One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

Hi, Ducklite, are you talking about the EF cotton twill ankle pants? (No waistband or pockets, just narrow elastic at the waist with side zip and button closure.) If so, these are one of Eileen Fisher's ongoing designs that she updates now and then. I have them in khaki that I bought earlier this year and they hold up well to travel and everyday wear. They go with just about everything, are not heavy, but substantial enough to keep their shape and as said, if dried in a dryer, they do not need to be ironed.

Edited by Chloe1500

I hated crocs until this year when I bought 2 pairs of their sandals. 1 pair flat and the other with a 1 inch wedge. They are all I´ve worn this summer, so comfy. I needed a pair of flats with closed in toes for our cruise next year, I tried on the leopard crocs, but didn´t like them, too plasticky (if thats a word) and also they gaped when walking. Br prepared for very hot sticky days in July and August when sight seeing. You´ll need comfy shoes to cope with the cobbles and pavements in Rome and Barca, so something with an ankle strap might be good.

I loved looking at some of the mix and match deals, but being short and tubby I prefer dresses these days

Sandy in Spain

Are these the bi-stretch (or I think they call it double-weave now) ones? If so, I find them to be on the heavy side for travel. The pants are a mainstay of my work wardrobe though. Do you know if the Eileen Fisher ones are heavy like that? If so, that's not what I'm looking for....

Also, I'm looking at the Talbots website and a lot of the slim fit ankle pants they feature have a very wide wrap waistband. (Not too flattering on me.)

The Eileen Fisher pants are a lighter weight cotton. They are actually lighter weight than normal chinos from the Gap or someplace like that.

Hi, Ducklite, are you talking about the EF cotton twill ankle pants? (No waistband or pockets, just narrow elastic at the waist with side zip and button closure.) If so, these are one of Eileen Fisher's ongoing designs that she updates now and then. I have them in khaki that I bought earlier this year and they hold up well to travel and everyday wear. They go with just about everything, are not heavy, but substantial enough to keep their shape and as said, if dried in a dryer, they do not need to be ironed.

Yes, that's them. They've been a staple in my wardrobe for 12 years now--I still have (and wear) their first pair I ever bought.

Yes, that's them. They've been a staple in my wardrobe for 12 years now--I still have (and wear) their first pair I ever bought.

Well, I love Eileen Fisher. It just seems that when you find what you love, you have to stick with it! The clothes are so spendy but the fabrics, especially the knits and sweaters, are better than most anything one can buy these days and really do last a long time.

Talbots & Talbots OUtlet have some very cute slim fit ankle pants (I have two pairs) that are cheaper than Eileen Fisher - they fit me quite well. The ones I have are front zipper (I actually hate a side zip) but I've seen side zip options too if that's your preference. They've had a slim fit option for a few years, so they're out there if you want them:p

I brought the black pair (with a matching jacket) as part of my pared down wardrobe on a business trip to China last year - did great!

I just bought a pair .It was meant to be because today I received a 25% coupon with free shipping from Talbots. Thanks !

Here are the pants I took to Europe & handwashed in the sink. I have them in navy & stone, and am stunned that Talbots has them on clearance because they are super quality.

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi28122&rootCategory=cat90030&catId=cat120052&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90030

I'm going to buy a couple more pairs while they still have them because they are a great weight for pretty much year round.

You can order from Talbots online and have it delivered to Canada, or maybe check a local store.

Another place to check is CABI. Don't know if her stuff is available in Canada yet. It's sold in at-home stores and at outlets here. I bought a pair of stretchy pants there last winter and they are great for travel - especially for the plane. I slept in mine and they held up well (i.e., no puckering knees!).

Those are really cute pants! I wish they came in a darker greyish colour though...:( Some of the prices are great at the Talbot's website, I'm just going to have to check the shipping charges to Canada. So the fabric that holds up seems to be a blend. Most of the pants shown as examples are either poly/viscous/spandex or cotton/spandex.

I'm thinking the fabric is going to be really important, both for weight, shape, how they hold up to washing, etc.

it's a bit of a challenge, but definately doable! Lots of mix and match, easy care fabrics and limit the number of shoes.

Check out "The Vivienne Files" blog (especially her "not so crazy eights" section) for wardrobe packing inspiration.

The hard part for me is the toiletries. I seem to use a lot of products :rolleyes:

I would love to do carry-on only for our upcoming trip, but we are restricted to 8kg (~18 pounds) on Lufthansa. The U.S. domestic carriers have a more generous allowance, and we were able to do it on United a few years ago.

critterchick: you can still pack in the carry-on. Just check it on Lufthansa. You still have the ease of portability for the rest of your trip. I do that occasionally if I know a flight is going to be packed and I don't want to hassle with trying to find a spot for my bag in the overhead. But, once I land and get my bag, it's smooth traveling on the train, subway, walking over the cobbles and bridges in Venice, etc. And, I KNOW I can fit in a taxi in Europe ;)

My packing list is pretty similar in form from ducklite. I have 2 pair of pants (depending on time of year, it could be jeans and a pair of dark chinos or a pair of lightweight travel cargos and dark chinos), several plain Tshirts of different colors, one long sleeved buttoned shirt. I have a favorite black traveler's dress I picked up years ago from Sahalie online. It is a slightly styled Tshirt dress that can be work as casually or as dressy as I want - it's the accessories that change it. Depending on where I'm going, my jacket can be my black leather one that I picked up at the Scoula di Couio in Florence or my trusty and classic jean jacket. My shoes are my black Jambu sandals that are very similar to their newer Water Diva sandals and either my trail runners or my hiking boots (depending on what I'm doing). The Jambus work for all day walking or my going-out-on-the-town shoes. I also only pack 4 pair of undies and I sleep in a cami. Washing clothes is part of my activities - I've met some very nice locals at the local laundramat!!! On the ship, I just know I'll spend a little money on getting some clothes washed if I can't do it myself in the bathroom sink.

If you don't like the Sahalie dress, there are two dresses from Eileen Fisher in the Garnet Hill catalog/website. One is V-neck and one is long sleeve, but very packable.

critterchick: you can still pack in the carry-on. Just check it on Lufthansa. You still have the ease of portability for the rest of your trip. I do that occasionally if I know a flight is going to be packed and I don't want to hassle with trying to find a spot for my bag in the overhead. But, once I land and get my bag, it's smooth traveling on the train, subway, walking over the cobbles and bridges in Venice, etc. And, I KNOW I can fit in a taxi in Europe ;)

The main reason that I try to take a carry on size bag is to avoid the baggage claim carousel. For this trip, since I'm going to check a bag anyway, I'll go up in size to a 25" or 26" bag. I can manage that easily and can lift it into an overhead bin if I have to (or get DH to do it for me:D). Luckily on this trip we will only be using the train (with luggage) to get to the pier for the first leg of our B2B cruise.

My stalwart 21" carry on bag (Jos. A Banks) that has been to Europe and Australia with me weighs 6 pounds more than my new 25" (Victorinox) bag.:eek: So the larger bag will actually weigh less, since most of the extra stuff that I'll pack in there won't weigh 6 pounds.

And I bought a new carryon, too, so I can actually put something in it before it goes over the weight allowance.

Edited by critterchick

I thought I would update the discussion re: pants. I ordered 4 pairs of cropped and ankle pants from Talbots' online sale (2 pair black, 2 pair khaki, 2 different styles).

Unfortunately, I have to report that the fit was off on one style (the ankle-zip style) for me, and the other 2 pair, which were a side-zip style had a very weird closure with a flap that gets in the way of the zipper operation.

I am returning all four pairs. I have ordered a pair of the Eileen Fisher style; I hope I will have more success with them.

Here are the pants I took to Europe & handwashed in the sink. I have them in navy & stone, and am stunned that Talbots has them on clearance because they are super quality.

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi28122&rootCategory=cat90030&catId=cat120052&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90030

I'm going to buy a couple more pairs while they still have them because they are a great weight for pretty much year round.

You can order from Talbots online and have it delivered to Canada, or maybe check a local store.

Another place to check is CABI. Don't know if her stuff is available in Canada yet. It's sold in at-home stores and at outlets here. I bought a pair of stretchy pants there last winter and they are great for travel - especially for the plane. I slept in mine and they held up well (i.e., no puckering knees!).

Just received a pair of these in navy. Ordered with some reservations - I had visions of zippers at the ankles. They fit well and on my shorter legs are full length -- just as I had hoped. Thanks for the posting!

The bigggest issue you may have is the weather..it will be hot and you will thus want cool cottons which don't wash too well in a sink. For evening a plain black dress...(check out chicos.) preferably sleeveless. It could be worn for day and night. with shawls, scarfs. I like broomstick skirts which are easily washed.

Shoes are tricky. I went around the world for a month with two pairs of shoes plus the ones I wore. I swear by Mephisto "light Hiking" boots for day. I also took a pair of black flat slides and Ballet flats with good support by Ara.

Just an update to something I posted earlier in this thread..I actually called Danskin to see if they still had the "wardrobe in a bag" thing I mentioned, they discontinued it in 2004 because another company had bought out that division of Danskin that made it. The person I spoke to in customer service remembered it and said it had been very popular.

Harrodsfan: Not to derail the thread, but had a question..see your from Newport Beach and am headed to the Marriott Newport Beach Spa for a week long business trip on Sept. 10..hows' the weather there that time of year? Am following this thread to get ideas because I don't want to bring many clothes due to bringing back a lot of research material for a project I'm going there for. Also, LOVE Harrods of London..my favorite shop!

The bigggest issue you may have is the weather..it will be hot and you will thus want cool cottons which don't wash too well in a sink. For evening a plain black dress...(check out chicos.) preferably sleeveless. It could be worn for day and night. with shawls, scarfs. I like broomstick skirts which are easily washed.

Shoes are tricky. I went around the world for a month with two pairs of shoes plus the ones I wore. I swear by Mephisto "light Hiking" boots for day. I also took a pair of black flat slides and Ballet flats with good support by Ara.

We've just come back from Europe. Paris was certainly cool and we needed a jacket at night time. Italy was hot as was Spain and Southern France. I thought about doing the backpack carry on but could not do it because of the airline restrictions on things like liquids (deodorant, makeup, etc etc) and sharp things like nail scissors etc). These have to be checked in.

I did travel with just a small suitcase though. I used red, black and white as a colour scheme. Anything I wore had to go with at least two other things. Scarves, European women wear scarves and different scarves change an outfit. They also work well as sun shields, and to cover bare shoulders in churches.

We didn't go formal. My dinner shoes were flat black ones.

I received a pair of the Talbots pants that were recommended yesterday.They fit like a dream and I love the flat front and slim fit . They will go perfectly with a silk blouse I have .Thanks for the recommendation . At $18 they were a great buy !

I just got my pair of brown Talbot's pants with self belt and a hint of stretch in the material. Pants started at $94 and I paid $23 plus tax. I needed to hem but that is always (short legs but not short body). I think they are a great buy. I buy at so many places and so many price points. Variety is the spice of shopping.

I know the pain of trying to take everything you need in limited luggage. We will be 30 days in Asia 14 days on land (or in the air:) ) and a 16 day cruise on Diamond Princess. Because of flights inside of China can only take 40 pounds in suitcase and 10 pounds of carryon. The weather is going to be 95 degrees F. (Bangkok) to 35F (Beijing in Nov. ). Hot and cold cruise and land. Lotions and potions are the worst offenders because I don't like the smell of Princess products and some lotions shampoos make me itch. I think 4 pair of pants, 2 capri, 2 dresses, 2 skirts and assorted tops. Formal wear will be a single silky top with skirt then pants and one of dresses with a silky thin jacket. I hate the packing. I become an obsessed w/b with an itch.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

We've just come back from Europe. Paris was certainly cool and we needed a jacket at night time.

Good to know, thanks. Would a cardigan work for nighttime? Or should I be thinking of a jacket? I don't have anything really nice, mostly just hoody type jackets and then winter ones. Maybe I'll have to put that on my shopping list :D

Good to know, thanks. Would a cardigan work for nighttime? Or should I be thinking of a jacket? I don't have anything really nice, mostly just hoody type jackets and then winter ones. Maybe I'll have to put that on my shopping list :D

Check the forecast before you leave and use the temperature as a guide for YOU.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/FRXX0076

50s at night for ME means a cotton cardigan is likely all I'd need. But if you're used to the 80s all the time, you might want something heavier. Or if you're from Minnesota, maybe you'll still be in shorts:p

Edited by Hoyaheel