adding them to my cruise file!

Talbots & Talbots OUtlet have some very cute slim fit ankle pants (I have two pairs) that are cheaper than Eileen Fisher - they fit me quite well. The ones I have are front zipper (I actually hate a side zip) but I've seen side zip options too if that's your preference. They've had a slim fit option for a few years, so they're out there if you want them:p

I brought the black pair (with a matching jacket) as part of my pared down wardrobe on a business trip to China last year - did great!

Talbots & Talbots OUtlet have some very cute slim fit ankle pants (I have two pairs) that are cheaper than Eileen Fisher - they fit me quite well. The ones I have are front zipper (I actually hate a side zip) but I've seen side zip options too if that's your preference. They've had a slim fit option for a few years, so they're out there if you want them:p

I brought the black pair (with a matching jacket) as part of my pared down wardrobe on a business trip to China last year - did great!

Are these the bi-stretch (or I think they call it double-weave now) ones? If so, I find them to be on the heavy side for travel. The pants are a mainstay of my work wardrobe though. Do you know if the Eileen Fisher ones are heavy like that? If so, that's not what I'm looking for....

Also, I'm looking at the Talbots website and a lot of the slim fit ankle pants they feature have a very wide wrap waistband. (Not too flattering on me.)

Edited by cruisemom42

The ones I have from Talbots don't seem to be on the website since I've had them a couple years-mine are not heavy (though "heavy for travel" - not sure if you mean weight for luggage or for temperature) They do have stretch and are almost a sateen but not shiny.

Probably closest to this (mine are a heritage fit, but do not have this thicker waistband nor a side zip, nor pockets like some other options) http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi28651&rootCategory=cat90032&catId=cat120052&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90032

The nice thing about Talbots - they do change the features every so often. So if you don't like the waistband or the zipper placement, wait 6 months and look again:p

Plus - I'm short (5'4 1/2") so this is labelled "crop" - but mine does fit like an ankle pant. Short enough to look deliberate, but long enough to be more flattering to my legs.

OK, looks more like this option, but mine are cotton: http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi28126&rootCategory=cat90032&catId=cat120052&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90032

Edited by Hoyaheel