One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

Love the pants, where do I find them? (Sorry if this was asked already, but didn't want to read over 1000 posts!)

Eileen Fisher. If you don't have a stand alone store nearby, they carry them in Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomingdales, etc.

The main reason that I try to take a carry on size bag is to avoid the baggage claim carousel. For this trip, since I'm going to check a bag anyway, I'll go up in size to a 25" or 26" bag. I can manage that easily and can lift it into an overhead bin if I have to (or get DH to do it for me:D). Luckily on this trip we will only be using the train (with luggage) to get to the pier for the first leg of our B2B cruise.

My stalwart 21" carry on bag (Jos. A Banks) that has been to Europe and Australia with me weighs 6 pounds more than my new 25" (Victorinox) bag.:eek: So the larger bag will actually weigh less, since most of the extra stuff that I'll pack in there won't weigh 6 pounds.

And I bought a new carryon, too, so I can actually put something in it before it goes over the weight allowance.

25' and 26' bags are too large for the overhead bins! They are not legal on any airline as far as I know.

Just want to say how proud I am of my daughter.

She's on a four day trip to Kosovo and needed to bring one 'business' outfit in addition to her other clothes. The class required them to do carryon. The airline limit was one bag of 6k (13.2lb). :eek: She wore her bulkiest clothes and stuffed her pockets and bra.;)

25' and 26' bags are too large for the overhead bins! They are not legal on any airline as far as I know.

You are 100% correct. Actually anything over 22 inches is not a carry on

and will have to be checked.

• 1 month later...
I recently spent 21 days in Europe (14 on a cruise) with a roll aboard and a tote, so I think I can offer some great practical advice.

First, settle on one neutral. For me it was black.

Everything you bring must match at least two other things, or it stays home.

Rely on your small, easy to pack accessories for your color.

Remember that you aren't going to the North Pole, they do sell things in Europe.

Here's what I took...

BOTTOMS

One pair of tan cotton crop (not capri!) slacks

One pair of black cotton crop (not capri!) slacks

FYI, these are the pants, I live in them--have six pair that range from six to 12 years old and still look new. As long as you take them out of the dryer right away, the most they need is a little Downy Wrinkle Release.

KO-P0341-STONE?$PRODDETIMG$

Two "broomstick" skirts, one solid black, one black & white patterned

One black knit skirt like this

0900631b81ea2ea1M.tif?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&rgn=0,0,3000,3000&scl=7.894736842105263&id=2fOLayKGLMY9R1UDUzbSVY

One pair of black stretch crepe knit pants

One pair black shorts

One Pair tan shorts

TOPS

One white cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt)

One white cotton blouse with black embroidered design

One white cotton tank with an embroidered/beaded embellishment

One black cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt)

One fuscia cotton fitted tee (not an undershirt, but a nice fitted womens t shirt) Wore on plane

One black knit tank top with a beaded embellishment

One black silk knit ballerina necked tee

very similar to this

GK-T0602-BLACK?$PRODDETIMG$

One long sleeved black silk knit top similar to the one just above

One black & white polka-dot sleeveless dressy top

One very lightweight open weave white hooded fine gauge linen knit sweater

One black cotton open weave sweater (wore on plane)

SHOES

One pair of hybrid athletic style sandal with closed toe

One pair of black and bronze Clark's thong style sandals that are comfortable for me to walk in all day (Verified several times prior to cruise!)

One pair of black and blinged dressier style flat sandals

These weren't them but not too far off

1891681-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

One other pair of completely flat sandals that I couldn't bear to not take with me but didn't really need. ;) I did wear them around the ship during the day, but the Clarkes would have worked just as well.

ACCESSORIES

Three "statement" necklaces and a diamond solitaire

One chunky bracelet

Half a dozen pair of earrings that ranged from simple studs to larger dangles

Two colorful scarves (one was a large silk square that folded into nothing and was useful to cover shoulders/head when going into churches/temples--I acquired two more while in Europe ;) )

One foldable straw sunhat (an absolute necessity!)

Sunglasses

Three pair below the ankle length socks to wear on the plane and with the athletic sandals (I tried them a few times at home before I left and realized the bottoms gave me hot spots, so as dorky as it looked, I went with the socks)

Four bras--two tan, one white, one black--one was on me on the plane

Four pair of panties, all tan--one was on me on the plane

Two cotton cami style tops to wear to bed

One small crossbody bag

One bathing suit

Large pashmina--used as blanket on plane and wrap several times when it was chilly in the dining room, on deck in the evening, and even on the overcast/rainy day we spent in Venice where there was a chill in the air.

One pair black yoga pants (wore on plane)

That was it for clothing. Really and seriously. I hand washed bras and silk knits as I wore them and drip dried. The rest I sent out for laundering as needed. The skirts were as cool as the shorts, but when went to Pompeii and the Acropolis I was glad that I had shorts just for ease of movement over very uneven ground.

OTHER

Makeup bag (mine isn't overloaded with "what if stuff" but rather has only the things I use every week)

3-1-1 bag which included: Sample packet of Shampoo and conditioner to get me through the first day, small bottle of makeup remover, small tube of face cream, small tube of handcream, 2 ounce bottle of body oil (I used the last drops on our last day), travel size hair cream, travel size hairspray, 2 ounce face wash (was more than enough), 3 ounce bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, .25 ounce spray freshener from Yankee Candle, 2 ounce SPF 15 sunscreen I got as a sample

Other toiletries: Q-Tips (I like the real deal and they take no packing space), deodorant,

hairbrush, razor, nail clippers, tweezers, mini shower pouf

Prescription medications in original bottles

Small Zip Lock with packets of Immodium, Zantac, Advil, 3 days of DayQuil/NyQuil caplets, Neosporin gel packets and a few BandAids of varying sizes.

Mini umbrella

Camera and charger and memory cards

iPhone and charger

Netbook--never used and wouldn't take again, I used the iPhone daily though

Magazines which were given to others or recycled as I read them

When I got to Europe I bought a larger can of hairspray, and we ultimately needed to buy some cold medication and cough drops for my husband. I found the soap, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, and hand cream provided by our hotels and the cruise to be of high quality, so I used them. My husband likes a certain brand of soap and brought a bar with him, but he used the supplied shampoo and hand cream.

I also bought a blouse I liked, a Murano glass necklace and earring set, and a couple more scarves, but they were all very lightweight and took no room to pack on the way home.

I packed in a 20" (wheels to handle) Tumi roll on and a duffel style tote by Kipling (half of the tote was filled with the large, professional model DSLR that I brought). I also took my neck pillow which I did use on the plane. I hung it off the strap on the tote when in transport.

When choosing souvenirs we were very careful to choose very small, lightweight, non-fragile items.

We didn't have formal nights, if we did I would have brought a long black silk skirt and a dressy top, I could have fit it in.

Please ask if you have any questions, I hope this helps.

Edited to add:

Two other things I brought were a handful of Ziplocks in varying sizes. I can't remember what we used them for, but we definitely used some of them. They are a staple in my suitcase. I also brought my aluminum water bottle. I ditched the plastic a couple of years ago and never looked back. Particularly in Rome the water is clean, fresh pure. I filled my bottle in my hotel or on the ship each morning. Needed to refill at the ruins in Rome and the Acropolis, but the water fountains at both were safe. The water in Greece was OK but not as pure and amazing as the water in Rome.

I will never travel any other way than this again!

wow!!!! That's amazing!!!!!!

my only problem is i only travel to the US, so i have to have a big suitcase for all the stuff i buy there to bring back home!

otherwise i would love to go carry on only!!!

by the way, what's a broomstick skirt?

As the OP for this thread, it's been so interesting to read all the responses. Thank you!

The more research I do on packing lightly, and the more capsule wardrobes examples I look at on pinterest, polyvore, and websites like travel fashion girl, the more clearly I am seeing what I need to take with me. It's been really fun trying to plan it all! :D

Right now, here is my plan: ** = need to buy

3 skirts:

1. light grey super lightweight maxi skirt

2. grey, blue, orange maxi skirt (really cute pattern)

3. knee length skirt (probably black, stretchy)**

3 pants:

1. light grey cropped pant, very slim fitting and stretchy material

2. cargo capri pants, dark grey, by North Face

3. black yoga pants for the plane ride and down time **

3-4 dresses:

1. pink travel dress

2. grey/blue patterned travel dress

3. black dress, probably lightweight stretchy jersey or similar **

4. one more dress, for day tours **

4 Tanks for layering. Some with a shelf bra for layering and I have one black one by Ex-Officio that I found on sale at a travel store, that is loose fitting and would layer over something else. White, pink (have) Black, blue **

2 Sweaters:

1. soft white from Forever 21 that layers over top of a tank and is really light

2. heavier cardigan for the plane or if it is cooler in London **

4-5 tops:

1. blue and white scarf pattern short sleeve blouse

2. sheer long sleeve button up that ties in the front (sleeves can roll up) **

3. two t-shirts, not sure but probably one white and one colour, with sleeves, light weight **

4. black top **

Sandals:

1. taos black leather

2. taos brown leather

3. hopefully a very small pair of black ballet flats if I can squish them in

2 Nighties

Undies (can wash in the sink)

I don't know yet if this will work, but when I lay everything out on the bed that I already have, I can see the outfits I can wear from them. Plus, they all seem to be good lightweight material that (hopefully) will pack small. I took a trip to San Diego 3 weeks ago with my Mom and took quite a bit in a carry on. More than I thought I could take. So hopefully with some smart packing I will be fine. As long as stuff can be washed and hung to dry and (I HOPE) doesn't look horrible afterwards, I don't mind re-wearing things over and over again.

They say you should do some hand-washing at home to see how things will turn out. I still have some stuff to look for, which is a tough job but I guess I'm up for it :D

Only about 83 days to go now!

Edited by sweetpea222

As the OP for this thread, it's been so interesting to read all the responses. Thank you!

The more research I do on packing lightly, and the more capsule wardrobes examples I look at on pinterest, polyvore, and websites like travel fashion girl, the more clearly I am seeing what I need to take with me. It's been really fun trying to plan it all! :D

3 skirts:

3 pants:

3-4 dresses:

1. pink travel dress

4 Tanks for layering. Some with a shelf bra for layering and I have one black one by Ex-Officio that I found on sale at a travel store, that is loose fitting and would layer over something else. White, pink (have) Black, blue **

2 Sweaters:

1. soft white from Forever 21 that layers over top of a tank and is really light

4-5 tops:

3. two t-shirts, not sure but probably one white and one colour, with sleeves, light weight **

4. black top **

Sandals:

1. taos black leather

2. taos brown leather

2 Nighties

I don't know yet if this will work, but when I lay everything out on the bed that I already have, I can see the outfits I can wear from them. Plus, they all seem to be good lightweight material that (hopefully) will pack small. I took a trip to San Diego 3 weeks ago with my Mom and took quite a bit in a carry on. More than I thought I could take. So hopefully with some smart packing I will be fine. As long as stuff can be washed and hung to dry and (I HOPE) doesn't look horrible afterwards, I don't mind re-wearing things over and over again.

They say you should do some hand-washing at home to see how things will turn out. I still have some stuff to look for, which is a tough job but I guess I'm up for it :D

Your plan looks great! The only thing that I would advise you to add is something warmer than a sweater. Maybe a waterproof jacket that could work with other things for layering. We went to UK in June and were FREEZING!!! It was in the mid-50's with rain and a strong wind. It wasn't a storm that blew through in 24 hours, it was like that all week. Our warmest layer was a light windbreaker. BAD IDEA. We all bought sweatshirts, but wished we'd taken waterproof jackets.

I wondered about the UK weather. Hoping for sunshine but you just never know. Maybe best to take a light jacket and wear it on the plane. Thanks!

I'll check out footsy rolls...never heard of those before. My eyes read tootsie rolls at first. :)

3 skirts:

3 pants:

3-4 dresses:

1. pink travel dress

2 Sweaters:

4-5 tops:

4. black top **

Sandals:

1. taos black leather

2. taos brown leather

2 Nighties

seems like too much to me! for example, why do you need two nighties??

and why so many dresses and skirts?

you're taking about 3 times what i take with me when i go to the states for 6 weeks.....

i actually take very few clothes with me when i travel - i just end up with a big suitcase since i buy stuff in the US to take home - i have to buy clothes and shoes for DH and DS - because they're super tall with super long arms, i can't get them anything here....so i stock up when i'm in america :) (e.g. 38 inch shirt sleeve, 36 inch trouser inseam, size 14 shoes) -

when i was in the states in november, i bought DS ten gorgeous 38 inch sleeve designer dress shirts at the lord and taylor outlet for a mere $20/shirt - perry ellis, ralph lauren, etc really beautiful and they fit him!!!!!!!!

there isn't a store here that ever has a shirt with a 38 inch sleeve -

actually on that trip i ended up bringing back 4 suitcases!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: since i went so crazy shopping....you can do a lot of shopping damage in 6 weeks in detroit - not much else to do but shop till you drop

Edited by alaska_planner

Hi all.

Everyone adjust their packing lists to suit them...I love all the sharing and was on onebag.com reading more good stuff...

I have tossed stuff in my suitcase for my future 2 week trip and right now there are FOUR nighties and one ss top, lightweight pants set....I bet one nightie gets tossed offthe pile down the road....

So...We are cruising....and those 4 nighties & pants set

weigh LESS than one pair of my regular jammies....

I love to wear different things to bed cause my husband enjoys them ;).

BUT in my case, I do not pack bras....

so that added weight I do not use

is balanced by the added nighties anyway...

Right now I have 4 skirts in my pile...all sale items

I feel those 4 skirts weigh less than one pair of jeans...

A 5.99 Fresh Produce teal skirt with fishies on it from Marshalls....very fun

A white LL Bean skirt bought on clearance...under 10$

A super light weight beige skirt from Columbia I tend to use over my

bathing suit because it is super fast drying.

A black sports type fabric- Columbia also....love it..but when I cull items....if I do not have a few different ways to use the black one (due to its fabric) it will stay home...

My bottoms so far

one pair Adidas shorts to exercise in...

one pair white CK capri pants

one pair beige long shorts

possibly a pair of salmon lightweight duck type free LL Bean fabric pants-I might travel in them or

I will travel in....khaki long pants..already wrinkly fabric...soft waistband with pockets...misplaced them...hahaha but I have time to find them!

I will be bringing dresses for dinner.....so this is why I try to be super aware of what my casual clothes wear..and why I could not get down to one carry-on.

If I was just land touring, I would be doing the one carry-on bag...but

my goal this year will be to try to eliminate a carry-on this year...

I will try to just have my large Vera Bradley Miller bag

with my purse, meds,nook etc. in it....

I used an ultra light carry on that was wheeled for last years 12 day cruise, but I HATED the long bar of the handle....

It's staying home, or I would take my spinner carry-on if I need room for shoes ;)

It is so hard to figure out shoes...

The LEAST AMOUNT to take that will work with everything...

1. I have a new pair of Reef sandals...wore sandals a lot last year touring etc.

2. Will wear deck shoes for flight travel and some touring

3. Sneakers for exercise

4. One dressier but casual sandal for on ship dresses, white flats probably to save weight in the suitcase.

5. One pair of silver heels (left them home last year and missed having them on formal nights)....if they stay home- a dressy black heels that goes with a lot more gets added...

If I was land touring....it would be EZ-sneaks, sandals, and deck shoes...

It's a fun puzzle ot figure out...

Bernadette

So much of what you bring depends on where you're going, how long you'll be gone, what you'll be doing, etc. There is definitely no "one size fits all"

Luckily for me, our cruise is with NCL so the skirts/dresses I bring should be good enough for dinner. I imagine we'll be pooped after a long day touring, too, so won't want to have to get too fancied up when we get back. I want to be relaxed, not stressed, so will make the most of whatever I bring and won't worry about it. Hopefully :rolleyes:

I'll take 2 nighties, and make them the super light silky ones so I can easily wash them in the sink and hang to dry. They shouldn't take up much space at all in my carry on.

I am going to make a list of what I still need to buy and start looking. It's tough but someone's got to do it :D

one thing about the Summer Med cruise...it is a 2 shower a day cruise....

We would wake up...shower up...get going...come back after a long day in the hot sun and would rehydrate...get a snack...relax a bit and shower before dinner...

I am not a 2 shower a day person...but on the Med cruise,,,it was a must...

So we like to go to the dining room..and be waited on

.which means for me...

dry my hair, put on mascara...pair of underwear and shoes...slip on dress and out the door...

If I was not wearing dresses, I would have been doing a lot more laundry....

Bernadette

I agree, and I plan on wearing dresses or skirts for the most part, for the hottest days we're touring. The two I have so far are both travel material, that apparently wicks moisture away and (hopefully) I'll be able to wash them in the sink and hang them to dry during the day.

I have also heard of a laundry special the ship runs about halfway through the 12 day cruise, where you can fill a bag for one (relatively) reasonable price. That will have to do for our hard to wash items.

I'll have my two 12 year old girls and hubby with me, so might be doing a fair bit of hand washing every evening. Hoping to have fabrics that will dry overnight for the most part.

I agree, and I plan on wearing dresses or skirts for the most part, for the hottest days we're touring. The two I have so far are both travel material, that apparently wicks moisture away and (hopefully) I'll be able to wash them in the sink and hang them to dry during the day.

I have also heard of a laundry special the ship runs about halfway through the 12 day cruise, where you can fill a bag for one (relatively) reasonable price. That will have to do for our hard to wash items.

I'll have my two 12 year old girls and hubby with me, so might be doing a fair bit of hand washing every evening. Hoping to have fabrics that will dry overnight for the most part.

FYI--

Ship laundries wash on hot and dry on hot. Good for jeans and other durable things.

Be prepared for hot and humid weather.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...
Have you ever shopped Chicos? They have a line of clothing called Travelers that is made to mix and match and pack easily and rinse out in the sink. Get a basic cami with matching pants - then mix up with two or 3 great tops. Get a dress and/or skirt and you're done. Plus accessories, of course!

Chicos travelers are great for mix and match and they don't wrinkle. I have a set that I use for formal nights. The big problem with them is that they are very heavy! If you like that style though, Belk has a similar line called Choices and JJill has Wearever. I'm sure there are others. If you are going to a hot climate, this fabric doesn't breathe very well, so can be really hot to wear.

wow!!!! That's amazing!!!!!!

my only problem is i only travel to the US, so i have to have a big suitcase for all the stuff i buy there to bring back home!

otherwise i would love to go carry on only!!!

by the way, what's a broomstick skirt?

It's a skirt that is made of a crinkled, gauzy fabric--usually cotton. You twist it up to let it dry so the crinkles stay in. Easy and breezy for travel.

I think they're calling them crinkle skirts now. I'm in the broomstick generation too, but have never worn one myself. They look great for travel because the start wrinkled. (I'm just not a skirt wearer.) Travelsmith has a couple styles:

T_WithoutZoom?$product_cart_thumb$&$src=24182_main&$B5=morecolors

T_WithoutZoom?$product_cart_thumb$&$src=24174_main

I remember my Mom wearing them and she'd put a rubber band at the top and the bottom and one in the middle before putting it in the suitcase. I guess it kept it tightly bound to keep the crinkles right.

Edited by 5326jan

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I are going to Europe for 3 weeks, both a mix of land and sea. We are staying in apartments that have a washer and of course the ship has laundry. I am planning on buying one of these bags for each of us:

http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-on-Luggage/Air-Boss/91018/100/Product

We will have a lot of train travel so I only want a carry on each. The tips on this post are fantastic.

Thanks!

My family and I are going to Europe for 3 weeks, both a mix of land and sea. We are staying in apartments that have a washer and of course the ship has laundry. I am planning on buying one of these bags for each of us:

http://www.redoxx.com/Airline-Carry-on-Luggage/Air-Boss/91018/100/Product

We will have a lot of train travel so I only want a carry on each. The tips on this post are fantastic.

Thanks!

I understand those are wonderful bags. But before you plunk down the money, you might also consider the Patagonia Maximum Legal Carry-on (MLC) bag. It's got a lot of the same features. I bought one just over a year ago and I really like it.

I just used it plus a medium sized suitcase for a 14-day cruise plus 5 days in Rome. I was able -- as a solo traveler -- to get myself and my luggage from the terminal in Venice onto the vaporetto, off at the train station, and on and off the train to Rome with zero problems. :) And it holds a lot.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mlc-maximum-legal-carry-on-bag?p=48107-0-155

Edited by cruisemom42

The MLC is a great bag. And, it's less expensive and lighter than the Red Oxx. Now, the Air Boss is also a great bag. Another site that I frequent has a lot of business people/road warriors using the Air Boss.

Another bag to consider would be the eBags MotherLode TLC. It's a quarter of the price of the Air Boss. I've had one of these for years and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. Also the Osprey Transporter 46 at 1.7lbs is good, as is the Osprey Porter 46 at 2.7lbs. I've got a Porter 46 and it's bigger 65 sibling. Osprey has a good lifetime guarantee. I just used my Osprey Sojourn 25" wheeled convertible bag for my 8 days in Europe. It was just that bag. My "carryon" was a bag that held my camera, Ipad Mini, my Bose headphones, and my inflatable footrest. The Sojourn weighed 26 lbs when I checked it in. It was 30 lbs when I came home (bought a few things).