One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

I am trying to use the idea of Vivienne Files to plan my wardrobe for a 30 day trip that will include a 12 day land tour of Beijing, Xi an and Bangkok then a 16 day cruise on the Diamond Princess back to Beijing and home.

3 formal nights (but I'm not so fancy and probably will take silky black pants or skirt and 3 little silky tops). My weight limit because of interior China flights is 40 pounds with a 12 pound carryon. I will do laundry. I take my own lotions and potions and RX meds which will take at least 6 pounds away and suitcase weighs 7 pounds. OK!! Tell me how to set up my crazy eights. (Oh another hint: I expect as hot as 95F in Bangkok and as low as 35F in Beijing/Korea in November. Basic colors should include black, white, silver, and pink florals. :p Thanks for the help and for showing me the files that give a great organized way to choose the outfits.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has my name on it!!

I am not a light packer, never have been. I like to bring my stuff with me, and options. For a cruise I dont find it an issue because I can struggle with suitcases for a short time and then once on board it is over...

I am packing today, we leave on Thursday, for a 2 1/2 week Italy land vacation... We fly into Rome then the rest of the time we will be traveling by train. In my research I found that I need to be able to pick up the suitcase in front of me to board the train. So we bought lightweight LL Bean 24 inch, one for me and one for husband. What a challenge... When I opened the suitcase today I thought ...ohh this is so tiny!!

As I now look into my suitcase I see a sea of black and tan that I can mix and match. There is only enough in the suitcase for about 8 days, after that will hand wash and was careful in my choices of what can wash well. Only one pair of walking shoes and a pair of flats. I think what I miss the most is lack of shoes, I really miss no heels or pocketbooks. No jewerley or accessorries at all so that I have no worries of theft.

The next challenge is to weed out my make up bag and only bring what I absolutely need. If I can do without a sunscreen or creams I can buy on land, it stays home. No hair dryer or flat irons. Will buy them in Italy and leave them there....

LOL, tonight I gave the bag a test run... Carried it up a flight of stairs, so far so good. Can handle it.... Give me grace that I dont have a complete break down and overpack this suitcase over the next 3 days!!

I would never pack like this for a cruise but after this trip I am hopeful that I will learn what is necessary and what is not, while still enjoying fashion while traveling... But Oh no, the walking shoes I decided on are super comfortable, but not very pretty, will actually in my eyes, ugly!! I decided I wont look down that far in the mirror...

Add a pair of flip flops or clogs that you can slip on at night. I use them as a second pair of walking shoes too. I don't like feet on carpets and you really need 2 pair of walking shoes -- dry them out/foot health and Heaven forbid if they get soaked in a rain storm. I would carry a jacket. Weather can not be predicted and I have had to buy too many coats in Florida because a cold front or some other weather irregularity hits. Also rain poncho is worth taking. Spare glasses? Pain to get them in another country. Email your RX to yourself and you can get to it if needed. Small medical kit with enough cold/cough/tummy and etc to get you through the night. Packing the clothes is pretty easy -- it is the rest of the mess.

Have a great time. My first time to Italy was in 1980 and we went for 3 months with 2 children 4 and 6. I packed so heavy I lost a wheel in the first block walking to the hotel. The beginning of "trying" to pack light. Oh well the 4 yo is now all grown up and can go anywhere in the world with a 21 inch bag and her computer case. She leaves this week for England with her 3 yo and I think her 21 inch bag is not going (or at least it won't be alone):p

Rather than hand laundry see if there is a laundry in the neighborhood. Drop off and pick up. Usually not that expensive and so worth it. Rooms are pretty small in Europe and hanging clothes to dry is inconvenient.

When traveling, your time and energy needs to be spent on looking and exploring so it is ok to chose to spend money on basics like laundry -- your time is really valuable.

Perhaps you have encountered the reason why so many of us pack so differently! Maybe us "light packers" started out on the big land vacations where we had to haul our own stuff. Maybe us "heavy packers" started out on car vacations and cruises where we weren't limited by bag size restrictions.

I'm for finding those laundries or laundromats to do some of your laundry on your trip. I've met some wonderful locals who gave me good tips on cheap eats when I've been in a laundromat :) I can use laundromat time to write in my journal, write postcards, research my next location, read the International Times, read on my Kindle, try out my language skills on the locals... It's not wasted time to me.

Perhaps you have encountered the reason why so many of us pack so differently! Maybe us "light packers" started out on the big land vacations where we had to haul our own stuff. Maybe us "heavy packers" started out on car vacations and cruises where we weren't limited by bag size restrictions.

I'm for finding those laundries or laundromats to do some of your laundry on your trip. I've met some wonderful locals who gave me good tips on cheap eats when I've been in a laundromat :) I can use laundromat time to write in my journal, write postcards, research my next location, read the International Times, read on my Kindle, try out my language skills on the locals... It's not wasted time to me.

I'm with you -- some of my favorite travel memories have to do with the laundry. It is such an equalizer wherever you go. You and locals are mixed with time on your hands and usually very friendly. Oh my stories: like the time I did not realize that every time I pushed the soap button on the wall nothing happened so I'd push again. An old man explained to me in German that I actually had 6X the soap and that is why I had such beautiful bubbles. An American business man explained to me that every person in Bern Switzerland was given their own laundry machine at birth --thus only 1 public laundermat in town for the "outsiders":p and heard about the castle's maze in England from a little old lady who said "You just run on, I'll watch the clothes for you til you come on back."

Don't be afraid laundry places but having someone wash and fold it is truly a great thing!

I spent my junior year in college at a University in Belgium. Every Sunday, all the foreign students gathered at the "Sec Shop" (yes, that was the name, on the sign and everything - nothing like a bilingual double entendre:p) and do our laundry. Belgians mostly went home on weekends and came back to school with clean clothing and food. We foreigners did our laundry and studied on the floor of the laundromat. Usually with wine or beer to make the time pass quickly (and the studying go by faster) Those were my best laundromat experiences:D

Yes, wearing flip flops on plane, as feet tend to swell on planes, and also wearing a light weight jacket.

We are staying in a hotel in Rome, while in Venice and Florence I have rented apartments that have a washing machine in the apt, no dryer, so I will make use of that....

But yup, I overpacked the suitcase with stuff I just dont need. So tommorrow night it all comes out, and weeding out and packing again.... For this trip I do not want to be a slave to a suitcase, so giving it another go!!

I can do this! This is my last chance to pack right, leave Thursday AM...Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yes, wearing flip flops on plane, as feet tend to swell on planes, and also wearing a light weight jacket.

We are staying in a hotel in Rome, while in Venice and Florence I have rented apartments that have a washing machine in the apt, no dryer, so I will make use of that....

But yup, I overpacked the suitcase with stuff I just dont need. So tommorrow night it all comes out, and weeding out and packing again.... For this trip I do not want to be a slave to a suitcase, so giving it another go!!

I can do this! This is my last chance to pack right, leave Thursday AM...Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hey friend, if your feet swell on the plane try compression stockings. Just a little compression can save you from DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) which is a deadly thing. Can buy at a medical supply or drugstore. They help keep you warm and feel pretty comfy. Also don't have to walk on the carpet through TSA land :eek: with bare feet. A structured shoe (wear your heaviest walking shoes) also keep the swelling down IMHO.

Good luck and have a great trip.

• 3 weeks later...

I am back from my Italy vacation...

Initially I thought we did well. With my now "I love my LL Bean suitcases"

husband and I each had one bag and OMG I could not beleive when weighed in at the airport mine was 18 pounds... Are you kidding me????

Still I was amazed that I only used about half that was in my suitcase.

True, I really downsized any accessories and make up, used hotel blowdryer, still I could of really packed half... Ya know baby steps for overpacker me.

I will say thought with all our train travel I was able to handle my suitcase easy and said to my husband that it was so wonderful to travel light like this, no longer the slave of the suitcase.. I am now a convert of light packing!!

LOL, but then towards the end... I had made quite a few leather purchases, most pocketbooks so last stop we had to buy a small suitcase for all my purchases!! But it was our last stop so still OK...

Well good for you! I am glad you enjoyed your trip and that you know you can pack light if you need to. I am still in the take it all stage of planning. 2 weeks from tomorrow we fly. Still will take too much but it will be under 40 pounds and my suitcase (a duffle with wheels) only weights 6.2 pounds.

I am back from my Italy vacation...

Initially I thought we did well. With my now "I love my LL Bean suitcases"

husband and I each had one bag and OMG I could not beleive when weighed in at the airport mine was 18 pounds... Are you kidding me????

Still I was amazed that I only used about half that was in my suitcase.

True, I really downsized any accessories and make up, used hotel blowdryer, still I could of really packed half... Ya know baby steps for overpacker me.

I will say thought with all our train travel I was able to handle my suitcase easy and said to my husband that it was so wonderful to travel light like this, no longer the slave of the suitcase.. I am now a convert of light packing!!

LOL, but then towards the end... I had made quite a few leather purchases, most pocketbooks so last stop we had to buy a small suitcase for all my purchases!! But it was our last stop so still OK...

To paraphrase a saying, it's always good to "pack lightly and carry a big duffle." :) There are a number of collapsible lightweight duffle bags; I have a couple (I like Le Sport Sac) that fold up into a pouch. I can toss one in my suitcase and have it with me, ready to pull out and fill up, just in case. I'm not that much of a shopper, but occasionally I run across something that I just can't resist.

If one travels a lot one very soon learns not to pack too much.

I have a friend who never wears the same shirt/top two days in a row. I have no scruples with three days on a holiday (or at home) :rolleyes:

Maybe that's why I don't overpack?

If you'd rather be convenient and comfortable than very fashionable and eye-catching (I meant that as a good thing ;)) then carry-on is all you need.

To paraphrase a saying, it's always good to "pack lightly and carry a big duffle." :) There are a number of collapsible lightweight duffle bags; I have a couple (I like Le Sport Sac) that fold up into a pouch. I can toss one in my suitcase and have it with me, ready to pull out and fill up, just in case. I'm not that much of a shopper, but occasionally I run across something that I just can't resist.

Has anybody seen those fold into a pouch duffle bags lately. The ones given as freebies by Brendan travels finally just ripped apart and for the life of me I can not find any now to replace. the ones we had were much thinner and lighter than the Baggalini one that I bought last year (9 ounces and about 8/8 inches -- material seems much stiffer).

Anybody who finds these really light weight bags PLEASE let me know. I hardly know how to travel without the "laundry bags".

Has anybody seen those fold into a pouch duffle bags lately. The ones given as freebies by Brendan travels finally just ripped apart and for the life of me I can not find any now to replace. the ones we had were much thinner and lighter than the Baggalini one that I bought last year (9 ounces and about 8/8 inches -- material seems much stiffer).

Anybody who finds these really light weight bags PLEASE let me know. I hardly know how to travel without the "laundry bags".

Amazon has these cute bags that fold into their own pouch. They're nylon so have to be super light. They would make great laundry bags, shopping bags or Trick or Treat bags! :)

41jmoCk2JcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Bundle-Monster-Eco-Friendly-Reusable-Foldable/dp/B007O2TUNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348866485&sr=8-1&keywords=shopping+tote+foldable

Wow, such great replies...thanks! Even though we don't cruise until next summer, I've been diligently looking for the right things to take. I've found three great dresses, two dressy and one casual, all great material that doesn't wrinkle easily. One dress is from Banana Republic, really good stretchy knit and fits like a dream. Best news is I got them all at the consignment store. :-)

Still trying to figure out how much I will need to take for a month away, and have to buy a carry on suitcase first, but i'm getting there. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Found a great 1oz (a slight exagerration but not by much) duffle bag at Ikea. Found it in the last area upstairs with the carts and backpacks.

Still trying to figure out how much I will need to take for a month away, and have to buy a carry on suitcase first, but i'm getting there. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Don't pack for a month-Pack for a 4 days or a week and repeat.

Exception to this is toiletries.

Edited by SadieN

Smoothdancer - congratulations on a successful vacation! And, I'm also guilty of buying some leather goods in Italy, necessitating opening up my foldable duffle for the trip home;) Since it was at the end of the trip, I had no issues with bringing out the other bag...

Having done the land trip on minimal luggage:

do you think it will change the way you pack for cruises?

Is there something you truly needed on the trip that you didn't pack?

Is there something you didn't need but wished you had packed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I recently spent 21 days in Europe (14 on a cruise) with a roll aboard and a tote, so I think I can offer some great practical advice.

First, settle on one neutral. For me it was black.

Everything you bring must match at least two other things, or it stays home.

Rely on your small, easy to pack accessories for your color.

Remember that you aren't going to the North Pole, they do sell things in Europe.

Here's what I took...

BOTTOMS

One pair of tan cotton crop (not capri!) slacks

One pair of black cotton crop (not capri!) slacks

FYI, these are the pants, I live in them--have six pair that range from six to 12 years old and still look new. As long as you take them out of the dryer right away, the most they need is a little Downy Wrinkle Release.

KO-P0341-STONE?$PRODDETIMG$

Two "broomstick" skirts, one solid black, one black & white patterned

One black knit skirt like this

0900631b81ea2ea1M.tif?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&rgn=0,0,3000,3000&scl=7.894736842105263&id=2fOLayKGLMY9R1UDUzbSVY

One pair of black stretch crepe knit pants

One pair black shorts

One Pair tan shorts

TOPS

One white cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt)

One white cotton blouse with black embroidered design

One white cotton tank with an embroidered/beaded embellishment

One black cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt)

One fuscia cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt) Wore on plane

One black knit tank top with a beaded embellishment

One black silk knit ballerina necked tee

very similar to this

GK-T0602-BLACK?$PRODDETIMG$

One long sleeved black silk knit top similar to the one just above

One black & white polka-dot sleeveless dressy top

One very lightweight open weave white hooded fine gauge linen knit sweater

One black cotton open weave sweater (wore on plane)

SHOES

One pair of hybrid athletic style sandal with closed toe

One pair of black and bronze Clark's thong style sandals that are comfortable for me to walk in all day (Verified several times prior to cruise!)

One pair of black and blinged dressier style flat sandals

These weren't them but not too far off

1891681-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

One other pair of completely flat sandals that I couldn't bear to not take with me but didn't really need. ;) I did wear them around the ship during the day, but the Clarkes would have worked just as well.

ACCESSORIES

Three "statement" necklaces and a diamond solitaire

One chunky bracelet

Half a dozen pair of earrings that ranged from simple studs to larger dangles

Two colorful scarves (one was a large silk square that folded into nothing and was useful to cover shoulders/head when going into churches/temples--I acquired two more while in Europe ;) )

One foldable straw sunhat (an absolute necessity!)

Sunglasses

Three pair below the ankle length socks to wear on the plane and with the athletic sandals (I tried them a few times at home before I left and realized the bottoms gave me hot spots, so as dorky as it looked, I went with the socks)

Four bras--two tan, one white, one black--one was on me on the plane

Four pair of panties, all tan--one was on me on the plane

Two cotton cami style tops to wear to bed

One small crossbody bag

One bathing suit

Large pashmina--used as blanket on plane and wrap several times when it was chilly in the dining room, on deck in the evening, and even on the overcast/rainy day we spent in Venice where there was a chill in the air.

One pair black yoga pants (wore on plane)

That was it for clothing. Really and seriously. I hand washed bras and silk knits as I wore them and drip dried. The rest I sent out for laundering as needed. The skirts were as cool as the shorts, but when went to Pompeii and the Acropolis I was glad that I had shorts just for ease of movement over very uneven ground.

OTHER

Makeup bag (mine isn't overloaded with "what if stuff" but rather has only the things I use every week)

3-1-1 bag which included: Sample packet of Shampoo and conditioner to get me through the first day, small bottle of makeup remover, small tube of face cream, small tube of handcream, 2 ounce bottle of body oil (I used the last drops on our last day), travel size hair cream, travel size hairspray, 2 ounce face wash (was more than enough), 3 ounce bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, .25 ounce spray freshener from Yankee Candle, 2 ounce SPF 15 sunscreen I got as a sample

Other toiletries: Q-Tips (I like the real deal and they take no packing space), deodorant,

hairbrush, razor, nail clippers, tweezers, mini shower pouf

Prescription medications in original bottles

Small Zip Lock with packets of Immodium, Zantac, Advil, 3 days of DayQuil/NyQuil caplets, Neosporin gel packets and a few BandAids of varying sizes.

Mini umbrella

Camera and charger and memory cards

iPhone and charger

Netbook--never used and wouldn't take again, I used the iPhone daily though

Magazines which were given to others or recycled as I read them

When I got to Europe I bought a larger can of hairspray, and we ultimately needed to buy some cold medication and cough drops for my husband. I found the soap, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, and hand cream provided by our hotels and the cruise to be of high quality, so I used them. My husband likes a certain brand of soap and brought a bar with him, but he used the supplied shampoo and hand cream.

I also bought a blouse I liked, a Murano glass necklace and earring set, and a couple more scarves, but they were all very lightweight and took no room to pack on the way home.

I packed in a 20" (wheels to handle) Tumi roll on and a duffel style tote by Kipling (half of the tote was filled with the large, professional model DSLR that I brought). I also took my neck pillow which I did use on the plane. I hung it off the strap on the tote when in transport.

When choosing souvenirs we were very careful to choose very small, lightweight, non-fragile items.

We didn't have formal nights, if we did I would have brought a long black silk skirt and a dressy top, I could have fit it in.

Please ask if you have any questions, I hope this helps.

Edited to add:

Two other things I brought were a handful of Ziplocks in varying sizes. I can't remember what we used them for, but we definitely used some of them. They are a staple in my suitcase. I also brought my aluminum water bottle. I ditched the plastic a couple of years ago and never looked back. Particularly in Rome the water is clean, fresh pure. I filled my bottle in my hotel or on the ship each morning. Needed to refill at the ruins in Rome and the Acropolis, but the water fountains at both were safe. The water in Greece was OK but not as pure and amazing as the water in Rome.

I will never travel any other way than this again!

wow is all i can say !! cannot tell you how much we overpack and do not use - if i could just take 1 tote and a 29 suitcase, it would be a miracle ! but i am going to attempt to at least do that instead of 2 large suitcases !

do u roll items or stack ?

I recently spent 21 days in Europe (14 on a cruise) with a roll aboard and a tote, so I think I can offer some great practical advice.

First, settle on one neutral. For me it was black.

Everything you bring must match at least two other things, or it stays home.

Rely on your small, easy to pack accessories for your color.

Remember that you aren't going to the North Pole, they do sell things in Europe.

Here's what I took...

BOTTOMS

One pair of tan cotton crop (not capri!) slacks

One pair of black cotton crop (not capri!) slacks

FYI, these are the pants, I live in them--have six pair that range from six to 12 years old and still look new. As long as you take them out of the dryer right away, the most they need is a little Downy Wrinkle Release.

Two "broomstick" skirts, one solid black, one black & white patterned

One black knit skirt like this

One pair of black stretch crepe knit pants

One pair black shorts

One Pair tan shorts

TOPS

One white cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt)

One white cotton blouse with black embroidered design

One white cotton tank with an embroidered/beaded embellishment

One black cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt)

One fuscia cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt) Wore on plane

One black knit tank top with a beaded embellishment

One black silk knit ballerina necked tee

very similar to this

One long sleeved black silk knit top similar to the one just above

One black & white polka-dot sleeveless dressy top

One very lightweight open weave white hooded fine gauge linen knit sweater

One black cotton open weave sweater (wore on plane)

SHOES

One pair of hybrid athletic style sandal with closed toe

One pair of black and bronze Clark's thong style sandals that are comfortable for me to walk in all day (Verified several times prior to cruise!)

One pair of black and blinged dressier style flat sandals

These weren't them but not too far off

One other pair of completely flat sandals that I couldn't bear to not take with me but didn't really need. ;) I did wear them around the ship during the day, but the Clarkes would have worked just as well.

ACCESSORIES

Three "statement" necklaces and a diamond solitaire

One chunky bracelet

Half a dozen pair of earrings that ranged from simple studs to larger dangles

Two colorful scarves (one was a large silk square that folded into nothing and was useful to cover shoulders/head when going into churches/temples--I acquired two more while in Europe ;) )

One foldable straw sunhat (an absolute necessity!)

Sunglasses

Three pair below the ankle length socks to wear on the plane and with the athletic sandals (I tried them a few times at home before I left and realized the bottoms gave me hot spots, so as dorky as it looked, I went with the socks)

Four bras--two tan, one white, one black--one was on me on the plane

Four pair of panties, all tan--one was on me on the plane

Two cotton cami style tops to wear to bed

One small crossbody bag

One bathing suit

Large pashmina--used as blanket on plane and wrap several times when it was chilly in the dining room, on deck in the evening, and even on the overcast/rainy day we spent in Venice where there was a chill in the air.

One pair black yoga pants (wore on plane)

That was it for clothing. Really and seriously. I hand washed bras and silk knits as I wore them and drip dried. The rest I sent out for laundering as needed. The skirts were as cool as the shorts, but when went to Pompeii and the Acropolis I was glad that I had shorts just for ease of movement over very uneven ground.

OTHER

Makeup bag (mine isn't overloaded with "what if stuff" but rather has only the things I use every week)

3-1-1 bag which included: Sample packet of Shampoo and conditioner to get me through the first day, small bottle of makeup remover, small tube of face cream, small tube of handcream, 2 ounce bottle of body oil (I used the last drops on our last day), travel size hair cream, travel size hairspray, 2 ounce face wash (was more than enough), 3 ounce bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, .25 ounce spray freshener from Yankee Candle, 2 ounce SPF 15 sunscreen I got as a sample

Other toiletries: Q-Tips (I like the real deal and they take no packing space), deodorant,

hairbrush, razor, nail clippers, tweezers, mini shower pouf

Prescription medications in original bottles

Small Zip Lock with packets of Immodium, Zantac, Advil, 3 days of DayQuil/NyQuil caplets, Neosporin gel packets and a few BandAids of varying sizes.

Mini umbrella

Camera and charger and memory cards

iPhone and charger

Netbook--never used and wouldn't take again, I used the iPhone daily though

Magazines which were given to others or recycled as I read them

When I got to Europe I bought a larger can of hairspray, and we ultimately needed to buy some cold medication and cough drops for my husband. I found the soap, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, and hand cream provided by our hotels and the cruise to be of high quality, so I used them. My husband likes a certain brand of soap and brought a bar with him, but he used the supplied shampoo and hand cream.

I also bought a blouse I liked, a Murano glass necklace and earring set, and a couple more scarves, but they were all very lightweight and took no room to pack on the way home.

I packed in a 20" (wheels to handle) Tumi roll on and a duffel style tote by Kipling (half of the tote was filled with the large, professional model DSLR that I brought). I also took my neck pillow which I did use on the plane. I hung it off the strap on the tote when in transport.

When choosing souvenirs we were very careful to choose very small, lightweight, non-fragile items.

We didn't have formal nights, if we did I would have brought a long black silk skirt and a dressy top, I could have fit it in.

Please ask if you have any questions, I hope this helps.

Edited to add:

Two other things I brought were a handful of Ziplocks in varying sizes. I can't remember what we used them for, but we definitely used some of them. They are a staple in my suitcase. I also brought my aluminum water bottle. I ditched the plastic a couple of years ago and never looked back. Particularly in Rome the water is clean, fresh pure. I filled my bottle in my hotel or on the ship each morning. Needed to refill at the ruins in Rome and the Acropolis, but the water fountains at both were safe. The water in Greece was OK but not as pure and amazing as the water in Rome.

I will never travel any other way than this again!

am going to print this out as a guide

(altho i wear lots of red,lime green, & purple

w/ blue & black jeans) and see

if i can get it all in 28 check in bag

as anz only allows 13 lbs in carryon

thanks for all you advice !!

wow is all i can say !! cannot tell you how much we overpack and do not use - if i could just take 1 tote and a 29 suitcase, it would be a miracle ! but i am going to attempt to at least do that instead of 2 large suitcases !

do u roll items or stack ?

Mostly I roll. I use things like socks and underwear to fill in the cracks.